Hanging out in observe, a form of people watching or antag rolling?

HeyHey
Byond Username: Heyhey69

Hanging out in observe, a form of people watching or antag rolling?

Post by HeyHey » #651077

Relevant rule: Regularly starting a round just to see if you are an antagonist (antag rolling) then exiting it (via any means) is not allowed. This also covers any attempts to maximize antagonist probability.

If someone was to round start as a crew member and die somehow in order role for ghost antagonist roles that's a clear case of antagonist rolling for two different reasons. However what if someone just wanted to hang around and observe the round without having to participate? Would a round start ghost be breaking a rule if they accept a ghost antag role?
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Re: Hanging out in observe, a form of people watching or antag rolling?

Post by bastardblaster » #651078

why wouldn't they just ghost from the start menu

HeyHey

Post by HeyHey » #651079

bastardblaster wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:03 pm why wouldn't they just ghost from the start menu
That's my point is it antag rolling to ghost from the start menu and hang out as a ghost if you accept ghost role antags?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #651088

Even entering the round then immediately leaving it occasionally is fine.

Observing from the menu and rolling for an antag if it's offered is totally fine, and I'm going to take a moment to go on a rant

Back in MY DAY:tm: there would often be a few people who would just ghost and chill to watch instead of playing every round. They'd chat with people who died, admins observing or using dsay while doing low-impact stuff, etc.

Deadchat is so fucking quiet these days, it's depressing to me. It feels like people just check out when they're dead instead of having any interest in the way the round goes, the RP of other people, etc., even if there's no chance of their own revival.

MY BRITTLE OLD HIP HELP LIFE ALERT
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #651090

hotharheyhey69 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:48 pm If someone was to round start as a crew member and die somehow in order role for ghost antagonist roles that's a clear case of antagonist rolling for two different reasons. However what if someone just wanted to hang around and observe the round without having to participate? Would a round start ghost be breaking a rule if they accept a ghost antag role?
you would be breaking the antag rolling rules because you joined the round then ghosted.
just join as an observer if you want to hang out in dchat. it's what the observe button was designed for.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #651091

Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:07 pm Even entering the round then immediately leaving it occasionally is fine.

Observing from the menu and rolling for an antag if it's offered is totally fine, and I'm going to take a moment to go on a rant

Back in MY DAY:tm: there would often be a few people who would just ghost and chill to watch instead of playing every round. They'd chat with people who died, admins observing or using dsay while doing low-impact stuff, etc.

Deadchat is so fucking quiet these days, it's depressing to me. It feels like people just check out when they're dead instead of having any interest in the way the round goes, the RP of other people, etc., even if there's no chance of their own revival.

Observers are some of my favorites.

But yeah, its honestly very apparent when someone is doing something like this to try and max their chances of getting antag.

Being a friendly deadland participating observer that by coincidence gets a role later on ain't it though.
Hugs
HeyHey

Post by HeyHey » #651092

Thanks for the input, figured observers were permitted but was confused by how the rule is worded.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #651112

Rule 1, Precedent 9:
  • Regularly starting a round just to see if you are an antagonist (antag rolling) then exiting it (via any means) is not allowed. This also covers any attempts to maximize antagonist probability.
Starting as an observer and hoping for a ghost role is fine. You sacrifice your chance at any of the roundstart ghost roles and many midrounds in exchange for antags that get polled from observers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and it's working as designed, and is not maximising your chances to get antag because of that sacrifice.

Joining, dying legitimately and taking a ghost role is fine. Ghost roles are not exclusively for roundstart observers.

The issue is where you join, don't get antag and appear to manufacture a scenario to die and then try and farm ghost roles after. Bonus points if you play the round normally when you do get antag and only die under mysterious circumstances when you're a non-antag.

Behaviour like that is indistinguishable from antag rolling and is thus treated as antag rolling.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #651140

Timberpoes wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:17 am Rule 1, Precedent 9:
  • Regularly starting a round just to see if you are an antagonist (antag rolling) then exiting it (via any means) is not allowed. This also covers any attempts to maximize antagonist probability.
Starting as an observer and hoping for a ghost role is fine. You sacrifice your chance at any of the roundstart dynamic roles and many midrounds in exchange for antags that get polled from observers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and it's working as designed, and is not maximising your chances to get antag because of that sacrifice.

Joining, dying legitimately and taking a ghost role is fine. Ghost roles are not exclusively for roundstart observers.

The issue is where you join, don't get antag and appear to manufacture a scenario to die and then try and farm ghost roles after. Bonus points if you play the round normally when you do get antag and only die under mysterious circumstances when you're a non-antag.

Behaviour like that is indistinguishable from antag rolling and is thus treated as antag rolling.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #651203

Starting as an observer and hoping for a ghost role is fine. You sacrifice your chance at any of the roundstart ghost roles and many midrounds in exchange for antags that get polled from observers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and it's working as designed, and is not maximising your chances to get antag because of that sacrifice.

Instead of putting a burden on admins to police that sort of behavior why don't you just code it so people who die within XX minutes of roundstart more often than YY% of their most recent (5?) rounds don't get offered ghost roles?
Seems like a really easily stopped exploit and seems to eliminate what is essentially busy work for humans.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #651208

Because there's no good code solution that doesn't impact platers that legitimately die or get killed by antags early, and any code solution is going to be less nuanced than a human investigation.

It's against the rules and admins are fit and capable of understanding when the rules have been broken and when a death was genuine.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #651222

people thinking about this too deeply should take their meds or inhale enough n2o to be put back into 1980s eastern germany where they can fulfill their life's dream of being a neighborhood stasi v-man
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #651223

terranaut wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:37 pm people thinking about this too deeply should take their meds or inhale enough n2o to be put back into 1980s eastern germany where they can fulfill their life's dream of being a neighborhood stasi v-man
RandomlyEvil
Byond Username: RandomlyEvil

Post by RandomlyEvil » #651227

Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:07 pm

This is what I do a large portion of time (be it due to multitasking, round start timing, etc etc) and I have to say that Terry Dchat has always (since I've started) been a chill place to chat, watch the shenanigans, discuss ideas, learn odd tidbits about the game, etc. Not sure where you min, but Terry lowpop hours (~6pm EST and later) especially are great for this.
Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #651254

Me watching the 800 hour miner mains who can clear out every megafauna on lavaland in 30 minutes mysteriously die to a single ash drake at 5 minutes in.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #653265

Presently, we do not see any issue with the current system of allowing people to go round-start observer (especially chaining up rounds of going observer). If this were to be implemented, it would just manufacturer more reason for people to suicide shift-start or die under other "mysterious" circumstances in order to get those free ghost role gives. The amount of body litter and otherwise waste of a round-start job position in a significant number of these cases make this option non-appealing.

One thing worth mentioning is that going observer on multiple servers (for the express purpose of getting more antag rolls) at the same time is considered antagonist rolling. However, organically going observer on a singular server and picking up roles as they come across is completely fine.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.