New changeling objectives in regards to required teamplay.

TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

New changeling objectives in regards to required teamplay.

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #114826

If you didn't already know, changelings now have percent chance to get their objectives as a team, sharing assassination targets as well as impersonating entire departments.

I'm wondering if working against fellow changelings in this circumstance should be acted upon by administration.

Thoughts?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: New changeling objectives in regards to required teampla

Post by Steelpoint » #114829

Unlike in traitor rounds where you have the incentive to kill the other traitor for their PDA, with lings that's less so as you only stand to benefit in helping other lings.

Unless there's a chance another ling has to kill you, in which case ggnore to any motivation in working together.

Which leads me to state that lings killing other lings in a objective scenario would only do so to be a dick or because 'i'm a antag'.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #114831

team antag is team antag, be it changeling or nuke.
A nuke op is an antagonist and can do as he likes, so long as it doesn't work against his teamates
lolbombing as a cultist is bad for the same reason, it could kill cultists, it could force the shuttle, you can't do it
nomming a fellow changeling who is on your team, or otherwise acting against someone with the same objective is bad form and should be treated the same damn way as any team based missions.

Now if they fight and escalate, that's a whole other matter, but killing your co-antags as a gimmick or to be a dick for no raisens should net an antag ban, and of course changelings with different objectives and no tie to eachother should feel free to consume eachother as has been tradition, so basically to answer your question, yes, admins should feel free to be hands on in that situation, With regards to context of course.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #114833

Falamazeer wrote:team antag is team antag, be it changeling or nuke.
A nuke op is an antagonist and can do as he likes, so long as it doesn't work against his teamates
lolbombing as a cultist is bad for the same reason, it could kill cultists, it could force the shuttle, you can't do it
nomming a fellow changeling who is on your team, or otherwise acting against someone with the same objective is bad form and should be treated the same damn way as any team based missions.

Now if they fight and escalate, that's a whole other matter, but killing your co-antags as a gimmick or to be a dick for no raisens should net an antag ban, and of course changelings with different objectives and no tie to eachother should feel free to consume eachother as has been tradition, so basically to answer your question, yes, admins should feel free to be hands on in that situation, With regards to context of course.
The thing is that the lings start separated and as far as I know there is no indicator that you are a team besides the last objective of "assist your fellow lings in impersonating x y and z"

As far as I know you are never really told that you are a team.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #114834

Either make Changelings a team antagonist role or leave them as solo.

Don't start making the water murky.

Either it's kosher to fuck over other lings full stop or its not full stop.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #114844

How is it not clear that fucking your teammates while you are OBLIGATED with objectives to work as a team will get you in trouble?

If you have objectives that REQUIRE you to work as a team, then work as a team.

What's over-complicated about this except people trying to toe-la-línea?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #114850

No team HUD markers.

Yes this is an issue. No I do not want lings with team objectives to get HUD markers. No I don't expect lings to constantly exchange accurate information about what disguise they are wearing.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #114854

i hope lings don't get markers

there's nothing funnier than someone armblading a dude and the guy to be yelling on .g "HEY IDIOT I'M ON YOUR SIDE"
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #114867

I was always operating on the assumption they are solo antags with no obligations to the team - Just, a lot of rewards for actually caring to work together

I don't think the code changes should cause a policy change in regards to antag behavior but ehhh those are def. team objectives
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #114879

I remember old ling, an incredibly valid strategy was to kill another ling to get his genome stockpile.

Keep old ling the fuck away from everything, though.
Para GGNORE was boring gameplay with little counterplay.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #114880

I honestly don't like the changes making ling and traitor much more heavily encouraged/easier/obligated to work together - they've always been lone antags, who if they chose to, could work together at the cost of trusting one another.

Now traitor is just round start say .t ayyyy who wants to murderbone
and lings now have a literally team objective to make it ling station.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #114888

my two cents:

yes, but only under the circumstances that the lings KNOW they are working together, as in it would say in the notes "you are the ling! objectives: work with x to assassinate y"
i know that they could just communicate this through ling chat, but in my experience with ling rounds its very rarely used. the way i see it is that lings hindering each other when they have the same objective usually comes about from them not knowing they have similar goals; if we let lings know they are working towards the same objective then they would have no reason to hinder each other, and therein could be acted upon by administration if griffin occurs.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #114890

HUD markers or bust. If you give people an explicit rule and a means of plausible deniability, they'll take it. Watch as changelings smoke each other with laser guns before they can complain, absorb the genomes, and then say "oh sorry, I had no idea!".
Mime: Depresso
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #114891

fucking over teammates for no reason is absolutely shit, and i think in this case it would go against the new "you can't work directly against your objectives" policy we got a while back, so it should be grounds for an antag ban
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #114892

Why the hell is every antag being made a team antag?

Wizards were original a completely solo round, then they got constructs added, then animate objects, then player apprentice wizards
Traitors were solo operatives, often with objectives to kill each other, but they did get code phrases to try to work together.
Lings were specifically designed to eat each other for a massive potential gain of genomes.

We already had rev, cult, and nukeops for team vs team stuff.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #114895

Animate objects is STILL solo, you just have a shitton of angry NPCs running around. Construct wizard is best wizard but nobody plays it.
All three things you listed are also COMPLETELY OPTIONAL, until we figure out the deal with lings anyway.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #114941

Just keep lings as they are. It shouldn't be team-based where they have to work with other lings. Heck, they shouldn't even know if they CAN trust other lings.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #114945

Saegrimr wrote:Animate objects is STILL solo, you just have a shitton of angry NPCs running around. Construct wizard is best wizard but nobody plays it.
All three things you listed are also COMPLETELY OPTIONAL, until we figure out the deal with lings anyway.
Having a bunch of NPCs do your dirty work for you isn't what I'd call solo.

There's strength in numbers so of course most people are going to take the powers that give them that edge.
I want to shoot lasers at the magical bastard not get chased around by a bunch of grilles.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #114952

Malkevin wrote:Having a bunch of NPCs do your dirty work for you isn't what I'd call solo.
So I guess offline Diablo 2 necromancer was the pinnacle of MMO gameplay.
Malkevin wrote:I want to shoot lasers at the magical bastard not get chased around by a bunch of grilles.
So your complaint isn't from the wizard's perspective, its idedplsremove.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #114955

No, classic wizard was a short round about one man and his (un)robustness.

Now its an over extended slogfest through his minions whilst the wizard jerks off in a locker somewhere.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #114963

Well, I prefer new wizard to be honest

They can still go the tried and true tryhard route and just MM + Ei Nath everything, or they can actually try to do something more interesting than killing a dude every minute.

I will admit that some of the current wizard's options are boring, but I'll take a few boring wizard rounds out of several over every round being the same thing ad infinitum
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #114975

Not do derail the thread but skelemancer build in diablo 2 was the pinnical of that game for me, especially when you hit the expansion episode and march your horde of the dead across the battleground through catapult fire and shit.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #114983

No no no no no no no no.

No team markers, no forced team work. If a changeling wants to work with fellow changelings, he's welcome to, but if he wants to lonewolf and even kill another changeling he should be equally welcomed to, no matter if they have the same objectives.

Antags, apart from team antags should be hands free admin wise as possible, don't do this.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #115113

I'll just pop in here, since it's my change.

If the round gives the lings a team objective (it's 20*number of lings%, could maybe do with lowering to 15, 10?) then every other objective of their's DELIBERATELY avoids other lings. that means from a pure code stance, a ling round with team objectives is NOT the place for backstabbing, you have no obligation to backstab, but you DO have an obligation to team up (If you're the kind of person who plays for their greentext, YES you can win if the other lings win the objective, but hedging your bets on other people doesn't always work out)

If the chance for a TO is lowered, I think that'll sort things mostly, People who want backstab ling will get backstab ling, people who want team ling will get team ling.

Also, as for team markers, Lings are masters of disguise so it -literally- didn't come to my mind that they should get team markers, they should inform each other either through their actions or Hivemind
私は完璧
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #115115

Part of the problem is we don't really have a defined policy on something that suddenly appeared in the game.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #115216

So would i be within my rights to suicide if i got team objectives as a ling? Im not really interested in team antags, which is why i keep them disabled most of the time. Id rather not disable ling just because a coder decided to add a low chance for team objectives.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #115232

Well, what's stopping you from just happening to do your lone objectives first and/or just happening to choose a strat or gimmick that passively makes the others redtext? nothing really, admins aren't mindreaders who observe everybody at the same time. It's worse in ling, since other lings have it harder to identify who's doing what. I played team ling once and I no luck trying to coordinate an attack on our objectives, I even offered a complete disguise to another ling to get us close but no one took me up on it and the only real teamwork was bailing out a ling who got caught. And right after, I got mindswapped by another ling because I thought I'd made it obvious that I was disguised as an engineer but in fact I hadn't. The meta has to catch up first I think, we'll see how players respond to the need for teamwork and constant identification of themselves over lingchat.

One solution would be for players to just deal with not getting complete greentext or god forbid, the coders adding some sort of text between green and red, especially for this. Orangetext or something.
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #115252

Hand holding only gets you so far. When it comes to teamwork it gets you just about nowhere.
This isn't in response to any post, just the idea of punishment for not working with other changelings/antags.
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #115371

Just go back to old ling where you had to kill the other lings and eat their genomes for any real chance of actually greentexting. Remove debrain too.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #115422

I'm fine with that, if parasting never makes a return.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #115438

callanrockslol wrote:Just go back to old ling where you had to kill the other lings and eat their genomes for any real chance of actually greentexting. Remove debrain too.
The biggest problem with oldnewling (what) was that debrain objectives sucked and if you got a ling as your target they'd transform into someone else approximately 10 minutes into the round. So basically you have a choice of ignoring greentext like 99% of lings, or beelining to your target and possibly getting into a lingfight, outing BOTH of you as changelings, almost surely taking two antags out of the round in a roundtype with relatively few.

A second major problem is that genomes were ridiculously easy to obtain since you could just DNA sting everyone with zero risk and transform with a mask on. Slash the objective in half to 4-5 and force absorptions instead of DNAstings, I feel is the proper way to go.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #115563

Oldling required actual huskin of people. Huskin is now a joke, since there now multiple ways to bring husks back to life, where before it was only brain transfer.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #115595

lumipharon wrote:Oldling required actual huskin of people. Huskin is now a joke, since there now multiple ways to bring husks back to life, where before it was only brain transfer.
isnt it just brain transfer and upgraded cloners now
that's honestly not that much different
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #115598

You can brain transfer --> defib now which is a bit quicker.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #115658

defibs + upgrading the cloner are the big ones (and extremely easy).
Life chem is also there, but rarer.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #116260

Could we get a binary "Yes" or "No" answer to this? Are changelings with the team objective allowed to kill each other, or otherwise work against themselves?
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #116267

I'm going to be the one to make the call and say this changes nothing for changelings. Work together/against each other at your discretion.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #116383

Scones wrote:I'm going to be the one to make the call and say this changes nothing for changelings. Work together/against each other at your discretion.
I was under the impression that it was against the rules to deliberately contradict your objective if it wasn't kill/steal/hijack
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #116394

Only applies to special antag roles like Space Ninja and Death Squads and ERT teams, etc
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #116403

lumipharon wrote:defibs + upgrading the cloner are the big ones (and extremely easy).
Life chem is also there, but rarer.
You're thinking of Strange Reagent.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #122980

Sorry for the necro, but it IS problem when lings are incentivised to work together and can be punished by other lings for doing so. If admin policy is to treat them as if they aren't a team antag despite their objectives, then you need to remove them, otherwise this will continue to be a problem.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #122984

The objective just really needs to be made it's own gamemode, complete with team HUD markers.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #122991

Changelings are so strong as a team that they shouldn't see who their teammates are they should have to actually communicate.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #123050

imblyings wrote:The objective just really needs to be made it's own gamemode, complete with team HUD markers.
As a game mode, it has a serious problem. The moment one headling is caught, all the other heads fall under massive suspicion and often end up getting killed.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #123796

I'm not saying they should see who their teammates are, but disallow them from straight up selling out their teammates and working against the team antag goals they will likely have.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #123907

Zilenan91 wrote:I'm not saying they should see who their teammates are, but disallow them from straight up selling out their teammates and working against the team antag goals they will likely have.
I agree with this I was responding to ausops, it would be nice if there was a final decision on this.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #123908

Before someone rewrote the whole rules page, the rules clearly said that antags could not directly work against their objectives (killing a protect target etc), or work against their team.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #123914

lumipharon wrote:Before someone rewrote the whole rules page, the rules clearly said that antags could not directly work against their objectives (killing a protect target etc), or work against their team.
Lings aren't considered team antags. Team Antags are the antags with antagHUDs
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #123917

xenos are considered team antags though.

When lings have an explicit team objective, that cannot be completed if they rat out their fellow ling, then that's going against both points.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #123934

Until a more formalized decision gets made,

Explicitly ratting out a fellow ling when you have a team objective will be against the rules. However it's not a full rule, it's a precedent and a new one at that so players breaking it will get the opportunity to be warned first. This specifically applies to explicitly ratting out a fellow ling. Lings not helping, lings using their antag license for a gimmick and disregarding the objective, lings concentrating on their other objectives, lings using strats which cause collateral damage to other lings, and lings killing other lings, will be considered fair play for now.

Factors in this include lings having their own objectives, the potential for lack of communication and friendly fire, and how lings seem to spawn in without team objectives despite other lings having them. As nice as new game content is, I think this was poorly implemented and any policy change will only be stopgap measures.