Shredding Security Policy

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Shredding Security Policy

Post by Stickymayhem » #105819

So one of the most interesting things we learned from the Low Rules rounds was that even with the station in total chaos, security is infinitely more fun with lower restrictions. Much lower restrictions.

I'm tempted to replace all of security policy with a simple rule about sticking together and having your partners backs, and consequently removing some anti-greytiding rules to even things out a bit. Far more effective than OOC punishment is immediate and harsh IC punishment. When you table a cop and try to take his shit then get immediately kicked to death by his three buddies it tends to be a better disincentive than finding out you're going to be banned for a day at the end of the round.

This is controversial as fuck I'm sure, and I don't think we can go as drastic as removing it entirely, but I wouldn't mind security basically being a strong group of thugs led by the HoS who can kind of choose how his department will be that day. You can do brutal crackdowns until the station revolts, or be as nicecurity as you want.

I really liked the greytide and security testing each other to kind of see how the round would be. Security would make big shows of force to show damn well that greytiding would get you a hiding and then chill out having established their authority, or tiders would poke at the brig to see how competent they were that round and punish them if they weren't.

Security was packed on every round like this and I think it would be again if this was implement.

So discuss what absolutely essential components of the policy we need to hold on to and problems that will probably come up.

This is just a discussion for now.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Shredding Security Policy

Post by Steelpoint » #105822

Sadly I was not on to participate during the low rule events so I can't speak from experience.

The only area of concern I can immediately call up is to ensure at minimum the security chain of command remains in place, effectively the HoS is the commander and the Warden has command in the brig.

Of course if some officer is getting to uppity I'm sure under a gutted sec policy the HoS could just toss him into a jail cell to cool off.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #105823

Low rules security in 95% of cases results in lower casualties in security as a result of trying to do your job properly and not get banned.

So yeah, do it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #105826

I look forward to endless hours of tornadium posting
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #105829

As an addendum to a new lower ruleset Tornadium will be pre-emptively banned from all security rules permanently.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #105830

Why would I be consistently posting, maybe to approve I guess.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #105831

Steelpoint wrote:Sadly I was not on to participate during the low rule events so I can't speak from experience.

The only area of concern I can immediately call up is to ensure at minimum the security chain of command remains in place, effectively the HoS is the commander and the Warden has command in the brig.

Of course if some officer is getting to uppity I'm sure under a gutted sec policy the HoS could just toss him into a jail cell to cool off.
This would be the main thing I'd retain yeah. Security should be a group following the HoS. The HoS deals with the most shit but gets to decide the flavour of the department for the round,
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #105832

Tornadium wrote:Why would I be consistently posting, maybe to approve I guess.
Dunno I just think it would be funny if Security Policy was just:

1. Look out for other security personnel
2. Obey the chain of command within the brig
3. Tornadium isn't allowed to play security.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #105838

Stickymayhem wrote:

But then you'd miss all the fun of me being in IRC?
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #105843

Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #105872

+1. That's basically how it was a year and a half ago. I dislike OOC punishment for a variety of reasons that most other people probably do too, so anything that lets security handle things in a straightforward, IC sense without having 'ADMINS, HELP! THE HoS IS EXECUTING ME WITHOUT CAPTAIN PERMISSION DESPITE THE FACT THAT I TRIED TO KILL HIM!' is a godsend.

Make it a poll, if you will.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #105874

I like the idea of Security being able to work properly, but...
Stickymayhem wrote: consequently removing some anti-greytiding rules to even things out a bit
This part worries me a little. Greytide rules are too lax as it is; you can easily walk up to someone and stun-cuff-strip them because you want their stuff, without being punished. Leaving the punishing to Security works fine sometimes, but not always.

How about... if the cops are after you and you're a non-antag, you can't fight back? No disarming the officer trying to arrest you, no slipping them on water-filled pest sprays, just running away peacefully.
Last edited by TheNightingale on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #105877

Release the redtide.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #105878

Anything to be able to tell greytiders to suck it up and deal with it rather than having to bwoink sec about petty shit.

Please keep the chain of command going for executions though, at least up to the HoS so we don't have sec just throwing the clown out an airlock for trespassing.
Stickymayhem wrote: consequently removing some anti-greytiding rules to even things out a bit
Fuck this though.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #105879

Why obey the chain of command in the brig only?

2: Obey the chain of command, period (unless a mutiny to overthrow an incompetent superior is agreed upon by the majority of fellow Security staff.)

Not sure if we should write it down that the Warden has no authority on officers outside the brig, but is in line for acting HoS.

Also, if the cops are after you because you started shit as non-antag. Be specific, ffs.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #105880

TheNightingale wrote:How about... if the cops are after you, you can't fight back? No disarming the officer trying to arrest you, no slipping them on water-filled pest sprays, just running away peacefully.
No. Already you CAN fight back if security is 'after you', via non-injuring means (cuffing, disarming, slipping). Especially in the mid-lategame where 'security' can easily be lings/traitors/not actually security.

