Increase the number of roundstart borg slots.

Kubisopplay
Byond Username: Kubisopplay

Increase the number of roundstart borg slots.

Post by Kubisopplay » #658133

What the title says, increases the number of roundstart borgs to three.
Pros:
  • Robos wont need to eat entire station's worth of iron at the start of the round
  • Silicon players wont need to wait until half of the round to actually play
Cons:
  • None
As you see this is a clear improvement, please execute immediately.
OwO
Silicon main, enough said
Tell me how badly I fucked up here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32575
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Re: Increase the number of roundstart borg slots.

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #658134

skyrat change laugh at this user

3 silicons roundstart would be nice but I'm sure there's balance considerations around this
i just wanna play mediborg
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #658136

I like the roboticist busy work people have to do when assistants rolling for cyborg come in and say "erm, mister scientist, can you please scoop by brain out and place it into a horrible chunk of unfeeling metal"
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #658142

Three roundstart slots is definitely too many, two I'm ehh on. There's more than enough mats at the start of the round to make two cyborgs, and it gives the roboticists something to do while research gets done. Increasing the number of slots decreases the amount of interaction roboticists get.
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #658156

I would agree with 3 slots, or 2 slots.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #658179

Maybe give it pop scaling.

1 for low-med pop 2 med-high pop 3 for high and very high pop
thgvr
Byond Username: Thgvr

Post by thgvr » #658193

It's definitely a little disheartening when you can't roll either silicon, and the roboticists aren't interested or don't have the materials to borg you so you awkwardly sit there and wait, or waiting for posibrains hoping they know what the ghost sniffer does.

Gonna have to agree with two, but not three.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #658216

I'm inclined to agree with it. I can't exactly justify either of my characters willingly choosing to be borg'd, which means I either need to roll it round start, or wait for posibrains which could take 75% of the round to get researched.

Number of people who DO come by Robotics willingly asking to be borged is, in my experience, very very slim, so you're not losing out on too much interaction for Robotics. Most times I roll it as is I'm just kinda sitting on my thumbs until Posi's get researched, after doing both dissections.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #659511

Call me crazy but...
Robos wont need to eat entire station's worth of iron at the start of the round
I always liked resource scarcity. It creates conflict, and motivates people.

Then again I also have (probably) rose tinted glasses for pre-silo days.

If this happened though, what would robotics homies be doing at round start instead?

Would they still be using resources to make another Borg shell even with the change? Who is to say another person wouldn't want to be a Borg?

Is there really a sweet spot when it comes to the number if round start borgs?
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugs
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #659514

Misdoubtful wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:50 pm I always liked resource scarcity. It creates conflict, and motivates people.

Then again I also have (probably) rose tinted glasses for pre-orm days.
Most games where scarcity is fun, they're fun because there's something at the end of the scarcity.
In frost punk the whole game revolves around the idea that if you're not good enough, scarcity will force you to choose between losing or doing immoral shit like forcing kids to work.
In pathologic scarcity forces you to look for food in the most unlikely places, and forces you to choose between who you would rather give a cure to when 2 characters you like get sick, inevitably choosing one to die.

In SS13 scarcity forces you to sit on your ass for half an hour because the roboticist decided to invest all of the station's resources into a mech, or forces you to play as a volunteer shaft miner despite the fact you signed up as an engineer.
The only motivation I've seen from ore scarcity is motivation to type 'suicide' and then complain in deadchat about the state of the game for 45 minutes.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #659575

Misdoubtful wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:50 pm
If this happened though, what would robotics homies be doing at round start instead?

Would they still be using resources to make another Borg shell even with the change? Who is to say another person wouldn't want to be a Borg?
From my experience as a Roboticist, exactly the same thing I'm doing now: Jack and Shit. On MRP it is extremely fucking rare to see someone come up and ask to be borg'd.

I imagine it might be a little more common on LRP, but it's also something that takes about 30 seconds, and still leaves you with nothing for the remaining 29 minutes and 30 seconds until Posibrains are researched.
thgvr

Post by thgvr » #659726

Misdoubtful wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:50 pm Call me crazy but...
Scarcity motivates robotics players to go AFK.

Scarcity of materials typically means the miners died, and most people who didn't sign up as miner don't want to go mining.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #659783

thgvr wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:54 pm
Misdoubtful wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:50 pm Call me crazy but...
Scarcity motivates robotics players to go AFK.

Scarcity of materials typically means the miners died, and most people who didn't sign up as miner don't want to go mining.
Agreed, I'm pretty unclear on what conflict that scarcity creates.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #659784

If you want my opinion as someone who frequently plays roboticist, most rounds I don't actually see a huge amount of people wanting to get borged. There is maybe a few regulars and they are probably rolling for the borg slot. But the people dedicated to being borged rather than roll are kind of rare lately. By the 15 minute point in the round, the materials have likely been eaten up somewhere else if miners aren't working. Irregardless of what happens, people will utilize materials, and there will be a complete lack of materials whether the robo does their work or not.

I literally cannot name a single instance where someone has started conflicts based on a lack of materials if the only reason why is because of a borg influx (and those guys can easily go miner and get materials if they need too), or the miners died. That's absurd. Most people don't need that many resources and they can just break up chairs. Roboticists and engineers feel the lack of materials the most, and they're in the best spots to resolve it under their own power. You'd have to be actively seeking to start shit and switching off your brain if you are doing otherwise, and those people will be conflict prone regardless of the justification.

There has been conflicts from spitting out mechs for bounties, but since it gets money for cargo, cargo can just order in more metal with the money generated, net neutral. Usually the biggest resource eater is people overprinting spare parts. Nobody communicates between each other as to who is doing upgrades, so people will just print hundreds of parts across two different departments that can perform the role. Several rounds where I've played QM, I've had to go investigate the ore silo to figure this out, and my takeaway is almost always 'oh, these are all techfab prints for 10k materials a pop, they're printing spare parts'. Spare parts are a massive contributor to material drain, and most people don't know that because of the small print costs. It adds up over several people coming to do it, even if you upgrade the machines.

A few extra borg slots probably doesn't mean much at all. It has no impact on whether or not roboticists will use up all the metal. They aren't the only culprits for this. So it should be fine.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #659802

I'm flat out just not interested in diving into round logs to pull up examples but I can think of plenty.

I've seen people get irritated or stressed when someone prints off a bunch of stuff.
Rounds where early game resources are being used up entirely in general.
Someone get pissed when pirates steal everything from the ore silo.
As Anne said more frequently I've seen people get pissed when robotics makes a ton of mechs.

These are actually probably the things I've seen the MOST. That being said I honestly haven't seen much of them at all though lately especially with ordering consoles being a thing now. I hope those kinds of examples clarify what I'm getting at. Not that any of them are really relevant to this, its just an overall appreciation for it.

Even though I stated my feelings on resources I still hinted that I was against this because the resources would still be getting used up anyways, maybe for another borg shell for example, or for whatever other round-start project someone is doing. As Anne said this is something contributing to the entire burn rate of resources. So what value does that argument for it have?

If people are going AFK/suiciding because of not having resources and not coming up with creative ways to get them thats on them for not having the patience to deal with in game challenges. I don't really pity people that only want to do mechanics in a roleplaying game getting the short end of the stick.

Even if the resources portion wasn't in the proposal: I'm still not sure I see the merits of removing things to do for the sake of convenance. I'm also in the same boat as others where I just don't see people coming up wanting to be borged often enough for this to be impactful. It feels like the only borgs I am actually making myself are midgame-lategame with posibrains 95% of the time.
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugs
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #659805

Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:27 pm
Even if the resources portion wasn't in the proposal: I'm still not sure I see the merits of removing things to do for the sake of convenance. I'm also in the same boast as others where I just don't see people coming up wanting to be borged often enough for this to be impactful. It feels like the only borgs I am actually making myself are midgame-lategame with posibrains 95% of the time.
The likelihood of actually having someone come by wanting to be borged is so slim that 90% of the time you would absolutely not notice a difference in the amount of work you have. It just means that there's less people who lost the Cyborg Role sitting in Observe for 45 minutes until Posibrains are finally researched.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #659808

I'd be interested in the stats on how many of those people actively exist across rounds actually. That would change my mind.
Hugs
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #659820

Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:27 pm If people are going AFK/suiciding because of not having resources and not coming up with creative ways to get them thats on them for not having the patience to deal with in game challenges. I don't really pity people that only want to do mechanics in a roleplaying game getting the short end of the stick.
You can say this about almost any problem a player has with the game.
A player gets killed by a griefing scumbag? That's a problem with the player for not having enough patience to deal with in game challenges.
A player can't get into science because it's impossibly complicated, and nobody wants to teach him? That's a problem with the player for not having enough patience to deal with in game challenges.
A player can't roleplay because all of the people on the server have started isolating him? That's a problem with the player for not having enough patience to deal with in game challenges.

