Ghosting, when is it ok?

Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Ghosting, when is it ok?

Post by Weepo » #241697

Basically I just copped an hourban because some shitheel admin was looking for an excuse after I ghosted out on his security power trip, I gotta wonder, when is it ok to ghost, officially? I know ghosting is fine to do as any random assistant, means nothing if you just ghost in your office or whatnot.

But is ghosting out in the brig / permabrig after getting arrested, thus denying some sec officer his ERP opportunities so wrong? See I was under the impression ghosting was ok to do any time whenever because honestly, why wouldn't it be? Its not good, it kicks you out of your body, its basically 'the fun stops here for me' which is usually why you use it. If some nerd is locking you down in the maint tunnels with handcuffs and keeping you morphined? Ghost out, if you're being 'arrested' for half an hour by security, getting dragged around / buckled to make sure you don't get a chance to resist, just ghost. If you got cuffed by beepsky and the clown is dragging you around handcuffed making sure you can't leave and the admins aren't helping you, just ghost.

But I guess what I'm asking / saying is that there needs to a ghosting policy. Even if it is just 'yeah its ok to ghost whenever' or 'don't ghost while arrested unless you're absolutely sure they've forgotten about you' or whatever.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: Ghosting, when is it ok?

Post by ShadowDimentio » #241698

If you actually got banned for ghosting out of a sec punishment you need to make a complaint because that's not okay. I bet there was another, better reason though.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #241701

I very strongly doubt that's how it played out
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Weepo

Post by Weepo » #241702

ShadowDimentio wrote:If you actually got banned for ghosting out of a sec punishment you need to make a complaint because that's not okay. I bet there was another, better reason though.
Apparently I also threatened them with adminhelping by saying 'I'm speaking with a higher power' once while they were slowly stripping me, even though I mostly said it as a justification for why I wasn't being a more active participant in their frankly creepy power trip.

I'd make a complaint but honestly, its an hour ban.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #241703

"Banned for 60 minutes - You know what, don't threaten to ahelp someone in IC chat and then ghost out. Seriously?"

Good job.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Weepo

Post by Weepo » #241704

Saegrimr wrote:"Banned for 60 minutes - You know what, don't threaten to ahelp someone in IC chat and then ghost out. Seriously?"

Good job.
Yep thats the note, good work.

Anyway can I get a word on the actual yaknow, topic, when is it ok to ghost? when is it not?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #241710

If you need to leave as a head of staff or antagonist tell an admin first.

Otherwise just leave whenever.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #241718

It's never OK unless you do a funny me verb emote along with it
Krusvik
Byond Username: Krusvik

Post by Krusvik » #241738

Kor wrote:If you need to leave as a head of staff or antagonist tell an admin first.

Pretty much this, just to confirm.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #241741

Krusvik wrote:
Kor wrote:If you need to leave as a head of staff or antagonist tell an admin first.

Pretty much this, just to confirm.
You forgot AI.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #241745

I think the 60 minute ban here was for ock-ick, not for ghosting.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #241747

To reiterate in a final constant:

As kor and krusvik have said, if you're playing as a head of staff, antagonist, AI, or other important role (centcom, event role, etc) please make sure you check in via adminhelping that you need to go! Otherwise, in almost all cases, you're more than welcome to ghost!

The aforementioned ban, as it is mentioned, is primarily for OOC'ing in IC, the ghosting out was more of a cherry on top. Generally if you threaten that you're going to adminhelp someone then ghost out and adminhelp it, its a bit redundant as you've already ghosted out.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #241749

Okand37 wrote:AI.
Except when enforcing Law 1.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #241751

Pretty sure we've had thing about ghosting out when implanted from conversion rounds but fuck me if anything is coherent.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #241752

This falls under "ahelp", whereupon admin will tell you no, you can't ghost.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #241753

This entire thread is someone being banned for OCKY ICKY and not understanding why that is bad.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #241755

Saegrimr wrote:Pretty sure we've had thing about ghosting out when implanted from conversion rounds but fuck me if anything is coherent.
Yeah. Ghosting out after being implanted by command/sec is pretty much the same as ghosting out after being converted to a team antagonist.
Freedom
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #241787

TehPear wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Pretty sure we've had thing about ghosting out when implanted from conversion rounds but fuck me if anything is coherent.
Yeah. Ghosting out after being implanted by command/sec is pretty much the same as ghosting out after being converted to a team antagonist.
You mean ghosting out after being implanted, right?
TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #241822

Iatots wrote:
TehPear wrote:
You mean ghosting out after being implanted, right?
Yes. It's what I said, yet also ghosting out when being caught and before being implanted is kind of a dick move as well...which may warrant a warning if someone does that consistently anytime they are caught as it seems they want to play one way and not the other.
Freedom
Bob Dobbington
Byond Username: Bob Dobbington

Post by Bob Dobbington » #241828

What I do when I see ahelps about braindead / AFK converts/team antags is offer their mobs up to ghosts. That way, some ghost gets free antag and the syndicate cultvolution isn't out a team member. It's a win-win for everyone. Maybe we should have a policy of it being okay to ask for that if you don't wish to play your antag role, and then publicise that policy. We already do self requested antag bans; don't those effectively do the same thing of kicking you out of your mob and offering it to ghosts? I imagine coderbus could even automate the process.
Game Admin for /tg/station. I usually play Daisy Holmes, the botanist.
TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #241896

Bob Dobbington wrote:What I do when I see ahelps about braindead / AFK converts/team antags is offer their mobs up to ghosts. That way, some ghost gets free antag and the syndicate cultvolution isn't out a team member. It's a win-win for everyone. Maybe we should have a policy of it being okay to ask for that if you don't wish to play your antag role, and then publicise that policy. We already do self requested antag bans; don't those effectively do the same thing of kicking you out of your mob and offering it to ghosts? I imagine coderbus could even automate the process.
Rule five covers it but it isn't completely concise to where we stand now. I will likely rewrite it to cover the ghosting as round start Head of Staff, AI/Sillicon, and anything involved in conversion modes(Revolution, Gang, Blood Cult, Clockcult, Nukeops, and even AI if a borging machine is involved). At least some effort should be put in to play those roles and some effort taken if you have to leave or don't want to play to inform us. At which point we'll decide the best course of action if it's just letting them leave, offering control to ghosts, or finding someone to replace them.
Freedom
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #241912

Weepo wrote:Basically I just copped an hourban because some shitheel admin was looking for an excuse after I ghosted out on his security power trip, I gotta wonder, when is it ok to ghost, officially? I know ghosting is fine to do as any random assistant, means nothing if you just ghost in your office or whatnot.

But is ghosting out in the brig / permabrig after getting arrested, thus denying some sec officer his ERP opportunities so wrong? See I was under the impression ghosting was ok to do any time whenever because honestly, why wouldn't it be? Its not good, it kicks you out of your body, its basically 'the fun stops here for me' which is usually why you use it. If some nerd is locking you down in the maint tunnels with handcuffs and keeping you morphined? Ghost out, if you're being 'arrested' for half an hour by security, getting dragged around / buckled to make sure you don't get a chance to resist, just ghost. If you got cuffed by beepsky and the clown is dragging you around handcuffed making sure you can't leave and the admins aren't helping you, just ghost.

But I guess what I'm asking / saying is that there needs to a ghosting policy. Even if it is just 'yeah its ok to ghost whenever' or 'don't ghost while arrested unless you're absolutely sure they've forgotten about you' or whatever.
1. I was not playing that round, and admins do not handle their own ahelps.
2. You threatened "higher action" against someone in game. OOC in IC, threatening ahelps
3. I told you to stop, you blew up and yelled at me in all caps
4. Told you to drop your attitude
5. "Fuck this", ghosted out1
While I will admit a ban wasn't completely necessary, you do need to calm down, and not misrepresent the situation.
If some random schmuck ghosted out I probably wouldn't care. If they did it just to roll for antag, or if they're doing it all the time as a job role, I might. If you ghost out in permabrig, I wouldn't care. Causing shit and ghost out in brig is a different case but that's just more for causing shit and leaving when it comes back to you. Threatening to ahelp someone IC and then blowing up in the admin's face when told to stop that and then ghosting out? That's different.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #241918

I always laugh at people who threaten ahelps IC and then double their punishment. It's like the biggest sign that someone's from the hub.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #241947

BeeSting12 wrote:I always laugh at people who threaten ahelps IC and then double their punishment. It's like the biggest sign that someone's from hippie.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #241949

Our ghosting policy is fine but I don't like this trend of using policy discussion as ban appeals.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #241950

bandit wrote:Our ghosting policy is fine but I don't like this trend of using policy discussion as ban appeals.
Also complaints. To be honest I should can this thread but it did bring attention to making rule five more clear. Even if the thread was some pseudo admin complaint.
Freedom
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #241977

trying to apply rules to ghosting is bad because you can't force someone to play the game when they don't want to
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #241984

Would it be feasable to add a "ghost and offer mob" button for anyone playing a head, antagonist, or recently changed teams (converted, deconverted, implanted, whatever)?

