Lowpop murderboner is getting bad.

callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Lowpop murderboner is getting bad.

Post by callanrockslol » #131221

When there's less than 20 people on you can almost guarantee that someone will take out the only head and drag the round on for over an hour as they meticulously kill everything.

Can it just be a rule that before when you are killing absolutely everyone on lowpop you have to call the shuttle? Or have the shuttle forcecall if the only person alive is an antag or something?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Re: Lowpop murderboner is getting bad.

Post by Oldman Robustin » #131233

This is ripe ground for admin intervention (and they usually do). If its No Admins AND Lowpop? Well you're SOL, it's always been that way though. It's not "getting" bad, it's always been bad. I've wiped out the station using scrub tactics on lowpop and that's what I expect others to do when I get on late at night.

Best thing you can hope for is some well-coded feature that automatically initiates an unrecallable shuttle shortly after 75%+ of the crew is dead or braindead.
Last edited by Oldman Robustin on Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #131276

We should bring back cloak&bow + thermals so you know what low-pop murderbone looks like.

Mind you, back then we had AIs every round.
Mime: Depresso
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #131369

invisty wrote:We should bring back cloak&bow + thermals so you know what low-pop murderbone looks like.

Mind you, back then we had AIs every round.
Yes.

Spoiler:

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
>trucking

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #131865

Well, Callan is right. Murderboning is getting a bit outoff hand and extremely detrimental to gameplay. Every lowpop round, someone goes on a murderbone spree to kill everyone. Mediumpop? People will still murderbone. I really don't mind it if mass killing happens during Nuke Ops, Revs, Wizard, and such, buuuuut....

Maybe we should begin changing the Antag policy a bit....Since at the moment it is causing ridiculous bullcrap like this. Someone can have an objective to steal a pair of shoes, and so they can murder everyone on the station and destroy the entire station, and to round it all up with, NOT complete any of their objectives.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #131866

But its valid.

You guys like the valids.

Revs captured the captain alive and were going to hold a public trial/execution, but one guy thought it would take too long so he just sawed the captain to death while dragging it away from everybody wanting to RP, but it was valid.

"No antag restrictions! Go back to bay!"
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #131868

Saegrimr, may be, but recently it has been going to far, far enough to actually harm the gameplay a lot every round.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #131869

Well maybe you should go back to bay, this is the server for EXTREMELY SKILLED and HIGHLY ROBUST players who want to partake in our BALANCED and ENGAGING COMBAT SYSTEM. Remember the last time the host of the server attempted to enforce something like this? Ha~ [/Heavily implied sarcasm]

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2252
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #131870

The problem back there was that SoS issued a blanket ban on something that ultimately came down to individual admin interpretation and feelings at the time.
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #131871

Saegrimr, I know it is sarcasm from you. But it is sad once you realise a lot of the players here would say that seriously.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #131873

firecage wrote:Saegrimr, I know it is sarcasm from you. But it is sad once you realise a lot of the players here would say that seriously.
Isn't it though?
Steelpoint wrote:The problem back there was that SoS issued a blanket ban on something that ultimately came down to individual admin interpretation and feelings at the time.
SoS did a lot of disagreeable things, but aside from his personal involvement with the matter he wasn't exactly wrong imo, tbh
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #131874

Saegrimr. Be the admin we don't deserve, but that we need! Take matters into your own hands and blackmail the headmins for change!
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #131875

Actually it was almost another admin that pushed the snowball at the top of the mountain, but they didn't really want to deal with the inevitable backlash.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #131884

Sos was a bit misguided, but now I am pretty sure he was right. We COULD actively purge the shit, the only question is if we should. It would require a pretty drastic shift in admin policy and a lot of work from the headmins but I think it could be done. We would also certainly take a hit to the playerbase size
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #131899

Add a rule that players have to prioritize their objective over murdering everyone in sight? Gotta assassinate your target or steal that captain's jumpsuit and THEN you're allowed to murderbone to your heart's content.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #131905

The optimal solution would be for the playerbase to simultaneously suck it up when bad things happen and also be more considerate of other players, and be aware that this is a game people play for fun, while retaining the freedom that antagonists and non-antagonists have. It's possible, bagil had this, although caused by things sybil don't really have.

A step towards that optimal solution is increasing admin recruitment and coverage, as well as having admins proactively rather than occasionally intervene during lowpop murderboners. I'm probably going to go with that first.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #131912

I agree with encouraging admins to be proactive and intervene when a murderbone gets to far. By intervene I mean more so in a IC way, from a ERT, Bounty Hunter or whatever else the admin can think of that is not just dropping a bomb on the guy and calling it.

Too often I see admins doing nothing when a situation like this occurs, they drag their feet and eventually send a ERT only after the emergency shuttle is 30 seconds from leaving, 30 minutes after the fact.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #131937

The issue with ert is that admins usually refrain from sending it unless the shuttle is ping ponging, as ert generates a lot of salt from antags due to their murderbone being disrupted.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #131939

I thought the whole point of this thread is who fucking cares what they think
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #131958

Problem with ERT is you either send it early, and antag behaviour is killed by the presence of 7 all access security guards, or you send them after everyone is dead and having extra targets to shoot at during your murderspree isnt really a punishment.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #131959

Admins won't always be online. A blanket "don't murderbone" would be good (but complicated for wizards - maybe they'd have to pursue their objectives or a gimmick, but not be instavalid?).
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #131975

Could,just gib them instead of an ert. They don't get any reward out of being turned into an instant meat shower, after all. Alternately varedit all their weapons to be harmless, and give their jumpsuit -1000000 of every protection. Instand punching bag...
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #131988

BSA/GIB them with a Centcomm Announcement to discourage such things in the future then use the subsequent salt as a lick for your horses?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #131995

There might actually be more support for lower tolerance to murderbone now.

To be honest I can't even find myself opposed to it.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #132014

Antag objectives are so dull though and generally accomplishable by emagging into an empty room, stuffing an item in your bag, and leaving. Even worse for wizards who can just warp in and out.

And there are lots of things (bombs, mechs, atmos flooding) that pretty much only exist to kill a ton of people. Can you not stomp around in your Durand after building it?

Every department is full of exotic ways to murder other players so of course people go nuts when they finally get a chance.

Any rule we made would have massive grey areas if we tried to preserve antag freedom, and it'd be a shame if we didn't.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #132031

Antag objectives are so dull though and generally accomplishable by emagging into an empty room, stuffing an item in your bag, and leaving. Even worse for wizards who can just warp in and out.
Maybe add some more interesting objectives or some potential twists to existing objectives then? Especially stuff that encourages a bit more interaction and cunning. An example would be "steal the x item and make sure y player escapes with it."
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #132036

Way the diminishing returns equation for antags works is you start off with 2 traitors minimum. That is potentially 2 out of 5 or something that is ridiculous.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #132117

Saegrimr wrote:Well maybe you should go back to bay, this is the server for EXTREMELY SKILLED and HIGHLY ROBUST players who want to partake in our BALANCED and ENGAGING COMBAT SYSTEM. Remember the last time the host of the server attempted to enforce something like this? Ha~ [/Heavily implied sarcasm]

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2252
Oh my god this actually happened?

I wasn't playing at the time but holy shit, disaster averted.

Isn't "policing solo antag behavior" like the cornerstone of Baystation and everything we make fun of them for?

*BWOINK*: Why did you kill that assistant as a traitor?

I'm also laughing at the people talking about rewriting our entire antag policy because someone is upset about being murdered at 4am with 10 active players on.

People need to suck it up more and people need to understand that some degree of powergaming is the norm here. If a traitor is rampaging around with his holoparasite, the average player reaction needs to be "smash a nearby window, make a spear, and try to impale the motherfucker that killed all your friends and is coming for you".... not "sit in the bar and assuming he won't kill you because you're engaged in high-minded RP at the bar and then whine in deadchat and adminhelp because someone ran in and killed you for no reason".

I really find it hilarious since in these crisis situations the powergamers are the best roleplayers and the "roleplayers" are actually terrible at roleplaying.

Sitting calmly in your kitchen making pie while security is slaughtered in the brig is not good roleplaying unless you're roleplaying a chef on the autism spectrum.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #132125

That thread was mainly caused a couple people in particular running the old hulk/hyperzine/lube/bio helmet/esword/shuttle recall combo round after round, and then a few wizard rounds in a row where every survivor would just immediately go on a murderfest rampage. Yes, I understand that was the intent by the creator of the thing but the objective wording was absolutely dumb for the reaction given. Short of it being the "Minimize Casualties" objective ninjas get/got.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #132127

I'd be all for a reduction in murderboning by antags like traitors/lings so I don't feel as obligated to hunt down all the mass murderers. The rest of the antags shouldn't have their murderbone policies changed though tbh, there's no real problem with them.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #132454

Incomptinence wrote:Way the diminishing returns equation for antags works is you start off with 2 traitors minimum. That is potentially 2 out of 5 or something that is ridiculous.
Was a lowpop round a while back, three antags for nine crew, both traitors got holo's and went for the brig. The survivor killed everyone else.

Once again though, not advocating removing murderboner, just asking for forced shuttle calls when it happens lowpop so the round doesn't become "traitor kills everyone for an hour and stops any calls until there are no survivors".

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #132634

Honestly, Murderboning will always be a thing due to the fact that it's officially ruled that Antags don't have to follow their objectives, and can go around murderboning with fun stuff like holoparasites and eswords.
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #132667

Deal with it.
feedback appreciated here <3
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #132796

Even with the old sane flat ratio of 5:1 lowpop murderbone would still be easy but it would have less people able to decide to turn the round into a literal graveyard shift from the get go.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #132866

Incomptinence wrote:Way the diminishing returns equation for antags works is you start off with 2 traitors minimum. That is potentially 2 out of 5 or something that is ridiculous.
I don't think that's true? I'm not certain what the current traitor coefficient is, but the lowpop scale is just a straight up population/coeff

Unless someone really did set the coeff to something stupid like 2, the madman
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #133213

You didn't notice how the graph starts with a value of 2 at 0?
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #133217

It's a shitty graph because nobody can understand it and I'm even worse at explaining it, but it actually starts at 0. You're meant to take the lower number of traitors.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #133221

My mistake I am curious about the reported 3 antagonists in a crew of 9 round though.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #133228

Reading this thread gave me an idea. Bear in mind, I haven't played in quite a while, for one, for two, it's nothing fleshed out and just a sudden thought that might or might not work.

Basically, automatically call ERT when a certain number of people died (percentage of the total crew, for example). It solves this:
palpatine213 wrote:The issue with ert is that admins usually refrain from sending it unless the shuttle is ping ponging, as ert generates a lot of salt from antags due to their murderbone being disrupted.
since the antags will have only themselves to blame in that case. It could give traitors a reason to actually fight the murderboning ones, since ERT might disrupt their own objectives. It could give rev and cult more of an incentive to convert rather than kill. For something like malf it could be disabled. Also gives ghosts something to do without admins having to make the decision.

The most glaring problem would be hijack shuttle objectives (as well as certain antagonists but like I mentioned it could be disabled for those). And probably something else that I overlooked, so do tell.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #133655

Incomptinence wrote:My mistake I am curious about the reported 3 antagonists in a crew of 9 round though.
Two traitors and a ling.
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Basically, automatically call ERT when a certain number of people died
Or just force a red alert shuttle call, which accomplishes everything an ERT would do but faster and doesn't fuck up the antags round either.

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #133678

We could always just ban murderboners (especially lowpop).
"Deliberately going out of your way to directly kill many people, especially on a low-population station, is disallowed."
You can still kill anyone in your way (i.e. stopping you from accomplishing your objectives/gimmick, etc).
You can still kill a few people. If one's your target, that's fine.
You can still kill someone, get spotted, kill the witnesses, then kill people who try and attack you after you get outed on comms.
You can't buy a revolver and autolathe a dozen blocks of ammo, then go postal on uninvolved civilians in the bar/medical, etc.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #133680

All I can say is suck it up. Shit happens on low pop.

The best thing I can think of is a automatic ERT call if the population dips below a certain threshold, aside from that this is a issue that can only be solved via restrictions to antagonist actions, which is something we've historically tried to avoid when possible.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #133695

But on lowpop an ERT call might do nothing due to there not being enough ghosts.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #133735

Zilenan91 wrote:But on lowpop an ERT call might do nothing due to there not being enough ghosts.
I'm pretty sure there'd be plenty of salty ghosts if an antag is murderboning.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #134028

auto calling the shuttle at ~75% casualties or so seems to be the best solution.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #134079

CPTANT wrote:auto calling the shuttle at ~75% casualties or so seems to be the best solution.
That'll be really akwards for the 4 player basil rounds.

Kill one guy and the only witness and suddenly BEEP BOOP MASS MURDERER GO HUDDLE UP IN ESCAPE.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #134082

If it's a 4-player round and you just killed two of them, you should really rethink your strategy. But calling the shuttle in that instance would be a good idea regardless.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #134679

Shuttle should autocall at 25% remaining crew but be able to be recalled if it goes back up yes/yes?

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #138171

The issue with hard coded things to prevent murderbone or any other sort of game play is that sometimes there is a good cause, sometimes there are exceptional circumstances that coders/people cannot see at the time. Whats great about this game is its flexible and changeable. Adding code/mechanisms to prevent certain gameplay will only end up with people finding loop holes anyway. I.e. If people want to murderbone they won't be discouraged by a gameplay mechanic.
The pressure has to come from the community and other players saying "this isn't acceptable" or "this isn't fun for anyone but the one person" and then a change can take place.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Murazor
Byond Username: Murazor

Post by Murazor » #138576

Simple solution, add an automatic script for when 80% of the station is dead or converted that spawns either an ERT/deathsquad event satisfies the murderbones, and gives the unrobust a chance for some payback. And if all of them die. Then call the shuttle at 0:01 seconds.

All it takes to stop a murderboner is a good taser shot/slip/bomb. If people can't do that then they should get better at the game, rather then demanding the game downgrade itself to suit their needs.
ImageImageImage