basil off the hub

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

basil off the hub

Post by oranges » #184510

why?

seems like it's killing the playerbase count on basil and will probably kill that server if it keeps up.

For example today at midday i checked and usually sybil/basil are around the same count, but sybil had ~70 players and basil had ~35
FranzKrake
Byond Username: FjKrake

Re: basil off the hub

Post by FranzKrake » #184535

We had games with 70+ Pop and they turned into a massive Clusterfuck. As the pop on Basil likes to see themselves as the cultivated, "light rp" crowd that slow-plays stuff more than Sybil and other chaotic servers, the High Council of Furries has decided to take Basil off the Hub to counteract this Chaos.

Personally, I didnt mind the hub, it brought in a random element, which is now gone and the regulars are kind of boring to be honest with you.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184536

I am glad just for the selfish reason that I enjoy playing at 40 to 35 pop the most and we were kind of loosing that
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #184538

I'm not sure if we can reach that without hub, to be honest.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184540

I mean we did yesterday a bunch
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #184553

Could kill the server again, over time. Perhaps quickly, maybe slowly. Then the clique shit will begin again with new intensity. Which will help kill it faster. Population is a snowball effect, anyhow; if you have more, you get more, because few people enjoy ten person rounds where you just sit there and do RnD until the heat death of the universe.
RIP
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #184561

Yeah basil as the cool club secondary server kills it; history has taught us this. HBL knows this probably better than anyone.

Sybil can survive by reputation alone without being on the hub or anything, but I don't think basil can.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #184562

Basil needs to be back on the hub or it'll die sooner than later.

That's the be all and end all, unless you want to enjoy the twilight moments before it's final death then it should go back on hub.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #184565

I'd prefer we go on and off the Hub in cycles, on the Hub to collect players then off for them to adapt and learn when the pop isn't so high.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #184566

Anonmare wrote:I'd prefer we go on and off the Hub in cycles, on the Hub to collect players then off for them to adapt and learn when the pop isn't so high.
Sort of a panic bunker NORMIES GET OUT REEEE cycle? yeah ok
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184568

Yeah, why not just put it on the hub when the pop starts to drop dangerously again? While we get some good players from there we also get a whole lot of shit ones. As much fun as it is dressing griefers in dresses and lipstick or gibbing them/turning them into crabs and then banning them it does get old after a time
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #184576

FranzKrake wrote:We had games with 70+ Pop and they turned into a massive Clusterfuck. As the pop on Basil likes to see themselves as the cultivated, "light rp" crowd that slow-plays stuff more than Sybil and other chaotic servers, the High Council of Furries has decided to take Basil off the Hub to counteract this Chaos.

Personally, I didnt mind the hub, it brought in a random element, which is now gone and the regulars are kind of boring to be honest with you.
so what you're saying is the metagang group whined the new players were interrupting their RP/circlejerk and got it taken off the hub?

we need to remove the cancer that is roleplayers
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #184577

Anonmare wrote:I'd prefer we go on and off the Hub in cycles, on the Hub to collect players then off for them to adapt and learn when the pop isn't so high.
stop doing this

stop using this conversion speak

its stupid and makes you look like a fucking cultist irl
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #184578

Hibbles wrote:Could kill the server again, over time. Perhaps quickly, maybe slowly. Then the clique shit will begin again with new intensity. Which will help kill it faster. Population is a snowball effect, anyhow; if you have more, you get more, because few people enjoy ten person rounds where you just sit there and do RnD until the heat death of the universe.
if basil got taken off the hub, it already happened
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #184607

Damn goofball is salty
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184611

Jesus fuck goof how on earth can you have such strong opinions about a server you do not even play on? Yes the hub gives us a lot of players, but a lot of them are blatant grief shitters. This makes rounds worse for everyone and creates an assload of work for admins to do. I cannot remember the last time i played or admined a round where i did not get a watchlist for metacomms bloop. In the short term the benefits were worth it and many good players have acclimatized to playing on tg but I do not see the harm in shutting off the shitter faucet for a while until we need to refuel on new players. Seriously, getting some J madison levels of PEOPLE BEING FRIENDS IC RUINED MY GAME REEEEEEE in your posts.

