Latejoin being all security slots/Assistant cap

DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Latejoin being all security slots/Assistant cap

Post by DrPillzRedux » #228676

This is pretty cancerous. HoP's these days tend to remove all other jobs open for sign-up and switch them all to sec. This ends up with sec being looted to nothing as people are forced to join as sec, go get free shit from sec, then abandon the job entirely. It's basically making security public access with all the braindeads that pop up because of it.

Also prevents late join antags.

Edit: It's likely the cap on Assistants causing this. FIX THIS!
Last edited by DrPillzRedux on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Cy294
Byond Username: Cy294

Re: HoP's who set all slots to security officer

Post by Cy294 » #228678

Agreed, if the HOP sets it so only one job is open, assistant slots should open automatically.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #228692

I believe preventing late-join antags is half the point.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #228698

They shouldn't have the time to close all the jobs isn't it a 5 minute cool down?
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Re: HoP's who set alwhl slots to security officer

Post by Davidchan » #228711

Wait there is a way to prevent people from joining as assistant? That sounds counterintuitive to the role and game. Seems like this should be directed to coderbus first and policy second.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #228719

Isn't assistant unavailable until other jobs are taken?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #228731

You can only latejoin as assistant if there are less than 5 assistants or no other job is open.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #228740

DemonFiren wrote:I believe preventing late-join antags is half the point.
*parades through the station with a picket sign reading 'THIS IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU DISABLE ANTAG FOR ONE ROLE'"
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #228752

even for our extreme low RP that's some metagaming BS.
--Crocodillo

Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #228777

That's funny as fuck though.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #228790

bandit wrote:
*parades through the station with a picket sign reading 'THIS IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU DISABLE ANTAG FOR ONE ROLE'"
No, the real issue is trying to balance a game for a community who has one server that does well for having rounds over a hour, and another that constantly pushes hour thirty - 2 hour mark [at least used to and does whenever I join the server].

On sybil, this is rarely a problem since most rounds don't provide that many windows of opportunities to edit the job slots [because of the cooldown].

On basil [i'm assuming], this can easily be done when the HoP is twiddling his thumbs waiting for "roleplay" or conflict to occur in his office.

Unless you want to have configs for every feature that bases itself on the typical round length [in this case, the HoP job edit cooldown], you're just going to have to :shades: or ban people for using the feature that wasn't designed for the lengths of rounds basil typically endures.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #228795

I know that i am a bit out of touch as i have not played much the past few weeks but does Basil really still have more roleplay and longer rounds with 90 fucking people on peak times and around 60 the rest of the time?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #228797

Sounds like something people should be banned for.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #228799

Wyzack wrote:I know that i am a bit out of touch as i have not played much the past few weeks but does Basil really still have more roleplay and longer rounds with 90 fucking people on peak times and around 60 the rest of the time?
Everytime I get on it the rounds drag on longer and nearly every traitor is doing their job instead of creating issues.

Maybe I need to get on basil more when it's like 70 players and see how it fares.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #228800

Yeah rounds are still fucking long.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #228801

Wyzack wrote:I know that i am a bit out of touch as i have not played much the past few weeks but does Basil really still have more roleplay and longer rounds with 90 fucking people on peak times and around 60 the rest of the time?
It comes down to round type and who is the captain. I have been in severnal 1.5-2 hour high pop rounds in the past week or so.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #228802

Generally the only time I see people doing this as a head of personnel is when they're an antagonist. If they're not, usually the tsunami of adminhelps alerts us of the problem and we ask them to stop then open up more job slots (sometimes on the last part)
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #228807

I think the problem is that: Assistant slots are limited and will only open when all the other jobs are filled. On the other hand you have security officer, which the slots scales with the population, so the interaction might be a little weird between both jobs.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #228808

just go sec officer and switch jobs from the HoP tbqh.
Jembo
Byond Username: Jembo

Post by Jembo » #228820

This real issue is that they're not opening up 9 clown slots, and 9 mime slots for a clown / mime race war.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #228822

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:just go sec officer and switch jobs from the HoP tbqh.
This is still preventing late antags. It's creating assistans with sec gear.

Just bring back unlimited assistant slots.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #228824

DrPillzRedux wrote:
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:just go sec officer and switch jobs from the HoP tbqh.

do the antag roll when they join anyway and if they happen to be a sec officer give it to some other random player :honk:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #228830

I don't think hops are even planning this shit when the station is full and you open any job slot it will lock assistant off. So maybe get rid of that dumb setting?
Owegno
In-Game Game Master

Post by Owegno » #228837

I find the only difference between adminning Sybil and Basil during prime freedom hours are the names I recognize and amount of admins on.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #228849

DrPillzRedux wrote:

I'm not seeing the issue when basil runs extended most of the time and people tend to do very little with their antag anyways, often making it pseudo-extended. It's pretty clear antagonists are not exactly the focus point on the basil server [it is actually one of the main advertisement points when comparing it to Sybil], so denying the ability to join as one after everyone else has fullpowers, healing viruses, rnd maxed, etc. doesn't really seem like that big of a deal to me. I would say this would very much impact sybil where antags heavily define the round and the progress made is heavily defined by a player's competency in the job, but that would imply sybil would allow a HoP enough time to effectively do this.

