Disallow Proxy Ban Requests

datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Disallow Proxy Ban Requests

Post by datorangebottle » #658959

These are rampant in the Admin Complaints forum right now; people will post admin complaints specifically because an admin did not server ban the opposing party in an ahelp.
There are THREE open as of the posting of this thread.
Ban Requests were terrible drama farms that were generally unhelpful for the community, so why are we still allowing them to exist? They contribute to admin burnout by making people slug it out on the forums, and for what? Because a player disagrees with the punishment the admin chose to use, which could've been a note, a simple talking to, or a roleban, which aren't as visible to the offended player?
It should be the admins' decision as to whether or not the players' actions deserved punishment, or if they had sufficient context to act the way they did.

TL;DR: Let's disallow admin complaints based on another player's punishment(or lack thereof), except for cases where they exhibit a pattern of admin favoritism.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Re: Disallow Proxy Ban Requests

Post by Epicgamer545 » #658961

I agree with this; there should be a separate process for reporting rule breaks (ahelp, asking a headmin, etc). Making ban requests private is important to reduce the toxicity and witch hunting of the community. Overall, it’s more cleaner. A lot of others would agree.
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #659008

I was honestly under the impression that we already disallow things like this. If we don't, we really should. "You didn't kick someone's teeth in hard enough" shouldn't be a valid reason for a complaint.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #659275

I believe that's admin complaints functioning as intended. I always told people who didn't like my rulling to go make a complaint on forums. If a player believes an admin misapplied the rules - he makes a complaint.
A successful complaint should NOT result in a player getting banned, at worst they could be messaged and told "Hey, remember how an admin didn't ban you for that one thing? Well, that's actually pretty bannable, so don't do it again please and thanks."
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #659278

Striders13 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:31 pm I believe that's admin complaints functioning as intended. I always told people who didn't like my rulling to go make a complaint on forums. If a player believes an admin misapplied the rules - he makes a complaint.
A successful complaint should NOT result in a player getting banned, at worst they could be messaged and told "Hey, remember how an admin didn't ban you for that one thing? Well, that's actually pretty bannable, so don't do it again please and thanks."
Yeah I'm kind of with this.

I come from a world professionally where appeals are used strictly for when there is new or missing information that would 'alter adjudication' or someone believes that bias is present. Complaints get used as a bucket for literally everything else.

Here a complaint could include the strong belief that an admin didn't do their due diligence and ban someone. If the admin made that mistake, not allowing a complaint to occur so that said admin can learn from it is a serious failing.

It doesn't have to result in someone getting banned, but everything about an interaction could have been something to potentially ban for that was mishandled and be something to learn from, or showcase for others to learn from.
Hugs
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #659291

I'm on Strider's side here. The issues here aren't "BAN HIM HE BAD" they're morso "I don't believe the admin has a correct grasp of the rules and these actions should get you banned" which is fine.
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #659294

Misdoubtful wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:59 pm
Striders13 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:31 pm I believe that's admin complaints functioning as intended. I always told people who didn't like my rulling to go make a complaint on forums. If a player believes an admin misapplied the rules - he makes a complaint.
Yeah I'm kind of with this.

I come from a world professionally where appeals are used strictly for when there is new or missing information that would 'alter adjudication' or someone believes that bias is present. Complaints get used as a bucket for literally everything else.

Here a complaint could include the strong belief that an admin didn't do their due diligence and ban someone. If the admin made that mistake, not allowing a complaint to occur so that said admin can learn from it is a serious failing.
There are a lot of different tools at an admin's disposal for punishment. This can be anywhere from simply talking to the offending party, to permanently banning them from the server. It is not and should not be the ahelping player's job to decide what form the punishment takes, because they will always be biased against the person that wronged them.
It's not the wronged player's job to decide what an appropriate punishment is. If it was, we'd have stricter punishments for everything. The admins have a lot of different tools for handling these issues, and "you slapped this guy on the wrist instead of punching them in the face!" shouldn't be valid grounds for a complaint unless it can be proved that the admin is clearly biased towards the other player.

Misdoubtful wrote:It doesn't have to result in someone getting banned, but everything about an interaction could have been something to potentially ban for that was mishandled and be something to learn from, or showcase for others to learn from.
Striders13 wrote:A successful complaint should NOT result in a player getting banned, at worst they could be messaged and told "Hey, remember how an admin didn't ban you for that one thing? Well, that's actually pretty bannable, so don't do it again please and thanks."
I could agree with this being a policy change of some sort. A successful admin complaint about this sort of ahelp conduct should, at maximum, result in the admin being talked to and a note on the offending party. Players shouldn't be demanding that other players be banned in the admin complaints forums.
kieth4 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:20 pm I'm on Strider's side here. The issues here aren't "BAN HIM HE BAD" they're morso "I don't believe the admin has a correct grasp of the rules and these actions should get you banned" which is fine.
The problem here is that two of the three of the complaints listed don't have the required nuance to say anything more than "ban him he bad". They don't go into the rules, they just state the situation and that the player disagrees with the punishment delivered because it wasn't visible to them(or didn't exist). Zybwivcz's complaint, for what it's worth, does make an attempt to go into the rules, but shows a flagrant and flawed understanding of the rules that seems like ignorance but is more likely to be malice. They by and large aren't interested in enforcing the rules as a whole and are more interested in getting revenge for perceived slights that happened in-game.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #659295

Yeah the 'ban this dude' part is 100% mega lame.

