Lavaland / Icebox GhostSpawn items and whether crew should be taking them

DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Lavaland / Icebox GhostSpawn items and whether crew should be taking them

Post by DaydreamIQ » #647942

So in case people weren't aware, certain Ghostroles I.e. Ashwalkers and Podpeople start with items that crew would otherwise never have a reasonable chance of getting, or are RNG dependent (These being the combat board and Gatfruit seeds respectably). And there does seem to be a really annoying trend of people immediately looting these places and grabbing said items to powergame with, or just stealing stuff that belongs to these ghostroles and cucking anyone who takes it out of their equipment. So, should there be a rule against stealing stuff from ghostroles when they haven't even spawned in? This is probably an MRP only suggestion but it would be a lot more interesting if people had to actually barter and trade for their easily duplicable revolver fruit that makes all antags null and void or a board that basically makes an AI malf without the law 0 even when Asimov.

Admittedly i'm super biased towards gatfruit usage and the PR's to remove it entirely from the podpeople spawns got shot down so I figure this is at least a decent enough way to prevent it happening as much. I'm not sure how much of an issue this tends to be on LRP since I never play there myself so It'd be nice for anyone who plays there to give some input.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: Lavaland / Icebox GhostSpawn items and whether crew should be taking them

Post by zxaber » #647998

Specifically about ash walkers;

The combat upgrade disk is an AI upgrade item, and has no other use. I would argue it's borderline unusable for Ash Walkers and more likely exists as loot to encourage the crew to crash the party and generate conflict. Ash Walkers themselves are also full antags (on LRP, at least), and ghost roles besides, so I personally see no need for their spawn to be given OOC protections.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #648043

I feel about this the same way I did in another thread:

Restrictions on miner loot should be a code change, not a policy change.

This is how I feel truthfully.

Mostly because well: how would this be enforced with a certain degree of accuracy in order to be a solid process? Would every case meet it?

An option could be like, ghost spawner areas are blocked off somehow until one spawns.

Or someone could just remove gamer loot from lavaland in general.

I also don't care what the original intentions for lavaland were when it was made, the coder is gone. At that time it provided much more free loot and antag status than it does now.

Why this loot is freely available even when nothing has spawned to defend it is so comically out my grasp to understand that all I can do is label it as asinine.
Hugs
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #648075

I wouldn't hate seeing it coded that the Gamer Goods don't spawn in until there's at least one ashwalker/podperson to defend them, but there's not a lot of room for productive policy here IMO
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #648107

Ghost roles arnt meta protected and it should stay that way(in terms of looting) when there's nobody there, when you remove the potential for mass looting you lose the potential for conflict. I am the opinion that you should probably not be mass looting or killing these ghost roles if they are actively present, that just falls under rule 1 for me and should follow normal escalation. However, if these roles are not present like they(in my experience) are usually not then it absolutely should be fair game. In every scenario there should be some attempt at good faith.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #651006

Has there been a decision on:
So, should there be a rule against stealing stuff from ghostroles when they haven't even spawned in? This is probably an MRP only suggestion but it would be a lot more interesting if people had to actually barter and trade for their easily duplicable revolver fruit that makes all antags null and void or a board that basically makes an AI malf without the law 0 even when Asimov.
A ruling? A suggestion for code resolution if at all? Etc.
Hugs
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #651029

There is more control over this on MRP. We once banned someone from going to space on MRP because they did it every shift, looting every ruin and bringing everything back to powergame. Every. Single. Shift. MRP is the land of making up rules when the existing ones don't cover your niche. I should know, I did it all the time.

On LRP it's... Well. Just SS13 things.

I haven't heard anything from the maint team about them thinking that looting ghost ruins is an issue and that it's an issue best handled administratively by bwoinking players that do it. If they felt it was 1. a problem and 2. best handled administratively, I'm sure any headmin team would listen.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #651110

I don't think we would have a problem with ghost roles only spawning equipment when they're active though.
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #654634

We don't see much benefit in instituting difficult to enforce metaprotections on ghost role spawner items. A code side solution by tying high value spawns such as the seed vault gatfruit seeds or the ashwalker's combat disk to the activation of their respective spawners would be fine if the codebase considers this a problem, but we have no intention of forging blanket policy on this issue.

As always, admins on the MRP servers may take specific action against players who show consistent play patterns deleterious to the health of the server by abuse of ghost role associated items (or any other form of consistent negative powergaming) without the introduction of a blanket ban.