Or just put "offer body to observers" as one of the options on the ghost confirmation dialog, perhaps? Trying to think of possible abuses that would be a reason not to do it.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #241989

oranges wrote:trying to apply rules to ghosting is bad because you can't force someone to play the game when they don't want to
You clearly can, it's also really easy to not play if you don't want to play.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #241991

Lumbermancer wrote:
oranges wrote:trying to apply rules to ghosting is bad because you can't force someone to play the game when they don't want to
No you can't, I can just go afk and stop playing rather than ghost, same net effect.

I can close the game and say it was a network fault and you can't prove otherwise for trying to enforce bans.

You can't force someone to play the game if they dont' want to, that's silly.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #241992

oranges wrote:No you can't, I can just go afk and stop playing rather than ghost, same net effect.
But why? That's just petty. Why not simply ahelp and transfer antag to someone, or even let admin unlock head slot for new person?
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #242000

admins can't force players to play and players can't force admins to not give them consequences for abandoning important roles like team antag or less important roles like silicon/head of staff constantly

shit like ghosting the moment you get culted (while understandable) isn't sportsmanlike and sportsmanship being one of the few objectively good things around here, if a player won't do it willingly, admins will step in. It's not like we even want them to play if they don't want to, plenty of admins have said already they just need to take sub 10 seconds to say I'm leaving find someone else.

honestly this is a fucking awful meme thread, should've been locked and weepo rule 0'd for being a faggot
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #242914

oranges wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:
No you can't, I can just go afk and stop playing rather than ghost, same net effect.

I can close the game and say it was a network fault and you can't prove otherwise for trying to enforce bans.

Ghosting and closing the game are two completely different things.
Unlike closing the game, you are still observing the round and interacting with other people in deadchat. You are still PLAYING THE GAME. You are playing as a ghost.
Plus, now we have tons of ghost roles that let you hop back in as something else.
I mean, if ghosting put you in nullspace and disabled your ghost hearing and talking, then maybe it would be the same thing.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #242931

TehPear wrote:
bandit wrote:Our ghosting policy is fine but I don't like this trend of using policy discussion as ban appeals.
Also complaints. To be honest I should can this thread but it did bring attention to making rule five more clear. Even if the thread was some pseudo admin complaint.
And ban requests aswell.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #242998

Why is this even a discussion? Always ghost.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #243056

Shadowlight213 wrote:
oranges wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:

Ghosting and closing the game are two completely different things.
Unlike closing the game, you are still observing the round and interacting with other people in deadchat. You are still PLAYING THE GAME. You are playing as a ghost.
Plus, now we have tons of ghost roles that let you hop back in as something else.
I mean, if ghosting put you in nullspace and disabled your ghost hearing and talking, then maybe it would be the same thing.
Who cares if someone decides they aren't having fun as captain anymore and wants to go poke things with a stick as a tribal lizard? Videogames are meant for fun. As long as they tell an admin first and don't strip in the middle of the hallway there isn't an issue.
Weepo

Post by Weepo » #243224

No but if I'm a sec officer and I wanna get my jollies beating a 2d spaceman and they ghost out on me how will I cum?
Weepo

Post by Weepo » #243225

kevinz000 wrote:
Weepo wrote:Basically I just copped an hourban because some shitheel admin was looking for an excuse after I ghosted out on his security power trip, I gotta wonder, when is it ok to ghost, officially? I know ghosting is fine to do as any random assistant, means nothing if you just ghost in your office or whatnot.

2. You threatened "higher action" against someone in game. OOC in IC, threatening ahelps
While I will admit a ban wasn't completely necessary, you do need to calm down, and not misrepresent the situation.
If some random schmuck ghosted out I probably wouldn't care. If they did it just to roll for antag, or if they're doing it all the time as a job role, I might. If you ghost out in permabrig, I wouldn't care. Causing shit and ghost out in brig is a different case but that's just more for causing shit and leaving when it comes back to you. Threatening to ahelp someone IC and then blowing up in the admin's face when told to stop that and then ghosting out? That's different.
Hey look its said shitheel admin, I said I was' communicating with a higher power', yaknow, in order to explain IC why I wasn't responding to the asshole hitting me as opposed to the asshole talking to me in my head. You told me to 'drop the attitude' after getting all bitchy at me despite me being the one requesting help than you banned me for ghosting along with a bunch of other made up bullshit and now you're accusing me of 'misrepresenting' out of hand without proof.

