Duty of The Captain

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Duty of The Captain

Post by iamgoofball » #199249

More info available here, just splitting this bit off into a separate policy discussion thread
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7391

My one sole duty as Captain is "protect the disk". What else am I supposed to do? Just sit around and do nothing while armored up loaded with guns in security waiting to get my valids on? I find it really dumb that we give the captain tools to do stuff like run gimmicks with Station Names, Captain's Announcements, Cross-Station Messages, and many other fun tools, yet don't allow him to be anything but a loot pinata, if this ban is setting any precedent.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Duty of The Captain

Post by DemonFiren » #199251

I'd say gimmicks are okay, shitty ones are not.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #199253

Supreme Court Justice Stewart, probably wrote:I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["shitty captain gimmicks"], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the gimmick involved in this case is not that (as long as you don't do that every round)
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #199255

DemonFiren wrote:I'd say gimmicks are okay, shitty ones are not.
Then what makes a gimmick shitty?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #199264

This is literally the same as the gimmick thread, you could just merge them together this is silly.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #199268

There are lots of things that are funny the first time, then painfully unfunny the second time or when someone tries to imitate it.

TV Tropes has a whole page full of examples of this.

Sometimes, the market getting flooded with shitty imitations means the first person to do it can no longer do it without getting caught up in it. Look at the flood of Drizzt Do'urden clones - he was an interesting sorta character when he first showed up ("wow, a dark elf who isn't a total cunt but has to deal with the rest of his race being a bunch of total cunts!") but after the books were published, literally every shitty woe-is-me-so-misunderstood teenage goth made a Drizzt-alike character so they could be unfairly misunderstood as well, and now Drizzt is seen as a mary-sue even though he wasn't when he first appeared.

The same is true for gimmicks.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #199283

Captain should be like an IC version of an admin, running silly gimmicks and killing shitters.

The caveat being security is free to stage a coup if your gimmick is too stupid.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #199284

running good gimmicks kor, not silly ones.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #199288

Kor wrote:Captain should be like an IC version of an admin, running silly gimmicks and killing shitters.

The caveat being security is free to stage a coup if your gimmick is too stupid.
I just want a "gas the liggers" gimmick. Who do I vote for a headmin to make it allowed by the rules?
Bring back papercult.

Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #199289

Goof why do you feel the need to make three separate threads to air your grievances over a single incident?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #199293

Wyzack wrote:Goof why do you feel the need to make three separate threads to air your grievances over a single incident?
because these are 4 different problems that all need addressed
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #199301

They don't need addressed. Other people have a different idea of what makes the game enjoyable, but any time this disagrees with your vision you stamp your feet and insist they're objectively wrong. The other day you pulled out some HG-tier meme about how the playerbase are incorrect because what they enjoy playing in the game doesn't mesh with the direction the coders were wanting to take the game in or some shit, which is how we end up with shit like cooking menus that take the entire round to load, and any time anyone disagrees with whether that's actually enjoyable to play with you just plug your ears and spout off three dozen policy threads and meme PRs complaining about it
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #199302

"which is how we end up with shit like cooking menus that take the entire round to load"

i fixed that though

also that was just to meme on zilenan
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #199350

Kor wrote:Captain should be like an IC version of an admin, running silly gimmicks and killing shitters.

free goof

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #199369

The captain's job is to swagger around pretending he's an important assest and get killed for his all access ID and shiny toys.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #199387

oranges wrote:running good gimmicks kor, not silly ones.
what makes it good and why do you get to decide if its a good gimmick or not
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #199426

Whether a captain gimmick is good is subjective. IMO:

1. Good gimmicks are easily understood by everyone. Is it a niche anime reference that nobody gets? Bad. Is it a much more widespread concept? Good. Overly complex? Bad. Simple? Good. Memes are often understood (not always) but tend to fail on the second point.

2. Good gimmicks are original. When a gimmick is repeated frequently, people get sick of it. A few people may always enjoy a certain gimmick, so it takes time to be certain your "dead horse" has really died if you're not paying attention. Examples: Adolf Hitler, Kill All Lizards, and apparently Donald Trump. It doesn't have to be a bad concept to eventually suck when it's repeated too much (see: Rage Cages).

3. Good gimmicks are fun for the crew. The "fascism" gimmick is bad because it's basically just making the crew at large have less fun (until eventually they're so sick of it they fight you or quit). It's better to have a gimmick that involves cooperation, teamwork, the use of non-busy people (like assistants, the service department, and so on), and ideally some kind of roleplay. Ideally everyone can participate, not just the captain.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #199459

I'm surprised goof isn't headbanned yet. It's the same shit from him every round.

He was definitely on my "Ban on first slight" list for a while but he hardly played.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #199463

Ikarrus wrote:I'm surprised goof isn't headbanned yet. It's the same shit from him every round.

He was definitely on my "Ban on first slight" list for a while but he hardly played.
It didn't stick.

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7391
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?