Looking at the AI's core during roundstart

Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Looking at the AI's core during roundstart

Post by Reimoo » #108761

I just came from a malf round where I was killed in less than 10 minutes because someone was looking at my core cams very early in the round. During the subsequent deadchat tears I was told that looking at the core cams at roundstart is pretty ordinary behavior and the rule is to not hack your core APC first thing in the round for this reason. I think it's silly I have to avoid hacking the most seculded APC in the station for fear of someone looking at my core "for no reason"

Now the question here is, is it metagaming to look at the AI's core through the cams early in the round even if you genuinely do have really no reason for doing so? (doing it out of boredom, etc.)
Last edited by Reimoo on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Looking at the AI's core during roundstart

Post by Saegrimr » #108763

Solution: Don't hack your core APC because the RD will check it if he's not stupid.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #108766

If you can do it why shouldn't you? The problem is someone having access to those cameras.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #108768

Don't hack your core APCs

Science Officer/RD have a lot of free time and you damn well better believe they will have their faces glued to those cameras
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #108770

Looking at them roundstart does seem really power gamey if you ask me. Most definitely would be a round ruiner for the malf AI.

A better way to handle it is 'hey where are the borgs I have not seen them at all,' then looking at the borg camera to see an engie it autism forting on the sat next to a blue APC. I did this once as Captain, then DC'd after only getting one line out to sec and came back in dead.

Doing it right at the start ruins the round, catches the AI way early and is valid hunting to the max.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #108776

How is it power gamey? It's one in a short list of Science network cameras. It's there to be used.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #108779

Scott wrote:How is it power gamey? It's one in a short list of Science network cameras. It's there to be used.
Just looking at it isn't power gamey. Looking at it at round start, purely in case the AI is Malf and with nothing else to indicate whether it's Malf, is, but it's also something that won't always catch a Malf AI, so it's not really power gamey on the same level as, say, preparing for Nuke Ops because there's 5 less people on the manifest than there were players ready.
Scones

Post by Scones » #108780

Aliannera wrote:Looking at them roundstart does seem really power gamey if you ask me. Most definitely would be a round ruiner for the malf AI.

A better way to handle it is 'hey where are the borgs I have not seen them at all,' then looking at the borg camera to see an engie it autism forting on the sat next to a blue APC. I did this once as Captain, then DC'd after only getting one line out to sec and came back in dead.

Doing it right at the start ruins the round, catches the AI way early and is valid hunting to the max.
You are Security Officer Redshirt McScienceguard. You are sitting in your post which has two devices - A records console and a camera console. R&D, toxins, robotics and xenobiology do not require your supervision and you don't have access.

So you sit in your security office.

Why would you NOT watch the AI cameras? It's surveying a risky serious business piece of equipment, there is pefect IC reasoning to do so.

Seriously just don't hack your core APCs
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #108784

Wouldn't it be neat for malfs to be able to loop a normal looking round start camera image onto those consoles?
It'd be harder to check, unless you had a good reason to think something should be in the image that isn't.

that'd solve that for some of the secluded stuff. You'd look and everything would seem fine.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #108798

Give cameras AI control. They can already control the light, why not the power?
Mime: Depresso
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #108808

Because to me it's the same as performing random searches in code blue. If the AI has done nothing to indicate that it's malf yet, why would you need to look at it's cameras so early other than to go 'GOTTEM AI IS MALF RUSH IT'? It's no different than batoning an assistant doing nothing in the halls worthy of being baton'd, just walking around and such, and searching to find and emag and going 'GOTTEM OFF TO PERMA/HERE COMES THE VALID BATON.'

How does that make the round fun in anyway for crew or the AI?

A camera loop idea does not sound like a bad one, it would make an interesting power.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Scones

Post by Scones » #108809

Aliannera wrote:Because to me it's the same as performing random searches in code blue.
How is it in any way comparable to actually overstepping the lines of the alert code set?

Also I literally just gave you IC reasoning to look at the cameras, if that's not good enough I don't know what to tell you
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #108813

People don't look at the AI core just in case the AI is malf, they do it partly out of boredom (may as well flip through the cameras if you got 'em), and partly because the AI is really, really important, and you want to make damn sure no one is fucking with it.

