Make naming Policy more strict/clear

DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Make naming Policy more strict/clear

Post by DaydreamIQ » #653430

Bottom post of the previous page:

Naming policy is a complete joke at the moment, as things stand its entirely based upon the admin's opinion on whether or not said name is acceptable which leads to some names that seem passable being banned while outright meme names being allowed because they don't cross the line enough.

Who could forget 'Pizza Parker', 'John Luck Picknerd' 'Wayne Kingoff' and 'John C Denton'. These very acceptable and not at all references to movies/videogames/rule 8 violations that all exist on MRP of all places where you'd think it'd be at the very least taken into consideration more. While infamously we have "Dreary Doom" getting noted for their name whilst "Dorothy Doom" was completely fine.

So my own pitch is this; Change naming policy to include any 'Parody' names. If its close enough to a popular movie/game/tv character / celebrity that you can immediately tell what its referencing, admins are expected to demand a new name. This is for the sake of consistency so people can't get away with barely crossing the line by changing a few characters. And also make it so that being a clown doesn't give you freedom to name yourself after blatant rule 8 violations.

That's my idea at the very least, if someone has a better more concise way of putting it i'd be glad to hear it.
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Re: Make naming Policy more strict/clear

Post by Mice World » #656273

Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3. Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future.
Isn't this all we need?
Names are so irrelevant even on mrp. Why does it matter if someone has the name "Wayne Kingoff" or "Pizza Parker". They're stupid names but they don't stop you from enjoying the game or role-playing so who cares?
It keeps getting worse!?
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #656911

Is there any concrete update on naming policy or is it doomed to sink to the ground
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #657246

I'm slowly working on a rewrite for naming policy, it's been passed through the admin team for an initial review and I'll be pushing it out to the forums for community review once I've incorporated the feedback in a way I'm happy with.

Edit: (this could be rather slow though, it's been several weeks since I started working on the rewrite, let alone the latest version. Lot of writing, deciding what I've written is shit / illegible / not actually that fun / way too fucking long, deleting and then starting again. But I AM working on it, slowly)
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #657671

I still can't believe years ago due to the utterly idiotic naming policy we've always had, that Iteq, whose IC name was "Luck" was forced to change their IC name to "Luck Surname" and somehow that was more okay
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #658013

I totally disagree with the naming policy.
Name whatever you want, roleplay whatever you want. If you want to be Stone Cold and break into the vault for the Gold belt, go for it. This wouldn't have come up 15 years ago. This is a side effect of the longevity of the game. Things that were literally at the bottom of the list when it came to administration/moderation priorities, the names and roleplaying of characters that are non-disruptive and non-combative, merely things that do not fit in within the narrow boundaries of certain members idea of "how a player aught to act". This is creative kneecapping. This removes the dynamism of character roleplay. If someone wants to roleplay Stone Cold and yell Hell Yeah, and talk about Stomping’ mudholes and walking ‘em dry, great. If some lizardman Janitor wants to call himself Sharkboy, talking about how he just bit your ass. And that's the fishing line, cus Shark Boy said so, even better. I'd give him a Shell Yeah. These are basic, but parody can be basic. If some Captain wants to name himself Elon Musk, or Jeff Bezos, and meme it up (like spending the station budget on MULEbots and turning robotics in a battery cell factory) that's fine too. I know I'm out of step with the community on this but that's my standard.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #670450

The definitive naming policy change discussion thread is viewtopic.php?f=33&t=33089

Go post there instead, please.

I can't promise this term will implement any changes, but I am personally looking into it over the next 6 months to see what can be accomplished from Spookuni's plans, goals and redraft.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin