Cult

Malkevin

Cult

Post by Malkevin » #12282

One of the biggest complaints about cult that I see is that people don't work together.
Now I've seen rounds where cultists do work together and it works good.

Codewise you've got enough cultists about the place that you should have enough to gather together, and communication is a piece of piss as you can freely privately communicate via your tome from the get go.

I've basically done everything I can to make team work easy.
If people aren't working together its because they're terrible players that rambo it and do it solo.

If a player isn't capable of standing around a rune for five seconds they don't deserve the privilege of being a round start cultist.
If a player refuses to work with his team he should be antag banned, just like you can be be banned from nuke ops for soloing off the shuttle and screwing your team over.

Bottom line is code can't fix bad players, but admin policies can weed out the chaff.
cultist-chan
Byond Username: Corruptroulette

Re: Cult

Post by cultist-chan » #12283

Are you saying:
"Bad cultists should be banned"
or
"Cultists deliberately sabotaging cult rounds" should be banned?
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #12284

The issue with this is that a big part of cultists is conversion, which means you will always end up with assholes who fuck everything up the second they get their free antag card.

Nuke OPs doesn't have this issue so it makes sense to ban for assholes ruining everything, but it's a finer line in cult rounds.

I agree though that roundstart cultists that fuck around should be antag banned though.

Overall the key to cult in my opinion is a better concise wiki page in order to bring everyone up to speed quickly on what they should and could be doing.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #12297

I'd argue the bare minimum obligation for a cultist should be to stand around a nar-sie rune when one is made and someone is saying to stand around it.

Beyond that, you're trying to enforce competency or robustness and gl with that.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #12339

The problem is where you draw the line between incompetence and straight-up maliciousness. Nuke ops don't get banned for accidentally spacing themselves, revs don't get banned for getting caught flashing, because people understand that everyone fucks up, and it doesn't mean they're trying to screw someone over / be a dick.

That said it is and always has been bannable for cultists to actively attack or rat out their fellow members.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #12348

cultist-chan wrote:Are you saying:
"Bad cultists should be banned"
or
"Cultists deliberately sabotaging cult rounds" should be banned?
Both, the latter are cunts and deserve a game ban too. The former, when they set cult to 'yes' they're acknowledging that they know how cult works well enough to get it off the ground, its not really asking much to quickly skim the guide (even out dated most of it was still relevant) and atleast make an effort to communicate and a token effort to work with others.

We can't make players be better players but we can stop them fucking things up from the outset
CreationPro
Byond Username: Solar Marine

Post by CreationPro » #12367

We are not banning people for incompetence and never will.
terranaut wrote:Scared? My stand 「CLOWN WORLD」 and it's 「FUNNY COMPANY」will defeat your weak stand in moments.
Terry the Moth, Melody Jean the roboticist and S.O.L. the cyborg.
I will not change my avatar but if I did I'd have this good KVADRATNIY boy.
Spoiler:
IkeTG wrote:love is okay
CreationPro wrote: i love you
IkeTG wrote:love is no longer okay
Old quotes and stuff
Spoiler:
obscolene wrote:I super glued my PC case shut please don't ask why.
<Pretendo> well Ia ksed in banbus
<AurxSS13> IA KSED! IA KSED! THE BLACK TYPO WITH A THOUSAND ERRORS!

<scaredofshadows> I randomly take buttons away from people
<scaredofshadows> because I am now rogue
<hornygranny> host is rouge
<Ikarrus> blow the admins
trytryagain66 wrote: I accidently axed a guy said I was sorry to him, then he punched me so I axed his head off.
Hibbles wrote:Man, I love CP. I wish we had more CP on the server.
Antonkr wrote:<antonkr> tfw you will never lick hg|works delicious sexy mustache
<antonkr> ;_;
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #12381

CreationPro wrote:We are not banning people for incompetence and never will.
Except that we already do, I gave nuke ops as an example in the OP.

We would also ban revs for not following rev head orders but rev is too chaotic to enforce that.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #12391

Malkevin wrote:

We would also ban revs for not following rev head orders but rev is too chaotic to enforce that.
Solo nuke ops might be the sign of a bad player, but it's more of a "this guy's an asshole" kind of bad than a "this guy has no idea what he's doing" one. They're (usually) incompetent assholes, but they're banned for that second part, not the first.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #12395

The only team antag ban I can think of having to be applied for repeatedly ramboing and fucking his teams over because he's a selfish player is Tsaricide (bombing station as a cultist, heading to the station alone wordlessly as a nuke op and ruining their rounds twice).

Most people are fuckups on accident, not on purpose.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #12400

The two differentiating factors, basically, are malice and purposefulness.

Suppose Leeroy Jenkins, the Syndicate Operative, forgets to turn on his internals and dies in space. Not on purpose, not malicious, not bannable.
Suppose Leeroy Jenkins, the Syndicate Operative, rambo's in and gets himself killed and screws over the rest of the nuke ops as a result. May or may not be malicious, but definitely on purpose.
Suppose Leeroy Jenkins, the Syndicate Operative, steals the disk and then presents it to the captain saying "I SURRENDER, I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT, THE NUKE OPS SHUTTLE IS THIS WAY." Obviously malicious, obviously bannable.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #12432

Malkevin wrote:Except that we already do, I gave nuke ops as an example in the OP.

Because everybody has to be experienced from the start. No matter that to get that experience you actually have to, oh, I don't know, play?

Banning anybody for being bad at the game is just ridiculous.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #12489

Malkevin wrote:

No we don't and no we wouldn't, rev heads are fine and all but it comes down to the revs doing all the work, all they have to do is flash away and let the violence be done, rev heads exist to convert people and stay alive, them doing the hard work is optional

Bad ops aren't banned, assholes ops are

If you want to fix cult bring back one man conversions and 3 man sacrifices
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #12514

The way I see it, we don't job ban shitty ops or shitty engineers is because you have to play to learn.

But cult? You can still learn from being a converted cult, round start cults are special, and those who set it to yes should at least know how to summon a tome, scribe a rune, use tome and innate communicate, and convert.

They don't have to know how to be good, but if they don't know those basics, and they set cult to yes, then well, yes, I can see the argument that that yes should be forcefully changed to no via a cult job ban.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #12604

My bane is stupid blobs that have no idea what they are doing I don't see how this is different. I fully support restricting round start cultists they have a specific job to do for getting the round started and some people are just not suitable.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #12637

MrStonedOne wrote:The way I see it, we don't job ban shitty ops or shitty engineers is because you have to play to learn.
Literally false. Write better guides. Observe with ghosting. Take notes.

People who use 'I'm new that's why I'm bad and won't follow instructions' as an excuse to be shit or completely ruin a strategy are awful and should untick antag until they've watched a few successful antag rounds, seriously.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #12651

paprika wrote:
MrStonedOne wrote:The way I see it, we don't job ban shitty ops or shitty engineers is because you have to play to learn.
Literally false. Write better guides. Observe with ghosting. Take notes.

People who use 'I'm new that's why I'm bad and won't follow instructions' as an excuse to be shit or completely ruin a strategy are awful and should untick antag until they've watched a few successful antag rounds, seriously.
Forcing people to observe in order to be antags is fucking retarded. Not only observing is boring and takes a lot of time, it also doesn't show you jack shit about what people are actually doing.

"Write better guides"
oh god why
Deuce

Post by Deuce » #12665

ya ban the players who aren't put off by the bad interface and frustrating game mechanics and terrible community for not being as good as veterans
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #12670

The only way a player can get good at a antag role is to play that role, unfortunately we lack a in game playable tutorial system as such your literally thrown in the deep end.

The only viable solution I can think of is a combination of a good, condensed guide to antag roles, and more importantly a offline tutorial system teaching the basics of every antag role for a player to do in their own time.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #12681

A dedicated training server, where players could join and have an experienced player walk them through whatever they needed would solve the issues, assuming it didn't get completely ignored.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #12682

Time limits

To

Antag roles

You have to wait three weeks to be a captain, but you can be nuke op, wizard and blob in your first round. Really.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #12688

Who cares if you are gonna be playing nuke ops for the first time in three weeks or in three days? It's still gonna be the first time. Admittedly learning basic game mechanics is required, but still.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #12692

The point of a day played limit is so a player can at least have a chance to understand the basic game play mechanics, since when it comes to it you can have the most over powered antag abilities yet if you don't even know the nuances of the game, or how to use your radio, your not going to get far.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #12695

If you play a blob without seeing how anyone else plays it, you won't get too far.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #12706

It could be pretty unlikely that a 3 day old player will know how to use a jet pack to navigate space, its going to be pretty likely a three week old one will.

Same as the above with cult, a 3 day old player its pretty likely they've never seen cult in play let alone be one. a three week one probably has seen one and probably been converted atleast twice.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #12715

Sure, delay antags. But not for three weeks. One week? Few days?

It's not gonna make a huge difference either way, in my honest opinion. I'm yet to see somebody who cannot do even basic things as antag. I guess I couldn't see them traitoring, but then who cares?
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #12747

Kelenius wrote:Time limits

To

Antag roles

You have to wait three weeks to be a captain, but you can be nuke op, wizard and blob in your first round. Really.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #12821

To be fair, wizard, blob and nuke ops are well protected by limited number of slots available and high demand. I've been wizard like twice and blob once over the course of my entire career. It's highly unlikely to get such a role in the first round or even the first week, even if some stupid person won't listen to guides saying that they shouldn't play antags.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #12976

Lovecraft wrote:
Kelenius wrote:Time limits

To

Antag roles

:^)
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #13106

I have had so many bitter experiences with newcult, people are just fucking retarded. As well as the common headache of the round start cultist who reveals the cult by fucking making runes in public/not removing them after use/trying to kill the sac target in public with a cult blade and robes and the occasional round start cultist suicide, so many people seem mentally unable to grasp the concept of standing around a rune.

Seriously, the worst example was a round on sibyl, I had been researched all the words, made like, 20 stun and emp talismans and distributed them, I called for us to mass convert medbay since we were starting to get heat. We had FIVE cultists in medbay, and like 3 non cult in there with us. I got all the non cult emp'd and stunned, had a convert rune, and guess how it turned out? I could not convert a single fucking person. I got ONE person to stand by the rune, while I screamed non stop for cultists to drag fucks to the rune and stand around it. Instead cultists were dragging uncuffed dudes around aimlessly, making new runes for no reason or just pissing about. I ended up dead along with a couple of other cultists, and the rest got arrested.

I literally don't even bother with converting in new cult anymore, it's so much easier and hassle free to just turn people into constructs.

This is the problem with team antag modes, one guy can fuck it up for the rest of them, either intentionally, or just by being a retard/new, but is generally balanced/relies upon all of the team being reasonably competent.

And yes to time locked antags, at bare minimum it means they will have atleast a basic understanding of game mechanics, and ideally will mean that they will have seen other people in those antag roles, so they can get the gist of what to do.
Learning team antag roles is the sam as learning jobs as a newb, you ask someone else what to do, follow them around, and watch and learn.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #13126

Well, it is sibyl.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.