Rule 3 Historical/Famous/Media Figures

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Rule 3 Historical/Famous/Media Figures

Post by Armhulen » #674607

Are historical figures allowed now? All the old naming policies got locked with zero ruling, but what's getting me is that I swear there was a historical/famous/media figure rule (Abraham Lincoln, Solid Snake, Jimmy Donaldson, etc). Looking at rule 3...
Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3. Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future. A firstname lastname minimum is required for humans and felinids; other species may instead choose to use the default names assigned to them, such as those given through random names, or otherwise any name that is species-appropriate. Honorifics and nicknames are allowed as long as only one additive is used at a time, i.e "James Williams Jr." or "James "One-Eye" Williams". Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while in-game.
Excessively OOC is defined as names which are intentionally hard to read/spell, references to in-game mechanics or OOC terminology, and any form of nonsensical/bad-faith name (ex. Adolf Hitler, FAGGOT PUNCHER, Poop Boy, xXrobustspaceman420Xx etc).
Clowns, mimes, silicons, wizards, and nuke ops have significantly more leeway in choosing their names, but try to be reasonable.
References to the current round, even if vague; is still considered being IC in OOC.
Due to their tendency to reveal a lot of information from the current round, streaming is not permitted on our servers, with the exception of special events pre-designated by admins and those who register through streaming applications.
Using netspeak terms like "ur", "wtf", "lmao" etc. IC is considered OOC in IC, as are emoticons like ":)".
I don't see any clause about historical figures. What happened and...
► Show Spoiler
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Re: Rule 3 Historical/Famous/Media Figures

Post by Sightld2 » #674640

I could've swore we did because I remembered referencing it in an appeal. But nope turns out it was just Vekter telling me in Bus

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #674656

► Show Spoiler
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #674985

I support whatever ruling will get admins to press the Chrono Legionnaire button more
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #675330

We still don't have a codified naming policy but it's always been considered that having a name blatantly stolen from a political figure opens you up to being asked to change it. We don't do Chrono Legionnaire stuff much anymore because it ironically encourages it - if there's a chance something cool might happen, people will try to make it happen.

The BIG exception is with extremely contentious names, like war criminals, mass shooters, etc. Those aren't allowed wholesale and will get you yelled at.

I'm not against codifying it into the rules (if you really want to do a Chrono gimmick you can ask) but I'd rather we finally finish work on naming policy than shoehorn this into the current rules. Just feels lazy.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #675482

Honestly 90% of it can be summed up as "don't make things weird"
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #675484

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:02 pm Honestly 90% of it can be summed up as "don't make things weird"
I mean I get it but when everyone gets to be Sun Tzu and Muhammad Ali and Duke Nukem we become nrp hippiestation. Is my point
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #675489

Vekter wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:28 am if you really want to do a Chrono gimmick you can ask
We should emphasise more that players can ask for fun gimmicks. It makes me happy when anyone asks for something cool
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #675494

WineAllWine wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:23 pm
Vekter wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:28 am if you really want to do a Chrono gimmick you can ask
We should emphasise more that players can ask for fun gimmicks. It makes me happy when anyone asks for something cool
This is super off topic so please delete if I'm out of line, but god yes, please adminhelp if you have an idea for a cool gimmick. I can't always do them immediately but if it's neat enough, I'll take notes and see what we can do in the future.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #675511

Vekter wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:35 pm
WineAllWine wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:23 pm
This is super off topic so please delete if I'm out of line, but god yes, please adminhelp if you have an idea for a cool gimmick. I can't always do them immediately but if it's neat enough, I'll take notes and see what we can do in the future.

I'm glad to hear someone's on the same page. Making the round interesting is my job, if a player had ideas I'm all for it. To be clear for players: Admins are Dungeon Masters: We want to make the best story for everyone involved.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #675514

yes yes that's great and all but get back on topic...
rasonj
Byond Username: Rasonj

Post by rasonj » #675721

Add it to policy that admins can alter small parts of a name that appears to only serve as a reference to a real or fictional person. If having a small part of your character name altered ruins your interest in the character, they were probably a cheap gimmick to begin with
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #675722

posting again because this got brought up again in admin channels. simplest rule to add is "make a unique name. no real life figures, no characters from media."
Bugstep
Byond Username: Bugstep

Post by Bugstep » #675725

im agreeing with arm here. we need a fairly concise rule that prevents people from naming themselves famous figures/popular media characters.
on top of it just being boring NRPer behavior, it just helps not having to think "is this that one self-antagging lawyer named Saul Goodman I saw last week, or was it one of like the 30 people who have done this same boring gimmick?".
(that's me in the winter coat and cargo beret.)
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #675759

I dislike seeing famous/historical figure names, it's fairly immersion breaking and oftentimes is accompanied by a dumb gimmick.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #677697

bump
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #678268

Why do you need a precedent to do this?

You can do it already.

Admins have already been doing this. Admins will continue doing this.

The players doing this won't be reading our overly long precedents section, and the admins asking players to change their names don't need a precedent for it.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678269

I do need a rule to point at because the way it's worded points out nonsensical/bad-faith names. Nonsensical being xXrobustspaceman420Xx, and bad faith being Adolf Hitler. So someone can easily argue that a name that isn't of a negative person in history is fine. It has happened to me repeatedly and as the rules are I'm just going to send everyone I warn about names to ban appeals. My life gets harder if every single time I bwoink someone over names we need to do the silly "BUT IT DOESN'T SAY THAT IN THE RULES" dance, I just want something to point at, it's confusing, throw me a bone here and just add "no Historical/Famous/Media Figures"

I don't want to sideswipe players either, they should see a rule that is clear on the matter as well if the ruling is supposed to be obvious.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678271

As an added bonus, some admins are fine with Historical/Famous/Media Figures right now, so I can't even get consensus if I had the ban appeal. So yes, this sucks really bad to have as a needlessly ambiguous point.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #678282

Spawning chronos on people who name themselves after famous war criminals sucks because it lets them have fun. Rightclick -> delete and then tell them not to do it next time.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #678308

We feel that this has already been against the rules even if they do not specifically say anything about said figures and that admins are already free to enforce it and have been. If a name and its concept is clearly from some OOC context like in the OP, its probably excessively OOC.

Nobody in this game space is going to actually be Ronald Reagan walking around talking about the Watergate scandal for example. Its a completely OOC concept. There is no way it would exist in this space.

Will consider if there is a way to clarify the rules however for the sake of futureproofing and post again at that point.
Hugs
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #682616

We are changing rule 3.1.1 from:
Excessively OOC is defined as names which are intentionally hard to read/spell, references to in-game mechanics or OOC terminology, and any form of nonsensical/bad-faith name (ex. Adolf Hitler, FAGGOT PUNCHER, Poop Boy, xXrobustspaceman420Xx etc).
Into:
Excessively OOC is defined as names which are intentionally hard to read/spell, references to in-game mechanics or OOC terminology, historical/famous/media, and any form of nonsensical/bad-faith name (ex. Adolf Hitler, FAGGOT PUNCHER, Poop Boy, xXrobustspaceman420Xx etc).
We acknowledge its a bit of a band-aid with the state of naming policy, but it really needed to go in there somewhere.
Hugs