Make Basil a No-Rulz Fun Zone (Locked by OP)

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Make Basil a No-Rulz Fun Zone (Locked by OP)

Post by Timbrewolf » #146260

Now that Basil is on the hub I'm watching you guys deal with a giant influx of randos and struggle to find a balance while handling a bunch of deposed Basil players.

I'm here to tell you:

Don't. Don't contain it.

Here's what you should do instead to actually improve the /tg/ community instead of just cramming more people into it:

1) Enact TLE server rules on Basil. Basically if it can be handled IC, it has to be handled IC.
2) Encourage /tg/'s hardened 2pro4u murderscope populace to go play on Basil and dunk harder than they've ever dunked before.
3) Maintain Sibyl as a light-rp-maybe-only-if-you-want-to kind of server it currently is with the current /tg/ ruleset

What does this get you, as a community?

You have a punching back stressbox griff simulator for FUN on one server, and a semi-serious-but-not-really game on the other.
People getting mad at video games can blow off steam on Basil. People getting tired of toolboxing everyone to death all the time can spend time on Sibyl.
New players joining the community experience the shitstorm first, then eventually hear about the OTHER server where people actually act slightly more civilly...or they don't.
Last edited by Ikarrus on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title note
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Make Basil a No-Rulz Fun Zone

Post by PKPenguin321 » #146261

>all shitty players move to basil to become more shitty
>RPers stay on sybil
>the servers have now switched places but the shitty fun one is even shittier than before
dank idea bro
also this thread should probably go in policy discussion or something
Last edited by PKPenguin321 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #146262

It's in ideas because it's an idea.

>implying basil wasn't always worst server
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #146263

I thought you were done with this server, and don't even play
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #146264

i mean i guess but this is talking about rules changes and generally this board is for actual in-game content ideas
up to the board mods i guess
my point about lowering the standards of both servers while accomplishing nothing in the process stands though
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #146266

Saegrimr wrote:I thought you were done with this server, and don't even play
If you had any friends in the community you would know that even when you aren't playing, everyone talks to you about the server anyway.

If you want to just have our regular bitchfest lets do it in private okay?

EDIT: If mods want to move this somewhere else thas cool

If people want to spend time shooting the messenger rather than talking about the idea itself there's always the funtimes bouncehouse of singulo for that.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #146288

you don't even play fatty
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #146293

[HATING BASIL MEME INTENSIFIES]
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #146296

I like your thinking, but I think we can give them even more of a carrot.

Give all crew members a NanotrasenTM uplink on their PDA for purchasing cosmetic clothing, musical instruments, immersion-busting and just-plain-annoying items with greentextcrystals.
Greentextcrystals are obtained by winning as an antagonist, stopping traitors as sec, busting blob tiles, killing xenos, etc.

Then enable that system on the server of your choice, and watch as the filth migrates like flies to a corpse.
Mime: Depresso
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #146308

>implying people who get off on murderbones and validhunting would do it anywhere but the most populated place
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #146311

Shaps wrote:>implying people who get off on murderbones and validhunting would do it anywhere but the most populated place
If you're truly robust you'll play on the server were only the strong survive and might makes the rules.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #146314

I admin Basil fairly often and I've found the playerbase to be quite reasonable, actually. There are already a decent amount of regulars who are solid players and solid people in general. The only real shitters I encountered were one-and-done.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #146316

>Encouraging shittiness
pls no
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #146323

On one hand I can see where you're going with this, on the other hand it will split the community, it will encourage even more of server wars and elitism and shitlers will constantly leak, probably with people from both servers trying to push that playstyle onto the other one.

Not to mention that new players will get used to the shitfest and will bring it to "THAT OTHER SERVER" with them.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #146343

Simply play basil in one of the often vacant armed authority positions. Honestly it is quite fun to prune the odd shit and since it is lowpop there aren't enough people for a real assistant shit squad. Or admin and coder endorsed push for 100% revwin massacres.

If you wanna play anon just play, don't be afraid all you have to do is stay away from administrating and I am sure you will be fine. Admining can be a poison for some people but hey you kicked the minor habit.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #146344

Badger was better than Sybil. It had best HBL events too.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #146412

Incomptinence wrote:If you wanna play anon just play.
But I don't. This isn't about making a server that I would want to play on so I have something to come back to. Even if this idea took off and people built it I still wouldn't play.

I don't know if people don't want to admit that random griff and fisticuffs with folks is fun, or if they've actually honestly never tried it.
The majority of folks over time were attracted to the games because of random stories of griff and the goofy action of it. You may have grown out of it now and look down your nose at madcap assistants running around fucking shit up, but like it or not, it's still a facet of the game and something that is fun for a lot of people.

You say "Making the server worse" but it's really "Making the server a gameplay I don't like"
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #146413

An0n3 wrote:Even if this idea took off and people built it I still wouldn't play.
What the fuck are you even trying to do then?
"Hey you should do all this shit because it would be funny no i'm not going to stick around for it though good luck."
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #146417

What if we make Basil a permadeath server - one death allowed per IP/ComputerID/Ckey. Once you die, you get banned from the server. Every 2 weeks, the bans are cleared and the server resets. There is no administrative presence on the server - meaning literally nobody has admin rights.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #146418

Saegrimr wrote:What the fuck are you even trying to do then?
I'd ask you the same thing? If you have criticisms of an idea by all means bring it up.

If you just want to argue with me personally I'm just not in the mood.
"I don't like the guy who said this" isn't a valid criticism and you're not adding anything to the thread.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #146442

This is a coding section for code ideas. Try again.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #146463

Ok fine, I'm a dummy. I'll move this to policy discussion.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Pascal123
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #146465

No.

The servers will not be reversed.
Demonbane
Byond Username: Adminbane

Post by Demonbane » #146466

Sounds like a great idea.
IF YOU'RE A FUCKING MORON
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #146544

I like this idea.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #146573

I'm ok with this in the sense that low/no rules rounds went extremely well.

Saying "everyone griff here as hard as you can!1!!!111", eh, not so much.

Also why in the actual fuck would you open basil to the hub? Even if you don't give a shit about basil, it's more than possible hubsters will find sybil after coming onto basil and shitting up there as well.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #146575

Yeah, this sounds like a terrible idea. Server culture has changed. It's not what it used to be. As it has been pointed out, said rules free grief would be damn near impossible to keep from spilling over into the other server. We don't gain anything. If people want rules free stuff they can join another hub server.

Also, saeg has a point. You say that it would make the server better, yet you yourself admit it isn't somewhere you would want to play. It's not really so much a personal issue as it is we just have no reason to believe you.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #146633

To add, it also be a drastic cut and change from what Basil is currently (Medium RP).
Still suggestions are always good! Its how we evolve and change over the time, rather than being stale.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: Make Basil a No-Rulz Fun Zone (Locked by OP)

Post by MrStonedOne » #146786

Topic was locked by op.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW: