Is it wrong to borg a corpse instead of taking them to medbay?

Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Is it wrong to borg a corpse instead of taking them to medbay?

Post by Nabski » #655512

My coworker died to a tider that we mutually fought right outside science. As a scientist on lowishpop I borged him. The admin (Richie99) requested that in the future I take them to medbay instead.

I quote
"In the future, do try to give bodies the ol' revive if ya can. After all borging someone does dramatically change the round for them" (10 seconds post borging)
"Also, if you get bwoinked for forcibly borging someone that ain't a tot/criminal etc I'd suggest taking it on yourself to undo said borgning" (about 10 minutes later)

When I said I was making the policy discussion thread because I didn't agree their reasoning on why it's bad is

"Fair enough. Way I've always been given to understand is that it's more or less a step just above round removal due to the way in which it forcibly changes someone's round."

I feel like while this is unfortunate to get turned into a borg, if you don't like it don't become a corpse.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Nabski on Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
serxule
Byond Username: Serxule

Re: Is it wrong to borg a corpse instead of taking them to medbay?

Post by serxule » #655517

because force borging is like he already said: "in which it forcibly changes someone's round.", its always been bad to do unless you're an antag
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #655521

i would consider it more shit to be sitting with a rotten body in a corner of medbay while they try to make meth for 20 minutes (real story)
ive seen people lately putting people into mmis , but that got hate somehow too, even though they are able to talk then

forceborging as non-antag is mostly bad though if done on another non antag, even though i myself dont give a damn
you could always give them laws directly if they are unsynced to give them more freedom while you (or medbay, or heck maybe even the borged one themselves) work on the corpse

tl:dr better not, too much people hate silicons
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #655522

Absolutely. I don't know what map it was, but science and medbay are usually close to eachother. There is no good reason to borg someone instead of reviving them aside from "there is literally nobody with medbay access, nobody can give me medbay access to fix this, and this body is absolutely fucked." If they wanted to be a cyborg, they would sign up to be a cyborg.

By forcibly cyborgifying someone you force them into a different role than what they were previously, screwing over any possible gimmick or RP they had going on in the round to make them every human's butler. Not everybody finds the role fun, and most people don't want to drop what they were doing to spontaneously become a cyborg.
Nabski wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:02 am I feel like while this is unfortunate to get turned into a borg, if you don't like it don't become a corpse.
I feel like you're trolling, so I'm just going to come out and ask. Are you trolling?
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #655528

I am not trolling.

The majority of cyborg media is "Oh I'm so sad I got turned into a cyborg, it made me stronger but now I'm more limited. Sure it saved my life but how can I LOVEEEEE". This is absolutely the essence of that.

Why should a jobs key feature be locked behind antag/valids being delivered to them/positronics.

The dead have no rights. Robotics and paramedics should be racing to corpses to see who can find it first.

I hate that it's even considered bad form to turn dead bodies into burgers now, but I'm not going to try to argue that point.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #655531

If someone wants to be a borg they can use the ectosniffer and join a posibrain so yeah I'd say it's wrong.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #655534

Most people don't like playing as a borg for the rest of the round, so doing it for no reason is rightfully a rule 1 violation and should stay as one. Borging someone is a punishment, and punishing someone for no reason as a non-antag is being a dick.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #655536

Here's what I've personally done while playing. If their body is like completely fucked to the point where it's easier to just implant their brain in a new body, think like "husk and medbay is a hole, evac imminent", I tend to MMI (using mannitol if needed) them just so I can ask them what they want. If they wanna become a borgo, I'll do that for them. If they wanna try and get back in the game in a new body, I'll do that as best as I can. Sometimes they wanna get in a mech, and that's cool too if I have a spare one (very uncommon). If you're intending to borg them, you're going to MMI them anyways, and so why not ask while you're at it? At least in an MMI you aren't fucking up super-hard by slaving them to a lawset when they want it, you can just speak to them about life and figure out the best way to put them back in the shift.

I don't think you should debrain someone trivially though, like you should have a clear reason (or at least can be considered a "Good Samaritan").
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
serxule

Post by serxule » #655546

Nabski wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:56 am I am not trolling.

The dead have no rights. Robotics and paramedics should be racing to corpses to see who can find it first.

I hate that it's even considered bad form to turn dead bodies into burgers now, but I'm not going to try to argue that point.
this is 100% bait or you're a hardcore shitter that deserves to be banned
ChristopherRobin
Byond Username: Christopher Robin

Post by ChristopherRobin » #655553

One of my favorite stories from one of my earlier shifts was when I found the corpse of a janitor as mime. Somehow, a roboticist convinced me to let him borg the jani, probably with some "weakness of flesh" speech. Me and the jani-borg proceeded to spend the rest of the shift investigating how his now-forgotten past life came to an abrupt end. Whole situation provided a great opportunity for RP, everyone was a good sport about it, and many shitty robo-cop jokes were made.

While standard revival is definitely superior to borging, I don't think using borging as a method of reviving someone should be treated like force-borging at all. It provides a way of bringing someone back into the round and should probably be viewed as being less-good than revival rather than outright bad.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #655555

Depends on rank. Not gonna borg the captain or Head of Security, but if it's a dead assistant, and there's a line of corpses in the medbay, I'll take them to get borged.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #655558

If it seems even remotely unlikely that medbay will actually handle them, slap that fucker in the MMI at least so they can talk and stuff.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
serxule

Post by serxule » #655560

yes if medical is unable to revive them then put them in an MMI and ask, otherwise borging someone who doesnt want to be borged is bad
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #655575

Being stuck dead in medbay waiting ten to fifteen minutes for the incompetent jackasses to get around to and finish medically torturing my corpse so I can come to life and be medically tortured for another five straight minutes is 10 times worse to me than being swiftly put into an MMI so I can start whinging at the living again and maybe get borged or rezzed.

in fact being stuck in an incompetent medbay is worse than being spaced because at least then I can go do something else or observe other players or play on another server rather than being stuck in my body hoping that god please a competent doctor will SURELY come along soon right?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #655596

If they go borg just order them to prep their own body and dismantle once they healed themselves up.

So long as you will put them back into their body afterwards you should be able to freely borg someone.

If medical is doing perfectly fine and you take them to robotics anyways without getting an ok, thats just being cringe.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #655600

I would be really sad if this became rules enforced instead of being an IC issue.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #655601

This is kind of an IC issue thing? I don't see a huge problem with it unless someone made it exceedingly clear they didn't want to be a borg.

I'm of the mindset that Medical should be trying to revive someone, but if they're stretched too thin, Robotics can grab a corpse and toss them in a borg instead. Just so long as they can be put back if they don't like the glorious embrace of the machine spirit.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #655611

borgs cant ask to be returned tothe body so the person would have to make it clear theyre doing it prior to giving them borg (aka mmi).

Frankly youre better off just leaving them to rot as a player but I think if its in good faith you wont get in trouble.
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #655612

Vekter wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:12 pm Just so long as they can be put back if they don't like the glorious embrace of the machine spirit.
The problem becomes that a borg wishing to be deconstructed back into a human encroaches on self-preservation law, so they couldn't really ask, right?
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #655615

I miss when sec would forceborg antags instead of atomising the brain to minimize risk.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #655659

Is it against the rules? As far as I understand, no.

Is it a dick move? Yes.

Borgs cannot ask to be unborged, and I don't think they're allowed to immediately suicide, so think of this from the dead players' perspective: Either DNR so you can't be borged, hope they leave you in an MMI long enough to object (and that they'll bother to listen/care), or get borged. That doesn't sound very fun. Maybe it wouldn't be an issue if silicon policy had more protections for this, but it doesn't. Once you're borged, you're a slave to your laws, and the invisible laws of silicon policy.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #655663

Administrately we usually approach forceborging as equivalent to round removal. If you're not valid to round remove them, you're not valid to forceborg them.

Consensual borging is fine. Getting consent via MMI is trivial and MMI is a pre-requisite to borging.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Post by Jackraxxus » #655665

BrianBackslide wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:05 pm Is it against the rules? As far as I understand, no.

Is it a dick move? Yes.
Dick moves are explicitly against the rules anon.
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #655666

I was always under the implication that forceborging was taking someone alive, and forcing them to become a borg. Am I just wrong and it's ANYTIME a person becomes a borg and you didn't ask "do you want to be a borg" first it was forceborging?
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #655667

I dislike the further restrictions on borging because it further promotes just using the funny "whoops, found a well-hidden blob 10 seconds after leaving robotics" posibrain cubes.
Also, this isn't round removal, gibbing you and making a burger out of your brain is round removal. Spacing someone's corpse is almost round removal. This is inconveniencing someone else which should be entirely justifiable if the difference between reviving them and borging them would inconvenience you.
I'd go as far as saying that having your corpse rerouted to find itself on robotics' operating table and being made to pilot the glorified tin can is one of the last enduring consequences for losing of which we need more.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #655668

Forcing someone to become a borg when they don't want to be one is generally considered forceborging.

Forcing someone to be a borg is considered equivalent to round removal. It is not round removal, but if you can't validly round remove someone then you probably can't validly borg them without their consent. That means antags can do it. Non-antags can do it to antags. But non-antags should not be doing it to non-antags when they otherwise would not have been able to round remove that person.

Taking someone's brain out of their body for any purpose except to expedite or triage their future revival as a human is generally bad. Bodies without brains are basically fair game to anyone to grief, steal from, etc. - There's absolutely no indication that the body belongs to a player that is ever returning to it (or the shift). It is very easy for something to go wrong to a debrained body. Morgue tray. Destroyed or looted for working organs. That risk alone makes debraining a non-antag exceptionally risky with respect to the rules/ruining someone's shift unprompted.

The excuse of it being a convenient method of bringing a non-antag back into the shift basically doesn't fly in this scenario, and if a non-antag would rather remain dead than be borged then you shouldn't be forcing that choice on them (unless antag).