But by all means, continue to spout about how people having fun in a way you do not like in a server you do not play on is ruining the game.

Also

>We need to remove the roleplayers

Literal cancer
Last edited by Wyzack on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #184614

you signed up to clean out the shitters

do your job and stop complaining about having to do it

also, I have played basil, and hub players are way better than fucking dannos and miggles metacliques of the old days
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184615

I dunk shitters with pride but the fact is that once some nonantag shitter has ruined a round for someone it generally does not get unruined. This is not an issue once in a while but when it happens so god damn often it gets tiresome, more so for players that have to deal with the consequences than admins
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #184618

That's why rounds are short and we have a rule saying not everything is going to go well.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184620

But a good chunk of people who play basil do not care for the intensely short rounds of Sybil.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #184621

Tough luck. You go for longer rounds, you eat the consequences of rounds longer than what the game is programmed for.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184623

Look goof you can go ahead and bitch all you want but the fact of the matter is it was taken off the Hub for a reason (although i am not sure exactly who did it) and until we are once again strapped for players i hope it will stay this way. Server 2 has always played slightly differently than server 1 anyways.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #184624

>goof thinks he has an opinion
Time to hardcode 30 minutes rounds :^)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #184629

Goof has some strong opinions for someone who doesn't even play.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184632

rarely plays title when
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #184633

i demand niknak go pull connection logs
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #184641

iamgoofball wrote:i demand niknak go pull connection logs
"14 rounds" since sometime around february, which doesn't count how long you were in those rounds since I know how much you like to show up in the lobby and OOC some random epic video you found or a PR. I just did 3 screengrabs and added some pretty colors in.

http://i.imgur.com/Qtcy3Ps.png
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184643

Yeah he came on basil to post about his why I code thread just the other day, don't think he played but i might be wrong
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #184652

You people are shitting on goof but he's right. The game is not designed to go past 30 minutes. There is zero depth or things to do after that point.
I also don't know why Basil is off the hub. It's just going to die again.

Actually speaking of hubs, why not put Sybil on the hub? It'd be a neat change.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #184653

Zilenan91 wrote:The game is not designed to go past 30 minutes.
:^)
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #184654

I find 30 minute rounds awful and I dont think the game is designed around that timeframe. What you said is an opinion, not a fact, so don't say it as one. This game was never designed with a specific round length in time.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #184661

Gotta agree that 30 min rounds suck. Personally I think 45-60 min is just about right.

To me SS13 is all about a progression:
Everything is ok -> Minor fights, stupid shit, clown slips people -> major shenanigans, minor hull breaches, autism forts, etc -> everything is on fire

The round needs to be just long enough to have enough time to enjoy each stage. Too short and everything happens too fast. Everyone is dead 20 min in. Too long and you get one of two things. People get bored with autism projects and shenanigans that go on too long, then everyone is bored when the death of the station takes too long because something prevents shuttle calls. Or the round goes on too long and nothing happens. I feel like that's bad on the antags there. If it's 60 min into the round and nothing is on fire, and you're an antagonist, you need to be starting fires.

I also feel like short rounds are bad because less people get to be involved in the chaos before it just consumes everything. Everything blows up and is on fire way too fast. If the station is going to fall apart then it should at least take long enough for the crew to get to fight to survive in it, not just die instantly. In a normal round it's good for most of the crew to get involved in whatever round type it is in some way. Even if it's just the chef making a cake from brains that a traitor brings to him.
--Crocodillo

Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184665

NikNakFlak wrote:I find 30 minute rounds awful and I dont think the game is designed around that timeframe. What you said is an opinion, not a fact, so don't say it as one. This game was never designed with a specific round length in time.

