Is it metacomming to advertise a player event?

Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Is it metacomming to advertise a player event?

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #641318

I would personally like to run a paint club every week and advertise it on the forums but then I obviously come into the issue of the metacomming rule but I think this should be an expectation to the rule. Personally, I think in the letter of law I am in wrong but in the spirit of the law I think am not because am not giving away any information about antags, round ending events or other happenings beyond the fact am doing this secondary event to the round and I am doing for the solo reason of getting awareness and not to grief the round. Advertising of events has also happened in the past with things such as the winter ball advertised a month in advance as well as other events like DF and other admin fuckery which polled before it happened with people on the server at the time. The difference being all these examples are with admins deciding to do these things and not players as well as the power to prevent trolling/griefing and disabling antags etc.

Pros:
A good player made event could be a lot of fun
Adds a shake up to a round and something to look forward too
Gives a game a sense of community in game

Cons:
Lack of abitity to deal with trollers/griefers if there are no admins (There are tools to send an urgent a help obviously but if someone max caps your event as a non antag then you lose the momentum you built up with advertising)
Antags could just fuck your shit if you are on lrp (It is what it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Re: Is it metacomming to advertise a player event?

Post by tattle » #641323

This sounds like a fun idea; I would show up for it. Would also enjoy other player-driven events that don't necessarily require admins to run (learning mechanics, creative projects). But keeping it out of the "metacomms" category, maybe it should go in a thread on the forums?

We technically have a "player events" subforum but it is criminally underused and ideas kind of just go there to die (I don't see that changing anytime soon unless this thread becomes a catalyst for change 👀).
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #641328

This is definitely the sort of thing that should be encouraged 👍
[this space reserved]
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #641358

Shellton(Mario) wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:04 pm I would personally like to run a paint club every week and advertise it on the forums but then I obviously come into the issue of the metacomming rule but I think this should be an expectation to the rule. Personally, I think in the letter of law I am in wrong but in the spirit of the law I think am not because am not giving away any information about antags, round ending events or other happenings beyond the fact am doing this secondary event to the round and I am doing for the solo reason of getting awareness and not to grief the round. Advertising of events has also happened in the past with things such as the winter ball advertised a month in advance as well as other events like DF and other admin fuckery which polled before it happened with people on the server at the time. The difference being all these examples are with admins deciding to do these things and not players as well as the power to prevent trolling/griefing and disabling antags etc.

Pros:
A good player made event could be a lot of fun
Adds a shake up to a round and something to look forward too
Gives a game a sense of community in game

Cons:
Lack of abitity to deal with trollers/griefers if there are no admins (There are tools to send an urgent a help obviously but if someone max caps your event as a non antag then you lose the momentum you built up with advertising)
Antags could just fuck your shit if you are on lrp (It is what it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
I don't think any communication BEFORE a round starts is considered metacomms. A group of friends agreeing to do a gimmick in advance wouldn't be considered metacomms either since you aren't able to share round critical info before the round actually starts.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #641359

My personal view.

We've had cases where this has gone both good and bad.

A good example is the Bella Rouge and Tewi Inaba IC wedding, and then after that Dean Ivanov and Jill DeSouza got IC married too. Both were varying degrees of player control, the former being driven more as an admin event, and the latter being driven as a player event with no intervention. Both were great and I would have been super bummed if I were not in the know that they were going to happen. I don't see any problem with these.

A bad example is what sometimes happens in marathons where people plan out large construction projects or similar (like this goes here, that goes here, take this gear for X player, etc etc etc), and then their characters just Know what they're doing. I don't really like this because it encourages a lot more cliquishness, and it excludes other people from the round by necessity. For example, in marathons I've only ever really taken to knowing who I'm going to be pairing up with, but all our more specific communication happens in game.

That's my view. Communicating about plans you have for rounds is okay, but you should try to keep the majority of the specifics handled inside the round itself.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #641407

Mothblocks wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:15 am A good example is the Bella Rouge and Tewi Inaba IC wedding, and then after that Dean Ivanov and Jill DeSouza got IC married too. Both were varying degrees of player control, the former being driven more as an admin event, and the latter being driven as a player event with no intervention. Both were great and I would have been super bummed if I were not in the know that they were going to happen. I don't see any problem with these.
Are metaclique wankfest "weddings" really the best examples of player-run events we have? I'm asking honestly here- I want to understand the breadth of what we consider good player-run events. If they're all going to be like boring weddings then I can't see why metacomms would ever be necessary, or ever be a problem.
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #641408

They're just a good example that come to mind on something that I have enjoyed that was communicated outside of the round itself.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #641414

Farquaar wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 pm Are metaclique wankfest "weddings" really the best examples of player-run events we have? I'm asking honestly here- I want to understand the breadth of what we consider good player-run events. If they're all going to be like boring weddings then I can't see why metacomms would ever be necessary, or ever be a problem.
"metaclique" in both cases everyone on station was invited, in fact tewi and bella's was admin run for the most part and EVERYONE online was in it
but you don't like static naming and have made that clear, that's not the point of this thread. you simply decided to walk in to complain about people having friendships and developing their characters
basically dont be an anti-fun loser just because you dont like how others play within the rules

and I don't think people should metacomm because you cant control who on station is in it and you can walk out anytime
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #641463

I think this is fine but I'd also encourage you to get an admin involved to help give it some legitimacy and make sure it's not going to toe that line of metacomms.

If this is something you're interested in, I'd be more than happy to help out if you want to reach out to me in DMs or on Discord.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #641468

Farquaar wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 pm
Mothblocks wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:15 am A good example is the Bella Rouge and Tewi Inaba IC wedding, and then after that Dean Ivanov and Jill DeSouza got IC married too. Both were varying degrees of player control, the former being driven more as an admin event, and the latter being driven as a player event with no intervention. Both were great and I would have been super bummed if I were not in the know that they were going to happen. I don't see any problem with these.
Are metaclique wankfest "weddings" really the best examples of player-run events we have? I'm asking honestly here- I want to understand the breadth of what we consider good player-run events. If they're all going to be like boring weddings then I can't see why metacomms would ever be necessary, or ever be a problem.
this person doesn't get invited to weddings
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #641481

iamgoofball wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:42 amthis person doesn't get invited to weddings
If I got invited to a wedding where a giant bug creature and combustible purple skeleton were tying the knot, I'd stay home.
► Show Spoiler
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #641485

Farquaar wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:39 pm
iamgoofball wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:42 amthis person doesn't get invited to weddings
If I got invited to a wedding where a giant bug creature and combustible purple skeleton were tying the knot, I'd stay home.
Sounds like you solved your problem with ingame weddings too <3
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #641492

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:00 pmSounds like you solved your problem with ingame weddings too <3
What problem?
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #641499

Keep the thread on topic please

Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #644456

This ruling is limited specifically to public, community-focused events such as paint clubs, writing/literature clubs, etc. There is a clear benefit in protecting these because of their positive impact on the community.

We feel that because of the associated benefits that announcing or advertising these events in advance should not fall under metacomming rules. Once in the shift, all communication about it must be done IC from that point.

Player-driven good-faith community-focused events are amazing and we'd like to see them supported fully by the admin team as a whole. The rules can always be bent/exceptions made by the admin team to facilitate positive community things.

Mlemblocks: Approved above
Mlemblert: Approved above
Mlemberploes: Approved above
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin