Move 'uwu' to soft filter

Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Move 'uwu' to soft filter

Post by Striders13 » #657317

There are valid use cases for uwu IC. Example:

Code: Select all

[2022-11-25 13:42:19.673] SILICON: Ion storm changed laws of Striders13/(COPRULU) to !@^%!: <font color='#547DFE'>Meow!</font>
[2022-11-25 13:59:17.271] SAY: Striders13/(COPRULU) "maybe iwt juwst wawnt tuwu be wead" (AI Chamber (214,144,2))
Lack of uwu was inhibiting my ability to do whatever the fuck this is.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Re: Move 'uwu' to soft filter

Post by Striders13 » #657318

this includes 'owo' too
Kubisopplay
Byond Username: Kubisopplay

Post by Kubisopplay » #657320

Meow!
Silicon main, enough said
Tell me how badly I fucked up here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32575
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #657322

UwU
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #657323

Genuine argument for this or unfiltering it all together time. All words in the filter have a reason specified for them, owo and uwu are both filtered with the given reason that they are emoticons, in the same situation as :3 and : (. While OwO and UwU can been seen as emoticons they also are functionally producible sounds as well, similar to laughing and "hmmm".
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #657331

I can say uwu in real life, let my Felinid be a plague upon the station by saying uwu over comms.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #657332

This is so stupid, keep this shit on the filter. If we filter LOL (An actual term used in conversations) we should filter this
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #657338

The hard word filter should only contain words that you would otherwise be banned/noted for saying in all circumstances. I don’t really have an opinion on uwu in particular (other than saying it should probably make you valid).
► Show Spoiler
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #657348

To clarify, the filter's definitions are mostly controlled by MSO, as they were a compromise attained by a previous term in the endless Rule 11 enforcement fight.

IC soft filtering is for words or phrases with some level of ambiguity to them. ERP is the biggest and most controversial example - we have in-game references to this that don't mean Erotic Roleplay and are thus IC acceptable. The player gets a prompt informing them that the most common uses of soft filtered words tend to be rule breaking, and to make sure they're not breaking the rules before they use it - With an opportunity to cancel the message.

IC hard filtering is basically just for OOC in IC and netspeak. These are things that will always break a rule when said. A big example in this category is the word nigger. It's IC filtered as MSO has deemed it OOC in IC. You can say it in OOC and dead chat just fine because they're OOC channels. Emoji, txtspeak and netspeak all fall under this branch as well. You can't type a :3 face IC, but you can in deadchat and OOC.

Moving uwu to the soft filter is saying "there are valid uses of the word uwu and it isn't OOC in IC/netspeak".

Make your arguments on that basis, because it's the distinction between hard and soft filtering.

UwU
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #657351

(not a headmin ruling)
I hate you all
I hate this
Why did you do this Striders
(not a headmin ruling)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #657352

Yeah, no real reason to have it on the hard it’s just netspeak.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #657355

A felinid saying "uwu" or "owo" in real life sounds pretty plausible. If we have cat girls, then cat girl RP should be allowed, as long as it's not overdone or excessive.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #657367

I blame morto viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23024
someday I'll go rouge and remove all but the ooc hard filter for consuming too much cpu time (any)
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #657472

Turbonerd wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:17 am A felinid saying "uwu" or "owo" in real life sounds pretty plausible. If we have cat girls, then cat girl RP should be allowed, as long as it's not overdone or excessive.
you know what I agree with you let's just get rid of catgirls.
Image Image
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #657526

As a felinid player if I see anyone UWU I'm going to slam dunk them into the nearest reinforced table.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #657600

If uwu is a sound then rather than say uwu players should be allowed to emote it.