Seriously, just take the most common problems a player has with the game and stick "That's a problem with the player for not having enough patience to deal with in game challenges." to the end and it'll fit.

I think this defense to bad game design is best summarized as "gatekeeping". Don't like the game? Just git gud lol.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #659826

Tearling wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:56 pm
Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:27 pm If people are going AFK/suiciding because of not having resources and not coming up with creative ways to get them thats on them for not having the patience to deal with in game challenges. I don't really pity people that only want to do mechanics in a roleplaying game getting the short end of the stick.
You can say this about almost any problem a player has with the game.
A player gets killed by a griefing scumbag? That's a problem with the player for not having enough patience to deal with in game challenges.
A player can't get into science because it's impossibly complicated, and nobody wants to teach him? That's a problem with the player for not having enough patience to deal with in game challenges.
A player can't roleplay because all of the people on the server have started isolating him? That's a problem with the player for not having enough patience to deal with in game challenges.

Seriously, just take the most common problems a player has with the game and stick "That's a problem with the player for not having enough patience to deal with in game challenges." to the end and it'll fit.

I think this defense to bad game design is best summarized as "gatekeeping". Don't like the game? Just git gud lol.
You missed this part of what I said and jumped down the rabbit hole instead:
I don't really pity people that only want to do mechanics in a roleplaying game getting the short end of the stick.
It takes someone all of three seconds of 'roleplay' to walk up to robotics and ask to get borged. If someone can't manage that level of low effort I don't know what to tell you. If someone can't wait for three minutes for more resources to show up, make another borg, or use the order console, walking over to cargo or whatever, I don't know what to tell you either. It is not anywhere near comparable to getting griefed, learning in depth game mechanics, or being isolated. Like dude what.
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugs
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #659828

Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:38 pm
You missed this part of what I said and jumped down the rabbit hole instead:
I don't really pity people that only want to do mechanics in a roleplaying game getting the short end of the stick.
It takes someone all of three seconds of 'roleplay' to walk up to robotics and ask to get borged. If someone can't manage that level of low effort I don't know what to tell you. It is not anywhere near comparable to getting griefed, learning in depth game mechanics, or being isolated. Like dude what.
Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:27 pm If people are going AFK/suiciding because of not having resources and not coming up with creative ways to get them thats on them for not having the patience to deal with in game challenges.
I quote you. I use your exact words against other equally valid problems people have with the game. I call it gatekeeping.
This is, in your mind, so insane, so crazy, it can be compared to going down the rabbit hole.

It really is comparable to all 3 of those subjects. Just try it, add "thats on them for not having the patience to deal with in game challenges." to any valid criticism of the game. You'll find that it's equally valid in any of the game's problems, regardless of how extreme those problems are.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #659829

Tearling junk:
► Show Spoiler
The way I'm seeing it the pros so far in this thread are:

Less resource use early game
Lets players get immediately into the role they want
'Sticking to a character concerns' mitigation

The cons are:

Balance concerns
Less for robo to do
Less departmental and individual interaction
How many carrots go in the stew

I guess I'd also be concerned about things like there being less opportunities for traitor robos in some circumstances and what it could also mean for malf AI's now that I think about it.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or missing something.
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:39 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Hugs
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659833

If you want to be a borg but all the slots are taken, can't you just spawn in as an assistant and ask the roboticist to borg you?
► Show Spoiler
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #659849

Farquaar wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:20 pm If you want to be a borg but all the slots are taken, can't you just spawn in as an assistant and ask the roboticist to borg you?
Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:56 pm [Big Snip]
I'm sorry, I thought we were supposed to be a server with RP (yes, even LRP), I can't exactly imagine my character walking up and asking to have their brain ripped out and put in an unfeeling chunk of metal that may as well brainwash them with how strictly laws apply. Misdoubtful, aren't you going on about how you don't care about people who care only for the mechanics of the game being BTFO'd? What about the RP of the fact that most people wouldn't WANT to be turned into a Cyborg? Aren't you discarding that solely for the mechanics of...like 25 seconds of work?
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #659851

Thats a bit out of the scope of this policy thread isn't it? There is a reason I spoilered my previous posts off topic bit, I definitely let things get way too off topic though myself when I would have been better off ignoring those things.
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugs
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #659852