I would go one step further and say this game was never really designed at all until """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""design""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""lead""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" Kor took the reigns, it has just been volunteer coders coding shit they like
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #184666

Damn, I probably looked this much like a deranged lunatic back in the badger days too huh?
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #184687

Yet the question of who exactly took bagil off the hub remains. Also, my most pessimistic pop estimate for today was wrong, but we shall see how the week goes.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184696

At about 40 players right now, and this is not exactly what i would call peak time
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #184703

Where's Longbowman? He's the king after all.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #184708

>Goof still hasn't posted after I dropped his connection log 20 minutes after he asks.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #184713

Goofball's hate of roleplayers is unjustified but does hint at what did used to be a serious problem wyzack, I don't know if you were here for the 'old server 2' when it was called sybil 2 but it was quite literally the definition of cliquey hugbox meme shit and peak hours were just a sandbox for retards to meme around in while talking on skype with their equally pathetic internet friends.

It actually killed the server and caused a fuckload of drama (that is largely irrelevant now) but at the time it was pretty cancer
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #184716

Saegrimr wrote:>Goof still hasn't posted after I dropped his connection log 20 minutes after he asks.
yo sorry i was taking a huge ass shit im back now
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #184717

I remember that. It sucked. I stopped playing for a bit after that. Still, the balance is achievable. The problem is that goofball fucking hates it.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #184718

paprika wrote:Goofball's hate of roleplayers is unjustified but does hint at what did used to be a serious problem wyzack, I don't know if you were here for the 'old server 2' when it was called sybil 2 but it was quite literally the definition of cliquey kickin' rad place to be meme shit and peak hours were just a sandbox for retards to meme around in while talking on skype with their equally pathetic internet friends.

It actually killed the server and caused a fuckload of drama (that is largely irrelevant now) but at the time it was pretty cancer
Yeah. I once got raided by a group of assistants all wordlessly communicating wearing matching outfits because I refused to serve them in cargo or some shit, idfk or remember. I have a note for screeching at them about being a shitty metafriend group though.

This was way before Gang was a thing and it wasn't a rev round.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #184720

paprika wrote:Goofball's hate of roleplayers is unjustified but does hint at what did used to be a serious problem wyzack, I don't know if you were here for the 'old server 2' when it was called sybil 2 but it was quite literally the definition of cliquey kickin' rad place to be meme shit and peak hours were just a sandbox for retards to meme around in while talking on skype with their equally pathetic internet friends.

I remember this all too well, because I frequently got admincomplaints when I showed up to ban them.

Good times. Good times.

I appearance banned two of them and they straight dropped the game for nearly a month before coming back.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #184721

yeah, that was another thing, ban one and their 50 buddies start making up shit to admincomplaint you about

couldn't get rid of them without a full purge

although when lifeweb released they all went there because they can't get banned for metagaming and they can get their creepy RP on
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #184723

yeah i'm gonna be real here I hate roleplayers because 99 times out of 100 it turns into that
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #184737

Find a new game.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #184738

NikNakFlak wrote:Find a new game.
you first
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #184740

iamgoofball wrote:yeah i'm gonna be real here I hate roleplayers because 99 times out of 100 it turns into that
Roleplay is absolutely fine up to the point where players start doing shit in groups EVERY ROUND.

I don't think I've ever raged harder back in 2014 when if you even touched a single person in the halls you had 3-4 of their buddies mob you in seconds.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #184743

Indeed, I like RP'ing, but if I'm honest I logged out of Basil today because someone I had never interacted with that round saved me from a sec search, patched me up and handed me a stolen taser because I healed them two rounds ago. That shit is not okay, it's not Roleplaying, it's blatant meta and I've had to re-do my character now.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #184744

Jazaen wrote:Yet the question of who exactly took bagil off the hub remains.
I believe that MSO removed the server from the hub to avoid the summer flood, I can only assume it will be back in the fall.

Also I think that I am the only person who complained about the hub after we started reaching 70+, or I was at least the only person who did it publicly.