Let admins give out antag tokens more freely

WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Let admins give out antag tokens more freely

Post by WineAllWine » #647905

The current rules for antag tokens are:
► Show Spoiler
I think admins should be trusted to give out antag tokens for good behaviour or roleplay or whatever. Thoughts?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Let admins give out antag tokens more freely

Post by Shadowflame909 » #647906

Agreed! Admin Restriction on events should be looser too. (Whatever those are)
► Show Spoiler
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #647908

I used to give out NabskiCoins on occasion. They weren't quite antag tokens but they were to be redeemed by me (or anyone else willing) for a minor boon. This restriction wasn't an issue because I was adminning about 75% of my nonwork waking hours (which turned out to not be fine in the end).

They were as you said, given out for good behaviour or roleplay.
Things that come to mind were guiding newer players through rounds, reporting bugs that they found on github, participating well in an event (typically when I needed "someone from centcomm" as a ghost role), winning musical chairs, building a very elaborate BSA but not getting a chance to fire it.

Half the time it never even made it into the note record and was just instantly redeemed for something silly, as was intended.

They were inspired by someone having given out a hat token, redeemable for one hat of their choice.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #647924

Antag tokens are about the single least interesting thing you can possibly give a player as a reward.

What I suggest the admin team do instead is precisely what Nabski did. When we last discussed Admin Tokens last term, Hulk mentioned he did exatly the same thing too.

If you want to give a reward to players that is intended to last past the current shift, my advice is do Fun Tokens instead.

Fun Tokens has never been a problem, I believe players tend to enjoy them a lot more and they are arguably far healther for the game.

And it wouldn't require a change in policy, because admins have always been able to reward players what do real gud shit on da servers.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #647945

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:43 pm Antag tokens are about the single least interesting thing you can possibly give a player as a reward.

What I suggest the admin team do instead is precisely what Nabski did. When we last discussed Admin Tokens last term, Hulk mentioned he did exatly the same thing too.
Would you be happy to make a headmin proclamation that we're alllowed to give out 'fun' tokens? I've been scared to give such things in the past
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #647958

what is a fun token
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #647992

cybersaber101 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:06 am what is a fun token
Pretty much what Nabski described. It's an alternative to an antag token that's good for some fun admemery.

We had an admin team meeting last term and as part of that I discussed how we apply antag token policy (spoiler: Speakling as a headmin 6 months after that meeting, a majority of the tokens handed out don't comply with out internal policy on them).

I have the following notes written down about fun tokens as a preferred alternative to antag tokens.
Hulkamania giving out Hulk Tokens, which allows players to trade in for a random admin boon of Hulk’s choosing such as a funny piece of clothing or interesting item. This may be a healthier alternative where a full antag token isn’t really called for.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #647993

True. There is a lot of stuff admins have in the admin vault that I'd like to see more often.

Whens the last time you guys have seen a Gangs Uzi? A great weapon forgone and forgotten.
► Show Spoiler
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #648000

Why not both?

I feel like gatekeeping antag sololy behind a d(Current server pop) is just bad and makes players who high roll do the samething that is most powerful and prevents creative. I think if admins were allowed to hand out tokens on a 1-2 week cd per admin for people who do fun/creative stuff or just for being a good sport will translate that into being an antag.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #648010

Fun tokens are already able to be given out pretty freely

Antag tokens are a bit narrower and IMO should be because
  1. they imply that antag rounds are more valuable in some way, which we're trying to avoid
  2. they're "generalized," in the sense that if someone cashes in an antag token I go "cool here you go" and there are no strings attached, no requirement to be fun for everyone with it, etc.
  3. in Anno Dynamic, most rounds are EXTREMELY antag-overloaded by the one-hour mark
  4. if someone is going to do smaller cool stuff, they can ahelp to ask for it anyway (e.g. "I need a mech action figure for another character's birthday gift, admins help help help"), but a fun token/adminopoly money indicates that we expect they'll do Fun Things for everyone and can be trusted with Ideas
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #651004

Is this something that was decided on?

If so, is this going to be used to revamp the current written forum post on antagonist tokens?

Or...

Will a section be added to that thread regarding 'fun tokens' to have it written down somewhere for futures sake and to be pointed at when needed?
Hugs
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #651020

I, personally, don't want admins giving antag tokens out more freely. I feel antag tokens are one of the single least interesting rewards that an admin can give to a player and I would prefer them consigned to either community drives where no better reward can be thought of (such as Wiki drives or code drives) or to when an admin monumentally fucks up a shift before any antags have had a chance to get the ball rolling and the admin cannot do anything to remedy the situation without resorting to an antag token.

There are plenty of alternatives admins can do to reward players who do cool stuff. Fun tokens are simple one such example that fall into the broad category of positive notes - In this case positive notes with adminbus consequences.

I don't think this needs to be codified anywhere, we've got enough red tape. Coming up with interesting and creative rewards for people who do good is as inherent to the admin condition as coming up with suitable punishments for people who do bad. I encourage admins to use their experiences as a player in pursuit of this.

I also enocourage any admin to open up a discussion in bus when they're done plum outta ideas. The admin team as a whole is creative and you'll usually be given more fun ideas to reward a player from one discussion than you can use in a month.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean an admin can't make a player an antag. But that can be done **without** an antag token. I've made a CMO into a revhead once when shitsec beat them and brigged them for reviving a traitor in medbay. I've made countless malf AIs out of people spammed with law changes. I invited a lawyer to Central, field promoted them and tasked them with investigating corruption on the station after I saw them do some cool roleplay and got totally ignored and had their headset and PDA taken by sec.

My first experience of admin interaction, before I knew the station layouts and when I could barely handle the game's controls, was when JusticeGoat spawned me some others in as interns to provide an audience for a Clown and Prisoner that were doing a theatre act. I think this kind of thing is way cooler than an antag token. A good admin interaction creates memories that last years.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #651036

As a hostile and murder-boning hijack wizard I accepted the clown's invitation to Russian roulette (after gibbing a medical doctor who just wanted to spectate) After I won the bout of roulette, I was awarded with a nice feeling in my heart and a trophy that an admin spawned in. Better than any antag token.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #653267

We don't really want to encourage an increase in how antag tokens are currently distributed, however alternate methods of rewarding players for in-round behaviors are always welcomed per admin discretion.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.