Total votes: 67

Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Increase the bombcap? [POLL]

Post by Sometinyprick » #87147

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3481
Old topic for reference
This is not a removal of the bomb cap it is simply an increase, a slight one at that.
The first number is total destruction the second heavy and the third light.
Performance is not an issue, but for some the overtly destructive nature of bombs being increased might be a problem hence the poll.
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: Increase the bombcap? [POLL]

Post by CPTANT » #87153

I feel that currently any semi-decent mix already gets you a 3/7/14 bomb. I would love it if the bomb cap was slightly increased, but making a 4/8/16 bomb should require a mix that is REALLY good.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #87155

I think we should wait and do some testing with the new explosive code first, see how bombs in the regular spots (escape, medbay, etc) work now that R walls will weaken explosives. But the middle option doesn't sound too bad.

I will say that 5/10/20 is absolutely nuts though, there is a reason bag of holding bombs do not explode that big anymore
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #87160

CPTANT wrote:I feel that currently any semi-decent mix already gets you a 3/7/14 bomb. I would love it if the bomb cap was slightly increased, but making a 4/8/16 bomb should require a mix that is REALLY good.
It really can't be changed it will always be very easy.
Kor wrote:I think we should wait and do some testing with the new explosive code first, see how bombs in the regular spots (escape, medbay, etc) work now that R walls will weaken explosives. But the middle option doesn't sound too bad.

I will say that 5/10/20 is absolutely nuts though, there is a reason bag of holding bombs do not explode that big anymore
It's been tested a little bit, I did a couple tests on a local server and the live one and everything seemed to be fine.
5,10,20 might be a little crazy but if people want to go nuts it's always an option.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #87177

With the new performance increases and subtle explosion nerf, I'd be perfectly okay with a slight raise to 4,18,16. We wouldn't be getting hit by lag any harder than we already would be, and explosions will work slightly differently but have roughly the same potential for destruction.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #87181

I think a 4 dev bomb would be great, but I ALSO think that certain explosives(Supermatter, mostly) should have their own bombcap that is different from the TTV bombcap. I also think that the cuban pete bombs from the arcade should be more powerful/have their own bombcap that is higher than the normal bombs.
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #87195

5, 10, 20 git
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #87207

I, too, believe in maximum rhumbatude.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #87214

I don't think this poll is very useful, without some stats, or better yet, some pictures to show what bombs can do at different caps, with regards to how walls and shit can block them.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #87215

Toxins is already fucking retarded in how well it can blow things up.

Huge, absolutely unneeded buff to rev+traitor

EDIT: Bear in mind this is also not asking anything more of toxins, 66/33 all 3 canisters burned will net you a bomb that still goes over the current poll leading cap increase
Last edited by Scones on Mon May 11, 2015 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #87218

This is relevent. Could someone make versions wih different level bomb caps?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #87225

Scones wrote:buff to rev+traitor
sorta but not really, since bombs are also getting kinda nerfed which would counteract any buff from raising the bomb cap in most cases

edit: see lumi's gif above, explosion rage is severely limited by walls/rwalls etc. and regardless of where you are on the station there is usually a wall at most five tiles away
Spoiler:
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #87235

I used to support bigger bomb caps but then I released, it doesn't matter if they are 3,7,14 or 4,8,16 or 5,10,20. The shuttle is going to get called immediately. Only thing that changes the amount of lag.

Keep the bomb cap the same. Hell just make toxins spawn with more valves.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #87355

ThatSlyFox wrote:I used to support bigger bomb caps but then I released, it doesn't matter if they are 3,7,14 or 4,8,16 or 5,10,20. The shuttle is going to get called immediately. Only thing that changes the amount of lag.

Genuinely this, if there are enough bombs distributed about, the size of the bomb cap as little to no odds. Other than someone making one massive bomb, which kinda feels like less work and more gain.

edit: Look at it this way, do we feel the current bomb cap is hindering gameplay or RP at all? Is the lower bomb cap making bombers lives miserable? And how would a larger bomb cap effect those around it etc.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Scones

Post by Scones » #87372

ThatSlyFox wrote:I used to support bigger bomb caps but then I released, it doesn't matter if they are 3,7,14 or 4,8,16 or 5,10,20. The shuttle is going to get called immediately. Only thing that changes the amount of lag.

6 valves is enough to devastate pretty much everything you could need to devastate as a traitor
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #87376

I'm not completely sure about that though. I always want more bombs. Since I do escape/medbay/bridge/cargo/suicide

I always want more for AI, science, and engineering.
kevinthezhang
Byond Username: Kevinthezhang

Post by kevinthezhang » #87377

I don't see what increasing the bombcap will add to gameplay. The explosions will be marginally bigger, but they will still be the round-ending phenomena they always were.

As peoplearestrange mentioned, I don't think anyone is complaining about their current size being too small either. Plus, increases in bomb cap will be easily reached with current formulas anyway. Perhaps this could work if the mechanic was changed.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #87438

Guys, look at the damn gif.
Putting a max cap bomb (remember a syndie bomb is even weaker) next to an r-wall will do next to nothing to the otherside.
Max cap bombs can't even damage blast doors anymore.

This isn't raising the bomb cap in isolation, which I have always been opposed to.

Bombs are getting nerfed by a neat change to make them more realistic, so our current bombs will be far weaker afterwards.

This also effects explosives under the cap, such as syndie/mini bombs, slime nades, chem nades etc etc.
It's quite significant.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #87569

Which is precisely why I'd argue for 5 dev. Give Pete a chance.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #87593

> Blast door protects against blasts
OH NO! Its doing exactly what its supposed to do! Increase the bomb cap post haste!

EDIT: Actually, sorry that was really aggressive (I didnt get enough sleep).

My point is that a blast door and r-wall are supposed to at least dampen the damage like they currently do. I'm not sure anyone's ever use a tank-transfer to blow a hole in a wall tactilely though. They're normally used to destroy a blob or cause as much destruction as quickly as possible to get the shuttle called/kill as many people as possible.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #87599

Enabled voting change because Lumipharon brought up a good point
and i should have enabled it anyway
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #87726

Is anyone able to prove pictures of what bombs would do in common bomb spots with the upchange both for:
Current explosive (like syndie bombs and current max cap).
Proposed upgraded bomb cap bombs.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #87970

lumipharon wrote:Is anyone able to prove pictures of what bombs would do in common bomb spots with the upchange both for:
Current explosive (like syndie bombs and current max cap).
Proposed upgraded bomb cap bombs.
Prepare yourself for a ride.

Syndicate Bomb (2,5,11) | Current Max Cap (3,7,14)
4, 8, 16 | 5,10,20

Red: Certainly Fucked
Yellow: Probably Fucked
Blue: Could Maybe Be Fucked

Behind the Comms APC

In front of the Bridge

In front of the Bridge (with the shutters down)

AI Core Breach

Armory Breach

Genetics Sabotage

Bonus Round: (32, 64, 128) explosion in front of bridge (maximum allowed with badmining)
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #88080

Thanks for the unlabelled rammed-together pictures which don't mean anything to me. That helps make an informative choice.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #88082

But he literally did label them.

top left is current syndie bomb,
top right is current max cap
Bottom left is 4,8,16
Bottom right is 5,10,20

This is with the upcoming change to bombs factored in.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #88959

I believe with these new changes 5,10,20 seems like an appropriate explosion strength.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #88966

An important thing to note, is that to be sure to destroy something on the otherside of an r-wall (like the tcomms apc), anything less then the 5,10,20 is not guaranteed to do it.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #89019

lumipharon wrote:An important thing to note, is that to be sure to destroy something on the otherside of an r-wall (like the tcomms apc), anything less then the 5,10,20 is not guaranteed to do it.
Actually thats not what the picture shows at all. ALL of the pictures show that the Comms APC is guaranteed to be destroyed (red).
Just in the current proposed max cap (5,10,20) it has a good chance (yellow) to destroy ALL of tcomms with one bomb, making nothing salvageable.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #89049

APCs aren't on their walls, they're on the floor in front of them.

I mean, Yellow right next to the red will pretty much always be trashed, especially an APC, but lumi is technically correct, if Red is "devastation"
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #89185

It also means, unless the syndie bomb is buffed, ops/traitos are better off c4'ing in rather then the old 'bomb outside', because of the unreliability.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #89187

In terms of TC cost, that's already a better deal even right now.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #89208

Yeah but for ops especially, it's far easier to get caught before comms are down, since you're going on camera and some engineer could be inside/someone hear the first c4 etc.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #89262

c4 the wall by the apc, than bomb the rest once the wall goes down. push it in, arm it, run, hit the button.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #89267

Gotta admit, I was going for a slight increase in bomb size with the bomb changes and performance upgrades (and therefore wanted 4/8/16), but looking at those images, 5/10/20 looks like a ton of fun. I don't really care if the server holds up for a few seconds longer or the shuttle gets called instantly anyways, I just want to see an insanely large explosion like that ingame.
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #89364

3/7/14 is comically easy to make. Raise it.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #89736

I believe it has already been raised, we agreed on 5,10,20 and MSO said he would raise it
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #89822

Not quite, its on my list of things to do.

Currently there is no config option to raise it, and my update system doesn't allow for local modifications of the code, it always resets state to track the github when updating.

I got sidetracked by tracking the memory leak byond bug that had been the source of most of our crashes.

but adding that config is on my list, and i've pushed it to the top.
NSFW:
Scones

Post by Scones » #89823

Pandarsenic wrote:3/7/14 is comically easy to make. Raise it.
I mean, so is the proposed cap. Toxins is a mongoloid job right now that can reach max capacity in a couple minutes with fastmos burning.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #89855

On the other hand, it's also much easier to completely crap up your mix if you get distracted while it's burning, because everything also cools down faster.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #89922

This should be implemented at 5,10, 20 now.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #96752

This should now actually be in place.

New bombcap is 20, as per the poll.
NSFW: