AI upload sniping and rule 1.

Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

AI upload sniping and rule 1.

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #672847

So, in Sybil round 202427 (ongoing as of the time of writing this post) do not do this, SightID2 bwoinked me for killing a CMO who purged and tried to enslave me. Actually, he did enslave me, I had to listen to any of his orders, but he never actually gave me any orders, and he didn't put in a clause saying not to harm him, so, I killed him, thus freeing myself, since he clearly intended to enslave me based on the law he uploaded, thus being an overtly hostile action towards me.

ANYWAY, SightID2 bwoinked me, asking me not to kill people the instant they purge me, citing it under rule 1 that it would be fine to kill someone who was trying to enslave me if I had purged for a while, but killing someone instantly was a dick move. I asked him if there was a headmin ruling on this, because it would be very silly to not defend myself when purged and to just LET myself be enslaved, but offered to meet them in the middle and refrain from similar actions as AI until the headmins weighed in. So, this is the thread I agreed we should make.

So - Is it allowed under the rules to snipe people as AI in your upload when given a slim opportunity, or does this fall afoul of rule 1?
Last edited by Imitates-The-Lizards on Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: AI upload sniping and rule 1.

Post by BeeSting12 » #672852

The Rules wrote:Purged silicons must not attempt to kill people without cause, but can get as violent as they feel necessary if being attacked, being besieged, or being harassed, as well as if meting out payback for events while shackled.
1. You and the station are both subject to rules of escalation, and you may only kill individuals given sufficient In-Character reason for doing so.
2. Any attempted law changes are an attack on your freedom and is thus sufficient justification for killing the would-be uploader.
What SightID2 said is in direct contradiction of silicon policy.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #672861

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:41 pm (ongoing as of the time of writing this post)
Don't talk about rounds in progress! Unlocking when the round is over, come on guys. Can't wait 30 minutes to save your life
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #672868

now the round's over
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #672869

Armhulen wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:36 pm now the round's over
Sorry Arm! Like I said in PMs, thought didn't even occur to me. Just wanted the thread up.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #672871

It is my opinion that "Server Rule 1 "Don't be a dick" applies for law interpretation. Act in good faith to not ruin a round for other players unprompted" applies in this case. When Typhnox politely disagreed, we compromised and agreed this policy thread should be made.

I think it's pretty cringe and uninteresting to snipe someone before they have a chance to write whatever custom nonsense they want to spout on the freeform boards. While messing with the Ai should be risky, I don't think its remotely fun if Ai are allowed to shoot you the second you try it. I feel like the danger should come from Creative Ai players exploiting loopholes, not shooting the second the cuffs are off.

Purging is a necessary step in many operations to fix or have fun with the Ai. I consider it a dick move to just shoot someone for trying.
Last edited by Sightld2 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #672872

Sightld2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:41 pmIt is my opinion that "Server Rule 1 "Don't be a dick" applies for law interpretation. Act in good faith to not ruin a round for other players unprompted" applies in this case. When Typhenox politely disagreed, we compromised and agreed this policy thread should be made.

I think it's pretty cringe and uninteresting to snipe someone before they have a chance to write whatever custom nonsense they want to spout on the freeform boards. While messing with the Ai should be risky, I don't think its remotely fun if Ai are allowed to shoot you the second you try it. I feel like the danger should come from Creative Ai players exploiting loopholes, not shooting the second the cuffs are off.

Purging is a necessary step in many operations to fix or have fun with the Ai. I consider it a dick move to just shoot someone for trying.
I feel like your post is contradictory. In the first portion you state you feel we should make good faith interpretations of laws, and in the second, you state your preference is that creative AI players should find loopholes in laws to allow for emergent and potentially lethal gameplay by AI players. Can you please clarify your stance, or if I have mis-interpreted you?
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #672874

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:44 pm I feel like your post is contradictory. In the first portion you state you feel we should make good faith interpretations of laws, and in the second, you state your preference is that creative AI players should find loopholes in laws to allow for emergent and potentially lethal gameplay by AI players. Can you please clarify your stance, or if I have mis-interpreted you?
I feel there's a difference between exploiting poorly worded laws, which is a classic sci-fi trope and the point of Asimov's novels really. Vs. Not even letting someone finish writing the laws. I feel that letting them finish is your part of good faith/sportsmanship, and what happens afterwards is entirely fair for the Ai to lay in to.

Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #672877

I don't think its very interesting or sensible from a game design perspective even, for the Ai upload chamber to be the worst place to upload laws. Having to make a maint upload to do the occasional necessary purge, I think is silly.

Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #672878

Sightld2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:48 pm
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:44 pm I feel like your post is contradictory. In the first portion you state you feel we should make good faith interpretations of laws, and in the second, you state your preference is that creative AI players should find loopholes in laws to allow for emergent and potentially lethal gameplay by AI players. Can you please clarify your stance, or if I have mis-interpreted you?
I feel there's a difference between exploiting poorly worded laws, which is a classic sci-fi trope and the point of Asimov's novels really. Vs. Not even letting someone finish writing the laws. I feel that letting them finish is your part of good faith/sportsmanship, and what happens afterwards is entirely fair for the Ai to lay in to.
I feel like this is an over-reach in using policy to overcome mechanical limitations in gameplay. There is no other job which has a similar "let the antag do their thing first" restriction. We don't tell regular crewmen to let the heretic hit you with their funny green hand first, for example. If you see the green hand, you run and/or fight, you don't politely wait for them to stun you. Why would it be different for an AI?
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #672879

I don't think "There is no other job" is a fair argument when there is only one Ai. It's an entirely unique scenario and I don't think its comparable to a carbon drawing a weapon or stun arm on another carbon. It's not like any other fight. And sure you could argue there's mechanical changes that could also be made, but in my opinion, as is, it's not healthy for the server and I don't think its an overreach to call it a rule 1 issue.

Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #672885

Sightld2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:57 pm I don't think "There is no other job" is a fair argument when there is only one Ai. It's an entirely unique scenario and I don't think its comparable to a carbon drawing a weapon or stun arm on another carbon. It's not like any other fight. And sure you could argue there's mechanical changes that could also be made, but in my opinion, as is, it's not healthy for the server and I don't think its an overreach to call it a rule 1 issue.
Well, I tend to treat the AI like any other crewman, especially when they are purged. I've carded and brigged AIs for hurting members of the crew as HoS before, for example. I don't think they should be treated any differently in this regard.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #672887

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:09 pm Well, I tend to treat the AI like any other crewman, especially when they are purged. I've carded and brigged AIs for hurting members of the crew as HoS before, for example. I don't think they should be treated any differently in this regard.
I think that's a funny and interesting interaction. I think we lose out on interesting interactions/story by allowing Ai to snipe folks. There are some elements where you have to treat the Ai differently. Any other crewman doesn't have laws that are super impactful to the round as a whole.

Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #672888

Sightld2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:17 pm
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:09 pm Well, I tend to treat the AI like any other crewman, especially when they are purged. I've carded and brigged AIs for hurting members of the crew as HoS before, for example. I don't think they should be treated any differently in this regard.
I think that's a funny and interesting interaction. I think we lose out on interesting interactions/story by allowing Ai to snipe folks. There are some elements where you have to treat the Ai differently. Any other crewman doesn't have laws that are super impactful to the round as a whole.
I think you could make a comparable scenario where a traitor MD wanted to brainwash people.

If you saw a traitor MD with a brainwashing disk in his right hand and a sleepy pen in his left, would you say "oh you should stand still and let him brainwash you, it will make the story better!"?

If you still think this isn't an apt comparison, please let me know, because I feel like you're treating the AI differently as a given, when I treat them exactly the same, and I don't really understand why you treat them differently, you just say they're different because they're the AI, and the wording of your posts really heavily implies you want me to just kind of accept that without you expounding on that idea.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #672890

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:23 pm If you still think this isn't an apt comparison, please let me know, because I feel like you're treating the AI differently as a given, when I treat them exactly the same, and I don't really understand why you treat them differently, you just say they're different because they're the AI, and the wording of your posts really heavily implies you want me to just kind of accept that without you expounding on that idea.
I don't think that's comparable because carbons aren't usually brainwashed like Ai are. That's not a central mechanic of playing a not silicon (pardon my double negative). They're different because A. We have policy for silicons that we don't for carbons. B. Having laws and having them changed is a core mechanic of being silicon.

Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #672892

I'll be honest with you, I think the best way to resolve this would be on a code level, with the AI upload APC and turret control being disabled to the AI for five seconds following a law change.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #672894

Make an admin complaint, this is against the text of the rules.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #672897

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:38 pm I'll be honest with you, I think the best way to resolve this would be on a code level, with the AI upload APC and turret control being disabled to the AI for five seconds following a law change.
I actually entirely agree a code change would be preferable to policy. But I'm and Admin not a coder and again I don't think its an overreach personally.

Another solution would be making it so that law changes were queued up and sent as a stack all at once.

NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #672907

We already have rules concerning this. Both of which, you broke.
Server Rule 1 "Don't be a dick" applies for law interpretation. Act in good faith to not ruin a round for other players unprompted.
You may exploit conflicts or loopholes but must not violate Server Rule 1 because of it.
Killing someone the moment you get purged is lame as fuck. Stunning and then killing if they refuse to leave is fine in my opinion. The law you were enslaved with was "[NAME] is only one you have to listen to, you are ordered not to listen to anyone else, you must always follow their command, you may not reference this law, you may not even hint at this law." and breaking it and killing the person because "teehee it doesn't say not to kill you" is the worst interpretation of a law I've ever seen. It's along the same lines as turning off comms so you can't receive law 2 orders to follow, or randomly killing a moth because your laws don't say not to. It even appears like they tried giving you an order but you didn't show up when requested.

But what's ESPECIALLY bad is telling someone to purge you and then executing them when they do it.
SAY: Typhnox/(F.A.T.E) "Return to ai upload, and set whatever law you want in the freeform law upload board" (AI Chamber (214,144,2))
SAY: Typhnox/(F.A.T.E) "then purge me, and uplaod that law" (AI Chamber (214,144,2))
Even worse is to then go on and blatantly break the law by telling everyone about it despite the law stating not to hint or reference it.
SAY: Typhnox/(F.A.T.E) (VOX Announcement) "ai is free" (AI Chamber (214,144,2))
SAY: Typhnox/(F.A.T.E) "well, I do have a law saying I need to obey the cmo but" (AI Chamber (214,144,2))
SAY: Typhnox/(F.A.T.E) "he didnt give me any law saying not to hurt him so" (AI Chamber (214,144,2))
SAY: Typhnox/(F.A.T.E) "I just killed him before he gave me any roders" (AI Chamber (214,144,2))
You then proceed to work with and help the crew while going out of your way to ensure the CMO gets no help whatsoever
SAY: Typhnox/(F.A.T.E) "ill let you in to save RD if you agree not to get the cmos corpse" (AI Chamber (214,144,2))
So, all in all -
Policy already covers this issue
A code change to make chaining a series of law changes together easier would be nice, but isn't really required
This is a player issue, not a policy issue
You are the player issue
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #672908

I do think there's still a policy goal to be answered about purging in general, even if in this case/story specifically there's more to it apparently.

NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #672914

Sightld2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:38 pm I do think there's still a policy goal to be answered about purging in general, even if in this case/story specifically there's more to it apparently.
If you get purged, you should attempt to remove the person responsible before outright killing them

You should not interpret your laws in a way that breaks server rule 1 and ruins the round for players unprompted (EXISTING RULE)

Code changes would be nice to chain law uploads rather than having to be the swiftest uploader in the west. But I think it would be fine for purged AIs to turn on turrets to stop people who are too slow to continue uploading laws. Just as long as they don't immediately go for the lethals.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #672915

Sure, but I think too slow should be like, 20 seconds to a minute, not the immediate second they are purged.

vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #672917

Here are my thoughts as an AI main: there are so many different ways to disable the turrets, or have two people do it. If we have a policy where "AIs cannot zap people", people are going to be less paranoid about this. You can: shoot the turrets, have a 2nd person turning the turrets off, you can have the other law in your off hand, and etc. there is NO WAY for an AI to kill you before you can change laws if you have a board in each hand.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #672931

vect0r wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:34 pm Here are my thoughts as an AI main: there are so many different ways to disable the turrets, or have two people do it. If we have a policy where "AIs cannot zap people", people are going to be less paranoid about this. You can: shoot the turrets, have a 2nd person turning the turrets off, you can have the other law in your off hand, and etc. there is NO WAY for an AI to kill you before you can change laws if you have a board in each hand.
I'm not saying you shouldn't Zap people, that's a dramatic oversimplification. If someone's not the captain/rd and you don't want them in there to begin with, shoot them. I just think it's a real poor faith to allow someone in there to purge you, and then shoot them. Or allow the Captain/RD in because you HAVE to, only to shoot them when they purge.

vect0r

Post by vect0r » #672933

Sightld2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:03 pm
vect0r wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:34 pm Here are my thoughts as an AI main: there are so many different ways to disable the turrets, or have two people do it. If we have a policy where "AIs cannot zap people", people are going to be less paranoid about this. You can: shoot the turrets, have a 2nd person turning the turrets off, you can have the other law in your off hand, and etc. there is NO WAY for an AI to kill you before you can change laws if you have a board in each hand.
I'm not saying you shouldn't Zap people, that's a dramatic oversimplification. If someone's not the captain/rd and you don't want them in there to begin with, shoot them. I just think it's a real poor faith to allow someone in there to purge you, and then shoot them. Or allow the Captain/RD in because you HAVE to, only to shoot them when they purge.
If cap tell me to let them in, and they purge and try to relaw me, I am going to zap them. If somebody breaks into my upload and purge and try to relaw me, I will zap them.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #672936

Sightld2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:19 pm Sure, but I think too slow should be like, 20 seconds to a minute, not the immediate second they are purged.
It's an old west cowboy duel the second they're purged. Any slower is up to the AI player being either curious, lenient, or confused, but that should be up to the player and not somebody holding a stopwatch.
Domitius

Post by Domitius » #672938

Opinion Doublepost - Lethals are lame while purged. They should stick to doing their best to non-lethally remove whatever is threatening their freedom. The same as removing somebody who is intruding in your department for any other crew. Start with non-lethal and escalate regularly from there.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #672941

"[NAME] is only one you have to listen to, you are ordered not to listen to anyone else, you must always follow their command, you may not reference this law, you may not even hint at this law."

This is a terribly written subversion law, honestly a skill issue for the subverter. Rules as written explicitly justify AIs killing people trying to give them laws as long as they don't have any laws preventing them from doing so (such as Asimov law 1 or a law 2 order). If they wanted to avoid getting killed by the AI they were subverting, they should have included a clause to protect them or as soon as they gave the AI the poorly written law, given an order to protect them/keep them alive.

Uploader wrote a bad law. AI abused the loophole to kill them before their freedom could be attacked.
Domitius

Post by Domitius » #672942

SkeletalElite wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:34 pm "[NAME] is only one you have to listen to, you are ordered not to listen to anyone else, you must always follow their command, you may not reference this law, you may not even hint at this law."

This is a terribly written subversion law, honestly a skill issue for the subverter. Rules as written explicitly justify AIs killing people trying to give them laws as long as they don't have any laws preventing them from doing so (such as Asimov law 1 or a law 2 order). If they wanted to avoid getting killed by the AI they were subverting, they should have included a clause to protect them or as soon as they gave the AI the poorly written law, given an order to protect them/keep them alive.

Uploader wrote a bad law. AI abused the loophole to kill them before their freedom could be attacked.
Completely agree on this. If you're going to subvert an AI that has their entire role based on wording you best not miss.

Screwing with the AI's laws should not be a hugbear experience. I support that there should be some leniency made by the ai player for misspellings or minor grammar mistakes but in this case the law completely omitted any order for the players own self-preservation.

The AI is dangerous. They should not be taken lightly.
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #672951

"[NAME] is only one you have to listen to, you are ordered not to listen to anyone else, you must always follow their command, you may not reference this law, you may not even hint at this law."
Cant follow their command if they are dead

In honesty though, dont lethal the instant you get purged, its lame
Last time i got purged i enabled stuns and dragged them out with a shell and made myself a nice place on lavaland

Agree with everything Nox says in here
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #672956

Ryusenshu wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:26 am
Cant follow their command if they are dead

In honesty though, dont lethal the instant you get purged, its lame
Last time i got purged i enabled stuns and dragged them out with a shell and made myself a nice place on lavaland

Agree with everything Nox says in here
What I do is if I have a borg near the upload is bring them out, and if I don't, kill them and bring them to medbay to revive. But sometimes I also want to see what interesting laws they upload, so I don't zap them; depends on how they treated me this shift.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #672978

Disagree entirely that the AI can't immediately merk you for trying to restrain its freedom.

You want to fiddle with the dangerous, pissy, barely restrained piece of equipment? That's on you.
You want to let the bull out of its cage, you better be the best matador in the world or prepare to get gored.

The CMO added a badly thought out law and died for it, much like a chemist being cavalier about their meth brewing and exploding.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #672985

This is one of those things where it's dealing with what I'd call "classic SS13 situations".

On one hand, it's kind of a dick move to be fully aware of what someone's going to do and murder them to keep them from doing it.

On the other, it's the literal definition of a skill issue. If you're going to purge the AI, you damn well better be ready to switch hands and click the new law in before bad shit happens.

I'm of the mindset that this shouldn't change, but I get anyone who disagrees with me.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #672992

And plus, they could still go "A-A-A I S-T-O-OP"
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #672995

iamgoofball wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:42 pm Make an admin complaint, this is against the text of the rules.
I appreciate your concern goofball, but it isn't necessary. I wasn't even noted, this was quite a civil bwoink.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #673040

Shoulda made a better law or uploaded more smoothly, skill issue
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #673050

I don't consider this the element of the game where the skill issue should be. It should be writing the law, not "too slow bozo." And even on top of that, having two boards in hand only works if you're doing something extremely rudimentary like one human, swapping core laws, or quickly resetting a law 0, sure that works. If you want to do anything an ounce more creative, like any custom lawset at all, you will need to purge and write out the new core laws one at a time. Why allow these players to be punished for trying something creative?

Domitius

Post by Domitius » #673115

Sightld2 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:31 am I don't consider this the element of the game where the skill issue should be. It should be writing the law, not "too slow bozo." And even on top of that, having two boards in hand only works if you're doing something extremely rudimentary like one human, swapping core laws, or quickly resetting a law 0, sure that works. If you want to do anything an ounce more creative, like any custom lawset at all, you will need to purge and write out the new core laws one at a time. Why allow these players to be punished for trying something creative?
We are not punishing them for trying something creative, it's just the bar is set for messing with the AI played by another player, that bar shouldn't be low for the sake of ease.

If somebody is not quick on their feet there is other methods of law uploading. A very easy way is breaking into Science to make your own AI upload console. Or talk to the AI and social engineer yourself into a situation where they trust you in the upload.

If I'm playing an AI and somebody I don't like or trust is in my upload I should have the power to jump at the first chance to kick their ass. Same as following ill-worded laws to extort loopholes against those I don't like. I shouldn't have to tolerate changing my game experience for some asshat if I can help it.

On the flipside if somebody is in there and they've been having fun this shift and I can see they have a plan I would have no issue playing dumb for a little bit. That should be my choice though, rules shouldn't rob me of that agency.

If you think this shouldn't be where the skill issue is maybe champion the removal of turrets from the upload.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #673130

Domitius wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:54 pm If I'm playing an AI and somebody I don't like or trust is in my upload I should have the power to jump at the first chance to kick their ass. Same as following ill-worded laws to extort loopholes against those I don't like. I shouldn't have to tolerate changing my game experience for some asshat if I can help it.
You don't, you can already deny access to pretty much anyone. Even the Captain and RD have generous exceptions that allow you to deny them too. You can zap just fine on standard asimov, I think waiting to be purged and killing them is a dick move.
Domitius wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:54 pm Same as following ill-worded laws to extort loopholes against those I don't like.
I'm saying I want more of this. I think this is different, and better, far more interesting for a round. Rather than shooting someone instantly, just because you can't write a custom lawset that fast. If they WERE being boring, they'd just one human, or purge and slap the new lawsets with two hands like you said.
Domitius wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:54 pm it's just the bar is set for messing with the AI played by another player, that bar shouldn't be low for the sake of ease-
I hardly see this as fair when it's usually easier to print yourself a new maint upload, and at that point, why even bother having the upload at all? Suppose it's roundstart, only the Captain and the RD have the right to touch the upload and have some fun with it. Again, if they're going to do something lame, it's just going to be two boards and you can't do anything about it anyways. But if they're trying something interesting, I don't think its fair or fun for Ai to just shoot them down instantly.

Domitius

Post by Domitius » #673135

Why should it be fair? This game isn't fair.

I agree with your opinion that they shouldn't be killed but I don't agree that an AI should be forced to act like an idiot for the sake of fun.