However, there is nothing wrong with filing a complaint for something that someone has seen or experienced.

What I said isn't about what punishment someone gets at all. Its about spurring on accountability. At no point was what punishment is correct mentioned. Making mistakes was mentioned. Clearing up mistakes was mentioned. Providing clarity for everyone was mentioned.

I said nothing to condone proxy ban requests, I replied to Striders post and agreed with them on admin complaints and rules misunderstandings in general.

Sometimes complaints just end up being spaces for further discussion than could occur in a ticket.
Sometimes tickets are too brief.
Some of them do not allow for a full understanding by each side to be made. Or for readers to understand.

If everyone had an understanding and agreement of things by the end of a ticket, these sorts of threads would more than likely not even rear their heads. But... since that is a high expectation to ask for, sometimes complaints (and appeals) become the place to fully clear up specific issues that may or may not require any headmin oversight in the slightest. Sometimes another person may have concerns and lack the understanding on an issue that they saw someone else deal with.

But do please remember the following regarding the status quo:
Admin's banning conduct can not be the subject of an admin complaint. That is what appeals are for, and the appeal leading to the ban being overturn is the minimum bar required before a complaint can be filed that references the ban conduct.

viewtopic.php?p=586754#p586754
Hugs
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #659552

Sorry about the delayed response, I had to mull it over for a few days and haven't been having a good time in general.
Misdoubtful wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:21 pm However, there is nothing wrong with filing a complaint for something that someone has seen or experienced.

What I said isn't about what punishment someone gets at all. Its about spurring on accountability. At no point was what punishment is correct mentioned. Making mistakes was mentioned. Clearing up mistakes was mentioned. Providing clarity for everyone was mentioned.

I said nothing to condone proxy ban requests, I replied to Striders post and agreed with them on admin complaints and rules misunderstandings in general.
My bad for misunderstanding that and just immediately jumping on you. I definitely misinterpreted that. If the angle of the complaint is "I don't think the admin investigated enough, rules X, Y, and Z were broken but it was never brought up." or similar, and not "this guy sucks why didn't you fucking ban him i'm so angry oh my god", that's probably acceptable. It's when they don't specifically focus on the admins' work and more on why the 'griefer' was still playing next round that we run into a problem.
Sometimes complaints just end up being spaces for further discussion than could occur in a ticket.
Sometimes tickets are too brief.
Some of them do not allow for a full understanding by each side to be made. Or for readers to understand.

If everyone had an understanding and agreement of things by the end of a ticket, these sorts of threads would more than likely not even rear their heads. But... since that is a high expectation to ask for, sometimes complaints (and appeals) become the place to fully clear up specific issues that may or may not require any headmin oversight in the slightest. Sometimes another person may have concerns and lack the understanding on an issue that they saw someone else deal with.
There should be a space for this that isn't the admin complaints forum. To my understanding, the admin complaints forum is about investigating possible admin wrongdoing, not simply getting clarification on a ticket. If you end up there, there has been a massive problem between the admin and the other side of the ticket.

There's an inherent aggressiveness to posting a complaint, regardless of how its written. It's easy to misunderstand it as an attack on the admin in question as opposed to a search for information. I don't recall seeing it used for simple clarification very often.
But do please remember the following regarding the status quo:
Admin's banning conduct can not be the subject of an admin complaint. That is what appeals are for, and the appeal leading to the ban being overturn is the minimum bar required before a complaint can be filed that references the ban conduct.

viewtopic.php?p=586754#p586754
While the rules are technically already written to cover proxy ban requests, it's not currently enforced that way(from what I can tell).
Last edited by datorangebottle on Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659557

Thinly veiled ban requests in admin complaints are already against the rules. Headmins just nee to get on cleaning it up.
► Show Spoiler
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #664063

Direct or thinly veiled ban requests are already easily dismissed by presiding headmin teams - engagement with them is purely at the discretion of the presiding term (something we could not rule on anyway) we're potentially interested in serial misuse of the system resulting in action being taken, but till now we have been (I hope understandably) leery about evicting players from the admin complaint subforum.

The reason for retaining some of the lower quality complaints in this vein is that we maintain that players having the opportunity and power to submit complaints in good faith about admin actions they believe were not carried out with sufficient due diligence or in (non-discretionary or badly discretionary) violation of the rules as written is an important counterbalance on rule 6 and the intractable final say admins have over their judgements while on the game servers.

Spook: As above
Rave: Agreed with above
San: Agree with above