Asimov Borg's

sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Asimov Borg's

Post by sirnat » #83310

So, yesterday I had a permabrig prisoner and was taking to have him borg'd. First a security borg stunned me, (Note, I am the HoS and he's a security borg.) and another officer within robotics.

Now, I get that force borging is "human harm" but that's the thing, I caught up with the borg, took the prisoner and /ordered/ the borg to go to the brig, he didn't follow his order (Borg's name is Girlypants or someshit like that, not even a serious name.)

The problem: Borg's need to follow orders when given by a head of staff, especially in their area of module, I don't know if I want to post a ban request or not for a jobban on the borg, and with all of this aggravation with a possible escaped prisoner I couldn't coordinate a plan sooner to deal with shadowlings below virology, so because of the borg not following it's orders and leaving me be he decided to come /back/ to robotics to stun me and the officer, again for the second time (Note: I had the borg locked down before he came back to robotics, he was all the way in brig at this time.)
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Asimov Borg's

Post by Saegrimr » #83312

The module carries no weight in who they listen to specifically. A secborg should listen to random mcgreyshirt just as much as the head of security. You are both humans, there is no "rank" in the asimov lawset.

Why would the borg follow a law 2 order from you to ignore a law 1 issue currently in front of him? You brought it on yourself.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #83313

You completely misunderstand how borgs work.

A: It does not matter what module a borg picks, they all follow their laws in the exact same way.
B: Asimov borgs do not give a fuck about the chain of command, they give a fuck about their laws
C: You're literally telling the borg to go away so you can murder someone. The borg is OBLIGED to do anything it takes, barring human harm to prevent this.

Even if the guy is a murderer, even if saving his life WILL cause more people to die, the borg MUST prevent the immediate human harm.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #83318

When dealing with Asimov borgs - and AIs - as (effectively non-Asimov) Security, you have a few options:

- Agree to the silicon's suggestion of 'don't forceborg them' and instead give them a choice - solitary in a straitjacket or 'voluntary' borging. If they say they volunteer in front of the AI, it's legit.
- Agree to the silicon's suggestion of 'don't forceborg' them, take them back to the Brig, and wait until the borg leaves. Then forceborg them.
- Try and brute-force through the silicons. This probably won't end well.
- Subvert the silicons. This... also probably won't end well, but if you're forceborging someone, it's a valid option.
sirnat

Post by sirnat » #83319

The borg did not witness any harm taking place, he only saw us in robotics and then stunned 2 officers. I ordered the borg to go to the brig in the hallway outside of medical past the airlocks and took the prisoner elsewhere. He then aided in the man's escape from security and didn't even take him back to the brig.

Also, I've been arrested by a borg before, and they not follow law 2 when ordered to release me when I wouldn't be of any harm to humans, it was known the virologist had spread a disease and when interrogated when "I don't know, I just put alot of stuff together that I thought looked good and spread it around." Even if it turned out to be a "good" virus/disease before that was known it could have been the black plague.

The main problem is, the borg didn't follow his order to go to brig, and followed me to robotics, and we're not allowed to shut them down? I locked him down, or rather had the RD do it, and the AI unlocked him without even asking the reason, in which case the borg's life was not in danger as it was in the brig area and I had someone change it's battery.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #83320

It's fine to lock the borg down (not forever, but in this example, while you borg the prisoner), but if the borg suspects the prisoner is going to get harmed, it will ignore any orders, in order to try stop the harm, even if that results in them escaping.

Borgs not releasing you when you ask, and aren't a law 1 threat, is an entirely seperate issue, which revolvers around secborgs playing sec that are borgs, not borgs that have red paint.
sirnat

Post by sirnat » #83321

Alright, so basically Asimov is no rank, and Paladin is a ranking system? It was just /really/ really frustrating last night.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #83322

Main thing to remember with borgs is they're not human, they're silicon, which mean their laws come before absolutely anything.
Trying to make a borg violate it's laws isn't going to work, and is only going to cause yourself grief.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #83323

P.A.L.A.D.I.N is 'do the right thing'. If the Captain is running around shooting people, a Paladin AI could, in theory, doorcrush them (as to let them continue would be an evil act).
You're thinking of T.Y.R.A.N.T, I think - 'respect authority figures so long as they're strong, and punish people who challenge them unless they're stronger'.

It's best to negotiate with silicons where you can, I've found. If it's not harmful, and you can prove your intentions aren't harmful any more, they won't mind - for forceborging, it's like so:

Forceborging is harmful, and you are forceborging, therefore law one must stop.
Remove any three of these and it works for you. If they volunteer, it's not forced; if they don't see you do it, it didn't happen; if you subvert/lockdown them, they can't do anything.

You could do 'go away or I'll kill them right here and now', but that's really not going to get you on their good side... and if they're a security borg, you're suddenly on the floor and in cuffs for Law One.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #83344

This is the wrong section of the forum please go to policy discussion i shall ask someone to loci this thread when i get home.

Coders cant regulate how players act that is something for admins. The only IC way is lock down the borg. Coders are able to create tools to allow IC regulation though.

If the prisoner asked to be borged tgat is not a forced borging and therefore murder the borgs cant do squat in that case in my opinion and i believe that is policy as well.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #83369

I've moved this to policy discussion since thats the closest thing to a proper section for this thread.

