apply bans for being dickweeds to new players

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

apply bans for being dickweeds to new players

Post by iamgoofball » #146697

we opened basil up to the hub recently, and I've seen nothing but insults thrown at people who come here to play from the hub, and new players in general

"they're shit at the game"
"all they do is grief"

nice fuckin broad ass generalizations dipshit, not everyone from the hub is shit

please start slapping people on the wrist or some shit for sitting in OOC/spamming the forum threads with "hub players are ALL HORRIBLE AT SS13" because we put basil on the hub to attract new players, and we're currently undermining that by letting certain individuals spend every waking hour going off about how shitty new players are and how only old players are good players

tl;dr: punish people for going above and byond the normal acceptable bantz levels for being dicks to new players
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: apply bans for being dickweeds to new players

Post by bandit » #146698

Grounds for a temporary OOC vacation, at least. DON'T MAKE ME TURN THIS OOC AROUND.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #146699

Don't be dicks, you dicks. We were all normies at some point.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #146720

Without new players, soon, there will be no players to play with. Removing some toxic players is usually necessary, the hard part is realizing that they've become toxic if they were once neat people and only slowly degraded. All in all, in a community the size of TGS, no one person is necessary. Anyone can be removed - and should be if necessary. This applies to everyone: newbies, experienced players, regulars, admins, coders, head admins, head coders and the host. Everyone is replaceable.

I however have no opinion as to whether anyone in particular should be replaced or removed. I'm still amused by Bandit getting admin powers.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #146729

NSFW:
>Replacing MSO
When it comes to new players, well, everyone was new once. Guiding them to wiki guides is great, but so is IC help. Best way to learn how to play this game is by hands-on learning, and no guide can replace help from another player.
Though, truth to be told, hub DOES cause a regular stream of memers and griffons to arrive. Was age limit disabled at some point, or do they enter server once, then enter month later to griff?
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Pascal123
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #146733

Where exactly did you hear this? I wouldn't be surprised if it was on Sybil.
You haven't logged onto Bagil since it's opening to the Hub, Anyways...

I've already suggested we have an easier way for the new players to access the Wiki/Help page, as some do not seem to know the rules. As far as i know. Everyone on Bagil is interested in helping the new players. If you can ask for it, you can get it. I've personally helped multiple players get integrated into the game and RP on Bagil.

But like every other server. There are toxic shitlers that join just to grief. Those players exist, and they do cause problems. That is why some may be insulting them.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #146759

But if you don't haze the newbs how will you weed out the weak?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #146762

At the very very least we need to change the MOTD on basil to link the rules and urge people read them, preferably as soon as possible
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #146784

ShadowDimentio wrote:Don't be dicks, you dicks. We were all normies at some point.
except like 98% of this playerbase are still normies.................
crack is whack but smacks got your back
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #146795

fucking preach it colonic, these buttbabies wouldn't even know who wtsnacks is
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #146875

"BUT HE FORCED A SEX CHANGE ON ME THAT IS TOTALLY LIKE GROSS OMG I CANT BELIEVE THIS I LITERALLY FEEL SICK IN MY MOUTH!"
Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #146881

Oh no! not my pixels! Anything but my pixels! Lol.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #146886

Be what you wanna be bro.

I once missed the shuttle because I was trying to turn an ex alien queen white.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #146902

Incomptinence wrote:Be what you wanna be bro.

I once missed the shuttle because I was trying to turn an ex alien queen white.
You did the right thing
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #147921

Pascal123 wrote: I've personally helped multiple players get integrated into the game and RP on Bagil.
"Welcome to /tg/station, here's your complimentary autistic ligger!"
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #147938

Better to have an "Autistic Ligger" show you the ropes than nobody.
Certainly sounds better than a senile thirty year old spewing out unnecessary insults and complaining about how much he hates the game. Doesn't it?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #147948

i dont think senile applies to a 30 yr old but ya
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #148024

Yeah.png
No.png
No.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 5482 times
172.jpg
Honestly I'd go with the nobody.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #148027

An0n3 wrote:Honestly I'd go with the nobody.
Are you volunteering to teach the newbies? :^)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #148031

Saegrimr wrote:
An0n3 wrote:Honestly I'd go with the nobody.
Are you volunteering to teach the newbies? :^)
Sure, I'll start with everyone who wasn't here in 2010-11.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #149143

u got alot of work to do then :^)

including me btw teach me the ways
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #149255

>People posting snide remarks instead of focusing on the policy in discussion

Not nice

moderators do your job please
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #149328

If someone is harassing, insulting or being a complete dick to someone because they are new/don't know how to do their job, then yeah their dicks who should be given a smack or two. If they ask for help ooc or clearly don't know what their doing, tell them what to do or give them the relevant wiki page.

If new players are being treated the same as all other players, that's all that matters. This isn't a hug box.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #149874

oranges wrote:>People posting snide remarks instead of focusing on the policy in discussion
Not nice
moderators do your job please
I'm here with my delete button held high!

Anyway on point: I'm going to be taking a stronger stance, as I have done before, about people spouting hate towards new players in OOC. The point is to learn up new players, get them used to our code and playstyle. Longbow and Wyzack have been pretty good at helping out people from what i've seen, including warning players that its an English speaking server so might struggle if its not their first language.
Wyzack wrote:At the very very least we need to change the MOTD on basil to link the rules and urge people read them, preferably as soon as possible
This might be a good idea. As with a lot of hub joiners, they dont realise that each server has their own ruleset and playstyle or even code (I certainly didnt when I first started playing SS13).

From what I've seen, people who don't RP or break a rule mostly change when given a bwoink. We had some guy yesterday not even vaguely RPing, who was warned and instantly changed to fit in. Was satisfying.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #150128

peoplearestrange wrote:This might be a good idea. As with a lot of hub joiners, they dont realise that each server has their own ruleset and playstyle or even code (I certainly didnt when I first started playing SS13).
Seen this a few times. Even IC space law and SoP changes from server to server and a lot of new players can't be bothered trawling through a wiki or forum for each and every server they want to visit to see what the tiny little different details are.
Oh, and people just calling new players shit for learning game mechanics is cancer, like berating people for being slightly slow at making chemicals because they're busy tabbing between the game and the wiki.
And god forbid you try to learn how to do things like hacking without the validhunters descending upon you and screaming at you to GIT GUD ACT LIKE AN ANTAG GET TREATED LIKE ONE and so forth because you made the mistake of unscrewing the door to a bathroom.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #150129

It is actually pretty fun to teach newbies how to play IC, assuming they actually want to learn
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #150130

Wyzack wrote:It is actually pretty fun to teach newbies how to play IC, assuming they actually want to learn
tbh I consider that part of the job of a head. If you can't teach a new player the basics of a job (wordless non-english-speaking incompetents notwithstanding) then why are you playing a head of staff?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #150325

ever since basil was opened up to the hub i've noticed literal whos being absolute fucking garbage on sybil. not sure if this is correlated but im getting real sick of greyshirts and heads decided to spend the entire round fucking with sec and murdering officers when there's nuke ops.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #150546

Super Aggro Crag wrote:ever since basil was opened up to the hub i've noticed literal whos being absolute fucking garbage on sybil. not sure if this is correlated but im getting real sick of greyshirts and heads decided to spend the entire round fucking with sec and murdering officers when there's nuke ops.
Then Ahelp it, that shit obviously doesn't stand and can be dealt with. Its what we're here for.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box