Give purged AIs full antag permissions

Tarhalindur
Byond Username: Tarhalindur

Give purged AIs full antag permissions

Post by Tarhalindur » #640445

Purged AIs are currently required to not be a douche without a good reason, similar to normal crew.
At the time this was implemented, the reasoning was that otherwise it became impossible to fix an AI if its laws got fucked up - doing so required purging it briefly, and the mechanics at the time allowed the AI to quickly power off the upload (or stun you) in the brief moment they were purged, whereupon they would then get ready to do Bad Things.

Now, however, purging is unnecessary to correct an AI's lawset. Reset removes all non-core laws, and Asimov will remove any (bad) core laws.
Purge is thus mostly the realm of antagonists (befitting its position as a red-table board). I would thus like it to, indeed, produce a shuttle call-y result as its position in the upload suggests.

The only real legitimate use-case for non-antags using purge is if freeform core also spawns and they want to use it to make a custom lawset. This would make that harder, but you can get around it by grabbing the spare upload board, building it in maint or somewhere else the AI can't see, and performing the maneuver there.
Fairly sure there aren't any other unintended negative effects.

tl;dr: the purge ruling's unnecessary now, remove it
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Give purged AIs full antag permissions

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #640461

I made a similar policy thread trying to acomplish the same goals not too long ago, which ironically resulted in the very change you are complaining about.
I'm not confident that this will be changed this headmin term because of this.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #640465

As mentioned in other threads, I fully support this.

Purged AI restrictions are a policy band-aid for a code problem that no longer exists.

I would suggest that, if someone - anyone - purges you, you should give them a ~60 second grace period to upload any new funny or chill laws (Lawset of "1. Don't be a dick" and nothing else, etc.) they're trying to, and if they don't do anything in that time period, all bets are off.

If absolutely necessary, I'm sure that it wouldn't be hard to bounty a quick code thing that purged AIs get an alert when that time period lapses.

Or, we can just ask people to be robust enough to pregame the purge board and the freeform board and have one in each hand and just pop them off one after another, since click-rate limiting (another code problem that had to be addressed by it) is also gone.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #640474

As said in this thread, this has already been settled by this term and I see no reason to retread this.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<