Why the fuck are you like this?
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #243226

Weepo wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:

Hey look its said shitheel admin, I said I was' communicating with a higher power', yaknow, in order to explain IC why I wasn't responding to the asshole hitting me as opposed to the asshole talking to me in my head. You told me to 'drop the attitude' after getting all bitchy at me despite me being the one requesting help than you banned me for ghosting along with a bunch of other made up bullshit and now you're accusing me of 'misrepresenting' out of hand without proof.

sure man.
edit - oh and you forgot about yelling at me in all caps about why ooc in ic matters.
Last edited by kevinz000 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cw3040
Byond Username: Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #243253

Weepo wrote:No but if I'm a sec officer and I wanna get my jollies beating a 2d spaceman and they ghost out on me how will I cum?
Hope you like blue balls.
Spoiler:
GREYTIDE STATIONWIDE
ImageImage
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #243258

Weepo wrote:Hey look its said shitheel admin, I said I was' communicating with a higher power', yaknow, in order to explain IC why I wasn't responding to the asshole hitting me as opposed to the asshole talking to me in my head. You told me to 'drop the attitude' after getting all bitchy at me despite me being the one requesting help than you banned me for ghosting along with a bunch of other made up bullshit and now you're accusing me of 'misrepresenting' out of hand without proof.

after you throw a tantrum like this over somebody doing their job (and yes, giving you a timeout for breaking the rules, in this case OOC in IC, is their job on this server) how do you expect any admin or player to give you the time of day?
Like, why the hell should anyone put up with you?

Or as crag put it
1. HOW LONG IS THE BAN? IF IT'S LESS THAN A DAY, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU EVEN APPEAL IT? IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A FUCKING COLICKY INFANT SHITTING ALL OVER THE BOARD AND TRYING TO STIR UP A FIGHT. SIT OUT OF SPACEMANS FOR A COUPLE HOURS, YOU TITHEAD (or join another server).
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #243259

I might be in the minority here, but I don't think the length of the ban matters when appealing it. If the ban is invalid, it shouldn't be given at all (it's a permanent note on someone's record), so appealing a short ban isn't about "hey can you let me play faster" so much as the principle of it.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #243269

Ban wasn't for ghosting it's for ooc in IC and screaming at me in all caps when told to watch it. Ban should of been shorter but I believe my point is made.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #243283

TheNightingale wrote:I might be in the minority here, but I don't think the length of the ban matters when appealing it. If the ban is invalid, it shouldn't be given at all (it's a permanent note on someone's record), so appealing a short ban isn't about "hey can you let me play faster" so much as the principle of it.
Agreed, but theres a difference between "I think this ban was entirely invalid and is a black mark on my record I don't deserve" and "I think the admin was wrong to give me as long of a ban as he did for this rule infraction I admittedly did"
Weepo wrote:Hey look its said shitheel admin, I said I was' communicating with a higher power', yaknow, in order to explain IC why I wasn't responding to the asshole hitting me as opposed to the asshole talking to me in my head. You told me to 'drop the attitude' after getting all bitchy at me despite me being the one requesting help than you banned me for ghosting along with a bunch of other made up bullshit and now you're accusing me of 'misrepresenting' out of hand without proof.

lmao, if you think this is at all a good idea.

a) Calling an admin "shitheel" only serves to make you look bad, especially when said admin is trying to explain things to you in a civil manner
b) Just don't refer to OOC shit in IC, especially not in passive aggresive attempts to intimidate others.
c) Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If you start getting lippy with an admin, they're entirely entitled to return the attitude with interest.
d) You've not provided any proof yourself, so I'm not sure why you're calling out others on not providing proof.

e: Also this is basically a ghetto Admin Complaint so can we just move it there or salt reserve it? It ceased being about "ghosting policy" a while ago.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #243382

I'm locking this is I've updated Rule 5 and it's precedent to be a little more clear. It's served its purpose as it's now back to being a shitty admin complaint.
Freedom