The final nail in the coffin is that brain in MMI is a pre-req to borging. To find out what the brain's owner wants is trivial and covers your ass completely.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #655669

Huh, that definition just seems so wrong to me and there are so many times in the past that I could have cried about turning into a borg and forced them to . . . return me to being a corpse?

Timber, you are implying the "better" thing to do here would be to just leave the corpse on the floor and hope medbay gets around to the call out that I made about it four minutes prior and had no action or response to. The assistant that he fought with remained on the floor where he died until the round ended, so I really doubt that leaving him there would have returned him to the round.

The brains owners was completely unresponsive in the MMI.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #655670

Unless you have an IC reason, if the MMI doesn't consent, you should take it back to medbay so THEY take care of it.

Yes, it IS a dick move to borg someone without consent if you're not antag. Borging =/= reviving.

Justified without consent is, for example, when security brings you a brain of a tot/heretic/shitter/whatever for borging, who would've been otherwise round removed. And even then you can make a call to keep your hands clean and not do it.

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #655673

I think the definition of "don't be dick" is watered down way too much. It seems everyone wants every crewmember to be model citizens nowadays. Minor dickery on a level such as this is what makes rounds interesting in the first place.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #655687

Do cyborgs care about MMI humans?
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #655692

a brain in a mmi is just a brain
ChristopherRobin

Post by ChristopherRobin » #655725

Side note, what about non-antag chaplains who use the soul stone on the first corpse they come across?
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #655733

ChristopherRobin wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:38 pm Side note, what about non-antag chaplains who use the soul stone on the first corpse they come across?
actual dickery
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #655734

I guess there's the obvious midpoint which most people would actually do of "put the brain in an MMI, ask it if it wants to be a borg or a mech, stick it back in the body and throw it to the MDs if they say no"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #655738

ChristopherRobin wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:38 pm Side note, what about non-antag chaplains who use the soul stone on the first corpse they come across?
Stance in 2017:
Soulstoned someone who didn't want to be soulstoned as nonantag chaplain. Said they didn't know how it worked and it would give a prompt if they wanted to be sharded. Remove in a few weeks or make non-secret if they don't act up with this again.
(Lol, secret note?)

Stance in 2018:
Warned not to soul stone people super quick after a fight with another player when the other player threw a toy alien at him
Stance in 2020:
Banned from the server for 1440 minutes - As a chaplain, tried to deconvert a suspected cultist with holy water, then when it didnt work soulstoned him. The guy just had naturally red eyes. Asked for permission in ahelps, but didnt wait for an answer and did so anyway.
Stance in 2021:
As a non-antag chaplain, saw the clown shoot himself with a risky russian revolver in the medbay treatment room, then proceeded to soulstone shard them. Round removing isn't very cool.
Stance in 2022:
Banned from the server for 1 day - As a non-antagonist Chaplain, justifiaby killed an Assistant for killing and spacing their pet Royal Rat. However, immediately after, they soul stoned the assistant, functionally round removing them. Recognizes this as an overescalation on their part, and was understanding in ahelps.
ChristopherRobin

Post by ChristopherRobin » #655740

Timberpoes wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:06 am
Spoiler:
Stance in 2017:
Soulstoned someone who didn't want to be soulstoned as nonantag chaplain. Said they didn't know how it worked and it would give a prompt if they wanted to be sharded. Remove in a few weeks or make non-secret if they don't act up with this again.
(Lol, secret note?)

Stance in 2018:
Warned not to soul stone people super quick after a fight with another player when the other player threw a toy alien at him
Stance in 2020:
Banned from the server for 1440 minutes - As a chaplain, tried to deconvert a suspected cultist with holy water, then when it didnt work soulstoned him. The guy just had naturally red eyes. Asked for permission in ahelps, but didnt wait for an answer and did so anyway.
Stance in 2021:
As a non-antag chaplain, saw the clown shoot himself with a risky russian revolver in the medbay treatment room, then proceeded to soulstone shard them. Round removing isn't very cool.
Stance in 2022:
Banned from the server for 1 day - As a non-antagonist Chaplain, justifiaby killed an Assistant for killing and spacing their pet Royal Rat. However, immediately after, they soul stoned the assistant, functionally round removing them. Recognizes this as an overescalation on their part, and was understanding in ahelps.
Is a better answer than
Cobby wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:52 pm actual dickery
Thanks for the info.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #655747

should I have said "not allowed" or did you just like the citations?

My apologies, I was thinking you wanted reassurance it wasnt ok vs. wanting an explanation as to why it isnt
ChristopherRobin

Post by ChristopherRobin » #655752

laconic dickery
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #664073

Forceborging people as a non-antagonist where other options exist is extremely griefy, and should be avoided - as Timber has mentioned putting the potential borgee's brain in an MMI is a necessary step in that path to borging someone, finding out if the patient is fine with being borged as an alternative to revival is trivial and doing it anyway as a non-antag is a massive dick move.

Roboticists are fully allowed to offer borgings as an alternative to revival to dead people at their leisure, so long as they're not actively making revival harder if their patient says no.

Spook: As above
Rave: Agree with above
San: Agree with above