If you want to roll antag, then come when the round starts :^)
There was a time when there wasn't any midround antags, people still joined and played the game.

"but this makes it hard to do traitorous things when there's more security around" -- If you aren't going to do anything antagonistic to begin with [which you clearly haven't if you've allowed the HoP to rack up all these slots and close literally every other job] then I doubt you're all of a sudden going to feel inclined to do it as soon as you see the announcement console blare out several security officer's at once.

Again, this issue is entirely preventable if the current antagonists would *DO* something antagonistic.
Incomptinence wrote:I don't think hops are even planning this shit when the station is full and you open any job slot it will lock assistant off. So maybe get rid of that dumb setting?
This is probably what's actually occuring, as I doubt even with basil rounds lasting longer that HoPs are effectively doing this.

Then again, the obvious issue here is that you didn't join soon enough, so just join as an officer and wait it out [again, you can go to the HoP to change your job]. You don't need an antag role everytime you join the game, particularly when you're on a roleplay-oriented server [THE roleplay-oriented server in our community].
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #228881

The issue is having to fucking join as sec, be you a new player, bad player, or whatever. Sec gets fucked from those who then join and go braindead, get their ID and gear stripped by anyone, sec gets looted, etc.

This is an issue and how you're plugging your ears screaming BUT BUT BUT is just dumb.

a correct post by pillz
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #228903

DrPillzRedux wrote:The issue is having to fucking join as sec, be you a new player, bad player, or whatever. Sec gets fucked from those who then join and go braindead, get their ID and gear stripped by anyone, sec gets looted, etc.

This is an issue and how you're plugging your ears screaming BUT BUT BUT is just dumb.
so dont join if you hate sec so much that you can't go on it then go to the HoP to get your jobchanged to <not sec>? There's typically something to do as ghosts anyways.

Saying "THIS IS AN ISSUE" does not make it any more/less an issue. It's a feature in the game that can only be fully utilized to the degree you're referring to if people are treating it like pseudo-extended [or it is actually extended] and are drawing out the round to the fullest extent in order to [from what I usually see] make themselves as unstoppable as possible. You stop it by being antagonistic, not by getting them banned.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #228904

I have never seen selective reading so hard before, my god.

Let me break it down in short segments so you can process it.

It's not just not wanting to play sec.

It's new people being forced to sign up as sec.

It's people who will loot sec, run around with a sec ID while not acting as sec.

It's people who sign up, get bored, then go braindead in the halls with a sec ID and gear.

It's forcing latejoin antags to be null.

It's ruining security.

BBBUT JUST GET AN ID CHANGE

No. You are missing the entirw point. Actually read my post.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #228914

This is practically every latejoin game on basil. This is 31 minutes in.

a correct post by pillz
Owegno
In-Game Game Master

Post by Owegno » #228916

DrPillzRedux wrote:This is practically every latejoin game on basil. This is 31 minutes in.

Adminhelp it honestly. If there is a HoP closing slots randomly as non-antag that's pretty dickish.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #228921

Owegno wrote:Adminhelp it honestly. If there is a HoP closing slots randomly as non-antag that's pretty dickish.
Admins don't seem to understand the problem with this, because I did and this was the response.
Admin PM from-Duncdar: While I'm sorry you feel that way, you can always observe or play on Sybil. Unfortunately, being high-pop really limits mid-round job slots.
Then change the security scaling of slots if that's the issue or re-enable assistant joins instead of this cancer. At least they'll be assistants that don't start with brig access.

a correct post by pillz
Owegno
In-Game Game Master

Post by Owegno » #228925

Seems the issue is not with HoP's closing slots then but the whole assistant cap change.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: Latejoin being all security slots/Assistant cap

Post by bandit » #228942

The issue is people metagaming by forcing the only open slot to be the only role that can't be antag.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #228946

Admin PM from-Duncdar: While I'm sorry you feel that way, you can always observe or play on Sybil. Unfortunately, being high-pop really limits mid-round job slots.
What did he mean by this?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #228951

Honestly any job past normal the hop opens will "force" people to be that and not assistant. Asscap begone.
Duncdar
Byond Username: Duncdar

Post by Duncdar » #228953

DrPillzRedux wrote:
Owegno wrote:Adminhelp it honestly. If there is a HoP closing slots randomly as non-antag that's pretty dickish.
Admins don't seem to understand the problem with this, because I did and this was the response.
Then change the security scaling of slots if that's the issue or re-enable assistant joins instead of this cancer. At least they'll be assistants that don't start with brig access.
I apologize for not understanding the situation that you had described, but the issue entirely flew over my head. When you had stated it was cancer and "it's just shit HoP's and shitty security scaling code," it seemed you were venting in ahelp, which isn't uncommon. I assumed there was some problem related to the code's "security scaling," as you had mentioned, and the aforementioned HoPs failing to adjust late-join spawns.

