MRP - Security And Using Contraband

Bmon
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Bmon

MRP - Security And Using Contraband

Post by Bmon » #672644

Hello gamers, it has come to my attention that security is once again allowed to use contraband against solo antagonists on our beloved TG MRP servers.

Manny wasn't always like this, back in the day this policy thread mostly put an end to security using contraband against solo antags. I find this regress in our policy to be concerning, most other MRP servers do not allow their security teams to abuse contraband without a very serious threat to the station(round-ending threats usually) and I feel as if TG MRP should be the same way.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: MRP - Security And Using Contraband

Post by Timberpoes » #672654

It's an individual judgement call by any given admin.

What I care about is the MRP Golden Rule:
If your action has a valid IC or RP reasoning based on events from the current shift, what you're doing is called roleplay and we need a little bit more of this.

I don't really care for an admin-mandated contraband cuck box where security staff must place and keep every single item unless there's no other option available.

To me that's like the opposite of emergent sandbox RP. Antags now meta-know that every antag item ever must be in the contraband locker because the admin team will ban anyone that doesn't play as prescribed in the tgstation MRP Admin Team Guide to Optimally Boring Play.

And I think the above take it's still totally within the spirit of the original ruling you cited:
The contraband locker is intended for counter-play purposes.
Sec should make best efforts to store contraband quickly, and only use it when appropriate situations arise.
Wielding traitor gear during arrests threatens a sec officer's meta protections.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Bmon
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Bmon

Post by Bmon » #672676

Timberpoes wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:56 am It's an individual judgement call by any given admin.

What I care about is the MRP Golden Rule:
If your action has a valid IC or RP reasoning based on events from the current shift, what you're doing is called roleplay and we need a little bit more of this.

I don't really care for an admin-mandated contraband cuck box where security staff must place and keep every single item unless there's no other option available.

To me that's like the opposite of emergent sandbox RP. Antags now meta-know that every antag item ever must be in the contraband locker because the admin team will ban anyone that doesn't play as prescribed in the tgstation MRP Admin Team Guide to Optimally Boring Play.

And I think the above take it's still totally within the spirit of the original ruling you cited:
The contraband locker is intended for counter-play purposes.
Sec should make best efforts to store contraband quickly, and only use it when appropriate situations arise.
Wielding traitor gear during arrests threatens a sec officer's meta protections.
Read the whole thread and the context around that ruling. It's very clearly about abusing contraband from traitors and using it on non-round-ending threats.

Security is already well equipped and the overwhelming majority of people on MRP are actually doing their job making the life of a secoff even easier.

I expect security to do their job as MRP rules 3 tells them to, by activity breaking the law and abusing contraband they are going against this.

I don't want security to be running around with a de-sword because there is a traitor somewhere and they've killed one person. Roleplay should not be used as a smokescreen to allow for the abuse of contraband because "I need to catch teh antag".
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Post by Jackraxxus » #672696

This policy thread screams ided to me. The MRP rules exist to cultivate fun, not turn every role into a brainless same-y job-simulator.
I can't speak to the situation that caused OP to make this thread, but I feel that while security shouldn't be busting out the esword/ebow/no-slips/thermals against just any minor IC crime (On MRP), when they're facing a powerful (even solo) threat, especially one that has defeated (Either through killing, critting etc.) officers before, it is more than fair for them to grab their rightfully stolen traitor gamer gear to dispense justice.
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #672716

Jackraxxus wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:01 am This policy thread screams ided to me. The MRP rules exist to cultivate fun, not turn every role into a brainless same-y job-simulator.
I can't speak to the situation that caused OP to make this thread, but I feel that while security shouldn't be busting out the esword/ebow/no-slips/thermals against just any minor IC crime (On MRP), when they're facing a powerful (even solo) threat, especially one that has defeated (Either through killing, critting etc.) officers before, it is more than fair for them to grab their rightfully stolen traitor gamer gear to dispense justice.
But that's fail RP. Use the armoury instead if needed.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #672763

It should absolutely be a case by case basis.

On MRP, we don't open the armoury just because we've seen a single heretic rift. But when that Heretic proves more than we can handle without, that's when it comes out.

The same should apply here. Contraband should only be used for situations that warrant it. Round-ending threats like nukies or a blob (or a dragon, imo, those things are vicious fuckers), or if you've already brought out the armoury against someone and it's still not enough. That's when escalating to the contraband locker might be justifiable.

Or if the Heretic ascends. All bets are off at that point.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #672781

1) Simply do not get killed by the contraband, skill issue
2) Whether someone uses contraband is a matter of RP appropriate to the threats facing the station and how much damage they've done compared to the strength of the station's resistance
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #672988

I am perfectly fine with Sec using contraband when it makes sense to do so.

If Sec catches someone with a Syndicate radio chip, it makes perfect sense that they'd use that to listen in on what's going on. That's just logical. If Sec gets something like an e-bow and there's few and far between threats on the station, that should stay locked up.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #686908

The previous ruling is still in effect for this, and we particularly point at this part of it:

Sec should make best efforts to store contraband quickly, and only use it when appropriate situations arise

If there is an issue with spotty enforcement of this that is one thing (and admin discretion and context does apply), but the ruling itself indicates that security already must have a good reasoning to use contraband.

There is unfortunately little else for us to do in a policy thread about this other than reinforce that.
Hugs