Lethal Escalation Against Security

Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Lethal Escalation Against Security

Post by Tornadium » #194170

So I just wanted to check what is the current policy on this.

Just encountered an issue in a round where admins gave a player the go ahead to murder security and welder bomb the brig because their contraband was confiscated. Is this a thing now? I was under the impression that lethal force required sufficient escalation and a better reason than "They stole muh shit that I shouldn't have had in the first place AFTER I already broke a law and wasn't even brigged for it".
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: Lethal Escalation Against Security

Post by Wyzack » #194173

To clarify, i am the admin who made the call and the contraband in question was a tarot deck
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194180

Wyzack wrote:To clarify, i am the admin who made the call and the contraband in question was a tarot deck
You should probably also add that he was looking to trade the tarot deck for an emag with a known traitor, and also stole an emag from the contraband locker when he broke into the brig. Something he wasn't even brigged for.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #194184

So wait, when security takes my unloaded stetchkin that I get from the vault on metastation then I can start killing them?
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #194185

Tornadium wrote:lethal force required sufficient escalation and a better reason than "They stole muh shit that I shouldn't have had in the first place
If you perform any sort of escalation against security that ISN'T killing them then they'll execute/permabrig you.

It's reasonable to want to keep your magical space wizard artifact that can give you magical space wizard powers.

It's reasonable for security to not want you to have magical space wizard powers.
lol
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194186

So you're telling me immediate lethal escalation is kosher now for all crew who have shit they shouldnt have? Alright cool.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #194187

It was an IC conflict and i wanted it to remain IC. I considered telling them not to go lethal at all and realized that would be kind of dumb considering sec would unzip the valid baton posthaste regardless. Hell, you were the one bitching that there was not enough conflict outside of antag business on Basil. I strongly feel that admins do not need to enact OOC consequences for every damn thing. I told you to deal with it IC and you decided to storm off instead. Also i do love any time someone goes with the classic "X HAPPENED? I GUESS THEN I CAN DO Y OBVIOUSLY NOT ALLOWED THING NOW LOL THANKS ADMINS" sperge out
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194189

Wyzack wrote:It was an IC conflict and i wanted it to remain IC. I considered telling them not to go lethal at all and realized that would be kind of dumb considering sec would unzip the valid baton posthaste regardless. Hell, you were the one bitching that there was not enough conflict outside of antag business on Basil. I strongly feel that admins do not need to enact OOC consequences for every damn thing. I told you to deal with it IC and you decided to storm off instead. Also i do love any time someone goes with the classic "X HAPPENED? I GUESS THEN I CAN DO Y OBVIOUSLY NOT ALLOWED THING NOW LOL THANKS ADMINS" sperge out
You cannot apply rules subjectively based on the exact same circumstances.

That is literally the definition of a shitty system of law. Simply put you cannot give one player the go ahead to murder security for taking contraband and not allow other players to do the same and enforce a punishment. I actually was not the person saying there was not enough conflict on basil at all, so that is entirely irrelevant.

This was not an IC conflict, dude wanted to trade tarot cards for an emag. Dude broke into the brig and attempted to steal the emag so I took both and just kicked him out of the brig without any detaining. He then proceeds to come back and welder bomb the brig almost killing several crew and then proceeds to murderbone against security for doing their jobs.

I couldn't deal with it IC because my body was left in the hall, I had literally my uniform left and that was it. The rest of security was braindead and the armory was looted, HoP was braindead and the Captain had fucked off and hadn't been seen for nearly 30 minutes. So by the time I even get cloned I can't even get a replacement ID woooo yeah I can totally get revenge on a dude who now has half the armory on him.

So I'm super fucking confused here, Are you telling me any action taken against security should be considered acceptable if lethal action is taken simply because there is a risk security will "unzip the valid baton" despite the person being clearly in the wrong and having attempted to steal syndicate items from the brig?

Are you fucking shitting me?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #194190

Good thing this is a fucking video game and not a court of law. If a headmin wants to come slap me on the wrist or deadmin me or something they can feel free, but i am not getting in to an autistic shouting match over this
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194191

Wyzack wrote:Good thing this is a fucking video game and not a court of law. If a headmin wants to come slap me on the wrist or deadmin me or something they can feel free, but i am not getting in to an autistic shouting match over this
This isn't an autistic shouting match, this is me asking for clarification regarding rule precedence and reasoning for enforcement.

Your current justification goes against all the precedence I know, We literally banned people like Burer for that kind of shit.

