There needs to be a policy about murder boning on low-pop

Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

There needs to be a policy about murder boning on low-pop

Post by Cuboos » #221327

Bottom post of the previous page:

Seriously, this shit drives people off. It's different on high pop when it's more likely to have retaliation and there's more sec to do something about it. But the circumstances of low-pop are a lot different. There's less chance to be returned to the game via clone/borg/drone/other. 30 players use to be considered low-pop for /tg/, but now the low-pop hours barely break above 15 and murderboning is definitely the most likely culprit. There has to be something that can be done about it, maybe if the population is at a certain level and there is only so much security, murderboning could be grounds for a temp ban? Or maybe be antag-banned for a few days. Or be placed in a punishment job a few days, like clown or drone.
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Re: There needs to be a policy about murder boning on low-po

Post by firecage » #235574

Apparently certain people in OOC has no comprehension about what that is.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #237421

Maybe the shuttle should autocall when every non-antag is dead and can't be recalled? Or just under a 10% threshold or something.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #237458

Add a rule solution, not a code one; people will always find a way around code. Just ban lowpop murderboners under Rule 1.
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #237748

TheNightingale wrote:Just ban lowpop murderboners under Rule 1.
When I started playing SS13 I played on Yogstation, where murderboning was banned. I will tell you from personal experience that both the playerbase and admin team had an immensely difficult time making decisions on what was and wasn't okay. There are black and white situations, such as repeatedly recalling the shuttle while killing all of the players and camping arrivals - but most are somewhere in a grey area. If a guy stumbles across you in maint while you have your retracted Esword in hand, and you think he might have seen it, is killing him okay? What about when a person in your department sees your traitor gear and you have to kill him, then the whole department, then the sec team that's after you? What about when you make a mistake that sends the entire station after you, is it okay then? Where's the line for lowpop? 20 players? 30 players? When there's no security?

I'm not trying to be difficult, the rhetorical questions are just to illustrate that there is an enormous grey area between intentionally murdering the whole station to be an ass, and just completing your objectives. I think trying to enforce something as broad and nebulous as "Don't lowpop murderbone" would be incredibly difficult.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #237782

Personally I'd start at 25 pop and only put down the most extreme cases.
People with a steal objective going around murdering anything that moves, for instance.
People dual-eswording through the halls.
Shitters who have to get their kill on with op suits, noslips, ten billion implants, the Captain's sword and Detective's gun just because they can.
People releasing plasma/engine or mass-bombing are what stumps me, the former two are trivial if you work in that department, but the latter takes effort.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #237783

Enable low pop respawns and allow people to act as if they are an offsite clone sent in to finish the shift. We can go full Paranoia here and where everyone has six pack of clones given to them by Friend Computer.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #237791

Davidchan wrote:Enable low pop respawns and allow people to act as if they are an offsite clone sent in to finish the shift. We can go full Paranoia here and where everyone has six pack of clones given to them by Friend Computer.
No, death is already almost made meaningless.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #237795

Well the most effective way to discourage players from pursuing dickish or toxic game behavior is to ensure that doing so results in an unfun game experience for them as well. People murderboner on low pop cause its damn near consequence free
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #237796

Do what was done with holoparasites injectors and restrict certain weapons behind pop amount.

But seriously trying to gauge and control how people use their Griff TM license is only going to end up worse. If it's such a problem it kills servers then just have the players switch servers or get the shuttle force called if x percent of the population is dead for y amount of minutes.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #237806

CPTANT wrote:
Davidchan wrote:Enable low pop respawns and allow people to act as if they are an offsite clone sent in to finish the shift. We can go full Paranoia here and where everyone has six pack of clones given to them by Friend Computer.
No, death is already almost made meaningless.
CPTANT, I really wish people would stop this meaningless shit about "death is made meaningless! Wahhh!".

Back in SS13's closed source days in 2006 when I started, here's the thing. There was no 'real' cloning, there was only a type of cloning exploited via bugs. You had to turn someone into a monkey and then into a human to revive them. Know the funny thing though? The entire genetics system was complex by switching in and switching out various data disks. Almost no one knew how to do that, and spoiling secrets was bannable on basically every server(yes, cloning walls, hacking airlocks, making electric chairs, all that were considered secret. Even any links to the obscure SS13 wiki was bannable.)

So, considering reviving other players were impossible, well, do you realise how unfun that made the game? It made it unbearable once you died(Well, ghosts weren't a thing back then either. I can't remember if dead chat was even a thing. Probably wasn't.). I MUCH more prefer how 'meaningless' death is right now, since it makes the game far more fun and interesting than "Lol you are dead! Good luck getting back in the game!"
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #237978

CPTANT wrote:No, death is already almost made meaningless.
In a codebase where rezadone, autoscanners and monkies with vapes exist I can guarantee you that death is 100% meaningless.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #237986

And yet i get revived at most one time in ten, getting to zero in lowpop since it's guaranteed that there's no medical staff. Rezadone and autoscanners are not there roundstart nor are made every round.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #238939

just make a gamemode where everyone has survive objectives, no traitor items, for lowpop only [basically extended+]. When it is this gametype, an admin notice is automatically created telling you about the other server.

:^)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current