That would be just further restriction, which is the opposite direction as we want to go.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #105891

Stickymayhem wrote:When you table a cop and try to take his shit then get immediately kicked to death by his three buddies it tends to be a better disincentive than finding out you're going to be banned for a day at the end of the round.
How certain are you about this part? From here, it looks like there are a lot of players who fully plan on connecting to the server, fucking with people until they get brigged, then going braindead while they occupy themselves with other things until next round.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #105905

Stickymayhem wrote:

Could we also double ban deathhoof? I know he's perma'd but let's just cover our bases.

But seriously, I late joined AND COULDN'T JOIN SECURITY!!!
This was an amazing enough event in and of itself to justify further investigation.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #105921

the crimson tide
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #105939

I played as a HoS one of these rounds and had security actually spread out on the station in pairs, was a good round,. Dealt with alot of shitters trying to attack me on the escape shuttle, to take my laser, felt good to beable to kick their shit in.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #105952

Yes. Security policy making them unable to do anything without getting banned has been shit for ages, and allowing more lenience in what they're able to do is what I think we've needed for ages. Fund it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #105955

I'd be happy to give security more leeway in dealing with lawbreakers, but I wouldn't go so far as to toss out every extra rule they have.

An assistant stealing your ID or the clown slipping people and not getting banned is way different than the HoS running around robbing people at random.

The IC response to minor shit is "call security then" but that doesn't really work if security is the one griefing.

That and trying the other way of resolving things IC (violence) will just mean a permabrigging. They should still be held to a slightly higher standard as far as random unprovoked grief goes.

But yeah, sure, space all the greytiders you want.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #105964

This is a good policy, I think. Just don't allow powergaming.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #105967

removing some anti-greytiding rules to even things out a bit.
Eh, I'm a little iffy on this part.

Stirring up a mob and trying to break into the brig because security kicked your teeth in after you tried to grab a suspect they were arresting for no reason other than"whoo anarchy! Fuck the police!" should definitely be considered a firm no. Trying to lynch or harass the entire security force just because a single officer is being shit shouldn't be acceptable either. On the other hand, if security is going full blown shitcurity with multiple officers robbing suspects and keeping their gear with no intervention from the warden or HoS, publicly executing handfuls of crew members, beating people in the halls for petty shit and killing borgs for trying to prevent them from beating people in the halls, etc. then yeah, viva la revolucion.

Basically grey tiding should be a last resort when dealing with corrupt security teams. It should be allowed when a huge portion of security is being absolute shit and neither the HoS or captain can not or will not make the team get their shit straight.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #105979

One thing I found very interesting when security restrictions were lower (not event long ago) was basically having fake moral conflicts when how nice or mean I was being misaligned with my commanders.

Not sure about warden but hos being able to have you executed was probably more integral to his presence in the round than his armor. Captains get distracted the hos is right there waiting to dole out death or mercy all the time they were very imposing.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #105982

Stickymayhem wrote:So one of the most interesting things we learned from the Low Rules rounds was that even with the station in total chaos, security is infinitely more fun with lower restrictions. Much lower restrictions..
You mean the thing I've been yelling for years only to be called a crazy old man with crazy ideas actually turned out to be true? You mean... I was right?
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #105983

I don't think anyone called you crazy, it's just that we couldn't change it even if we wanted to at the time.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #106002

I'd be wary of not allowing some greytiding against security.

One of the main balance points of security is that they are restricted by rules but have superior equipment, organization and numbers. Remove the rules and they become unstoppable in most gamemodes.

Also you need to be sure people won't be scared to rage against the machine if security decide to be cunts that round.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #106007

Does this mean antag sec too? It should.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #106008

Removing rules against greytide and having antag sec probably won't work out well.

It'll just end up with a bunch of nerds crying that sec is killing them when they're just getting arrested and riling up the greytide, or antag sec gets a free pass at dragging people off to their murder cave because of all the boys crying wolf.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #106011

Do officers still need execution permission?

Also, please don't just remove all antigreytide policy, people are really really good at it, and it's incredibly fun for the tide, so it's going to happen again and again under the lightest of excuses, And sec antag has been a great boon, now that it's fixed to not eliminate officers from the pool entirely and you can still roll it in another job.
Last edited by Falamazeer on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #106012

These are my personal guidelines for playing HoS
  • If somebody commits a minor to moderate crime and there is no evidence that they're an antag, they are brigged accordingly
  • If somebody is caught with suspicious items (cable restraints, stun prods, potentially dangerous items they shouldn't have), they get a lethal chem implant
  • People who get consistently brigged throughout the round go in perma
  • Murderers and antagonists immediately go into perma, and I seek authorization from the captain to execute
  • Anybody who attacks security officers without provocation goes straight to perma
  • Greytiders are tortured mercilessly
  • AI laws permitting, all executions are public. Much more fun that way

A lot of the rules restricting security seem unnecessary. So long as you aren't killing or putting innocent people in perma, you're good.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #106014

Both security and the greytiders were really shitty in the low rules round I played, so this seems like a pretty dumb idea.

It was absolute chaos and nobody had time to treat other people fairly, so everyone was fucking everyone else over. This is fun occasionally, but it gets wearisome after awhile.
Scones

Post by Scones » #106018

>luke cox still does not know how chem implants are unreliable
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #106021

Scones wrote:>luke cox still does not know how chem implants are unreliable
I know, you can remove them surgically or counteract the effects of the chloral. I've been considering switching to another toxin and telling them it's still chloral. Sometimes, if they seem especially sketchy, I'll pop in a tracking implant too.
Scones

Post by Scones » #106025

Luke Cox wrote:
I know, you can remove them surgically or counteract the effects of the chloral. I've been considering switching to another toxin and telling them it's still chloral. Sometimes, if they seem especially sketchy, I'll pop in a tracking implant too.
However, if the subject suffers from malnutrition,
the implant may become unstable and either pre-maturely inject the subject or simply break
For some reason you couldn't be arsed to read the implant description but that's why they are unreliable.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #106028

Scones wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:
However, if the subject suffers from malnutrition,
the implant may become unstable and either pre-maturely inject the subject or simply break
For some reason you couldn't be arsed to read the implant description but that's why they are unreliable.
True, I forgot about that. Still, what else am I supposed to do? It's not perfect but it's better than nothing.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #106053

I've brought up that description thing before, and elite codermen have informed me that the description is purely fluff, and that chem implants can't randomly go off/fail.
I've never bothered to checkthe code however.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #106075

We should do this just so all the people that are advocating it will get a taste of how awful no rules sec was.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #106078

You must be joking Callan.

This server has always had the noose on security since I started at least, which is as close to always as it gets.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #106080

We only added anti-greytide rules to offset the restrictions security got. As in, security was held to a much higher standard, but players were expected to not give them shit on top of that.

If we're leveling the playing field here in terms of restrictions neither party needs as much admin protection. It's griff or be griffed.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #106149

Ikarrus wrote:We only added anti-greytide rules to offset the restrictions security got. As in, security was held to a much higher standard, but players were expected to not give them shit on top of that.

If we're leveling the playing field here in terms of restrictions neither party needs as much admin protection. It's griff or be griffed.
So, when did those anti-greytide rules ever get enforced?
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #106172

I can think of a few incidents this past week where people have ahelped being perma'd or gulag'd for fucking with sec and the admin response has been some variant of 'deal with it'.

You can stop playing the victim now.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #106174

I don't think sec shoudl just harmbaton every greytider to death when they first encounter them.

I mainly think sec should be able to enforce a zero tolerance policy against people attacking them in a cell/gulag.

I also think there should be zero tolerance for repeated assault against officer (and repeated is twice).
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #106177

imblyings wrote:I can think of a few incidents this past week where people have ahelped being perma'd or gulag'd for fucking with sec and the admin response has been some variant of 'deal with it'.

You can stop playing the victim now.
I'll admit the last few weeks have been better.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #106214

I don't really think this has to be done in conjunction with removal of the anti-grey tiding rules.

Do what goon does and have the assistant ruling of "don't be a shitler" be used.
Void Slayer
Byond Username: Void Slayer

Post by Void Slayer » #106487

This might be a good area to start testing out a low rule system, since it involves some of the most difficult areas of interaction. Here or with the AI.

I know my normal manner of playing sec is to ensure everyone arrested get's a fair hearing and that any serious punishment is based on real evidence.

The obey chain of command thing should be something like, obey reasonable orders.

HoS orders you to jump into a raging fire? Kill and space someone for scribbling on the floors? Release a murder-boning changeling? Fuck no.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #106785

It takes more than one interaction to determine someone as a greytider. They are typified by their single minded determination in causing trouble, a normal man will wait out a short sentence a tider will try and destroy the cell as much as they can to screw with you.

I say more than one interaction but it is usually one arrest, the secondary interactions can be observed once they are cuffed and are pretty rote.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #107073

I want see this. I still have misgivings on the anti-greytide part, but my views on that have already been voiced.

However, I can see this allowing you guys to figure out the best regulations. Maybe ease back in the extra rules that make sense IF they are needed after all.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #107080

Incomptinence wrote:It takes more than one interaction to determine someone as a greytider. They are typified by their single minded determination in causing trouble, a normal man will wait out a short sentence a tider will try and destroy the cell as much as they can to screw with you.

I say more than one interaction but it is usually one arrest, the secondary interactions can be observed once they are cuffed and are pretty rote.
I disagree with that bit about fucking around in the cell, I enjoy jittering around, frothing at the mouth and trying to smash lights ineffectively with a jumpsuit to screw with officers, It's harmless dicking around, I typically play security, and I know where the line is drawn, and if you wanna try to draw it at fucking about then you're probably a bit too thin skinned anyways. Smashing your way out and leaving a big hole on the other hand, over a two minute sentence, you got a good point.

Knocking constantly to badger people is also kinda funny, just don't use the justified sec reaction to justify being a further douchebag unless it's gonna be along the same vein of heckling, littering, and cursing.