Escalation discussion and criticism thread

J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Escalation discussion and criticism thread

Post by J_Madison » #241968

Post your examples of escalation regarding IC incidents, sec incidents, whatever incidents you think you were right or wrong(ed) on. I'll give you my opinion on the matter, and so can everyone else.
I hope with these kind of open discussions we can come to an agreement or find similar ground on how we escalate incidents.

This is in response to TehPear welcoming anyone to try to set a standard for IC escalation.
You're entitled to your own opinion and nobody is wrong or right in this thread.

Format:

Code: Select all

IC name:
Job:
Server: Basil/Sybil
What happened:
TL;DR:
It is important to include IC names.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Escalation discussion and criticism thread

Post by oranges » #241974

Code: Select all

IC name:J madison
Job:Forum Shitposter
Server: Metaserver(tgstation)
What happened:He ruined my metagame by posting a thread at the wrong time. Delicate positioning of forum poster forces were completely interrupted and destroyed. This lead to a defeat against the furry freedom clique and multiple furry pulls being forced through with a detrimental effect on the game and the metagame(via github) that I currently play for the higher challenge level.

I've had to resort to manipulating the metagames on other servers in order to restore the balance their threads caused to my position.
TL;DR:he fucked up my day
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #241997

Oranges is doing Nar-Sie's work.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #242001

CosmicScientist wrote:Sounds interesting but why is it important for IC names?
Some people static name and are treated differently. This changes interactions, for instance a repeat greytider with the same name is more likely to get harsher treatment than his random naming counterpart.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #242005

Ok I have one.

I was playing HoS and a lawyer was running around the hallway with an esword and ebow. I tazed him and cuffed him.

While I was cuffing him an assistant came from out of view grabbed the esword, murdered the lawyer with it by hitting him 6 times with it, shot me with the ebow and ran off. I chased him and he shot several more ebow bolts at me, but ultimately lost him.

When I saw him again I tazed him and shot his head full of buckshot.

After that I got admin questioned for half an hour about why I killed him before finally it was said it was semi-ok

Seriously, act like an antag, get treated like an antag.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #242006

One thing I found quite perplexing is how chemists are allowed to kill botanists if they need to get a stolen machine back, but if the botanists respond to the lethal force with equal lethal force and they fend off the attack successfully (the chemist dies) the botanist will get shit on by the adminbus.

This is off something I got a note for among others (as in other people.)
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #242009

Why is this a thing?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #242010

J_Madison wrote:
Some people static name and are treated differently. This changes interactions, for instance a repeat greytider with the same name is more likely to get harsher treatment than his random naming counterpart.
This sounds like a big metagrudge list and needs to be fucking canned. Not surprising coming from you though.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #242011

Saegrimr wrote:
J_Madison wrote:
This sounds like a big metagrudge list and needs to be fucking canned. Not surprising coming from you though.
Well when someone does the exact same shit several rounds in a row it's pretty hard to not crack down on it.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #242012

D&B wrote:One thing I found quite perplexing is how chemists are allowed to kill botanists if they need to get a stolen machine back, but if the botanists respond to the lethal force with equal lethal force and they fend off the attack successfully (the chemist dies) the botanist will get shit on by the adminbus.

>they can lethal me for stealing something they need for their jobs but I can't lethal them for trying to take back what I stole from them

No wonder you were rule 0'd.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #242016

Archie700 wrote:
D&B wrote:One thing I found quite perplexing is how chemists are allowed to kill botanists if they need to get a stolen machine back, but if the botanists respond to the lethal force with equal lethal force and they fend off the attack successfully (the chemist dies) the botanist will get shit on by the adminbus.

>they can lethal me for stealing something they need for their jobs but I can't lethal them for trying to take back what I stole from them

But stealing isn't equal to murdering someone at all. Going from theft to murder is an escalation and that escalation should be fine to respond to with your own lethal force.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #242018

If you steal shit from people you don't get to hide behind Le NAP they attacked first memes to murder them if they have to use force to get it back

goading someone into attacking you so you can murder them "in self-defence" is pretty much textbook killbaiting
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #242022

Screemonster wrote:If you steal shit from people you don't get to hide behind Le NAP they attacked first memes to murder them if they have to use force to get it back

goading someone into attacking you so you can murder them "in self-defence" is pretty much textbook killbaiting
Yes and I have always found that if you do not consent to that kind of escalation you should not escalate to that point.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #242023

Killbaiting and escalation rules seem almost mutually exclusive in their overlap and is probably the worse defined or agreed upon area of our rules.
D&B

Post by D&B » #242024

Archie700 wrote:

Again, I have only had it happen once, and healed the chemist after they attacked me.

But it's a weird line when in other conflicts you're expected to get sec rather than man up on your own, and in this one it gets to liberally become "Haha you stole something you need for your job too but fuck you just let yourself be killed."
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #242036

You don't need mutagen.

Plants can evolve on their own with left 4 zed, or you can, you know, ASK THE FUCKING CHEMISTS.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #242040

Kor wrote:Killbaiting and escalation rules seem almost mutually exclusive in their overlap and is probably the worse defined or agreed upon area of our rules.
Basically there is no "proportional escalation" since any conflict is always started by one party and that party will just be accused of killbaiting if they retaliate.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #242041

Short of critting or killing, you essentially should lay yourself down for IC punishment if you steal a chem dispenser.

