Ghosting after being abducted by ayys

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Ghosting after being abducted by ayys

Post by bandit » #149115

This is not kosher, in the same way that ghosting after being converted is not kosher, correct? Ayys don't get points for it, and it's kind of dickish. Some people are arguing they should have the right to ghost to avoid "nonconsensual RP." Thoughts?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Re: Ghosting after being abducted by ayys

Post by InsaneHyena » #149118

I don't understand how this is even a point of discussion. Ghosting after being borged by a malf AI and ghosting when abducted should both be bannable offenses.
Bring back papercult.

Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #149119

Why would you ghost out if you're going to get released in like 60 seconds anyway? Like, unless the abductors start emoting about anal probes or some weird shit, I think people should be able to man up and deal with being put in a situation where they're powerless for a minute or two
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #149130

I'd rather abductors just be able to get points from catatonic/braindead people, as the neatest solution involving no headaches.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #149133

Ever since ayy's have been put in, I've yet to be kidnapped by one, but if people seriously ghost to make the ayys not win or get a greentext they should get a Ayy ban so they don't get to enjoy being one themselves in the future, and a stern talking to.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #149140

>unconsensual rp

lmao is this their shitty excuse for "i want to deny the greentext"

ban their ass
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #149156

A combination of Ausops' and "Ban the big fat babies" sounds ideal.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #149166

Can we also add a thing where if people are gibbed it still counts for the purpose of their objective?
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #149167

For context, we had a captain who rushed up to an ayyyyy with a baton, only to get baton-ed by the ayyyyyy first. He then proceeded to ghost before the ayyyyyys got the chance to disect him, and later popped up in OOC about how he can opt out of the game anytime he wants, how ayyyyyyy probes were considered nonconsensial (E)RP, and how ayyyyys were in the "magical realm" that he would choose not to participate.

I just told him that ghosting as a head or captain is punishable without proper reasons, and got on with the next round.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #149191

Abductors are the last thing you want to ghost out of anyway, since they give you free antag with silly objectives and of the few implants that kill you, I'm quite sure they can still be circumvented by a cloning backup. It's at least understandable with cult or sling or rev since sometimes you just don't want to fucking play or you'd be useless anyway but in these cases we should really be encouraging players to just ahelp it. Admins will happily offer control or ask for prayers to replace them.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #149196

killerx09 wrote:For context, we had a captain who rushed up to an ayyyyy with a baton, only to get baton-ed by the ayyyyyy first. He then proceeded to ghost before the ayyyyyys got the chance to disect him, and later popped up in OOC about how he can opt out of the game anytime he wants, how ayyyyyyy probes were considered nonconsensial (E)RP, and how ayyyyys were in the "magical realm" that he would choose not to participate.

I just told him that ghosting as a head or captain is punishable without proper reasons, and got on with the next round.
To be completely fair, the ayys in question were doing weird shit like forced sex changes -- but on the other hand, that's not really out of line with stuff you might expect to happen during an alien abduction. I feel like I've put more thought into this than it requires.

(This has been handled, for the record.)
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #149249

imblyings wrote:I'd rather abductors just be able to get points from catatonic/braindead people, as the neatest solution involving no headaches.
Because some people just want to piss their knickers.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #149327

I don't even understand why you'd ghost unless you're that much of a prick. Abductors return you to the station, they literally have to to get points. Aside from just getting bad implant, the worst that can happen is they drop you somewhere you don't have access, or someplace that's lethal (like the atmos tanks) which I'd argue is worth an abductor ban if you're killing your abductees.

If the Abductors are wasting time or doing ERP emotes then just ahelp it and watch them get gibbed. If someone ghosts after being abducted ban them. It's that simple.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #149329

keep in mind there's a difference between "erp surgery" and "changing every visual aspect of someone so when you toss them back on station nobody knows who they are and are vomiting spiders"

one is creepy, one is a funny gimmick for abductors
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #149330

You don't get to choose where they go. After you stuff em with a new organ and put em in the microwave they pop back on the arrivals shuttle.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #149335

Even better, that makes the old person seemingly disappear and get replaced with the new one.
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #149338

Saegrimr wrote:You don't get to choose where they go. After you stuff em with a new organ and put em in the microwave they pop back on the arrivals shuttle.
Did this change? I guess last time I was abductor/got abducted they got sent back to where ever the teleporter was set, that was about six months ago and I never ever see abductors anymore. Just a perk to being a ligger I guess, nobody wants your liver.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #149446

They're not even main round antags so what's the big deal if someone ghosts when they get abducted? It doesn't ruin the round for anyone but themselves.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #149450

