1 easy way to solve any "is X harm?" debate

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

1 easy way to solve any "is X harm?" debate

Post by iamgoofball » #133992

Does the action cause any BRUTE, BURN, TOX, OXY, BRAIN, or CLONE damage to the parties involved?

If not, it's not harm, because those are the only ways to harm a human.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: 1 easy way to solve any "is X harm?" debate

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #133993

Being turned into a monkey does none of these but we consider it harm
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #134000

As players, there's also the consideration of "is X player being a dick? If so, arrest the shit out of him."
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #134012

Also, what about mental torture? Surely that's harmful, if it can be found.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #134013

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Being turned into a monkey does none of these but we consider it harm
Pretty sure the reason we consider that harm is because it allows future harm, which can still be defined in the terms goof outlined.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #134014

You've posted that in topics before. Did it end the debate there or did it mysteriously still carry on after you delivered this deep wisdom?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #134047

Pretty much anything that pushes someone closer to crit or strips their humanity away is harm, brain damage can probably be ignored since you can't exactly kill someone with it (barring goofmed getting merged)
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #134048

Shaps wrote:Pretty much anything that pushes someone closer to crit or strips their humanity away is harm, brain damage can probably be ignored since you can't exactly kill someone with it (barring goofmed getting merged)
Of course brain damage is harm. You see the part where it says brain damage?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #134051

CPTANT wrote:
Shaps wrote:Pretty much anything that pushes someone closer to crit or strips their humanity away is harm, brain damage can probably be ignored since you can't exactly kill someone with it (barring goofmed getting merged)
Of course brain damage is harm. You see the part where it says brain damage?
It's not like real life where brain damage will kill you dead as shit, are you going to be the secborg who goes out of his way to brig the chaplain every time he uses his bible on someone because there's a chance he might do a little brain damage?
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #134077

Dehumanization, force borging, forced surgery in general probably. Yes brain damage counts, especially when it causes you to slam into airlocks and knock you out.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #134093

Don't forget about open access to live lethal-only firearms to untrusted personnel (OOC: People who are in antag-enabled roles unless proven to be trustworthy/People acting 'antagonistically', which *does* include sec officers and the Captain) when there is not a existential threat from non-Humans, like a blob/Xenomorph infestation. That doesn't mean to ignore the warden waking out with the lasers without questioning him what he's going to do with them.
That means you can refuse to let John McTider into the armoury when the laser guns are on the racks there but not if there's only tasers. Short of using them as blunt instruments, there is no conceivable way of them being used as instruments of harm and he could use literally anything to hit someone else with. E-guns are a little blurry but they have a disable setting so there isn't a certainty that they'd be used for harm.

I've not had a problem when using that standard to judge when people should and shouldn't be allowed to let into the armoury
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #134102

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Being turned into a monkey does none of these but we consider it harm
It's been a while since I've played because FO4 is slowly sucking the life out of me but don't SEs cause a tiny bit of radiation damage? If so you can argue that it does cause harm.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #134146

When you become a monkey you reverse in evolution, resulting in reduced brain capacity, therefore brain damage, therefore harm.
Cheimon wrote:Also, what about mental torture? Surely that's harmful, if it can be found.
Quite frankly if I could punish for "mental torture" as an AI than I can unleash intense amounts of rules lawyering to lock the entire station down and shut off comms. I don't see it as harm.
Zilenan91 wrote:As players, there's also the consideration of "is X player being a dick? If so, arrest the shit out of him."
That's not harm to be arrested, contrary to what some assistants might squeal.
Jacquerel wrote:You've posted that in topics before. Did it end the debate there or did it mysteriously still carry on after you delivered this deep wisdom?
The topic I posted it in did indeed end after that, yes.
Saegrimr wrote:Dehumanization, force borging, forced surgery in general probably. Yes brain damage counts, especially when it causes you to slam into airlocks and knock you out.
Yeah, monkeying as stated before lowers mental capacity by reversing the evolution of man, meaning brain damage, meaning harm. Surgery not done properly is harm, due to failure chances to injure the patient. Force borging requires removing the brain, which dehumanizes the subject when placed into an MMI, and is therefore harm.
Anonmare wrote:Don't forget about open access to live lethal-only firearms to untrusted personnel (OOC: People who are in antag-enabled roles unless proven to be trustworthy/People acting 'antagonistically', which *does* include sec officers and the Captain) when there is not a existential threat from non-Humans, like a blob/Xenomorph infestation. That doesn't mean to ignore the warden waking out with the lasers without questioning him what he's going to do with them.
That means you can refuse to let John McTider into the armoury when the laser guns are on the racks there but not if there's only tasers. Short of using them as blunt instruments, there is no conceivable way of them being used as instruments of harm and he could use literally anything to hit someone else with. E-guns are a little blurry but they have a disable setting so there isn't a certainty that they'd be used for harm.

I've not had a problem when using that standard to judge when people should and shouldn't be allowed to let into the armoury
I'm mainly trying to discuss INSTANT harm such as getting a bullet in the forehead or getting stuck with a lightsaber, not POSSIBLE harm from things people could potentially do. These are good points, though, and I'd recommend this setup to AIs handling the neverending struggle of Warden VS AI.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #134154

Any involuntary application of a dna injector is harm because of rads.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #134155

While it's a good guideline as any, making it a hard rule would only enforce the idea that players should all look into the code to see how things work behind the scenes instead of what the action appears to be at face-value as the game presents it.

There's a lot that needs to be picked up intuitively that we'd be losing with this.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #134157

Yeah, but this is for cases like "is mindswap harm?"
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #134188

Monkeying doesn't cause actual brain damage. It just so happen that monkeys cannot do certain things.

Saying "it reduces brain capacity by reversing evolution and is therefore harm" is way more tenuous then letting people perform surgery beucae it doesn't actually cause any brute damage.

Surgery is allowed because it literally causes no harm, game mechanics wise.
Monkeying also causes no harm in of itself (game mechanics wise), but isn't allowed because it makes a human into a not human.
Mind swapping is allowed because the human itself is physically unharmed, just the "soul" is transferred.

And if you try to argue that the soul counts as part of a human, then that means borging a human, a monkified human, a human that gets his brain put in a lizard body etc etc would all still count as human in terms of asimov, which they obviously don't.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #134202

But Lumi, humanfied monkeys being killed and experimented on doesn't fall under law 1 though.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #134204

Same with humans that have ghosted - it's more of a OOC thing then an IC thing.
Basically it's not as clear cut as the OP states.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #134216

Humanified monkeys are assumed to have volunteered until they say otherwise. If they volunteer, it's self-harm - so the Ai doesn't have to stop it. Same principle for rage cages, duels, being borged, going into an alien hive with a bomb, etc.

(At least, I /think/ that's how it works...)
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #134217

Fun detail: Asimov came up with these laws so he could write stories about how ambiguous they are.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #134221

We don't run asimov, we don't even run asimov+logical conclusions

We run asimov with a bunch of inconsistent handwaving to smooth out the ordeal of having to play AI with a focus on fun every now and then, that's it.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #134681

imblyings wrote:We don't run asimov, we don't even run asimov+logical conclusions

We run asimov with a bunch of inconsistent handwaving to smooth out the ordeal of having to play AI with a focus on fun every now and then, that's it.
We barely even run that, we run Asimov+exceptions to make the game work/shit being funny + a huge policy of how to act in situations because people don't spend all their time thinking about how Asimov laws works in 2d spessmans.

Also > silicon policy still exists but isn't linked anywhere that matters

pls
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy