Amendment on Silicon Protections 2.0/2.1

Nope22
Byond Username: Nope22

Amendment on Silicon Protections 2.0/2.1

Post by Nope22 » #652803

Silicon Protections currently outlines what you should do when somebody requests access to the AI upload

Any silicon under Asimov can deny orders to allow access to the upload at any time under Law 1, given probable cause to believe that human harm is the intent of the person giving the order or that they simply do not have captain/RD level access

The problem is thus, the AI core isn't listed under this protection and as such Johnny big man the bartender is able to admin help about the AI violating law 2 orders because it won't let them into their physical core location

Reason to change. The AI core is just as important as the AI upload if not more, the policy should be changed to extend to these options as I have recently found out during a bowink that "reasonable expectations" don't really matter and what's worded on the policy page is what's to go on.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Re: Amendment on Silicon Protections 2.0/2.1

Post by san7890 » #652804

Silicon Policy ( https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules#Silicon_Policy ) states the following:
The AI core, upload, and secure tech storage (containing the Upload board) may be bolted without prompting or prior reason. The AI core airlocks cannot be bolted and depowered at roundstart, however, unless there is reasonable suspicion an attack on the core will take place.
Any silicon under Asimov can deny orders to allow access to the upload at any time under Law 1, given probable cause to believe that human harm is the intent of the person giving the order.

Probable cause includes, but is not limited to:
  • Presence of confirmed traitors
  • Cultists/tomes
  • Nuclear operatives
  • Any other human acting against the station in general
  • The person not having upload access for their job
  • The presence of blood or an openly carried lethal weapon on the requester
If you lack at least one element of probable cause and you deny upload access, you are liable to receive a warning or a silicon ban.
You are allowed, but not obligated, to deny upload access given probable cause.
You are obligated to disallow an individual you know to be harmful (Head of Security who just executed someone, etc.) from accessing your upload.

If the person has a right to be in the upload, such as captain/RD, then you must let them in unless they've harmed people in the past or have announced intentions to upload harmful laws.
In the absence of probable cause, you can still demand someone seeking upload access be accompanied by another trustworthy human or a cyborg.
In my mind, whenever I have played as the AI or handled affairs administrative, I've always held "core" and "upload" to be the same. This is to say, in my working interpretation of Silicon Policy as a player and as an admin: I expected people to follow the same rules of "denying upload access" to also matter in regards to "denying core access". It's kind of interesting how there's no connection between the two aside from the first quote I put above.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #652806

It's worth noting that in the time since the original draft of that policy was written, a code change that allows human(oids) to directly upload to the AI has been made; if you allow someone to stand next to your core, they can just hit you with a hacked/freeform law board to make you harmful. So, y'know, even more reason to treat the core and upload with similar access restrictions.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Nope22
Byond Username: Nope22

Post by Nope22 » #652808

san7890 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:22 am Silicon Policy ( https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules#Silicon_Policy ) states the following:
The AI core, upload, and secure tech storage (containing the Upload board) may be bolted without prompting or prior reason. The AI core airlocks cannot be bolted and depowered at roundstart, however, unless there is reasonable suspicion an attack on the core will take place.
Any silicon under Asimov can deny orders to allow access to the upload at any time under Law 1, given probable cause to believe that human harm is the intent of the person giving the order.

Probable cause includes, but is not limited to:
  • Presence of confirmed traitors
  • Cultists/tomes
  • Nuclear operatives
  • Any other human acting against the station in general
  • The person not having upload access for their job
  • The presence of blood or an openly carried lethal weapon on the requester
If you lack at least one element of probable cause and you deny upload access, you are liable to receive a warning or a silicon ban.
You are allowed, but not obligated, to deny upload access given probable cause.
You are obligated to disallow an individual you know to be harmful (Head of Security who just executed someone, etc.) from accessing your upload.

If the person has a right to be in the upload, such as captain/RD, then you must let them in unless they've harmed people in the past or have announced intentions to upload harmful laws.
In the absence of probable cause, you can still demand someone seeking upload access be accompanied by another trustworthy human or a cyborg.
In my mind, whenever I have played as the AI or handled affairs administrative, I've always held "core" and "upload" to be the same. This is to say, in my working interpretation of Silicon Policy as a player and as an admin: I expected people to follow the same rules of "denying upload access" to also matter in regards to "denying core access". It's kind of interesting how there's no connection between the two aside from the first quote I put above.
Today I ran into this exact issue of a person attempting to gain access into the AI core, I denied him, they admin helped and a staff member had to investigate the process considering I used the belief that generally the AI core and the AI upload in the policy even if it is not currently written can reasonably be assumed to have the same importance and thus the same restrictions, was told that may not be the case since they chatted with some other stuff about the belief of this, point of the matter if it's boinkable in CURRENT YEAR it should probably be rectified in the policy to avoid future troubles.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #652818

This is pretty clearly just a case of written Policy lagging behind code features that needs to be rectified, IMO.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #653273

This is indeed a case of policy lagging behind game development, the AI core can be used to subvert an AI by hitting it with a law board, and as such it has (generally) defacto held the same protections as the upload for a while. Policy will be updated to reflect this.