Since neither of us had followed through after that last comment, I felt that (despite my apparent misunderstanding) all was well and there wasn't an OOC issue outside of it being code-related. I will certainly be more vigilant in watching for these kinds of problems in the future, though! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, since I would've been clueless of what was going on otherwise.
oranges wrote:
What did he mean by this?
We may never know.
Last edited by Duncdar on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
~lighter than Aire~
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #228979

How about disallowing the HoP from opening the same slot twice in a row?

Or open an assistant slot for every actual job slot, or make it open them two at a time and force them to be different roles. :honkman: :silentman:
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #229016

Or just remove the assistant cap. You can't force someone to actually do the job that's open. They're going to join as whatever is available and fuck with stuff with whatever access/gear that job has.
--Crocodillo

firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #229034

cmspano, or they just might not even join if assistant isn't open, since they played the other jobs so bloody much, they get bored of them extremely easily, and they just want to play simple jobs with no real responsibilities or expectations like assistant, clown, or mime, or librarian.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #229050

Spoiler:
DrPillzRedux wrote:I have never seen selective reading so hard before, my god.

Let me break it down in short segments so you can process it.

It's not just not wanting to play sec.
ok, I said pretty explicitly you can get your job change.

It's new people being forced to sign up as sec.
not a problem nor an argument because, again, you can get your job changed.

It's people who will loot sec, run around with a sec ID while not acting as sec.
you can't "loot sec" after the limited amount of lockers have been used up. It's not a bannable offense for person X to take the blame because person Y isn't doing their intended job, nor is it even a bannable offense for person Y to not do their job unless it happens consistently [which again isn't person X's problem]. It doesn't even matter if everyone carried a sec baton when antagonists have done nothing and continue to do nothing to create conflict in the round outside of a greytider, which probably isn't going to be an issue since everyone has the same gear he does. If you want to wait until you're a mighty slimehulkdwarf with max viruses, then you need to realize nonantagonists have also progressed in their department as well and can use that against you.

It's people who sign up, get bored, then go braindead in the halls with a sec ID and gear.
THEY can get a secban then. The HoP is not at fault for an officer going braindead in the halls with secgear.

It's forcing latejoin antags to be null.
not a problem in basil, already mentioned this.

It's ruining security.
not an argument

BBBUT JUST GET AN ID CHANGE
yes do this

No. You are missing the entirw point. Actually read my post.
you haven't really made an impressive argument for why I need to ban a HoP for doing something that takes a large amount of time [probably less as populations get higher, which if you want to argue the actual cooldown of the feature then we can talk (not in policy though)] when no one has made any move to do anything antagonistic. It's like banning geneticists for giving out powers to security only, and he can do it at roundstart if he's lucky as well. Give these people something to do outside of their job when you're the antagonist and they won't be able to progress far enough to nullify your efforts as one.
There is no obligation to do the job you signed up for outside of Head Roles [and you can just shoot the admin a PM if you don't want to do the job]. This extends to security.

JUST
GET
AN
ID
CHANGE
or ghost [there's several ghost roles as said earlier] or switch servers and play a quick round or two.

Or better yet just ask for a cooldown increase on the feature if people, after all this time, have found out they can manipulate it advantageously.

I still have doubts this is even being used maliciously. HoPs are probably just opening sec slots [not a bannable offense] and the others are getting filled, resulting in the remaining slots to be just sec. Welcome to high pop, sybil will gladly take more users if you don't like the large population of basil :) !
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #229093

sec only is too confusing and challenging for new players (WHO THOUGHT ASS CAP WAS A GOOD IDEA)
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #229213

yes the Assistant cap was very high on sybil for this very reason. I don't' know why the admins are not lifting it, as it's very easy to change.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #229223

HGs legacy
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #229292

Unless it was changed, new players have a grace period in which they are allowed to bypass the assistant cap. So, the argument of new players being forced to play sec doesn't really hold much ground.

I suppose we could do some logging to double check, but it seems that it's just all the job slots getting filled up, not hops closing them all.

There are alternative options, you just simply are refusing that consider them.

Also, a removal of the assistant cap seems unlikely. I recall mentioning removing it at one point and even MSO being in favor of keeping the cap.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #229295

Honestly I don't see the need for the ass cap, it may reduce greytiding a bit but really if someone wants to tide they are going to tide regardless of job title. There may be another reason for the cap but it's beyond me, it's hardly ss13 to me if half the active crew isn't wearing grey.

As for only opening sec/antag protected spots, seems like power gaming and just another reason to bring back antag sec.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #229297

Davidchan wrote:if someone wants to tide they are going to tide regardless of job title.
That just makes it more noticeable and easier to ban them for. :^)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #229304

IMO this is as bad as it being all security, especially when its so early into the round and I seriously doubt every position is filled.

Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #229311

It is also worth noting that in highpop rounds it is very likely that all the roles but sec (especially if HOP boosts the sec role cap) will be taken, since a lot of players dislike playing sec and will pick anything else or even ghost
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #229328

Arianya wrote:IMO this is as bad as it being all security, especially when its so early into the round and I seriously doubt every position is filled.
Yes but at least new antags will be injected into the round as needed.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #229500

If we didn't have the stupidity of asscap we could have sec who made the antag roll come in as assistants.