Should people be allowed to suicide at roundstart

Should you be allowed to suicide at roundstart fnr

Yes as an unimportant role
41%
Occasionally as an unimportant role but don't make it a habit
40%
No you should not be allowed to do this.
18%

Total votes: 164

Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Should people be allowed to suicide at roundstart

Post by Sometinyprick » #85716

Bottom post of the previous page:

Currently killing yourself at roundstart as an assistant or as an unimportant role is allowed.
If you have a reason to go of course this is fine and can be provided, this is strictly for no reason kill yourself and leave shit. (Leaving or disconnecting is effectively the same thing too here)
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Re: Should people be allowed to suicide at roundstart

Post by lzimann » #196569

Alex Crimson wrote:How about you stop enabling jobs if you dont want to do them? If you do not want to play Sec, just disable it in your preferences. Unless that old bug is still around where you would get forced to play jobs you didnt select, but im sure that was fixed a long time ago.
He probably has the "Get random job if preferences unavailable" option toggled.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #196572

If I have to quit playing, I have to quit playing. I'm not going to stick around because some fat neckbeard across the world wants me to virtual ERP with him for 30 minutes even if it's not fun for me.

Forcing someone to do something makes it not-fun. We want players to have fun. This is the opposite of fun. Please go back to your holes you crawled out of.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #196575

iamgoofball wrote:If I have to quit playing, I have to quit playing. I'm not going to stick around because some fat neckbeard across the world wants me to virtual ERP with him for 30 minutes even if it's not fun for me.

Forcing someone to do something makes it not-fun. We want players to have fun. This is the opposite of fun. Please go back to your holes you crawled out of.
What are you even talking about? Really, i have no idea where you are pulling these ideas from. Nobody is trying to "force" you to play anything. Are you the kind of person that regularly suicides when they get a job they do not want? Why do you have your game preferences set up in such a way?
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #196596

lzimann wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:How about you stop enabling jobs if you dont want to do them? If you do not want to play Sec, just disable it in your preferences. Unless that old bug is still around where you would get forced to play jobs you didnt select, but im sure that was fixed a long time ago.
He probably has the "Get random job if preferences unavailable" option toggled.
why is that the default option anyway

is it even the default? It's been a while since I dicked with character setup.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #196597

Problem with game mechanics that alot of jobs don't have that much to do/broken shit to do.
Obviously there are going to be jobs that some people hate but others like, as is human nature, but we need diversity.
If people want to roundstart combat as nonantag, miner is a good role, but we always need more content for it.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #196625

More content for all the jobs would be great, but its a big job so i would feel bad asking the coders to do all that. Punishing selfish people who random job > suicide seems like a much easier and effective option. Just having the policy and announcing it would stop most people.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #196642

I don't think it would be a bad idea to have an antag feature freeze for awhile. Keep fixing bugs and doing balance changes of existing antag stuff, but as far as new content maybe the devs should focus on regular crew jobs for awhile.
--Crocodillo

peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #196648

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Atlanta-Ned wrote:I'd like to see security players given the same treatment as heads of staff who suicide at round start.
>Get rolled into a job you hate because you wanted to be clown along with everyone else
>Suicide because security is suffering
>Get banned because ??????

G e n i u s
Get banned because you literally can't even deal with playing a role so much so you'd rather sit out the round and complain in deadchat that you didn't get the job role you like even though you selected in your preferences or for some reason still have get random job if unavailable or you've just got one single job type set to high with nothing else and that job slot is clown so you have a pretty damn low chance of getting that job slot as its just one person.
Geni-ass
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #196662

cmspano wrote:I don't think it would be a bad idea to have an antag feature freeze for awhile. Keep fixing bugs and doing balance changes of existing antag stuff, but as far as new content maybe the devs should focus on regular crew jobs for awhile.
Feature Freezes don't incentivize people to do different things, just put other things they want to do on hold. Just let people get the features they want to do out of the way instead of trying to force them to do something they don't like (just like why people suicide roundstart)
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #196724

peoplearestrange wrote:Get banned because you literally can't even deal with playing a role so much so you'd rather sit out the round and complain in deadchat that you didn't get the job role you like even though you selected in your preferences or for some reason still have get random job if unavailable or you've just got one single job type set to high with nothing else and that job slot is clown so you have a pretty damn low chance of getting that job slot as its just one person.
Geni-ass
>Projecting this hard

G E N I U S
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #196727

iamgoofball wrote:If I have to quit playing, I have to quit playing. I'm not going to stick around because some fat neckbeard across the world wants me to virtual ERP with him for 30 minutes even if it's not fun for me.

>you should only play a game as long as its fun

This is true for regular games that are fun, but our game is set up so that only a certain subset of randomly selected players are allowed to have fun each round, and the social contract requires that you be their punching bag for an hour so that they'll stick around and be yours when your turn as antag comes up.

It's why games like dota have low priority for abandons.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #196746

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Atlanta-Ned wrote:I'd like to see security players given the same treatment as heads of staff who suicide at round start.
>Get rolled into a job you hate because you wanted to be clown along with everyone else
>Suicide because security is suffering
>Get banned because ??????

G e n i u s
TheNightingale wrote:Observe at roundstart, wait three minutes, check the orbit list for anyone who's dead; if they're a suicide, note. Second time, antagban.
"But then they'll go braindead!"
Ban those ones too. Ban everyone until they get the message.
>Join the round
>Suddenly mom/work/your cat calls and needs something
>Have to leave
>Come back to be banned because you went braindead

G E N I U S

>ahelp that you dont want to play/have to leave

>leave

Woah... causes ones mind to ponder
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #196747

Bing bam boom a solution that doesn't require more policy vomit
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #196761

>admins ever enforcing this policy

no chance
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #196764

What makes you say that? Is there something about it that makes it hard to enforce? Simply warning repeat suiciders would be enough to stop most people.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #196770

Because they already are bad at enforcing the head suicide rule
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #196772

B A N N E D
F O R
P O O P I N G
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #196825

Kor wrote: It's why games like dota have low priority for abandons.
Should we set up a low/no-priority antag system for those that abandon the round and refuse to be the punching bag?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #196827

if we as the developers cannot make our game fun, penalizing players for not staying to not-have-fun is not the fix
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #196828

J_Madison wrote:
Should we set up a low/no-priority antag system for those that abandon the round and refuse to be the punching bag?
iamgoofball wrote:if we as the developers cannot make our game fun, penalizing players for not staying to not-have-fun is not the fix
I keep fucking telling everybody mobas are no-fun garbage but thanks goofball for proving it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #196835

It's a never ending cycle;

X player plays only for antag.
X player doesn't get antag, doesn't play, or tries to make the round shorter.
Y player gets antag, plays conservatively.
Y player suffers from X player purposely trying to degrade the round.
Round ends.
X player gets antag.
X player uses this to affect the round by liberally affecting everyone's experience.
Y player suffers from X player affecting the round.

It's an endless cycle where one bad apple ruins them all because "if I don't get antag the round ends now, and I don't contribute".

The proposed solution is to ban or massively reduce the rates of antag selection for non-contributing players until they contribute. This breaks part of the cycle.

And there would be leeway and room for players that couldn't contribute due to means outside of their control.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #196841

Saegrimr wrote:
J_Madison wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:if we as the developers cannot make our game fun, penalizing players for not staying to not-have-fun is not the fix
I keep fucking telling everybody mobas are no-fun garbage but thanks goofball for proving it.
It's why I quit mobas yeah. Didn't like being held hostage by a videogame.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #196849

J_Madison wrote:It's a never ending cycle;

X player plays only for antag.
X player doesn't get antag, doesn't play, or tries to make the round shorter.
Y player gets antag, plays conservatively.
Y player suffers from X player purposely trying to degrade the round.
Round ends.
X player gets antag.
X player uses this to affect the round by liberally affecting everyone's experience.
Y player suffers from X player affecting the round.

It's an endless cycle where one bad apple ruins them all because "if I don't get antag the round ends now, and I don't contribute".

The proposed solution is to ban or massively reduce the rates of antag selection for non-contributing players until they contribute. This breaks part of the cycle.

And there would be leeway and room for players that couldn't contribute due to means outside of their control.

This is exactly right, that's why people liked lifeweb, you got to essentially choose to be antag, which made it not a special occasion, so people would want to be on both the antag and the loyal sides.

peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #196858

Lifeweb is simply two opossing forces, and nothing works as intended. Which is fine in LW because no one expects it to, its not linked to any kinda meme or reality. SS13 is too much of a trope to not have expectations into how roles work.
OR rather, the game we currently have in front of us has set up its own world and set of rules, its not dependant on game mechanics as much as lifeweb or some other variations of code that some ss13 servers run.
If you wanted the experience to be similar to lifeweb your going to have to make the whole game a lot less text RP and want the interactions to come from unavoidable situations.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #196859

I mean I never played lifeweb I'm only going off what I heard

Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #196880

Lifeweb still has full-on game mode antags. There is just nothing stopping you from going on a murder spree except your own conscience. People on LW can be surprisingly nice people, for the most part. Ive even seen Dante on there a few times and he hasnt brutally murdered me. The roundstart suicides on there are also pretty much non-existent.

DOTA punishes abandons because quitting due to a bad situation screws over your team. Its not like people only abandoned games in completely hopeless situations. The system was added because players were quitting over anything and everything. There should be a punishment for that kind of player.

Like i said, i do not think having a system like that here would help much. What id like to see is people realising how selfish it is to constantly antag roll and suicide. However only in non-Assistant jobs. If they want to continue their tator lottery as an Assistant, i do not see the harm. My problem is when they are doing it in jobs roles that other people actually want to play. I do not see how stopping this would be unreasonable or "force" you to play the game.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #196887

Bawhoppennn wrote:I mean I never played lifeweb I'm only going off what I heard
Lifeweb was popular because it wasn't ss13.
It had minimal admin interaction, antagonist ambiguity, anti-munchkin mindset, fresh content, unique mechanics, ability to respawn, list goes on.

To compare an open source low RP ss13, against closed source, high RP lifeweb isn't fair.

The playerbase mindset is completely different, mechanically you couldn't powergame effectively, the game was made for you interact, explore, die, have fun. Essentially it's a completely different game.

Lifeweb was fun because you were made to feel pain. Lifeweb was fun because everyone could have antagonist urges. Lifeweb made suiciding >because I'm not Cerberus :((((( unfun.

Lifeweb was build around making players think outside the box instead of doing the same shit expecting a different experience. The content was made to cull undesirable players.
Alex Crimson wrote:What id like to see is people realising how selfish it is to constantly antag roll and suicide. However only in non-Assistant jobs. If they want to continue their tator lottery as an Assistant, i do not see the harm. My problem is when they are doing it in jobs roles that other people actually want to play. I do not see how stopping this would be unreasonable or "force" you to play the game.
That's only if they suicide. And the rate of which suicides occur means 10% of the server pop doesn't play.
When they don't suicide, I've seen players actively fuck with the round to shorten it or actively ruin other antagonists experience because "if I don't get fun, nobody does". It's a problem that can only be solved by solving the player problem.
SuperElement
Byond Username: SuperElement

Post by SuperElement » #197145

Just going to throw in two fairly exceptional cases of traitor-or-suicide: Ronald Jerome, and Dante Smith. Both characters belonged to players who for a chunk of time would suicide if they didn't get an antagonist role.

Ronald Jerome did the exact same thing as a traitor every single game. He'd rush for a space suit, break into tech storage for an AI upload board, subvert the AI and go on a killing rampage. Back when we had cloaking devices, he'd take a cloak and e-bow and just straight out murderbone. He was completely predictable, down to the point with a little bit of meta you could follow his movements without trying. Knowing helped a bit, but was by no means a ticket to victory or even survival. He was often Station Engineer when he suicided, and did so in his area.

Dante Smith would change tactics over periods of time, but would do the same thing for a while. At one point he would emag a cyborg roundstart, get it to quietly let him into the AI upload and then one-human the AI before even 5 minutes had passed. He was fairly predictable, but incredibly robust and very difficult to take down alone. If he was outed by an AI that was slow to read their new laws or someone saw before he could slip in, he often failed, but made a massive mess doing so. Other times he'd rampage in a mech, or straight out murderbone. He also made one of the most competent security staff the station had ever seen when not a traitor.

And both of them were (mostly) fun to play with.

They were like a corny comic villain, easy to predict but fairly troublesome nevertheless. They never committed suicide in head positions (except late into a peaceful round, because who wouldn't, or if they had to leave).

I think that suiciding at round start is, as Kor said, a symptom and not the problem itself. From the sounds of it admins are having to babysit players more to make sure that they are behaving rather than being able to nurture fun elements throughout a round, causing a cycle of boring rounds breeding more delinquents.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #197166

Amusingly both of those players are banned. Don't forget Sticky "Steiner not braindead? Red alert for 'random' search" Mayhem.
Last edited by Saegrimr on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #197175

Coming up with rules for this would be both obtuse and probably tyrannical. Along with vague definitions like "doing it too much". Probably better to let admins consider giving warning and notes on people and if they really feel a specific player is hurting the server after being warned they can rule 0 them.

Aside from that the idea of loosening the rules on what's IC and what's an OOC issue might help some people feel like they can create some drama without being an antag and not have to worry as much about getting slapped by an admin.
--Crocodillo

Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #197185

cmspano wrote:Coming up with rules for this would be both obtuse and probably tyrannical. Along with vague definitions like "doing it too much". Probably better to let admins consider giving warning and notes on people and if they really feel a specific player is hurting the server after being warned they can rule 0 them.
Thing is, the rule 0 system is what we currently use. Admins always say things like "just let us know and we will deal with it". Its great that they want to handle the individual cases of antag rolling suiciders, but its not affecting the majority. As long as its an unofficial rule thats enforced case-by-case, nobody is going to take it seriously. We need an actual rule and announcement, like when ERP was banned. Its the only way people are going to get the message.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #197322

i have the right to decide not to play the game and you can't take it from me
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #197342

iamgoofball wrote:i have the right to decide not to play the game and you can't take it from me
Nobody's saying you can't decide not to play the game. We're saying that if you decide not to play the game after you've already started playing the game, you won't be able to play some of the game in future.

It's like an Olympic runner, about to start a race. The runner can walk away and give up; they have the right to do that. Nobody's forcing the runner to run. If they walk away a lot, they won't be allowed to run in the Olympics again.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #197365

iamgoofball wrote:i have the right to decide not to play the game and you can't take it from me
You don't have to play; that's your right to play.

But it's not your right to have a slice of the cake of fun.
You don't want to do the spelling bee?
You don't have to. You also don't have any right to the trophy or recognition either.

Welcome to the tontine; if you don't offer money to the tontine, you don't get to take out of the tontine.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #197368

I dont know what the fuck a tontine is but he is right. If players are not willing to play the game and be candy glass for the tators to jump through, then why should they get the other half of the game? Something something grief lottery

EDIT: At the same time this is basically impossible to enforce except in very obvious cases of abuse or when people admit to it, and bans are handed out in both cases
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #197372

Well, many of the rules we have are impossible to enforce if the player has half a brain and makes an effort to be subtle. Just the fact the rules are there act as a deterrent. Then there are the obvious suiciders that immediately suicide within a few minutes of the round starting. I dont think its fair to expect the admins to catch any and every rule breaker.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #197373

I think the biggest problem is how most players already played for 1/2+ years and all the jobs are already boring so they just roll for antag. Perhaps we should renew the jobs instead of banning people for being tired of them. Yes, change is hard and people will complain(including me), but sometimes it is necessary.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #197378

I mean that sounds great, but it would require an insane amount of effort from the coders. A lot of jobs would need a lot of work.

Anyways, that isnt the issue. Players could antag roll as much as they want as Assistants, but they choose to take up actual jobs slots instead. Its not hard to just antag roll as an Assistant then ask the HoP for a job change. People are just selfish. Even if you updated all the jobs, the selfish players are still going to shit all over that effort and continue to suicide.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #197413

lzimann wrote:I think the biggest problem is how most players already played for 1/2+ years and all the jobs are already boring so they just roll for antag. Perhaps we should renew the jobs instead of banning people for being tired of them. Yes, change is hard and people will complain(including me), but sometimes it is necessary.
This is why I've played a lot of botany recently, because the genetic modification makes it really interesting (And griefy but shh)
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #197424

Wyzack wrote:I dont know what the fuck a tontine is but he is right. If players are not willing to play the game and be candy glass for the tators to jump through, then why should they get the other half of the game? Something something grief lottery

EDIT: At the same time this is basically impossible to enforce except in very obvious cases of abuse or when people admit to it, and bans are handed out in both cases
It would be easily enforced with a little bit of coder help. All that is needed is some extra logging and let admins consult a player's suicide/afk stats.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #197444

i'm going to add a button that makes your character disappear, any antags with you as an objective get it re-rolled to someone else with notification, and it re-opens your slot

you have no more excuses to bitch about people deciding they dont want to play the round
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #197448

just put bay/polaris cryopods 'cause that's literally the reason they have them (besides their rounds lasting six fucking hours)
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #197453

iamgoofball wrote:i'm going to add a button that makes your character disappear, any antags with you as an objective get it re-rolled to someone else with notification, and it re-opens your slot

you have no more excuses to bitch about people deciding they dont want to play the round
>break all the hop windows, smash more open to space
>security are after me
>poof out of existance
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #197454

To be fair, you can fling yourself into space and go braindead now with much the same effect.

edit: I'd be more concerned about someone mashing the ghost button the moment someone draws an esword on them, leaving the traitor with a completely different target to kill somewhere else on the station, and their cover already blown.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #197620

Then do a Planetside 2 and put this thing on cooldown.
Or pull a Bay and make there be four static machines on the entire station that can do this.
Or better yet, just don't do it at all.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #197622

Or just have someone being gibbed reset their slot for latejoiners and re-add oxygen tank gibbing.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #197830

I don't think I've ever committed suicide to leave the round. I mean, I have but in the Bryce Pax way y'know? It's way more interesting.
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #198042

add a departures shuttle that lets unimportant (but unessential) spessmen "punch out"

recycle the job, non-standard gear into a lost-and-found, or better, categorized capsules

add fun lore like the ship flying into a blast furnace

then we can talk about banning suishits
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #198048

Or maybe just have the crematorium and gibber do that.
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #198052

pretend stuffing people into furnaces and grindy mechanisms to be squelched into a pulp is a godawful practice for both courtesy and immersion
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #198384

IcePacks wrote:add a departures shuttle that lets unimportant (but unessential) spessmen "punch out"

recycle the job, non-standard gear into a lost-and-found, or better, categorized capsules

add fun lore like the ship flying into a blast furnace

then we can talk about banning suishits
That... that actually be a nice idea...
I might try that for a few rounds with admin trickery.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box