What are the rules on player controlled slimes/aliens?

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

What are the rules on player controlled slimes/aliens?

Post by onleavedontatme » #103361

Someone adminhelped today saying they'd been killed 4noraisans as a grey slime. I realized I was not up to date on whatever the rule for that is.

What are the rules on player controlled xenobio creations? What should they be?

Being murdered for literally no reason sucks, but treating monsters roaming the hall as normal players seems odd as well.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: What are the rules on player controlled slimes/aliens?

Post by Ikarrus » #103365

Rules already sort of have a stipulation for this
Nonhuman player-controlled mobs (slimes, monkeys, slimepeople, lizardpeople, hulks, etc.) are subject to server rules but are not considered human.
That said, I think it's pretty shit to slime yourself intentionally just so you could murderbone people.

If you were unwillingly transformed by a wizard or whatever then I say go for it --act like a slime.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #103368

Honestly I never knew any kind of rule for this either, just kinda considered it a grey area, If I didn't have a good reason to murder them, I didn't, and I dunno what's up with them murdering me, as some of them seem fine with latching onto peoples. so I just keep my distance.

I think xenobio is for lameasses, as I've never seen a single beneficial thing from it actually benefit anyone who wasn't the xenobiologist themselves.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #103373

I think its fair to assume antag status if slimed or aliened against your will, I do not think its fair to do it if you are slimed willingly.
/vg/station Head Admin
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #103382

Another connected point, monkeys, I hold geneticists who allow monkey gangs to rampage by providing the syringes fully responsible for their actions, and have no intention to stop, whether they monkeyed willing people or not, they are responsible for those players running around being dicks, which eight times out of ten they are. Not to say I'd be after anyone at all if the monkeys behaved. Monkeying a willing guy isn't a crime in and of itself. but a gang of monkeys becomes a crisis quickly enough.

The same would in my mind apply to xeno bios, but I haven't had the problem yet, as I'm not intimately familiar with the system, I would assume this is because it's not as easy.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #103384

Xenobio mobs have to follow the orders of the person who gave them sentience, although many tell their creations to go free. Don't do something your creator didn't tell you to do, don't cause any trouble for your creator either, as the flavour text says you're incredibly indebted/grateful to the guy.

Polymorphed mobs are on a two-way valid street as far as I've been answering in ahelps. You can do whatever you want but you'll most likely get lynched if you be shit.

Slimes made from people sliming themselves should be subject to server rules, like mentioned, we don't want to give people a way in game to get antag licenses.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #103392

Giving slimes/monkeys pseudo-antag status means there will be people attempting to do so every round just to get their valids, rather than avoid being turned into a monster because it means you're likely to get valided into the ground (with good reason too, slimes will fuck you up).
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #103428

For polymorphed players it makes sense for them to be valid and to act like an antag otherwise the staff basically gave them superpowers at near no detriment to the crew as a hole.

Unless you successfully apply their specific water/cold weakness which a player can consciously avoid slimes are extremely durable regenerating death machines and aliens well every knows their kinks. It would be like the wizard summoning chest tribbles and bizzarro aquaman to wreck his own shit exclusively.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #103453

The one and only time I've felt something should be done about it was during a polymorph wiz round where (as detective) a guy disarmed me during the dogpile on wizard fray, stole my gun, and instead decided to empty my gun into a monkey-person that was actively helping us, allowing the wizard to get away. Non-human mobs should be like 99% valid and a two way street, as I'd say 90% of players will play along with a friendly slime anyway. Even in the above extreme situation, I think at worst it only warrants a warning and note unless they continually go out of their way in situations where it makes absolute no sense to do so. There should also be an understanding that if you do that kind of shit (instigate and kill sentient pets/morphed crew members), crew members that liked said pet should be able to wreck your shit without being boinked. I feel like it should all be left to IC justice- violent and obnoxious slimes tend to get killed while validhunting crew members that target friendly slimes and sentient pets should be valid themselves. It's not ALWAYS going to be fair, but that's SS13 and I think it goes along with the new trend to less rules.
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #103514

re: sentient slimes a shit

can we just make it so that if they're sentient via a potion (ie: not wizarding) they don't have the option to feed/split?
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #103530

Too crippling remember antags could use the potion on themselves too. They slowly die if they can't feed like regular slimes.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #103533

Jeb wrote:re: sentient slimes a shit

can we just make it so that if they're sentient via a potion (ie: not wizarding) they don't have the option to feed/split?
We already have it, using the docility potion (normal pink slime) removes eating/splitting/the nutrition mechanic.

No one uses it.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #103537

Incoming wrote:

We already have it, using the docility potion (normal pink slime) removes eating/splitting/the nutrition mechanic.

No one uses it.
Merge them then?
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #103563

If this was the round I'm thinking of, there were reports of slimes attacking people on the radio so I was under the impression EVERY slime was hostile, not to mention there were loads of baby slimes because player slimes were splitting.

If you're a slime and don't want to get smacked, stick to science, even better, stick to xenobio.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #103564

Slimes are so robust. Player slimes are even scarier.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #103572

If you get turned into a slime by someone or something else feel free to murderbone.

Basically you can always Kill people as a slime unless you're a pet or you slimed yourself. We used to have an issue with people sliming themselves just to kill everyone and it was lame.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #103573

Stickymayhem wrote:If you get turned into a slime by someone or something else feel free to murderbone.

Basically you can always Kill people as a slime unless you're a pet or you slimed yourself. We used to have an issue with people sliming themselves just to kill everyone and it was lame.
My question is the opposite.

What are you allowed to do as a human to a player controlled slime if you see it in the hall?

I don't want to hold hands too much and say you have to treat them like crew but shit like the detective killing the monkey instead of the wizard just because he could is silly.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #103575

If it isn't human, destroy it
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #103604

Jeb wrote:
Incoming wrote:

No one uses it.
Merge them then?
What if I wanted a few bro player slimes to kick ass with and an army of harmless pet slimes then?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #103669

Kor wrote:My question is the opposite.

What are you allowed to do as a human to a player controlled slime if you see it in the hall?

I don't want to hold hands too much and say you have to treat them like crew but shit like the detective killing the monkey instead of the wizard just because he could is silly.
If they've got the :3 face on trust them with your life, otherwise kill.

Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #103671

Going out of your way to kill it because its player controlled is where I would draw the line. Other than that, it shouldn't be any different than any other skine you would encounter (they're fucking dangerous)
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #103764

Disagree.

Murder any mob you want if it's milling around in the hallways or whatever.

Going to xenobiology/gathering of friendly mobs and beating them to death would probably not be ok.

If mobs can kill people whenever they people should be able to kill mobs whenever.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #103887

Stickymayhem wrote:If mobs can kill people whenever they people should be able to kill mobs whenever.
On the countary, if people can kill people whenever, mobs should be able to kill people whenever. Which means that a xenobiologist that would slime themselves is an instant antag.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #103893

As always there are limits because the few fuck things up.

Don't be needlessly pedantic.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #103936

Stickymayhem wrote:Disagree.

Murder any mob you want if it's milling around in the hallways or whatever.

Going to xenobiology/gathering of friendly mobs and beating them to death would probably not be ok.

If mobs can kill people whenever they people should be able to kill mobs whenever.
But mobs cant kill people whenever that's the point. People are saying mobs SHOULD be able to slaughter people, because people KOS mobs even if they know the wizard just polymoprhed the HOS into that very mob
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #103939

I don't know any rule like that. I've never stopped unaligned mobs killing people I've just stopped people turning themselves into unaligned mobs.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #103941

Jeb wrote:
Incoming wrote:

No one uses it.
Merge them then?
Last time I tried it, docility potions deleted the slime and replaced it with a tame slime or something. However it worked it instaghosted the player who was in the original slime and replaced them with a mob.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #103942

The best time's are when some admin lets ghosts possess in game mobs, no one expects the mega carp that helps people!

--

On topic, slimes are a bit iffy because from my experience in rounds where you have one player controlled slime breed out of control (I recall rounds where every 10 seconds I was getting a "DO YOU WANT TO PLAY AS GREY SLIME #1532423") then things get really crazy as half of the slimes start attacking people and the other half are doing their own thing.

However in situations where slimes are in low numbers they tend to be peaceful.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #103944

The point of the staff of change is to turn a bunch of people into antags, same as summon guns (used) to do.

Just making the ruling that player controlled mobs can kill other players/mobs and that people can kill player mobs/normal mobs, but doing so makes them valid to retaliation.

So if someone goes "lol player monkey - KILLOL" and it turns out the monkey dint do nuttin wrong and was just hanging about for some skittles, then the monkey's friends can kill the guy being an asshat.
Basically the old "Ian Rule"

Alternatively apply the same logic behind the hulk rule, that is that mobs aren't insta-valid:just-add-extinguisher but if they're being dicks you can freely valid them.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #104095

Steelpoint wrote:The best time's are when some admin lets ghosts possess in game mobs, no one expects the mega carp that helps people!

--

On topic, slimes are a bit iffy because from my experience in rounds where you have one player controlled slime breed out of control (I recall rounds where every 10 seconds I was getting a "DO YOU WANT TO PLAY AS GREY SLIME #1532423") then things get really crazy as half of the slimes start attacking people and the other half are doing their own thing.

However in situations where slimes are in low numbers they tend to be peaceful.
Player slimes don't split into more player slimes, someone was using sentience potions

Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #104125

How about we add some notice about being disgruntled to their notes if someone else changes them. I didn't ask for this slime of the year edition.