Honestly there are much much much better APC' s to hack at roundstart than your core, or you could alternatively wait a little bit and let people settle in before starting to make moves, either way works
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #108834

It's fine that they're looking at the core cameras, you can always just not hack the APC or have a borg disable that particular cam. Most malf AIs don't hack the core APC immediately for this exact reason: it is secluded, but it's also a camera that's checked. It's very visible: you're not forced to have this APC hacked so it's fine if people check it.

The alternative is some weird kind of "I am not allowed to check the cameras in case it would be useful" scenario which is stupid given how we work on knowledge of all other antags.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #108839

When I would Captain on the regular and see this I'd turn a blind eye.
Wish more players would, there's nothing fun about charging an unprepared enemy.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #108841

Hacking your core APC is akin to a traitor buying their equipment in a public hallway, your just begging for someone to glance at you and catch you before your ready.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #108849

It seems kind of unintuitive that the AI hacking its own APC, in a core that's meant to be extremely secure for it, is as bad as a traitor buying his powersink in the middle of the hallway in front of the captain.
Heck, it's probably more secure to hack an apc that's actually in the main halls, because you could claim it got emagged, and that's honestly really weird.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #108850

I love the camera loop idea. No clue how practical it would be to do, but it makes total sense and would be a cool way for an AI to handle this issue...

,,,that wouldn't require looking at my stopwatch to see if I should ban the Warden for checking a select few cameras yet, or if it's deemed acceptable.

Honestly, AIs are under a bit less scrutiny than in past times. Due to the fact that subversion happens less frequently, rules and policy changed, people who shit on the AI for no reason had to often back off... yeah, people are still constantly paranoid, but AIs feel like they have it better now and get a baseline of trust from most people, most of the time.
RIP
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #108859

I can see how a camera loop for the sat would be worth some malf points if you're planning on fortifying it, but you should be distracting the crew with other things probably.
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #108866

Camera loop was an idea that was looked at in the past but deemed impossible to implement
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #108867

If the AI is dumb enough to hack the #1 area to look at through a camera if the borgs are acting even vaguely strangely, and someone just so happens to look at that camera, then they really deserve the loss.

You may as well be complaining that no one is handing you your victory. Just hack the goddamn vault, R&D server, arrivals maint, solars, etc. instead.

Edit:

Also, the warden and detective both have a half-dedicated job to look through cameras for suspicious activity in conjunct. A random search would be going to card the AI 'just because' and not examining a room on the station housing expensive, delicate equipment especially after a code blue alert that indicates that hey, the AI may actually be malfunctioning, so it's in NT's best interest for sec to keep tabs on it in a dual sense.
Last edited by Amelius on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #108868

Well, why? I'm not saying an actual loop of some kind, but it's not like you can free eye the damn things, so why wouldn't it be able to pull up a chosen still image of the proper location instead of a live feed?

I'm no coder though, but it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to have the list check var "if looped then NormalAIcore.jpeg" or whatever
And have it just bring up a picture of what the core is supposed to look like if nothing were done since round-start.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #108873

I frequently look at camera's as warden/security officer, including borg camera's.

Often not even because the borgs are suspicious but because they move around the station and let me see lots of things while staying in the office. But I often enough see borgs getting emagged/ killing people/ walling of the AI core next to the deep blue shiny apc. I also often just loop through the camera's and I frequently pass through important station equipment like telecomms/ smess room/ gravity generator. And yes sometimes they are hacked.

I fail to see how looking through camera's at roundstart is powergaming. It's just part of the job to look through camera's as Warden since you usually stay in your office.

But my personal opinion is that the Malf blue apc's are a shit gameplay element anyway. In my opinion it adds nothing to the gamemode.

The AI trying to get into a position as beneficial as possible before starting a fixed timer would be way more interesting.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #108889

APC hacking is a really stupid mechanic. One glance at a blue APC by a non idiot and the shit is about to hit the fan. The supposed red herring of traitors hacking APC hardly ever happens so they will know consistently.

You have what vacant office, vault, AI sat, telecoms, gateway and maybe perma early on as places you maybe won't be instantly detected at random by dudes walking by? All those are on camera anyway so a random guy peeking about might see a shade of blue he doesn't like and go code red? It is like if summoning any traitor item turned your skin oompaloompa orange the mechanic is a huge tell from the get go and only the lucky get by with this crap going on.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #108892

APCs turning blue when hacked is a way for an AI to gamble with a shortening of the delta timer in exchange for greater risk of detection by the crew. The issue is that there's really not much else a malf AI needs to do to distinguish it from a normal AI until the delta timer begins. If the mechanic of hacking APCs to reduce delta timer is kept but hacked APCs turning blue is not, then every malf round starts with an hour of Asimov behavior while the AI hacks every APC on its cameras before starting traitorous shit and keeping a finger poised to activate delta as soon as the call of "AI ROGUE!" goes up over the radio.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #108896

Arete wrote:APCs turning blue when hacked is a way for an AI to gamble with a shortening of the delta timer in exchange for greater risk of detection by the crew. The issue is that there's really not much else a malf AI needs to do to distinguish it from a normal AI until the delta timer begins. If the mechanic of hacking APCs to reduce delta timer is kept but hacked APCs turning blue is not, then every malf round starts with an hour of Asimov behavior while the AI hacks every APC on its cameras before starting traitorous shit and keeping a finger poised to activate delta as soon as the call of "AI ROGUE!" goes up over the radio.
Thats why the hacking should be removed all together, malf AI should prepare itself as it sees fit and then activate a self destruct with a fixed time (perhaps with an ultimatum on the time for the self destruct to activate on its own).

abillities should be rebalanced around that.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #108984

Malkevin wrote:Camera loop was an idea that was looked at in the past but deemed impossible to implement
AI can take photo's, why not just make it a stationary photo of the core?

Fuck it add taping photo's over cameras.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #108986

CPTANT wrote:
Arete wrote:APCs turning blue when hacked is a way for an AI to gamble with a shortening of the delta timer in exchange for greater risk of detection by the crew. The issue is that there's really not much else a malf AI needs to do to distinguish it from a normal AI until the delta timer begins. If the mechanic of hacking APCs to reduce delta timer is kept but hacked APCs turning blue is not, then every malf round starts with an hour of Asimov behavior while the AI hacks every APC on its cameras before starting traitorous shit and keeping a finger poised to activate delta as soon as the call of "AI ROGUE!" goes up over the radio.
Thats why the hacking should be removed all together, malf AI should prepare itself as it sees fit and then activate a self destruct with a fixed time (perhaps with an ultimatum on the time for the self destruct to activate on its own).

abillities should be rebalanced around that.
You would take all of the tension and challenge out of it if you did that, currently its a game of not being caught while slowly taking over the station, if the crew finds out they have the chance to pretend they don't know and try to outplay you that way, much better than build an autismfort and then siege it out every time.

Spoiler:

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
>trucking

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #109001

callanrockslol wrote:
Malkevin wrote:Camera loop was an idea that was looked at in the past but deemed impossible to implement

Now this is an idea I can get behind, as long as the sprite changes somewhat for people walking by it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #109017

People need to remember that this isn't about

"Bored science depsec officer fifteen minutes in, nothing happening, lets look around the AIsat"
or
"Warden checking the solar cameras, oh look a bloo wun"

This is about the meta of "Check the AI core camera every round as soon as the time it would take to hack is up" as the RD/scisec
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #109022

"You can't look in this camera until x minutes" is a very silly policy to have, and just moves the goalposts from "looked at camera at round start, meta gaming" to "looked at camera the instant it is not against rules, meta gaming".
Better to just tell ai players "don't hack apcs that are clearly visible to cameras until you don't care that they are visible"
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #109023

callanrockslol wrote:

A photo is static, camera feeds aren't.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #109027

Jacquerel wrote:"You can't look in this camera until x minutes" is a very silly policy to have, and just moves the goalposts from "looked at camera at round start, meta gaming" to "looked at camera the instant it is not against rules, meta gaming".
Better to just tell ai players "don't hack apcs that are clearly visible to cameras until you don't care that they are visible"
All APCs in the game are clearly visible to cameras, because that's how the AI sees them to hack
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #109041

Not all of them. See APCs in maintenance, including the Medbay APC.

There are two or three APCs in Cargo maintenance that have no cameras pointing at them and they are visible to the AI somehow.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #109063

Trying to enforce this is fucking ridiculous.

Solution: Stop hacking your AI Core APC five seconds into the round.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #109589

Scott wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:

A photo is static, camera feeds aren't.
That's the joke, it would be like all of those dumb robbery movies and a lot of people wouldn't think twice if they were just checking to make sure the APC was the right colour.

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #109952

Or you could make a "disable camera" function. Where the AI can hack a camera so ONLY it can see through it, everyone else its just static.
As various cameras are broken at round start engineers/RD might assume its just borked and go fix it (making it into perfect bait) plus it also means an AI can hide it self a little more.

How bout that? Possible in the code?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #109971

I think we could just put the core camera on a network exclusive to the AI.
Borgs could reinforce the AI core more stealthily this way. (though they have cameras too, which they probably shouldn't)
And when there is something going on at the AI core, you couldn't just look through the cameras to check, you'd have to go to the scene. I think this would provide more suspense and interesting gameplay.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #109973

leibniz wrote:I think we could just put the core camera on a network exclusive to the AI.
Borgs could reinforce the AI core more stealthily this way. (though they have cameras too, which they probably shouldn't)
And when there is something going on at the AI core, you couldn't just look through the cameras to check, you'd have to go to the scene. I think this would provide more suspense and interesting gameplay.
Then what of the times where the AI is calling for help because someone is breaking in, or someone calls for nuke ops?
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #109975

Saegrimr wrote:
leibniz wrote:I think we could just put the core camera on a network exclusive to the AI.
Then what of the times where the AI is calling for help because someone is breaking in, or someone calls for nuke ops?
Well, as I said, people could just go to the AI core.
>but access
CE, captain, any borg, anyone that can open the teleporter
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #109977

Leibniz. THat is honestly just a bad snowflake idea. "And here we have the latest model of Security Camera Consoles. It can check ANY camera on station to make security duties easier and more effective. Except for the AI core. We wish to give AI's privacy in the event they go rogue. So please do not disturb or harass them."
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #109983

This is a non-issue, as I said prior just don't hack your fracking core APC until your ready to go loud.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #110003

Its a non issue caused by a bad gameplay element of the mode.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #110013

firecage wrote:Leibniz. THat is honestly just a bad snowflake idea. "And here we have the latest model of Security Camera Consoles. It can check ANY camera on station to make security duties easier and more effective. Except for the AI core. We wish to give AI's privacy in the event they go rogue. So please do not disturb or harass them."
Security cameras can't see the AI core.

The only console onboard which can is the telescreen in the science office
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #110085

peoplearestrange wrote:Or you could make a "disable camera" function. Where the AI can hack a camera so ONLY it can see through it, everyone else its just static.
As various cameras are broken at round start engineers/RD might assume its just borked and go fix it (making it into perfect bait) plus it also means an AI can hide it self a little more.

How bout that? Possible in the code?
That's called "tell your borg to break the camera in your core" and it's already something that works because the core itself can see out.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #110101

Maybe hacked APCs could flash blue or start turning blue as the number of hacks increased because as is an unguarded absolute tell plops onto the station somewhere as the very first steps of a malf AI. First hack last hack all equally obvious.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #112079

Cheimon wrote: That's called "tell your borg to break the camera in your core" and it's already something that works because the core itself can see out.
With the AI's sight nerf (Built in sight replaced by internal camera), this only partially works due to the AI being placed into an enclosure which blocks most of its view. Having broken chamber cameras will cause the AI to lose sight of the entrance and surrounding areas.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #112193

Just break the lights in your sat - AI has camera lights, but humans don't.

Also I was malf for the first time yesterday, and even though i had no idea what I was doing, I still managed to hack like 16 apc's without hacking the sat or getting caught.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #112202

Incomptinence wrote:Maybe hacked APCs could flash blue or start turning blue as the number of hacks increased because as is an unguarded absolute tell plops onto the station somewhere as the very first steps of a malf AI. First hack last hack all equally obvious.
Now this is clever.

You could have the APC blue for the duration of the hack, encouraging the AI to divert its attention to concealing the APC for a minute or so by preventing the crew accessing the area, being unable to fulfil other requests, etc. Once the hack completes, have the APC permanently unlocked, and the confirming meta-flag that you can't relock the APC.

Balance the time reduction against the modified risk-reward as necessary.
Mime: Depresso