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:04 pm
Farquaar wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:20 pm If you want to be a borg but all the slots are taken, can't you just spawn in as an assistant and ask the roboticist to borg you?
I'm sorry, I thought we were supposed to be a server with RP (yes, even LRP), I can't exactly imagine my character walking up and asking to have their brain ripped out and put in an unfeeling chunk of metal that may as well brainwash them with how strictly laws apply. Misdoubtful, aren't you going on about how you don't care about people who care only for the mechanics of the game being BTFO'd? What about the RP of the fact that most people wouldn't WANT to be turned into a Cyborg? Aren't you discarding that solely for the mechanics of...like 25 seconds of work?
In the context of SS13, maniacs who go ask being turned into borgs are completely normal, be it lrp, mrp or hrp. It's a silly, wacky and dark setting.

Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659853

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:04 pm I can't exactly imagine my character walking up and asking to have their brain ripped out and put in an unfeeling chunk of metal that may as well brainwash them with how strictly laws apply.
Then either play a character who would want that or get a better imagination.
► Show Spoiler
thgvr

Post by thgvr » #659878

this isn't even a roleplay topic, it's just not fun to sit and wait for another player to let you play the role you want.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #659881

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:04 pm
I mean, if you don't want to be turned into a Cyborg...good for you I guess?
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #659893

Agux909 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:18 pm In the context of SS13, maniacs who go ask being turned into borgs are completely normal, be it lrp, mrp or hrp. It's a silly, wacky and dark setting.
Farquaar wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:34 pm Then either play a character who would want that or get a better imagination.
Sure. Some characters would want to. Not every character will, though. I'm not sure how either of you are adding to the discussion, other than to just make a jab at someone for playing a character that isn't identical to yours?
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659905

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:54 am
Agux909 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:18 pm In the context of SS13, maniacs who go ask being turned into borgs are completely normal, be it lrp, mrp or hrp. It's a silly, wacky and dark setting.
Farquaar wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:34 pm Then either play a character who would want that or get a better imagination.
Sure. Some characters would want to. Not every character will, though. I'm not sure how either of you are adding to the discussion, other than to just make a jab at someone for playing a character that isn't identical to yours?
If your goal is to become a borg, why on earth would you choose to play a character that doesn't want to become a borg? You can create an infinite number of character personalities, so why would you choose one that explicitly prevents you from doing what you want to do that round? I fail to understand your logic.
► Show Spoiler
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #659909

Farquaar wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:49 am
CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:54 am
If your goal is to become a borg, why on earth would you choose to play a character that doesn't want to become a borg? You can create an infinite number of character personalities, so why would you choose one that explicitly prevents you from doing what you want to do that round? I fail to understand your logic.
Because some of us don't Random Name every round and have Cyborg personalities with ties to our statics. My Roboticist has a Cyborg Personality that she's programmed herself, so it's on the same character slot. She, herself, does not want to become a Cyborg.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659925

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:19 am
Farquaar wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:49 am If your goal is to become a borg, why on earth would you choose to play a character that doesn't want to become a borg? You can create an infinite number of character personalities, so why would you choose one that explicitly prevents you from doing what you want to do that round? I fail to understand your logic.
Because some of us don't Random Name every round and have Cyborg personalities with ties to our statics. My Roboticist has a Cyborg Personality that she's programmed herself, so it's on the same character slot. She, herself, does not want to become a Cyborg.
Sounds like a you problem, not a policy problem.
► Show Spoiler
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #659945

Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:56 pm Why would you again cherry pick part of my coupling of sentences like that? Thats not cool. Stop doing it.
Given that the rest of your message is... irrelevant to what we were discussing, I'll cherry pick some more.
You don't have some special protection from being quoted. The quote I took from your statement was not out of context, you made two separate claims with two separate sentences. As you didn't really defend your argument, and you instead completely ignored it... I don't really have much to say here without repeating myself.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #659950

Farquaar wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:06 am
Farquaar wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:49 am If your goal is to become a borg, why on earth would you choose to play a character that doesn't want to become a borg? You can create an infinite number of character personalities, so why would you choose one that explicitly prevents you from doing what you want to do that round? I fail to understand your logic.
Pretty much. I'm not sure what an individuals specific IC RP desires has has to do with whether or not there is an increase to roundstart borgs. Policy doesn't exist for the individual. There may be merit there for the individual, but what merit is there for the games round progression, content usage, and balance in general? Please consider that way instead of at the personal level.

Not trying to be a dick when I say this, but in the grand scheme of things the individuals that think its too hard to make borgs, ask to get borged, or have an RP issue with things don't matter. Its about the community as a whole, not them. Unless its an actual large amount of people having these problems? I'm going to spend a period of time playing robo myself to see a bit.
Hugs
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #659992

Misdoubtful wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:54 pm
Pretty much. I'm not sure what an individuals specific IC RP desires has has to do with whether or not there is an increase to roundstart borgs. Policy doesn't exist for the individual. There may be merit there for the individual, but what merit is there for the games round progression, content usage, and balance in general? Please consider that way instead of at the personal level.

Not trying to be a dick when I say this, but in the grand scheme of things the individuals that think its too hard to make borgs, ask to get borged, or have an RP issue with things don't matter. Its about the community as a whole, not them. Unless its an actual large amount of people having these problems? I'm going to spend a period of time playing robo myself to see a bit.
I'm far from alone because of the fact that, as I said, as a former Roboticist main I can count on one hand the number of times I had someone come up asking to be borged. Surely it would've been something I'd see a lot more often if it was something people were willing to do. Yet usually as soon as Posi's start getting printed they're pinging constantly, so it's not that people don't want to play borgs.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #659993

Its worth considering if this is a symptom of people dying and wanting to get back into the game, or is it people actually waiting until posi brains get made? Or late observe and get rolls, whatever.
Hugs
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #659996

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:53 pm

I'm far from alone because of the fact that, as I said, as a former Roboticist main I can count on one hand the number of times I had someone come up asking to be borged. Surely it would've been something I'd see a lot more often if it was something people were willing to do. Yet usually as soon as Posi's start getting printed they're pinging constantly, so it's not that people don't want to play borgs.
When I play roboticist I almost always have at least 1 or 2 players come ask me to turn them into borgs per round. Surely it's something I would see a lot less often if it was something people were unwilling to do.

So to try and meet halfway with you, there are 3 immediately obvious conclusions that come from your personal experience and mine coming together, with one being a tiny bit more obvious than the other 2:

1. Almost everyone wants to be borged at some point.
2. Almost noone wants to be borged at some point.
3. At all times, some people want to be borged and some people don't want to be borged.

CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #659997

Agux909 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:06 pm
CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:53 pm

When I play roboticist I almost always have at least 1 or 2 players come ask me to turn them into borgs per round. Surely it's something I would see a lot less often if it was something people were unwilling to do.

So to try and meet halfway with you, there are 3 immediately obvious conclusions that come from your personal experience and mine coming together, with one being a tiny bit more obvious than the other 2:

1. Almost everyone wants to be borged at some point.
2. Almost noone wants to be borged at some point.
3. At all times, some people want to be borged and some people don't want to be borged.
Or I can accept the fact that there's a significant difference between MRP and LRP's approach on the matter that I hadn't anticipated.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #659999

Perhaps. I don't play Manuel so I can't speak for its players' tendencies or opinions regarding "borging-cause-I-didn't-get-it-roundstart"

Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #660035

I'd say that on not 'MRP' servers you tend to see a LOT more people coming and getting borged throughout the round and also a LOT more posi brains popping possibly because a LOT more people are dying.
Hugs
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #660053

Why are half of these posts code solutions in a policy thread.

It'd suck if you took away robo work by obsoleting borg construction. Don't do that it'd be cringe.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #660092

The borgs don't just disappear. You still need to look after them. Roboticists aren't lacking for work if there are more borgs, they have more work if there are additional borgs around. The issue is absolutely the frequency that additional borgs find their way into the round. Once they are in the round, they need maintenance, and thats the majority of your interactions.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #660215

TheFinalPotato wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:37 am Why are half of these posts code solutions in a policy thread.

It'd suck if you took away robo work by obsoleting borg construction. Don't do that it'd be cringe.
Here's a code solution. Cyborg crew as a station trait. Assuming there is at least one player in each department, a relevant player starts as a cyborg. So one Doctor becomes a mediborg, a station engineer starts as a Engiborg and so on. Maybe the player didn't want to play a cyborg that round, so giving the roundstart cyborg crew members a couple extra pieces of equipment could make players happy at the expense of having 2 different version of each cyborg clogging up code base and causing potential bugs.
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #668037

I have assumed direct control of the config and pushed borg slots up to two, I'm interested in seeing how three would go, but that can be up to next term as we try out two for the moment

Maybe they'll do what I could not and finally kill roundstart AI for more borgs, that'd be neat.

Rave: "Yeah okay" - Rave
Elects: Did not tell me not to do it