People shouldn't ghost when cuffed by sec either
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #149453

Tsaricide wrote:They're not even main round antags so what's the big deal if someone ghosts when they get abducted? It doesn't ruin the round for anyone but themselves.
Specifically once it becomes a pattern of behaviour the abductors don't get any points for ghosted victims, so they can't complete their objectives. At least when you're sec and someone ghosts it just means no more problems for you.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #149469

Wouldn't the simplest solution give ayyliens a 180 byond tick timer after someone ghosts for it to not count for anything?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #149494

Or just make braindeads count. It'll give ayys an incentive to abduct a bunch of braindeads so they can observe the effects of their organs.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #149530

Zilenan91 wrote:Or just make braindeads count. It'll give ayys an incentive to abduct a bunch of braindeads so they can observe the effects of their organs.
last time i played abductor braindeads counted
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #149555

They've never counted for points. You could always send htem and put organs in them, but they've never counted for points.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #149571

Would it be feasible to let abductors put ghosts/observers into braindead bodies? Maybe it's not quite as simple as just changing how abductors earn points, but I think it would lead to more interesting situations in game.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #149628

Konork wrote:Would it be feasible to let abductors put ghosts/observers into braindead bodies? Maybe it's not quite as simple as just changing how abductors earn points, but I think it would lead to more interesting situations in game.
Check to see if the mob's ckey is null and if so, snag a ghost? Would be interesting for sure.

Might also result in them abducting a locker full of braindead clones and shitting a torrent of identical semi-antags onto the station from deadchat. Fund it.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #149629

Cheimon wrote:
Tsaricide wrote:They're not even main round antags so what's the big deal if someone ghosts when they get abducted? It doesn't ruin the round for anyone but themselves.
Specifically once it becomes a pattern of behaviour the abductors don't get any points for ghosted victims, so they can't complete their objectives. At least when you're sec and someone ghosts it just means no more problems for you.
But they're side antags so their green text means nothing.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #149633

Tsaricide wrote:But they're side antags so their green text means nothing.
That wont stop them from releasing the singularity.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #149640

But they're side antags so their green text means nothing.
I really have no clue what you're saying here. Why they greentext means nothing because they're side antags?
Bring back papercult.

Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #149652

Tsaricide wrote:But they're side antags so their green text means nothing.
Doesn't stop crew from validing them every chance they get. Antag is antag, green-text is green-text.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #149657

I mean, greentext doesn't mean anything more to a main antag than a side antag. It's an entirely vague concept. It doesn't mean more to a traitor than it does to an abductor. If you're saying greentext should never be an argument for policy changes around antags, fair enough, but I think most people would disagree.

Making catatonics and braindeads work for abductors presents two problems: first, abductors will get a bunch of monkeymen from genetics, so they can win without experiencing danger, and second, braindeads don't fight back, removing any tension from abduction visits.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #149658

If you're enough of a salty baby to ghost out of spite when being abducted to deny them points, and THEN claim it was 'nonconsensial rp (what even???)', you probably don't need to be playing at all.

Just ban people who do it and point-n-laugh at anyone who tries to appeal it. We already punish people who ghost/suicide directly after being converted, so why not these people?
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #149749

Horrifically bad sportsmanship. Shit like this makes me not want to play more than the sporadic amount that i show up currently.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #149783

Honestly, ghosting should be removed because it does two things bad:

a) allows people to 'spectate' when the round isn't going the way they want, allowing them to stay connected and enjoy the game even if it means dicking over antags that might be trying to convert them (cults, malf, shadowling, ayylmaos)
b) is easily deflectable if an admin wants to ban someone: "you can't force me to play as an antag i don't like playing!"

Admins should never FORCE people to play, but if someone doesn't want to play, they can just close the game because it doesn't dick over antags that need conversion points like ayys.

I'm sure there's a reason we have kept ghosting/catatonic for all these years, but we have a big enough to playerbase to justify not just straight up allowing people to be like 'lol i want to spectate now fuck u haha xd' :sad:
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #149796

Got converted to a mode you don't like? It's super easy to ahelp: "yo can you replace me, i hate playing X". Or even better, request a ban in that gamemode so you get automatically replaced.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #149822

>Trying to force people to play the game

CHRIST STOP THIS, WE LITERALLY CANNOT ENFORCE IT PEOPLE JUST DISCONNECT
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #149833

oranges wrote:>Trying to force people to play the game

we can't stop them from NOT playing the game

but we CAN stop them from "lol gonna ghost to deny the greentexts and then roll event antag and play some more :^)"
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #149836

...so?

You don't lose anything by leaving the game if you're not having fun, there's no penalty unless you're in a command role mostly, and if you're an antag you usually get replaced if an admin sees you being braindead for too long and nothing is going on, so again the question is:

Why do we allow people, who don't want to get converted to antags like rev/cult/abuductee, to ghost and give a virtual middle finger to someone who put in the effort to capture them?

Sure you could say 'maybe they don't like playing that' but a large part of SS13 is the variety and circumstances rounds go through. If you don't like that, play a different game. That IS something we can enforce, instead of dumbing down the game to let people choose the exact little game experience they want to have by removing the lethality, danger, and every other dynamic aspect of the game's antag system. /tg/'s playerbase especially has lost the point of ss13 through the years, and that is 'playing the job you signed up for isn't the point of the game, it's the situations that come from that'. That's why we have jobs like bartender and chef that could be replaced by fucking vending machines for a smoother gameplay experience. The chef has a gibber and the bartender has a fucking shotgun.

You're shooting yourself in the foot either way. Let's make it a bloody mess.

tl;dr ghosting is a shit, archaic feature that should be used for debugging. nobody can straight up go catatonic at will and it ruins the gameplay when we have to balance shit around it like spectator antag opt-ins and ayy lmao points.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #153488

I was scared of being abducted by ayys as a wee lad you have no idea how traumatic this shit is to me if I appear as ghosted it's because I threw my PC outta the window and then followed it like seriously
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #153669

Ghosting is fine and should stay, I don't even get how someone can make a case to remove it.
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #153673

iamgoofball wrote:

but we CAN stop them from "lol gonna ghost to deny the greentexts and then roll event antag and play some more :^)"
Is there any way to code in a little tidbit that prevents respawns if a person ghosted while alive? If they actually died or committed suicide, fine, but if they ghosted the game should actively prevent them from getting back into the round via drones, swarmers, xenos and any other spawn.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #153676

Davidchan wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

Is there any way to code in a little tidbit that prevents respawns if a person ghosted while alive? If they actually died or committed suicide, fine, but if they ghosted the game should actively prevent them from getting back into the round via drones, swarmers, xenos and any other spawn.
No, because then sec will buckle-straightjacket-morphine-N2O traitors leaving the traitor's only options as ghost or disconnect
Which is shit, by the way. The valid hunting attitude should never go that far OOC.
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #153686

If anything abductor scoring should change. There is a difference between a catatonic humans and humaned monkeys right? If so just let them score brain dead and catonics.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #153703

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Davidchan wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

No, because then sec will buckle-straightjacket-morphine-N2O traitors leaving the traitor's only options as ghost or disconnect
Which is shit, by the way. The valid hunting attitude should never go that far OOC.
If the AI wasn't such a bitch about executions that wouldn't be a problem.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #153707

Malkevin wrote:If the AI didn't follow its laws, that wouldn't be a problem.
Fixed that for you.

Maybe if you ghost, someone else gets offered control of your body?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #153754

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Davidchan wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

My god. The idea of not getting to play in the round anymore if you got caught by sec as the bad guy?

Dear god!
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #153850

it's less that and more that it's borderline metagaming/grudging
ICly, sec doesnt know that if a traitor ghosts he could maybe potentially come back as a side antag if RNG shines on him.
Spoiler:
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #154007

Yeah, I'm 99% certain that your example is against the rules, leaving a person bucklecuffed and N2O'd, let alone how extreme that example is. This is /tg/ if sec thinks they have a valid they will kill said valid the first chance they get. Worst case scenario if they didn't want someone coming back as a side antag they'd borg said traitor or throw them in perma and keep a close eye on them. Putting someone in perpetual stasis definitely falls under Rule #1.

And if you don't like someone wasting your time and wasting 10-20 minutes of a round by doing such dickish behavior, then don't do it to Abductors or antags who need to capture people. It's the exact same principal, they put in some amount of effort to get you, they succeeded, and you're going to cheese it by ghosting on the spot? I'd be full support for Ding Dong Bannu.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #154030

Just let abductors score braindeads and catatonics like the first thing I thought when I heard they couldn't is that it could be abused and here it has been.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #154773

iamgoofball wrote:keep in mind there's a difference between "erp surgery" and "changing every visual aspect of someone so when you toss them back on station nobody knows who they are and are vomiting spiders"

one is creepy, one is a funny gimmick for abductors
A little creepyness isn't always bad for the game.

I get TG will never be a scary server or even codebase, but this is definitely one of the reasons. Horror involves being forcefully taken outside your comfort zone, not exactly possible if we create rules so everybody can stay in their safe space without getting triggered; smh fam.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"