Should people be allowed to suicide at roundstart

Should you be allowed to suicide at roundstart fnr

Yes as an unimportant role
41%
Occasionally as an unimportant role but don't make it a habit
40%
No you should not be allowed to do this.
18%

Total votes: 164

Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Should people be allowed to suicide at roundstart

Post by Sometinyprick » #85716

Bottom post of the previous page:

Currently killing yourself at roundstart as an assistant or as an unimportant role is allowed.
If you have a reason to go of course this is fine and can be provided, this is strictly for no reason kill yourself and leave shit. (Leaving or disconnecting is effectively the same thing too here)
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Should people be allowed to suicide at roundstart

Post by Stickymayhem » #88973

Yeah bud I'm pretty sure we said we were going to go with the poll on this one.

Clearly it's not most people because most people voted the opposite, and we had a reasonable turnout too.

51/65 don't mind assistants doing it or are even ok with normal jobs doing it occasionally.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #88974

Stickymayhem wrote:Yeah bud I'm pretty sure we said we were going to go with the poll on this one.

Clearly it's not most people because most people voted the opposite, and we had a reasonable turnout too.

51/65 don't mind assistants doing it or are even ok with normal jobs doing it occasionally.
Uh well over half have a big or slight issue with it, we can leave it at don't make it a habit.
Noting that it's all about unimportant roles here normal jobs aren't mentioned.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #88976

Stickymayhem wrote:51/65 don't mind assistants doing it or are even ok with normal jobs doing it occasionally.
If you wanted a answer to that question you should have actually got the poll worded to reflect that, instead of trying to imply that anyone who voted X meant Y as well.

What the poll clearly tells is that almost 28 of the voters are perfectly fine with people in unimportant (what is unimportant?) roles committing suicide at round start, 23 of the voters see it as acceptable only on occasion and not doing it regularly while 14 voters are against round start suicide at all.

Meaning that the best course of action, if we want to reflect this poll, is to go for the "don't make a habit out of it" route.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #88980

The poll was meant to be:

Fine as assistant
Fine occasionally as normal jobs
Never ok

I guess it wasn't worded properly if that wasn't obvious. That's the poll we discussed.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #88981

I thought we already said doing this as a normal job and wasting a slot is bad and shouldn't be allowed?
(THIS IS MUCH EASIER TO DISCUSS ON IRC BY THE WAY)
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #88986

As I said like five times I'm away nerd. I can only access the forums for the next couple of days.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #88991

Stickymayhem wrote:As I said like five times I'm away nerd. I can only access the forums for the next couple of days.
Alright then we can talk about it more when you come back

!EFFICIENCY!
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #88994

Sometinyprick wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:As I said like five times I'm away nerd. I can only access the forums for the next couple of days.

!EFFICIENCY!
!LEADERSHIP!
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #89051

Stickymayhem wrote:
Sometinyprick wrote:

!EFFICIENCY!
!LEADERSHIP!
!BANANNA!

wait
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #90685

Can we get a ruling on this? Ive been seeing more people suiciding at roundstart. As Assistant its not a big deal, but any other job should warrant a ban if you suicide at roundstart.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #90800

If it's repetitive as a job other than assistant adminhelp it. I've spoken to two people about this today.
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Post by Marflow » #91338

Trying to 'fix' roundstart suicide is indeed just trying to patch a symptom rather than the disease, not to mention that it will be difficult to enforce. Sure, adding some inconviniences with code to commiting suicide at roundstart might reduce the amount of roundstart suicides, but it will probably also result in increase of greytiding or people just idling/ghosted/braindead. One way to alleviate this issue is to make more recreational areas for all the crew, public garden was a good step to the right direction. Additional recreational areas could be things like secret drug lab in maint, more autism-construction areas (Drones in derelict a good start, though inadequate stuff to do there) etc. Another way is to add content to existing jobs, like bioengineering for viro/botany.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #91380

You are misunderstanding. People suicide because they either go random and get a job they do not like, or they are rolling for antag. Neither are acceptable reasons to take up actual job slots and suicide at roundstart.
Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

Post by Tunder » #91664

I go catatonic occasionally to observe, and I don't feel it should be an issue unless there people leaving the round every single time they don't get antag.

I'll put ten to fifteen rounds in as a nonantag, doing work and teaching new people, but it'll get tiring eventually if I don't roll antag, so I'll go catatonic after ten or fifteen minutes of a boring shift to watch who did.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with me ghosting for seemingly no reason once every ten or so rounds.
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #195109

Bumping this old thread because apparently this is still an issue. I just observed a round where 5 people suicided within the first few minutes of the round, and they were all in non-Assistant jobs. I know we have a policy for head related suiciding, but can we expand this to stop other suicides as well? As an Assistant its fine because its a useless job, but all other jobs should not be allowed to just suicide. It locks out job slots for actual players, and leaves an ID laying around for antags/griffers. Ive seen the Virologist or Engineers gib themselves outside the HoP line because its some kind of joke now. Its fucking stupid.

And "just adminhelp it" is not a good countermeasure. It feels petty as hell to ahelp this kind of stuff, even if it is a shitty thing to do. Can we not just add it to the rules already and have an announcement?
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #195113

Holy necro... I guess with the new set of headmins(in roughly 10 days) this can be discussed again.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #195121

The issue was never resolved, hell id say its become worse. It was either bump up this thread or start a new one.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #195123

It's never gonna be resolved because trying to force people to actually play the game is impossible.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #195129

Can't make people play if they don't wanna play.
If they're dead shortly after roundstart a _lot_ then maybe have a tracker of some sort ("hey, this guy's suicided at roundstart as engineer 14 times in the last 20 games, with no suicides as antag, I see what's happening here") but that'd require some unnecessary fuckery.

Maybe implement a jobban-lite that still lets people latejoin or get reassigned, but blocks them from getting it at roundstart if they're in the habit of suiciding as soon as they land a job they should have tagged as "never" in their prefs.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #195135

oranges wrote:It's never gonna be resolved because trying to force people to actually play the game is impossible.
Its not a matter of forcing people to play. They are obviously rolling random jobs or rolling for traitor then suiciding when they dont get what they want. If they are leaving for an actual IRL reason, then they could just message an admin. Why sign up with Virology if you have no desire to play the job?
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #195145

Screemonster wrote:Can't make people play if they don't wanna play.
If they're dead shortly after roundstart a _lot_ then maybe have a tracker of some sort ("hey, this guy's suicided at roundstart as engineer 14 times in the last 20 games, with no suicides as antag, I see what's happening here") but that'd require some unnecessary fuckery.

Maybe implement a jobban-lite that still lets people latejoin or get reassigned, but blocks them from getting it at roundstart if they're in the habit of suiciding as soon as they land a job they should have tagged as "never" in their prefs.
No one is ever going to suicide as antag so why even make that first point
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #195199

This has been a problem for years, and is indicative of a severe problem the servers have - muh valids.

People cycle because they need another chance at muh valids. Suiciding at round start is part of that.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #195224

Antagban them without telling them. They can keep joining and suiciding and being disappointed, forever.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #195229

I've played this shit for five years, sometimes I want just antag or sometimes I want to play something else.

Only as assistant though.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #195232

TheNightingale wrote:Antagban them without telling them. They can keep joining and suiciding and being disappointed, forever.
Whilst i consider this to be a just punishment, it wouldnt solve the issue of people suiciding and taking up job slots from people that actually want to play. Hell it might actually make it worse.

If you suicide as an Assistant, i think thats fine. Nobody ever expects Assistants to do anything, and its not like taking that job deprives someone else of it.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #195244

I'd like to see security players given the same treatment as heads of staff who suicide at round start.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #195246

Atlanta-Ned wrote:I'd like to see security players given the same treatment as heads of staff who suicide at round start.
absolutely. yes please.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #195751

AnonymousNow wrote:This has been a problem for years, and is indicative of a severe problem the servers have - muh valids.

People cycle because they need another chance at muh valids. Suiciding at round start is part of that.
Thats because its literally tyhe most fun part of the game
Yoshmaster
Byond Username: YOSHMASTER

Post by Yoshmaster » #195953

People who do this all the time should be declared valid, since the only time they're alive is when they're antag.
It's real great trying to pretend that someone isn't preparing to murder the whole station when you are 100% sure that they are.
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #196143

Science, mning, and botany already have more cool shit.
Now we need to revamp cooking
NSFW:
ADD A FUCKING DEEP FRYER ALREADY ASDGAHAHDH
medbay
Spoiler:
by medbay i mean fucking the entire health system fuck.
fuck revamping assistants
clown has enough toys
NSFW:
maybe give some to the mime
AND REALLY FIX ENGINEERING
The problem is that since there are more ways to BREAK the station and the only buffs engineering got to combat that is more Rcd's... and goofball. Which doesn't help fix the station at all.

Random assistants are more constructive than engineers. :id:
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #196189

People who suicide over antag status can get right the fuck out and go to traitor deathmatch or something. If they are in it for the grief lottery and want to fight defenseless crew with coderbus item 3184 that's totally balanced.

People hate conversion modes because of snowball, but when a tator breaks into sec, loots the armory and plays spess columbine simulator 13 its totally fine.

Round start suicides as anything but assistants should be discouraged. If people make a habit job bans (or dare I say antag bans to nip the behavior in the butt) should be handed out.

People complaining about no shit to do need to wake up. We have construction, crafting, public gardening and forum threads of 101 things you can do while bored to pass the time. If people are bitching that all the 'fun' stuff is locked behind the antag wall, they shouldn't be so eager to support PRs on git that cater to antags and widen the power gap and lock the toys up, support pulls for new jobs, equipment and systems.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #196196

>nip in the butt
Paging Dr. Freud...

The problem is that all the things you can do on a station aren't fun because, with the exception of lavaland, they aren't challenging.
Also: you can't fuck over anyone else if not antag or validhunting, and ruining someone's day is one of the few really entertaining things left to do if you've seen everything and can't into RP for RP's sake.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #196225

DemonFiren wrote:>nip in the butt
Paging Dr. Freud...

The problem is that all the things you can do on a station aren't fun because, with the exception of lavaland, they aren't challenging.
Also: you can't fuck over anyone else if not antag or validhunting, and ruining someone's day is one of the few really entertaining things left to do if you've seen everything and can't into RP for RP's sake.
That is entirely subjective. Some people enjoy the station jobs. Other should not be taking them just so they can suicide within a few minutes. If they want to roll for antag, they can do it as an Assistant rather than selfishly taking up actual jobs without any intent to do them.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #196228

spawn ninjas to cuck them when they finally do roll tator
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #196359

A fruedian slip is to say one thing and mean your mother

Rust, DayZ and pretty much every survival mmo game on the market feature this bullshit, if grief lottery is your thing go play one of them
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #196385

oranges wrote:It's never gonna be resolved because trying to force people to actually play the game is impossible.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #196403

Empty quoting a completely useless post, nice jawb. This isnt about forcing people to play the game, its about stopping people from suiciding every round, taking up job slots, and acting incredibly selfish.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #196441

Hello, yes, you can't force people to do things they don't like. The sooner you'll understand this, the sooner you'll get over your pointless anger and start doing productive things.
Bring back papercult.

Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #196452

Im not saying we should force people to play, im saying we should have a policy banning roundstart suicides in all non-Assistant roles. If they want to roll for antag, they are welcome to do it as Assistants.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #196464

This should make assistant purges more common.
Not a bad thing.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #196470

InsaneHyena wrote:Hello, yes, you can't force people to do things they don't like. The sooner you'll understand this, the sooner you'll get over your pointless anger and start doing productive things.
But you can force people not to do things you don't like.

That's the basis of the whole rules list and most of the policy discussion forum. In this thread, people would like to make it so people don't commit suicide at roundstart if they're not in an assistant role, which is entirely possible. Forcing people not to do that might be a bad idea, but it can be done.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #196471

Yeah, smooth moves, instead of suiciding they will just go AFK for tea and biscuits. Great change.
Bring back papercult.

Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #196499

InsaneHyena wrote:Yeah, smooth moves, instead of suiciding they will just go AFK for tea and biscuits. Great change.
If it were a policy rather than a coder change, they would be banned no matter what method they used.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #196505

Hah, admins can barely enforce policy as is and you want to add something really fiddly to enforce?

That'll go so well.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #196508

How would it be hard to enforce? Im not an admin so i do not know what tools they get, but im pretty sure they can add notes to players. If someone is repeatedly doing this, it would be possible to track it with notes, no? Any admin that observes from the start of the round can see who dies. Hell as a coder person im sure you could code something similar to the roundstart logout report thingy, but for deaths.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #196519

Observe at roundstart, wait three minutes, check the orbit list for anyone who's dead; if they're a suicide, note. Second time, antagban.
"But then they'll go braindead!"
Ban those ones too. Ban everyone until they get the message.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #196520

^^^This is why you aren't a game developer
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #196529

TheNightingale wrote:Ban everyone until they get the message.
IM TRYING
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #196564

Atlanta-Ned wrote:I'd like to see security players given the same treatment as heads of staff who suicide at round start.
>Get rolled into a job you hate because you wanted to be clown along with everyone else
>Suicide because security is suffering
>Get banned because ??????

G e n i u s
TheNightingale wrote:Observe at roundstart, wait three minutes, check the orbit list for anyone who's dead; if they're a suicide, note. Second time, antagban.
"But then they'll go braindead!"
Ban those ones too. Ban everyone until they get the message.
>Join the round
>Suddenly mom/work/your cat calls and needs something
>Have to leave
>Come back to be banned because you went braindead

G E N I U S
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #196565

How about you stop enabling jobs if you dont want to do them? If you do not want to play Sec, just disable it in your preferences. Unless that old bug is still around where you would get forced to play jobs you didnt select, but im sure that was fixed a long time ago.

If you need to leave at the start of the round, then send an adminhelp. As long as you do not make it a regular thing then i doubt it would be an issue. This is a policy to stop the repeat offenders, not anyone and everyone who has other shit to do.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #196569

Alex Crimson wrote:How about you stop enabling jobs if you dont want to do them? If you do not want to play Sec, just disable it in your preferences. Unless that old bug is still around where you would get forced to play jobs you didnt select, but im sure that was fixed a long time ago.
He probably has the "Get random job if preferences unavailable" option toggled.