Host a SS14 server

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Host a SS14 server

Post by CPTANT » #653189

I think it is time to try out hosting a SS14 server. The project has come a huge way and development is extremely hot with hundreds of PR's merged the last month. I think it would be extremely fun to host a tg ss14 and see how it goes. Of course SS14 still lacks many features SS13 has, but it is also already a huge improvement in many ways, with full pixel movement, moving shuttles, visual effects etc.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Re: Host a SS14 server

Post by san7890 » #653204

Here's how I see it: This is less of an "easy switch to turn on" and more of a massive operational complexity to take on. A lot of people can't see behind closed doors, but if they could, they could see just how well /tg/ does with massive operational complexities :P.

I believe we should all wait for OpenDream to get some more headway in so we can at least use that and keep our codebase-specific stuff.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #653210

This isn't going to happen unless somebody steps up and does it and badgers mso about getting a server they have access too and then sets up hosting and runs events
and codes the banner to talk to it to add to the home page and setups an admin team and manages admin permissions and all the 3000 other things any new server requires.

Then on top of that they'd have to maintain either a fork of the upstream or follow it more closely.

Realistically all tgs leads are currently busy leading their relevant projects which means it's not going to come from any of us

Secondly the transition to ss14 will also happen naturally and may not even involve tgstation as that project simply gets better or different.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #653216

These are all things that can come incrementally. We can host an event using the existing repo and invite people manually to see if people like it. Then we can think about maintaining our own code and all the other complexities.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #657297

At the present time we have little interest in pushing for a /tg/ hosted SS14 server, it would require extreme time investment from members of the operations team to make function technically, and we don't think that it is currently worth the time or effort.

With that said, members of the administration and Ops team have been keeping eyes on the progress of SS13 remakes for a long time, and it is likely that as any of the successful remakes draw closer to feature parity, this conversation may be reopened.

Spook: Deny - I have neither the technical skill to spearhead an entirely separate game-codebase server, nor do I think SS14 is close enough to feature parity so far to be worth it yet.
San: Deny
Rave: Deny - I don't think we have currently have the staff to get an SS14 server off the ground.