As an admin you are still held to a level of standard, Just saying "Nah it's a video game" doesn't justify being entirely unfair in your enforcement of established rules. Nothing in this case in any way justifies lethal escalation, at least to my knowledge. I've seen people banned for going on valid sprees because someone stole their items, welder bombing multiple people to get one target who stole a fucking item from them. The behavior was shitty and I would like to know what in this specific instance made a player breaking into the brig to steal antagonist items (Who was not punished at all outside of having the contraband taken) 100% A-OK to start a war against sec. A war which included welder bombing of the brig causing hull breaches and nearly killing a few members of crew and then hunting security in the halls.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #194192

Wyzack wrote:It was an IC conflict and i wanted it to remain IC. I considered telling them not to go lethal at all and realized that would be kind of dumb considering sec would unzip the valid baton posthaste regardless. Hell, you were the one bitching that there was not enough conflict outside of antag business on Basil. I strongly feel that admins do not need to enact OOC consequences for every damn thing. I told you to deal with it IC and you decided to storm off instead. Also i do love any time someone goes with the classic "X HAPPENED? I GUESS THEN I CAN DO Y OBVIOUSLY NOT ALLOWED THING NOW LOL THANKS ADMINS" sperge out
Comparing two analogous things together isn't a sperge out, but there's obviously more to this than I thought when I made my comment.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194193

Raven776 wrote:
Comparing two analogous things together isn't a sperge out, but there's obviously more to this than I thought when I made my comment.
There really isn't, Dude had Contraband. He attempted to steal more contraband by breaking into the brig.

The contraband was then taken and no punishment handed out.

It literally would be the same as the situation you described. The precedence here is, if security takes shit you shouldn't have for a good reason you can go lethal.
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #194203

The important thing here is precedent.

~Trigger warning, le slippery slope meme ahead~
The waters have really been muddied by an admin allowing him to murderbone sec for pretty much no reason.
People can use this example as easy justifications for them lethally attacking sec after receiving small punishments.

I'm also worried about sec in this hypothetical situation.
Their only reasonable defense to this kind of retalition is to just outright murderbone themselves, so it all goes downhill from here, potentially.

I really do not agree with Wyzack's decision to allow this.
Honestly this sounds like it belongs in admin complaints more than anything, up to you Tornadium.

If the complaint fails then maybe then its time for this policy discussion, as clearly something has changed and I'll just have to execute every shitter instead of glorious telegulag.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #194215

> murderboning sec as nonantag is okay, username, do exactly that!

Why the fuck did you think it was the right decision?
Bring back papercult.

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #194224

Security threads
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Eaglendia
Byond Username: Eaglendia

Post by Eaglendia » #194226

Tornadium wrote:So you're telling me immediate lethal escalation is kosher now for all crew who have shit they shouldnt have? Alright cool.
Why do you always do this?
╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
Millian MacTavish • Braids Grenades • Eliott Graves • Tyrell Stone
In-game trialmin; certified boomer.
Be rational, be responsible, and be excellent to eachother.
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Trialmin ReviewAlways better, never perfect.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #194228

Because they are a cancerous player
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #194230

I was dissapointed and confused when tornadium got unbanned from security. He was always terrible.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194233

Eaglendia wrote:
Tornadium wrote:So you're telling me immediate lethal escalation is kosher now for all crew who have shit they shouldnt have? Alright cool.
Why do you always do this?
I'm guessing you've ever heard of hyperbole or making a sarcastic comment to point out the idiocy in what someone is saying huh.

Well let me explain what I meant in words you might understand. A situation like the one we have here is an extremely shitty precedent to set. In this circumstance we have literally no confrontation escalation, We have no reasoning or threat to a player that justifies starting a personal war against security either. Just some dude who had shit he shouldn't have had, attempted to steal more shit he shouldn't have had from the brig (Traitor gear) and got it taken away. Now usually I'd have just brigged the dude and confiscated it but I just took the contraband and let him go.

The justification here is that if he did anything against security they might "unzip their valid baton". The admin literally thinks it's okay to go straight to murder and using fuel tanks to welder bomb areas of the station because there is a chance security MIGHT kill them for it. Why is this suddenly a unique case for security? A random assistant is just as likely to jump to valids and murder you if you fuck with them but I'm pretty sure we don't just allow for random instant murder. Why ban people on countless occasions for failure to escalate correctly only to set a precedent of "Yeah you can just do whatever against security because they might just kill you if they catch you".

I mean I'd maybe understand if someone was being a massive turbo shit and throwing someone in the gulag or permabrig for literally no reason on top of beating them or something but this was literally a case of the person in question being entirely 100% in the wrong, getting off without any real punishment outside of the equipment stolen and the holo confiscated. What's to stop me from doing the same if security confiscate my improvised shotgun as an assistant? Am I fully justified to start attacking officers on sight, killing and looting them and welder bombing the brig?
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194234

NikNakFlak wrote:Because they are a cancerous player
See above post,

What about using sarcasm and hyperbole to point out flaws and contradictions in a situation such as this constitutes cancerous behavior.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #194264

InsaneHyena wrote:> murderboning sec as nonantag is okay, username, do exactly that!