*uwu

'Player' uwu's.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #657605

I often say "oo woo" to communicate the noise. I don't know if this is good or bad.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #657616

NamelessFairy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:59 pm Genuine argument for this or unfiltering it all together time. All words in the filter have a reason specified for them, owo and uwu are both filtered with the given reason that they are emoticons, in the same situation as :3 and : (. While OwO and UwU can been seen as emoticons they also are functionally producible sounds as well, similar to laughing and "hmmm".
literally all of the filtered things are pronounceable you fucking dunce
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master

Post by NamelessFairy » #657631

oranges wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:18 am
NamelessFairy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:59 pm Genuine argument for this or unfiltering it all together time. All words in the filter have a reason specified for them, owo and uwu are both filtered with the given reason that they are emoticons, in the same situation as :3 and : (. While OwO and UwU can been seen as emoticons they also are functionally producible sounds as well, similar to laughing and "hmmm".
Technically you are correct but theres a difference between saying "uwu" and saying "Equals closing parenthesis".
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #657634

NamelessFairy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:25 pm
Technically you are correct but theres a difference between saying "uwu" and saying "Equals closing parenthesis".
Wait, you guys don't say things like "colon c" and "equals closing paren" to your friends?

Guess my friend group is full of weirdos.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #657707

Yes but unbanning uwu means unbanning lol and lmao etc unless you want to be so obviously hypocritical.

Be careful what you wish for.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #657712

oranges wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:08 am
Yes but unbanning uwu means unbanning lol and lmao etc unless you want to be so obviously hypocritical.

I went to uni' with someone that unironically spoke the word 'lol' as a response to things.

It ruined my mental state every. single. time.

There are definitely more people that did it, but I haven't heard of it happening in forever.

Instead now I hear people actually speak the word 'uwu' and 'owo' now. It happens. Still get the same bottomless exacerbation when it does.
Hugs
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master

Post by NamelessFairy » #657716

oranges wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:08 am

lol and lmao and hard filtered for a different reason. Both are netspeak acronyms and are noted as such in the filter. My point is only applicable to terms filtered because they are emoticons but are not actually used as emoticons, I believe that this only entirely applies to "uwu" and "owo". "ovo" and "uvu" may also fit this bill but are debatable as they are significantly less used.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #657718

Oh come on that's such an incredible reach nameless and you must be aware of that, uwu and owo are just as much netspeak as lol and lmao.

If you only unban one it's pretty incredibly obvious that there's a bias, now realistically it doesn't matter, frankly personally I think only banned slurs should be on the filter list, but at least be open and honest about it instead of pretending there's a legality/technicality reason for doing so.

If you say yeah I just prefer uwu/owo because that's part of my personality at least then I could respect it as an honest request.
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master

Post by NamelessFairy » #657722

oranges wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:42 am Oh come on that's such an incredible reach nameless and you must be aware of that, uwu and owo are just as much netspeak as lol and lmao.

If you only unban one it's pretty incredibly obvious that there's a bias, now realistically it doesn't matter, frankly personally I think only banned slurs should be on the filter list, but at least be open and honest about it instead of pretending there's a legality/technicality reason for doing so.

If you say yeah I just prefer uwu/owo because that's part of my personality at least then I could respect it as an honest request.
I personally have bordering on no issue with lol being unfiltered, however un-filtering acronyms is not the purpose of this thread. I am exclusively arguing in favor of unfiltering terms that are labelled as emoticons that are almost never used as emoticons.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #657723

Okay, but it's pretty clear that's an extremely technical based argument that if you actually apply a reasonable context based filter to, doesn't stack up.

These things might be labelled as filtered by emoticons, but we all know in reality that they are filtered because the people who use them are annoying, and seeing them is annoying.

I just dont' think it adds anything of value to the discussion if you insist that we only operate on a completely strict evaluation of the rules literally.
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #657958

Striders13 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:50 pm There are valid use cases for uwu IC.
No.
Pandarsenic wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:58 am I often say "oo woo" to communicate the noise. I don't know if this is good or bad.
Bad.
oranges wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:02 am we all know in reality that they are filtered because the people who use them are annoying, and seeing them is annoying.
Yes.
serxule
Byond Username: Serxule

Post by serxule » #657979

i think this is fine since it is netspeak

also i can say lmao, lol, rofl, uwu, owo, lul, etc, irl perfectly fine, so why have them filtered anyways
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #658043

Among us should be soft filtered because its a meme but is a legitimate word in English. Uwu should be hard filtered because it's a meme without having an actual use. Nobody in the space future is going to say uwu.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #658050

None of us are interested in removing ‘uwu’ from the filter, or moving ‘uwu’ to a different filter.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.