If you're going to punch or push people who punch you once, or even just take the chem dispenser peacefully, expect yourself to be hit until your sprite lays down.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #242044

CPTANT wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:
J_Madison wrote:
Well when someone does the exact same shit several rounds in a row it's pretty hard to not crack down on it.
Bingo, it's a big ask not to kill someone for greytiding if it's their 8th round in a row, and if you release them they'll come down worse.

Metagrudge goes both ways. You can't expect to be treated better and not treated worse for it.
Kor wrote:Killbaiting and escalation rules seem almost mutually exclusive in their overlap and is probably the worse defined or agreed upon area of our rules.
Can't create absolutes otherwise people toe the line between killbaiting and escalation.

For escalation, one party needs to be actually wronged and feel the reason to take revenge, i.e. wrongly arrested Janitor brigged for 5 minutes.
For killbaiting, one party must voluntarily commit a wrong, feel wronged, then feels the need to take revenge, i.e. arrested for breaking into brig, take revenge by killing sec officers and impeding arrests.
Archie700 wrote:Short of critting or killing, you essentially should lay yourself down for IC punishment if you steal a chem dispenser.

If you're going to punch or push people who punch you once, or even just take the chem dispenser peacefully, expect yourself to be hit until your sprite lays down.
Stealing of vital and limited equipment. Absolutely no excuse for stealing them even if "the chemists aren't using it" or "there's only one chemist". There will be a chemist that will arrive. And there will be a chemist that needs it more than your botany needs.

If you steal a chem dispenser you almost deserve to have your round stolen.
Last edited by J_Madison on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #242045

Screemonster wrote:If you steal shit from people you don't get to hide behind Le NAP they attacked first memes to murder them if they have to use force to get it back

I'm kinda torn on this one, on one hand it seems reasonable but on the other hand this basically means that you become valid (please excuse me for the horrible term) just for stealing the machine, regardless of any escalation rule. Follow me for a second: botanist steals the thing, chemist comes to reclaim it using lethal force (and is the first to use lethal force), at this point you say that the botanist should just lay down and accept death or face a ban. I think killbaiting only applies in situations where someone started shit with the explicit purpose of killing someone "in self-defence", but the machine is actually useful for the botanist, it's not the same as a greyshirt stealing it just to bait the chemist into a conflict. The death of the chemist is a consequence of him escalating to lethals, not the main purpose behind the botanist's actions.

tl;dr:
do something annoying to another player with no other purpose but to annoy him until he's tricked into using lethal force, then kill him -> killbaiting
do something annoying to another player for *reasons* without trying to start further shit, but he doesn't stand down -> escalation
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #242046

Isn't this what the cuck shed is for?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #242108

But now I still haven't heard whether or not killing someone after he murders a prisoner and shoots you with an ebow is proper escalation or not.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #242112

CPTANT wrote:But now I still haven't heard whether or not killing someone after he murders a prisoner and shoots you with an ebow is proper escalation or not.
i think it is. he acted like an antagonist and got treated like one, he shouldn't whine to the admins when he gets killed for it.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #242144

This isn't what I had in mind of writing something that clearly defined situations. All this is everyone giving their opinion. I wanted something objective that defines every situation and if it was okay or warrants an action being taken by an admin. This is what many seemingly want instead of an admin making a ruling whether or not it was proper.
Freedom
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #242147

Now That's What I Call Metagrudge: Volume 2
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
D&B

Post by D&B » #242149

>Wants objectivity when one of the official rules is ambiguous and vague as hell.

Hmmmmmmmmm
Spoiler:
fuck you
TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #242153

D&B wrote:>Wants objectivity when one of the official rules is ambiguous and vague as hell.

Hmmmmmmmmm
I invite people to come up with what they perceive as more objective rules as well. So if you want to spend your free time doing that; knock yourself out.
Freedom
TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #242285

CosmicScientist wrote:
TehPear wrote:
D&B wrote:>Wants objectivity when one of the official rules is ambiguous and vague as hell.

Hmmmmmmmmm
I invite people to come up with what they perceive as more objective rules as well. So if you want to spend your free time doing that; knock yourself out.
Yeah, I was hoping this thread might go somewhere with that since it invited experience over theory.

What I took a double take on was the wanted inclusion of IC names because not only can players take up new names or hit random, it doesn't help to metagrudge them here on a level that might as well be a ban request. That and repeat offenders of moronically destructive crimes or out of bounds behaviour have a username, not a character name, for admins to deal with, not forum goers, which I thought JMad would know by now.

It's hardly healthy to have a policy thread or even any thread where there's a list of names associated to shames to refer to whenever you play sec or otherwise to then decide perma/execution/1,000,000 gulag points is a suitable punishment to them breaking one window because someone said they once broke every window on the station interior and exterior. If I remember correctly, you can use your own past IC experiences with them to justify your behaviour now, within reason, but I doubt an admin will listen to someone who says "This person on the forums said the guy I arrested shot people with the russian revolver as a non antag last year and I found them with the bartender's shotgun as greyshirt so execution is right."
I quite agree with this and many others who raised questions over this thread; which is more or less a metagrudge list and may as well be like having ban request open with everyone allowed to peanut gallery post. I'm going to lock this thread as I find it dumb. I do welcome the community at attempting to come up with better rules which a new thread can be created. Maybe something could come of that as the rules are not the most perfect and are very much interrupted by admins.
Freedom