Anywho, The fact that borgs/ais are not on anyone's side starting out is basically a requirement to keep them from becoming OP.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #83384

TheNightingale wrote:When dealing with Asimov borgs - and AIs - as (effectively non-Asimov) Security, you have a few options:

- Agree to the silicon's suggestion of 'don't forceborg them' and instead give them a choice - solitary in a straitjacket or 'voluntary' borging. If they say they volunteer in front of the AI, it's legit.
- Agree to the silicon's suggestion of 'don't forceborg' them, take them back to the Brig, and wait until the borg leaves. Then forceborg them.
- Try and brute-force through the silicons. This probably won't end well.
- Subvert the silicons. This... also probably won't end well, but if you're forceborging someone, it's a valid option.
Take them to a gulag and execute them away from prying eyes*

*note: this does run the risk of the person going to sec borg and arresting you for being 'harmful', though I think we finally agreed this was going into the being a dick territory and so bannable finally.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #83395

Don't forget borgs often get their ques of human harm from the AI. You could be ordering the borg to go into the hallway, etc but if the AI heard you say "We're gonna force borg this guy" and tells the borg, the borg isn't going to listen to you.

Now, what really grinds my gears and I think admins should be cracking down on, is the borgs who think that just because some instance of harm happened once that they have to antagonize security for the rest of the round. Just because you weren't able to prevent someone being borg'd, or killed or even yourself being borg'd doesn't mean you have the right to arrest the HoS and put him in perma/lock him into his office and disobey his every command. Hiding behind the "He beat a prisoner already once/killed someone with the captain's permission so me locking him up now prevents future harm!" is a real stretch as we've already all established it's about *IMMEDIATE* harm.

All in all, Robocop is the superior law set and anyone who uploads PALADIN instead of that is a moron.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #83400

QuartzCrystal wrote:Hiding behind the "He beat a prisoner already once/killed someone with the captain's permission so me locking him up now prevents future harm!" is a real stretch as we've already all established it's about *IMMEDIATE* harm.
That's not a real stretch, it's following Law 1. It's the exact purpose of the Asimov lawset, to be a neutral party and prevent major fuckery. If death or near death is ever involved, silicons are justified in taking measures against whoever is responsible (individuals rather than entire groups).
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #83446

We can either have asimov in name only, with tons of by-laws governing what it can and cannot do.
Or we can allow HoSes to nuke the AI sat when it starts being a pain the arse.

Not this middle ground of "My laws let me antagonise you so I'm going to do it but you can't antagonise me back or I'll get the admins on you - nurrrrrrrrhhhh"

I agree with Quartz, Robocop is best law set - whenever I play captain I change the lawset to that straight away, I've yet to hear anyone complain - neither crew nor antag.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #83455

Scott wrote:
QuartzCrystal wrote:Hiding behind the "He beat a prisoner already once/killed someone with the captain's permission so me locking him up now prevents future harm!" is a real stretch as we've already all established it's about *IMMEDIATE* harm.
That's not a real stretch, it's following Law 1. It's the exact purpose of the Asimov lawset, to be a neutral party and prevent major fuckery. If death or near death is ever involved, silicons are justified in taking measures against whoever is responsible (individuals rather than entire groups).
The issue is (and I perhaps have a different perspective due to seeing this happen as an admin) when the HoS and captain borg a prisoner or execute one. Then the AI spends the remaining 30 minutes of the round antagonizing the HoS and captain instead of answering commands from the rest of the crew or, sometimes in some cases I've seen, preventing further deaths elsewhere in the station.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #83464

Ban that player from silicon.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #83524

Malkevin wrote:We can either have asimov in name only, with tons of by-laws governing what it can and cannot do.
Or we can allow HoSes to nuke the AI sat when it starts being a pain the arse.

Not this middle ground of "My laws let me antagonise you so I'm going to do it but you can't antagonise me back or I'll get the admins on you - nurrrrrrrrhhhh"

I agree with Quartz, Robocop is best law set - whenever I play captain I change the lawset to that straight away, I've yet to hear anyone complain - neither crew nor antag.
We already have the second one though, most of the policy is to clarify what to do in situations. If people weren't retarded all the time when talking about AIs most of that wouldn't be necessary.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #83555

sirnat wrote:The borg did not witness any harm taking place, he only saw us in robotics and then stunned 2 officers. I ordered the borg to go to the brig in the hallway outside of medical past the airlocks and took the prisoner elsewhere. He then aided in the man's escape from security and didn't even take him back to the brig.
I was the one that was being forceborged. I managed to yell onto one of the intercoms with :i that I was being forceborged, so the AI and borgs knew your intention. I was also constantly shouting to the borgs that I was being forceborged as well, and there were plenty in the halls you took me past.

So that's blatantly false. Regardless, he can't take me back to the brig because you'll just go back and forceborg me (i.e. security is perpetuating human harm and refuses to back down / is attacking the borgs -> security is unsafe -> prisoner cannot go to security -> prisoner must be put somewhere safe or released, since the prisoner is not a current law 1 threat, but a latent one, while security is a current law 1 threat, meaning it takes priority). As an aside, I was 100% innocent that round and released a beneficial virus that I pretended was a terrible plague, so I wasn't even a latent law 1 threat, just an idiot. He probably didn't know this, though.

Admittedly, the logic on release of a traitor is a bit sketchy, but I think it was valid. Not that I'd do that myself - I'd probably just lock the prisoner in one of the atmos siderooms and bolt it.
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #83739

The best part is the massive misunderstanding about sillicon in general from people who have hardly played them, like the OP, yet there are hundreds of threads on it.

Half of the sillion still play validhunter yet don't get any punishment for it too.
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law