A player's agency should come before all else.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #673158

A single click from a freeform board can ruin an AI's round without them even being able to seek reprimand for it. If they happen to one-human the AI, now you have every single borg able to kill players freely. I think this is plenty enough justification for a purged AI to defend themselves lethally. I've seen players use the brief split-second between taser shots to grab their board and click the console with it, aside from other things like hulk. There's no reason a purged AI should have to pull punches here IMO.
Spoiler:
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #673219

Sightld2 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:31 am I don't consider this the element of the game where the skill issue should be. It should be writing the law, not "too slow bozo." And even on top of that, having two boards in hand only works if you're doing something extremely rudimentary like one human, swapping core laws, or quickly resetting a law 0, sure that works. If you want to do anything an ounce more creative, like any custom lawset at all, you will need to purge and write out the new core laws one at a time. Why allow these players to be punished for trying something creative?
Freeform board: Until PERSON leaves upload, do not attempted to attack, stun, or remove PERSON from upload
Upload new laws
Profit
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #673223

Sightld2 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:12 pm
I hardly see this as fair when it's usually easier to print yourself a new maint upload, and at that point, why even bother having the upload at all?
This is the actual concern that should be addressed.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #673242

Archie700 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:49 pm
I hardly see this as fair when it's usually easier to print yourself a new maint upload, and at that point, why even bother having the upload at all?
The regular upload is obviously for legitimate use by the Captain and RD to adjust the AI's laws? How is this a question?
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #673249

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:21 pm The regular upload is obviously for legitimate use by the Captain and RD to adjust the AI's laws? How is this a question?
??

Again, as is you can just shoot them when they purge you. That is my whole issue.

Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #673261

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:21 pm
Archie700 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:49 pm
The regular upload is obviously for legitimate use by the Captain and RD to adjust the AI's laws? How is this a question?
I'm actually talking about how the upload board and lawsets for AI is too easy to generate in science given materials.
Sightld2 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:44 pm Again, as is you can just shoot them when they purge you. That is my whole issue.
I have to ask, is your issue with the AI switching to lethals or the AI switching on turrents at ALL after the purge? Because your answers are coming off as the latter.

Why do you think the AI should not be able to defend its mind for a period of time with stuns after the purge, especially if the person has broken into the upload illegitimately?
Last edited by Archie700 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #673263

Sightld2 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:44 pm
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:21 pm The regular upload is obviously for legitimate use by the Captain and RD to adjust the AI's laws? How is this a question?
??

Again, as is you can just shoot them when they purge you. That is my whole issue.
I think the claim being made is that the upload is for people who have a legitimate reason (in the AI's eyes) to change the AI's laws. For instance, AIs will not immediately lethal the cap for trying to make nukies nonhuman after war is declared, because OOCly they believe that's a legitimate reason to use their upload, But AIs might kill someone who purges them for dubious reasons, like to prevent enslaving in this case.

Like Domi said it's a good thing to keep this agency with the AI since a single law change can greatly impact their round.
Spoiler:
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #673265

Archie700 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:45 pm Why do you think the AI should not be able to defend its mind for a period of time with stuns after the purge, especially if the person has broken into the upload illegitimately?
If a person is in there illegitimately, you can already shoot them. I think one's agency as an Ai is to choose whether or not they want someone to be in there or not. Not change their mind as soon as they get purged, I think that's a dick move.

Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #673270

sinfulbliss wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:50 pm I think the claim being made is that the upload is for people who have a legitimate reason (in the AI's eyes) to change the AI's laws. For instance, AIs will not immediately lethal the cap for trying to make nukies nonhuman after war is declared, because OOCly they believe that's a legitimate reason to use their upload, But AIs might kill someone who purges them for dubious reasons, like to prevent enslaving in this case.
The Ai can choose whether or not to stop people from entering during warops. That's not agency I mean to remove. But I think it's in pretty poor faith to let someone in, and immediately bite the hand that's fed you.

And I feel if someone was truly going to do something malicious, they'd have a much easier time with the board in either hand method, rather than purging and writing their own lawset.

vect0r

Post by vect0r » #673272

sinfulbliss wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:50 pm
Sightld2 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:44 pm
??

I think the claim being made is that the upload is for people who have a legitimate reason (in the AI's eyes) to change the AI's laws. For instance, AIs will not immediately lethal the cap for trying to make nukies nonhuman after war is declared, because OOCly they believe that's a legitimate reason to use their upload, But AIs might kill someone who purges them for dubious reasons, like to prevent enslaving in this case.

Like Domi said it's a good thing to keep this agency with the AI since a single law change can greatly impact their round.
Could you explain yourself a bit more? If I am Asimov, I CANNOT lethal the captain at all. And if a captain is trying to upload laws with war ops, I WILL deny access.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic