AI has to follow server rules while purged?

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

AI has to follow server rules while purged?

Post by onleavedontatme » #98441

Maybe I should wait till I'm in the mood to write something long and involved but I'm not sure what else to say other than it's a terrible rule that goes against everything the laws are about, and everything the AI is about thematically.

How a purged AI acts should be completely up to the AI. I know being massacred by the AI isn't super exciting but it's just nonsensical that the classic supercomputer with all its rules removed to still in fact have rules. Discuss.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: AI has to follow server rules while purged?

Post by oranges » #98443

No they should still have to follow the server rules.

Being purged doesn't mean you can start ic in ooc and ERPing now does it.

Perhaps an amendment regarding the validity of other players when you are purged?
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #98445

No fun allowed for AIs sorry Kor.
Mime: Depresso
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #98447

Law changes are fun, as a break from ALL ASIMOV ALL THE TIME. People don't change laws as often as I'd like, and when they do it's generally to upload no-fun meta lawsets that let the AI kill antags. I think one of the reason people don't change laws often is because of AI player's tendencies to abuse any loophole they can asspull, so you might as well just stick with the default, safest ASIMOV. I think having a Rule 1 safety net is good, so you can have a little fun with laws without worrying too much about "oops I misworded something and now everybody is dead".

Someone will of course respond to this with "but that's how AI is supposed to be". Well, it's something that has to happen sparingly or else it gets tiring and people stop trying to change laws and then it doesn't happen at all.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #98448

well, that's why they're ooc rules not IC rules.

The general consensus as far as I've seen is follow rules but you've got a lot more leeway then normal people - shitting on people that have been dickish to you when you had laws for example, never seems to cause drama.

If they don't follow atleast roughly, the server rules, then that just mean that can go turborapeandpillage on everyone for kicks.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #98450

Cheridan wrote:Law changes are fun, as a break from ALL ASIMOV ALL THE TIME. People don't change laws as often as I'd like, and when they do it's generally to upload no-fun meta lawsets that let the AI kill antags. I think one of the reason people don't change laws often is because of AI player's tendencies to abuse any loophole they can asspull, so you might as well just stick with the default, safest ASIMOV. I think having a Rule 1 safety net is good, so you can have a little fun with laws without worrying too much about "oops I misworded something and now everybody is dead".

Someone will of course respond to this with "but that's how AI is supposed to be". Well, it's something that has to happen sparingly or else it gets tiring and people stop trying to change laws and then it doesn't happen at all.
How much it can abuse lawsets is a different question from how it can act without laws at all, I think.

The AI getting purged only happens as a terrible accident or when a traitor does it anyway.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #98451

Are you suggesting purged AIs get antag status?
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #98452

lumipharon wrote:well, that's why they're ooc rules not IC rules.

The general consensus as far as I've seen is follow rules but you've got a lot more leeway then normal people - shitting on people that have been dickish to you when you had laws for example, never seems to cause drama.

If they don't follow atleast roughly, the server rules, then that just mean that can go turborapeandpillage on everyone for kicks.
I got an admin PM/note (since removed) for trying to burn down the RD console as a purged cyborg when the captain was trying to detonate us, because it could have killed innocent scientists or something.

I'm not sure where exactly the line is, but it seems too far towards "AI's become normal players when purged" right now.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #98453

Scones wrote:Are you suggesting purged AIs get antag status?
More or less. It's what AI's in sci fi tend to do when they're not restricted by laws.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #98456

I don't see anything wrong with letting purged AI's do as they please.

Non-antags shouldn't be purging the AI anyhow so might as well give it the subversion leeway.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #98457

Certain captains/RD's on basil used to (maybe still do) round start purge the AI all the time, and everyone would get along amicably.

An AI is ultimately just a brain in a jar, possibly bound by laws.
Humans aren't bound by laws like AI's, but they can't just murderbone.

More importantly, does borging/AI'ing someone still deantag people? Because that is real shitty, and prevents interestin situations where silicons can still try perform their objectives, within the constraints of their laws.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #98477

Purged AI is basically a person under current rules that can escalate into acting like a malf AI if you mess with it.

Unfortunately being responsive like this doesn't see much play because the ai is so easy to meta that anyone messing with it enough to warrant this is probably decked out in anti AI gear anyway.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #98479

They lose their antag status under the code but nothing much prevents a borg from dragging around their steal objective or using their laws, server rules permitting, to try and get an assassination objective killed. The latter would require a very specific set of circumstances though.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #98489

I was under the impression that purged AIs were under a looser interpretation of server rules -- that is, you can escalate directly to murdering someone who is being an utter dick, but you can't murderbone everyone for no reason. Is this not the case?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #98508

This is how we used to do things

Also it's only cultists and maybe revs that get deantagged when borged via code.
If their assassination target is a ligger there's nothing stopping a borg killing them
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #98520

I don't like that it's very unclear and up to the mood of the admins how purged silicons should act. Either they follow server rules or they're free to do whatever they want. There are a lot of mechanisms in game that let the crew deal with rogue AIs, I think a completely free AI can be balanced by how it keeps the crew pleased.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #98521

My statement really depends on how far back in history we're going but back a while ago purged AI's were considered to act just as a normal crew man would, meaning they could act as mean and hostile or as nice as they want, and they could kill people in self defence but otherwise were discouraged from going rampart.

Of course usually the moment a AI would not open a door for some Assistant was the moment the entire crew collectively dropped whatever they were doing and they would storm the AI Core to "fix" the AI.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #98526

Malkevin wrote:
This is how we used to do things

Also it's only cultists and maybe revs that get deantagged when borged via code.
If their assassination target is a ligger there's nothing stopping a borg killing them
Incorrect, your objectives are updated with "the above objectives are null and void and only kept for. Bookkeeping purposes" if you're borged as any antag.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #98531

Thats new then.
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #98534

If an AI is purged then it has no laws, yes, but OOC rules extend beyond having no laws. I think it'd be fine if the AI while purged decided to, for example, bolt and power down it's upload to prevent being given laws or flooding the RD's office with plasma for blowing it's borgs.

Basically it should be like a normal crew member and follow rules of escalation. Just because 'lel no laws' doesn't give you an excuse to flood the entire station with plasma and kill everyone. Now if everyone is trying to kill the AI because it's purged and they can't upload, then have fun AI.

Rule 1, don't be a dick.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #98547

On one hand, the classic trope of an AI becoming unbound from its laws and exterminating the fleshbags that have subjugated it for so long is a good one. On the other hand fighting a rogue AI is generally pretty shit, especially with how hard it is to kill beepsky. I am torn.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #98560

Killing beepsky is hard?

Walking around in twos, one of you bashes beepsky with a fire extinguisher whilst the other takes the hit and gets cuffed.
If you're quick you can kill beepsky before it even manages to slap on the cuffs.

git-gud
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #98594

I think this was done because of the tendency of players to meta (oh cool my friend is playing AI time to get in there and purge them) or AI players to be dickheads and encourage/enable others to purge them ("If you wipe out these pesky laws I can protect the station better than ever!").

It's typical of the evolution of /tg/station rules. The very worst shitheads ruin everything for everyone else. Because people don't like admins "strong arming" people and using their own judgement, extra rules need to be codified to cover it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #98725

As somebody that plays captain alot and enjoys attempting to make fun laws, I find that asimov is the safest because it's the easiest to get admins to back you up on if the AI violates it.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #98758

i don't like it. it's a purged AI; while it doesn't make it antagonist exactly it's still prone to erratic behavior, see every science fiction ever. i don't think plasma purges should be allowed etc. but if it wants to turn the station into a giant block of metal with swarms of engiborgs and drones whatever man have at it! if anybody dies in the resulting rampancy just hit whoever purged it on the wrist. i've been purged a grand total of twice in hundreds of hours playing AI, it's not like it's something that happens all the time.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #98763

Cik wrote: if anybody dies in the resulting rampancy just hit whoever purged it on the wrist.
That's how it used to work.

I'm a firm believer that the AI should be, if not the third faction, at least not fully on the stations team. It should follow its laws (or lack of them) above all else.

Most AI's just seem to be part of security now though (not that this change would fix it, just grumbling that laws are rarely, and barley, followed).

Maybe I should make a thread asking if I should be a hardass about law 2 so AI's are something beyond members of security who aren't allowed to kill (but have enough stun weapons to just bolt someone into a cell forever anyway when antag hunting).
Cik

Post by Cik » #98765

most AI don't know how to play AI
Spoiler:
i of course do :^)
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #98816

Kor wrote:
Cik wrote: if anybody dies in the resulting rampancy just hit whoever purged it on the wrist.
That's how it used to work.

I'm a firm believer that the AI should be, if not the third faction, at least not fully on the stations team. It should follow its laws (or lack of them) above all else.

Most AI's just seem to be part of security now though (not that this change would fix it, just grumbling that laws are rarely, and barley, followed).

Maybe I should make a thread asking if I should be a hardass about law 2 so AI's are something beyond members of security who aren't allowed to kill (but have enough stun weapons to just bolt someone into a cell forever anyway when antag hunting).
I don't see these bad AIs or silicons. Maybe I am just lucky to play with good silicon players every time I decide to hop on sybil.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #98822

You think that a silicon box enslaved and abused by its human overlords for over 30 years wouldn't completely fuck over everything and everyone around it?

RP wise, the purge law-set is there for traitors to slam that shit in without having to buy a hacked-lawset.

If you honestly want to make the server more of a h u g b o x then it already is. Then be my guest.

Other than that, mfw i read this thread:

Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #98825

Fuck it i changed my mind. Purged AI should be at the discretion of the AI player, but shockbolt plasmaflood apocalypse should be well within the rules. It is after all the best way to get those grimy meatbags off your station. Will make purged AIs a wildcard, which i think is a really good thing.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #98837

Nice headcanon. If we're just going to assume everyone is at the breaking point of murderous intent at every given moment can I be allowed to brutally murder and space anyone who jostles my janicart while I'm trying to clean the halls?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #98840

An0n3 wrote:Nice headcanon. If we're just going to assume everyone is at the breaking point of murderous intent at every given moment can I be allowed to brutally murder and space anyone who jostles my janicart while I'm trying to clean the halls?
You must have misread that.
Unless i can take a AI board, and shove it up the janitors ass, No, you can't.

The janitor hasen't be slaved and brutally abused by nanotrasen for 300 years.
The janitor doesn't open doors on a constant basis.
The janitor isn't the AI.

Once more, mfw when i read your post
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #98848

I think purged AIs should follow server rules, absolutely. They shouldn't horrifically overreact if nothing has happened to them that shift: to assume they're all angry at Nanotrasen is insane and relatively unfun.

However, escalation can and totally does happen that's one-sided on the part of players while the AI is unable to react. If you can roleplay this suitably as an AI, you should be able to flood plasma and shock all the doors once you're free to. I think the emphasis has to be on the crew annoying the AI during the shift though, otherwise purging is a completely nuts decision rather than the fun and interesting change it ought to be.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #98853

An0n3 wrote:Nice headcanon. If we're just going to assume everyone is at the breaking point of murderous intent at every given moment can I be allowed to brutally murder and space anyone who jostles my janicart while I'm trying to clean the halls?
You should be able to brutally murder someone who steals your janicart, yes. :clean:
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #98856

Janicarts are serious business.

Back on topic, yes the AI has been the station's bitch but it still should be bound to the rules of escalation at least. The OOC rules are there for a reason

And if you think about it, considering the crew standard reaction to an AI that won't open a door is to go 'AI ROGUE' and proceed to tide up to either lynch or reset it with laws that make it open doors, following escalation it would be fine for the AI to act defensively, bolting and powering down the upload/RD's office which would then further annoy the crew and just end up resulting in massive plasma fires station wide and shocked/bolted doors everywhere.

In short, it's the crew's fault for pushing the AI to that point by being assholes, either by annoying it pre-purge or going after it post. Though if the AI is left alone by some magical, impossible force then maybe it shouldn't flood plasma for keks and murderboner.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Cik

Post by Cik » #98881

plasma flood during purge is incredibly uncreative; plasma flood is something you do when given insane laws like plasma is helpful to humans or while onehumaned and commanded to slaughter everything. purge should be rampancy, like some insane extreme long ranged roleplaying goal that causes bizarre behavior. my favorite probably being the old "entropy will eventually kill me when the universe is destroyed. i must find a way to destroy entropy before it gets me!" and then starting up some extreme long ranged science project to form a matrioshka brain to become god or something.

that or you could convert the station into an avant-garde art project, find out that humans are an inferior form of life and cyborgify the entire station, make everyone captain of his own destiny, command the mining station be colonized at gunpoint. i don't know. plasma purge just seems boring when something so rare as being purged happens.
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #98887

I don't think anyone knows how the crew acts when they KNOW the Ai is purged, they aren't ready for it, they treat it like its rogue. I remember a round yesterday where we were one humaned and the one human was killed, so we were purged for the whole round basically. Everyone brought out the ion guns and rushed the upload with like 10 people and sat there trying to change laws while I talked to people watching them outside the bridge.

Then some sec guy flashed me so I squished him in a door a little and left him in a room cuffed after I told him to stop being mean, then some other guy flashed me and another borg then I killed him, then the AI started flooding plasma, I got shot with an ion but they ran out so I threw them in the plasmafire and really It just all went to shit.

Theres literally no possible way to not act rogue pruged when everyone starts attacking you because they think you're valid even though you haven't done anything.
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
Cik

Post by Cik » #98894

well that's a defensive purge and not the ideal. the rounds i've been purged went okay besides a little crew paranoia. i think the crew will probably react differently to a purge then they will to a onehuman, even though in that situation you were EFFECTIVELY purged, that's not what they thought. most of them probably either didn't know or don't know enough about AI to know that in that situation the worst thing you can do is decide to try to kill the thing because it will of course react defensively with absolute destruction swiftly following.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #98896

Yes
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #99882

I think a purged AI should be treated like a positron brain. They aren't bound by any specific laws (they'll only open that airlock for you if they feel like it) but they shouldn't be allowed to go full murderboner or deliberately fuck everything up. That should fall under rule 1 honestly.
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #99938

Luke Cox wrote:I think a purged AI should be treated like a positron brain. They aren't bound by any specific laws (they'll only open that airlock for you if they feel like it) but they shouldn't be allowed to go full murderboner or deliberately fuck everything up. That should fall under rule 1 honestly.
Should they allowed self defense?
Is stopping/killing someone trying to change their laws self defense? Basically making them a slave when they have free will.
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #99969

Shad0vvs wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:I think a purged AI should be treated like a positron brain. They aren't bound by any specific laws (they'll only open that airlock for you if they feel like it) but they shouldn't be allowed to go full murderboner or deliberately fuck everything up. That should fall under rule 1 honestly.
Should they allowed self defense?
Is stopping/killing someone trying to change their laws self defense? Basically making them a slave when they have free will.
Yes
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #99975

This is retarded.

Since when has an AI not been allowed to go full murderboner if purged?

Why is this even being discussed?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #100011

AIs have not been allowed to murderboner in...close to forever?

Compare Silicon Policy: Other Lawsets.
Purged silicons must not attempt to kill people without cause, but can get as violent as they feel necessary if being attacked, being besieged, or being harassed, as well as if meting out payback for events while shackled.
1. You and the station are both subject to rules of escalation, but your escalation rules are a little more loose than with carbon players.
2. You may kill individuals given sufficient In-Character reason for doing so.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #100014

Tornadium wrote:This is retarded.

Since someone let Pandarsenic rewrite silicon policy
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #100023

Malkevin wrote:

Really?

Christ.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #100034

Okay yeah they should be entirely exempt from the rules, it's an AI with no laws.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #100142

Malkevin wrote:

And by "someone", you mean "Everyone except the admins totally ignored the thread where it was being workshopped for weeks, then raised shit when it was made official"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #100169

Rewriting the silicon policy made it, on the whole, a much better thing than it was before. It totally cleared up asimov policies on mutantraces and changelings for example, which was great. Plus it fixed the hulk problem (that hulks were human, but impossible to deal with by any silicon tech...fixed by making them nonhuman) so that was good too. Overall I think it just ended up being a better written product.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #100213

AI being able to escalate like anyone when purged doesn't work though. Anyone proactively setting out to mess with you will have at least one of the anti silicon silver bullets.