Again I find myself agreeing with this guy.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #194267

I take their tool belt.

They take my life.

Nice precedent.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #194301

Wyzack wrote:Also i do love any time someone goes with the classic "X HAPPENED? I GUESS THEN I CAN DO Y OBVIOUSLY NOT ALLOWED THING NOW LOL THANKS ADMINS" sperge out
InsaneHyena wrote:> murderboning sec as nonantag is okay, username, do exactly that!

Steelpoint wrote:I take their tool belt.

They take my life.

Nice precedent.

6. In-game administration rulings are final.
Incidences of admin abuse, negligence or disputed rulings can be taken to the forums. If an admin says something was 'looked into, handled, resolved' etc, regarding an issue, it is unlikely an admin will provide any further information. Admins are under no obligation to reveal IC information. Deliberately lying or misrepresenting facts in adminhelps will be dealt with harshly. Promises or threats to use an admin ruling to grief or otherwise misbehave in the future merit an on the spot permaban.

Tread carefully. Precedent doesn't exist. Everybody involved needs to fuck off.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #194303

We have 40 different volunteers policing just over a thousand rounds per month in a game with near limitless possibilities. Not every admin decision is going to be exactly consistent nor is every decision a precedent.
IrishWristWatch0
Byond Username: IrishWristWatch0

Post by IrishWristWatch0 » #194306

Wow you could sum up all of this garbage with just the first two rules. How fun.

╔═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╗
<Shaps> I still firmly believe a drunk kor is more responsible than a sober irish
Zoey Webb(Firecage): Irish. You can break any coherent discussion by mentioning 2 words
420weedscopes: I once proposed to a girl with my dick in her ass
Lzimann's best friend.
° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  ° ○ • .  .:  ★  ¸ .¸ ☆ ☾ °
╚═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╝
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #194309

You do realise that making rulings like this actually encourages security to unzip their valid baton?

Think about it, look at the facts.
1. He had contraband
2. He was looking to trade said contraband for traitor contraband.
3. He breaks into the armory to steal the traitor contraband

By precedence Point 3 gives Tornadium full rights to execute the guy on the spot, end of.
But he decides not to execute him, not to even brig him, just take the shit he stole and kicked him out.
Quite literally letting him off with the lightest punishment he can get.

Naturally no good deeds goes unpunished and the guy not only takes revenge but does so with the full blessing on an admin...

Now if I was there instead of Tornadium the guy would've been zipped off to the gulag to take a nice hot bath, and I'd feel completely justified in doing so because of the scenario which actually did happen instead.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #194313

Do you want to know the best part about all this. When it came up in game, i did a little more looking in to it. Originally i did not know about the emag. I am not certain i would have made the call any differently but the fact remains i made the call on incomplete information. I apologized to Tornadium for making a potentially bad call and told him he could seek his justice IC. Then i guess he got mad that i was not going to i guess ban the guy for doing what I said he could do and now we have this thread.

@Malkavin if you had done that I probably would have encouraged the miner to deal with it IC however they could. I am not biased against security by any means, before this whole shitstorm happened i told a guy who ahelped over sec killing him when he escaped from prison and saxxed around into the armory that it was valid.

Tl:DR Deal with your problems IC, this is a fucking video game, play it
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #194314

IrishWristWatch0 wrote:Wow you could sum up all of this garbage with just the first two rules. How fun.

fully accountable fully accountable fully accountable

Sad state of affairs when admins don't have the attention span to read through the text of rule 0 beyond WHEE I CAN DO ANYTHING!

Sayings it's just a game cuts both ways if the game is trivial so is the position of the admin involved in administrating that game. Axe em.
Saegrimr wrote:6. In-game administration rulings are final.
Promises or threats to use an admin ruling to grief or otherwise misbehave in the future merit an on the spot permaban.

This is literally the most retarded section for the rules and just snaps the heads off innocent laymen for assuming real life legal precedence (taught in school heard in news part of popular culture whatever) is workable in the inky black mess we call a game.

It adds up to basically yelling YOU CAN'T TALK TO ME I TAKE EVERYTHING LITERALLY.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194315

6. In-game administration rulings are final.
Incidences of admin abuse, negligence or disputed rulings can be taken to the forums. If an admin says something was 'looked into, handled, resolved' etc, regarding an issue, it is unlikely an admin will provide any further information. Admins are under no obligation to reveal IC information. Deliberately lying or misrepresenting facts in adminhelps will be dealt with harshly. Promises or threats to use an admin ruling to grief or otherwise misbehave in the future merit an on the spot permaban.

Good thing I didn't promise to grief or threaten to use a ruling to misbehave in the future then huh, Making a sarcastic point to show the idiocy of someones statement is not a threat nor is it a promise.
Kor wrote:We have 40 different volunteers policing just over a thousand rounds per month in a game with near limitless possibilities. Not every admin decision is going to be exactly consistent nor is every decision a precedent.
Rulings should be consistent with the established precedents and rulesets unless there is a specific event('s) which alter the ruling. In this incident was there any reason at all to justify a non-antag murderboner? Like any at all that you can come up with?

Edit: I'll make it easier actually, even before you bring the fact that he broke into the brig to steal traitor contraband that he was trying to trade for into the equation. Was even confiscating contraband such as Holoparas or whatever a justification for murder boner and a war against security? Making holes the in the station and nearly killing other crew members?
IrishWristWatch0

Post by IrishWristWatch0 » #194317

Don't make sarcastic fucking shit in something you want taken seriously.
<Shaps> I still firmly believe a drunk kor is more responsible than a sober irish
Zoey Webb(Firecage): Irish. You can break any coherent discussion by mentioning 2 words
Lzimann's best friend.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194318

IrishWristWatch0 wrote:Don't make sarcastic fucking shit in something you want taken seriously.
Sorry I thought it was rather obvious I was being sarcastic because of the ridiculousness of the point being made.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #194321

i was only k-kidding guys
just a p-prank
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194322

Wyzack wrote:Do you want to know the best part about all this. When it came up in game, i did a little more looking in to it. Originally i did not know about the emag. I am not certain i would have made the call any differently but the fact remains i made the call on incomplete information. I apologized to Tornadium for making a potentially bad call and told him he could seek his justice IC. Then i guess he got mad that i was not going to i guess ban the guy for doing what I said he could do and now we have this thread.
Wait you still think it's kosher for someone to break into the brig to try to steal traitor gear and then use that as justification for a non-antag murder spree?

I don't....What?

Yes you did apologize, I still feel this needs to be brought to the forums and discussed so we are fully aware if this is the correct course of action because if people can go on murder boners because I confiscate shit then things will need changed in security policy to allow for some kind of way to deal with it.

It's just kill baiting, Take shit you shouldn't have and when security takes it from you (according to this precedent being set) you are fully justified to start your own personal burer war.
Last edited by Tornadium on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194323

Saegrimr wrote:i was only k-kidding guys
just a p-prank
I'm not sure who that was directed at but please grow up Saeg.

You can assume intend and try to pin shit like that on me all you want, just do it somewhere that isn't derailing the point of the thread thanks.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #194324

Tornadium wrote:because if people can go on murder boners because I confiscate shit then things will need changed in security policy to allow
Tornadium wrote:please grow up Saeg.
This is fucking golden.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194326

Saegrimr wrote:
Tornadium wrote:because if people can go on murder boners because I confiscate shit then things will need changed in security policy to allow
Tornadium wrote:please grow up Saeg.
This is fucking golden.
Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot to finish that sentence.
IrishWristWatch0

Post by IrishWristWatch0 » #194327

How long is this thread going to go on before everyone hates themselves and nothing comes out of it?
Lzimann's best friend.
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #194329

I mean, Tornadium asks a pretty good question if you can look past the him being Tornadium and shitting everything up bit.

What can you/are you supposed to do to security that takes your super magical fun toy away that you got from an away mission/mining/whatever knowing that if you try to get it back they'll likely perma/execute/whatever you if you try to get it back?
lol
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #194330

IrishWristWatch0 wrote:How long is this thread going to go on before everyone hates themselves and nothing comes out of it?
More like how long is this thread going to continue before someone bans tornadium from the game
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194331

tedward1337 wrote:
IrishWristWatch0 wrote:How long is this thread going to go on before everyone hates themselves and nothing comes out of it?
More like how long is this thread going to continue before someone bans tornadium from the game
Ban me for raising a legitimate concern.

Sounds legit.
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #194333

Tor, I have very little patience for forum lawyers.
You're one of them.
Just play the game, and enjoy it. If you want to bitch and moan about admins and their decisions take it somewhere else. You need to stop creating policy "discussions" in which you trash an admins decision and claim that you were "making a sarcastic joke"
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #194334

tedward1337 wrote:Tor, I have very little patience for forum lawyers.
You're one of them.
Just play the game, and enjoy it. If you want to bitch and moan about admins and their decisions take it somewhere else. You need to stop creating policy "discussions" in which you trash an admins decision and claim that you were "making a sarcastic joke"
Re-read the thread.

I was being sarcastic in response to a player comment, not an admin ruling ( I still think the ruling is idiocy hence the thread but still).

The policy discussion forum is literally for discussing policy, this is a grey area that needs to be addressed. Everything about this event goes against my understanding of the current implementation of the ruleset and our policy tendencies. Why even have this sub forum if you're not going to use it to make clarifications on policy?
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #194335

There are multiple subjective justifications for actions in this game, many of which are opposed to each other despite their own legitimacy. Everything is also considered on a case by case basis and no amount of forum threads will change this.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.