Rule 1 Precedent Clean Up

Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Rule 1 Precedent Clean Up

Post by Domitius » #669342

Heyo! I noticed in Rule 1, Precedent 3 there is talk of instant bans:
Rules still apply until the emergency escape shuttle has reached Centcom and the round-end antagonist report has appeared. When the shuttle has reached Centcom, players are free to act as per lone antagonists, detailed in Rule 4. Non-antagonist grief upon the shuttle, from spamming flashbangs for no reason to spraying space lube, can be met with instant 5 (five) minute bans or more.
It bothers me to have ban times outlined in the rules themselves rather than relying on the judgement of admins on at the time. If I'm not alone in this I would like to simply be rid of this part and it to:
Rules still apply until the emergency escape shuttle has reached Centcom and the round-end antagonist report has appeared. When the shuttle has reached Centcom, players are free to act as per lone antagonists, detailed in Rule 4.
Or
Rules still apply until the emergency escape shuttle has reached Centcom and the round-end antagonist report has appeared. When the shuttle has reached Centcom, players are free to act as per lone antagonists, detailed in Rule 4. Non-antagonist grief upon the shuttle, from spamming flashbangs for no reason to spraying space lube, also falls under rule 1.[/b]
If anybody has a cleaner way of saying please take a shot but I would like to remove specific ban times from our rules text.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: Rule 1 Precedent Clean Up

Post by Timberpoes » #669369

Specific ban times in the rules are guidelines that inform admins on appropriate starting points for consistency's sake.

The gold standard is 24hr per unjust kill as a starting point, for example. And this guideline informs a lot of other unrelated ban severities.

Our admin team have proven incredibly capable of navigating around suggested starting ban times and not applying them by rote.

In this case, the wording means admins and players both know shuttle grief may (but also may not) be met with short bans that can be escalated if necessary.

Because short "timeout" bans are so rare, I think it's a good guideline to keep.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Re: Rule 1 Precedent Clean Up

Post by Misdoubtful » #676019

We are all in agreement regarding what Timber has said.

Its worth reiterating the 'can be met with' portion of this. Its not a 'you must ban them for 5 minutes' requirement, its more of a guideline.
Hugs