There is too little greytide

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

There is too little greytide

Post by CPTANT » #244064

Bottom post of the previous page:

There is. I rarely have to do with greytide at all while playing security.

In fact I would say a server culture has developed where greytide is seen as a bannable offence and a form of "being a shitter".

The fact is that greytide makes things interesting. Both for security and the tide.

A server culture has also developed where security either doesn't care about your crime, or outright perma's/ executes you.

I think at the core of this is the severity with which greytide and escalation from greytide (labeling such acts as banbaiting) are currently treated by the admin team.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: There is too little minor IC crime

Post by Grazyn » #274003

It isn't minor IC crime when a head does it. The time it took for the HoS to gear up, laser down the door, laser down the case, loot the room, was more than enough for the roundstart HoP to secure the items. But they didn't, so the HoS was more than justified in claiming captainship for themselves. A fast-reacting, armed, armoured captain is better for the station than a weak and slow bureaucrat who couldn't even fulfill their most basic functions.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #274164

We really need to bring back the ban requests forum. But just don't actually act on any of it. That shit is really leaking into every other thread.

It would be a place where people can bitch about shitters, or anyone who aggrevates them a little. Autism can reign supreme. A place where righteous anger can make internet strangers look down on you.

Wait we already have the cuck shed.
--Crocodillo

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #274212

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Just a shapeless amalgamation of unhelpful grief, that the current system cannot break the cycle of and since going public, we've just been sweeping in more pubbies that inflate and irritate the problem. Clowns dont tell jokes, mimes dont mime, assistants don't assist, chaplains are nutjobs (technically in description) etc.

People banned from hippie/cm wherever else come here because we're lenient to shittery.
fwoosh is not wrong for once
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #274249

bandit wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Just a shapeless amalgamation of unhelpful grief, that the current system cannot break the cycle of and since going public, we've just been sweeping in more pubbies that inflate and irritate the problem. Clowns dont tell jokes, mimes dont mime, assistants don't assist, chaplains are nutjobs (technically in description) etc.

People banned from hippie/cm wherever else come here because we're lenient to shittery.
well, fuck, it's time to close down the forums if fwoosh is right
Limey wrote:its too late.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #274256

Qbopper wrote:
bandit wrote:

but he is right more than you think
>animal farming

>hotkeys

>that toxins suggestion
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #274257

Armhulen wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
bandit wrote:

but he is right more than you think
>animal farming

>hotkeys

>that toxins suggestion
Something about stopped clocks being right.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274258

That'd actually be for a second time after oranges previously agreed with me on BIG-BOSS culture.

Im not completely indeniably mad in my perspective. What's mad is denying there is a problem and letting it continue but then complaining about it.
Back on topic does anybody actually have any ideas from the past 2 pages on how to actually deal with IC or is this just strawmen bancomplaints? How do you think we could change player culture or security practically to reach a outcome in which minor IC crime is punished meaningfully is why we are here today.
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
bandit

Post by bandit » #274264

the thing is that no one has come up with a solution

admin feedback pls
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274268

Ok then, i have two diametrically opposed solutions

- We follow swarge's comments on culture ignorance and get rid of security, and lend it to a full valid culture in which people are encouraged to defend their workspaces and lynch.

- We enforce minor space law clauses, and then create a form of enforced community service by giving people tracking shock collars which will be removed when the agreed service is done, the device while active removes non associated access and has a inbuilt tracking beacon. If they play up consistently, escalate the charge & throw them into brig. Without remote deactivation from the wardens office, the collar has to be surgically removed by lying the patient down and welding it off their neck.

The community service person is demoted into a assistant, and both the warden & the person they are entrusted to are given a trigger to deliver a shock if they play up.
We can either accept the chaos or be called ultra shitcurity and not be lenient to it, like those suggestions are not to be taken seriously but that's the diametric choice if we are to take a 'line' with the issue.

Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #274286

or you know, do nothing because this is usually cyclic and linked to changes in server population and people moving away and new people arriving and I have now been through this cycle at least twice before.
bandit

Post by bandit » #274295

the actual assistant is to punish and permaban if needed players who are consistently shit, but whenever people suggest that everyone cries about it

admin feedback pls
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274298

oranges wrote:or you know, do nothing because this is usually cyclic and linked to changes in server population and people moving away and new people arriving and I have now been through this cycle at least twice before.
Staff who are contributing to the problem are a static factor to creating a future negative issue, static staff who combat the problem will make the cycle smoother, such as what is being seen on CM as they are forcing a cycle of players (by banning the shit ones) and then putting responsible and trusted admins in charge of the fresh blood.

Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #274299

Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #274310

bandit wrote:the actual assistant is to punish and permaban if needed players who are consistently shit, but whenever people suggest that everyone cries about it
we should just do what people actually believe we already do and write up a secret shitlist of people who need to be banned, that way people have their retarded theories justified and we get to ban people to meet quotas

(it blows my mind that people think the admin team has some kind of plot or something, one minute we're all disorganized retards who can't even enforce policy the same, the next we're all criminal masterminds with a dark plot to ban dissenters)
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #274314

You can believe in ban quotas without believing in secret plots, you don't necessarily have to believe both
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Ok then, i have two diametrically opposed solutions

- We follow swarge's comments on culture ignorance and get rid of security, and lend it to a full valid culture in which people are encouraged to defend their workspaces and lynch.
We already have this, the server follows a "Stand your ground" policy, spacemen have no duty to retreat and defending your workplace with lethal force won't get you banned 90% of the times. Physical interactions outside your department are more finicky, but it usually boils down to "The first one to deal lethal (as in, not stamina or stun) damage waives his right to live and becomes valid". There are special situations were even non-lethal damage may make you valid but this is the general rule of thumb.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #274325

Grazyn wrote:You can believe in ban quotas without believing in secret plots, you don't necessarily have to believe both
I can tell you without even hesitating that the admin team is disorganized enough as is, there's nothing behind the scenes that anyone needs to worry about, and the secret handbook that people love to complain about boils down to "don't abuse your powers and join the IRC if you're adminning"

but that doesn't fit the narrative apparently
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #274591

bandit wrote:

Crazy ain't it? Honestly mimes are my biggest problem because it seems like the only reason people use the role for is griefing. Kor actually made me an antag once with the objective to kill the mime because he literally did nothing the entire round except break into and smash up medbay and chemistry as a nonantag. Nobody even gave a shit when I whipped out an ebow and esword in front of a bunch of people and sliced his head off. He was that awful.

I at least try to do entertaining gimmicks when I play as a clown and I've seen a fair number of other people try to as well.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274669

I can support jacoughs sentiment, sometimes the attitude to crime is so low people just kind of zone out and tolerate murder and abuse. Clowns lately pop a hernia if they haven't tried to slip and fullstrip rob you by abusing slip mechanics & slippy PDA in the last few minutes. Assistants actually help criminals to escape because its much more incentivised for them to get a reward from a traitor than "good-boi" points or a mutual reward from security from their disadvantaged position of 0 metagaming potential

- I never let clowns come even 1 tile into my personal space for that reason, some clowns are better than others at it but a LOT of clowns abuse it for grief, fuck slippy PDA's they should be de-lubed via PR and sec should crack down & destroy clown PDA's that are abused.

I've even myself thought "fuck that" and left someone blatently with a esword go about their business as long as they weren't immediately harrassing myself or anybody else while notifying the larger security bloc.

- There is no OOC loyalty to sec, and most players who carry out IC crime have a viewpoint that sec is also diametrically antagonistic to them with ("Fuck the police") kind of mottos. Lizards & assistants fall into this category as to stereotype their disadvantaged position on the station and a instigators of crime.

The more i think about it, the less and less i condone administrators siding with antagonists as allies seeking to guide and support them as well as those who commit crime on all levels. It shows admins in a negative light as less interested in normal extended round station play and more in watching destruction unfold. Admins should in my viewpoint take up the moral viewpoint of centcomm in generally condemning the activities but outlining as admins the nessecary steps and boundaries antagnonists can take rather than be instigators playing the opposite unless to requests from a emagged communications console.

Point in case of multiple admins elating new antagonists in the admin complaints forum, even head admins like HG spawning in 'second chances' to traitors just to set up the hard working remainder of a station to fail or fall to woe. Admins have no pride in a station that functions properly.

Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #274675

FantasticFwoosh wrote: The more i think about it, the less and less i condone administrators siding with antagonists as allies seeking to guide and support them as well as those who commit crime on all levels. It shows admins in a negative light as less interested in normal extended round station play and more in watching destruction unfold. Admins should in my viewpoint take up the moral viewpoint of centcomm in generally condemning the activities but outlining as admins the nessecary steps and boundaries antagnonists can take rather than be instigators playing the opposite unless to requests from a emagged communications console.

Point in case of multiple admins elating new antagonists in the admin complaints forum, even head admins like HG spawning in 'second chances' to traitors just to set up the hard working remainder of a station to fail or fall to woe. Admins have no pride in a station that functions properly.
I have no idea what this even means. I don't even know why HG is mentioned when they aren't even on the .txt
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274681

Admins egging on traitors to do things, then abusing their powers to support them doing it for second chances. They shouldn't be on the natural side of antags, and should be interested in preserving the station rather than pushing it closer to destruction. When nothing antagonistic is happening, admins like yourself go AFK and just screw off to IRC and let RNG events & IRC button presses do the work meaning you're less involved with watching the round closely for little issues.

- There must be something wrong with progression in that its not interesting enough to keep your attention or all admins are secretly attention deficient and impulsive.

Like that prior complaint about Kor Jacough mentioned, i know of many instances where Kor has bascially said "Sure go do that, i'll pretty much support your quest for revenge/ or to do X" just because it might be interesting.

Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #274719

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Admins egging on traitors to do things, then abusing their powers to support them doing it for second chances. They shouldn't be on the natural side of antags, and should be interested in preserving the station rather than pushing it closer to destruction. When nothing antagonistic is happening, admins like yourself go AFK and just screw off to IRC and let RNG events & IRC button presses do the work meaning you're less involved with watching the round closely for little issues.

- There must be something wrong with progression in that its not interesting enough to keep your attention or all admins are secretly attention deficient and impulsive.

Like that prior complaint about Kor Jacough mentioned, i know of many instances where Kor has bascially said "Sure go do that, i'll pretty much support your quest for revenge/ or to do X" just because it might be interesting.
You have to realize that admins are not players. The admin plays a game master role rather than a player participant role. The mere fact that admins can send messages with Central Command's name on them (which we can change as a whim) does not mean we have some stake in keeping the round stable or operating to some sort of equilibrium against the antags. Its the players, security specifically, who are tasked with handling crime and antag behavior. The mere fact that we can create more antagonists merely means that we can push the storyline, for lack of a better word, forward in a round that has stagnated or, as you say, make something interesting happen.

I can't think of a time in recent memory where an antag was given a second shot at something. More often than not players will attempt to "TC trade" for a saving throw or a revive or somesuch. The rule for that is generally "You're too dead to trade TC."

"or all admins are secretly attention deficient and impulsive"
Want to tell me the general player reaction to seeing the Extended notice outside of lowpop? Its not "oh good, I get to build my projects and do interesting RP things without having to eat an ebow to the ass." Generally the response from the current player culture is "suicide hopline." As has been explained already, our server culture has gotten to such a pitch and tenor that there is no spark to do things that aren't bash the antags or griff when there are no antags. That's why we get so many "valids secured, call the shuttle" or "I didn't roll antag but we know the roundtype now, call the shuttle" style round endings. That's not even a lack of tools. We have all sorts of tools specifically crafted to make and create things. We have increasingly easy tools to use to make interesting projects on station and things the players can do to interact that don't involve making some other dude's sprite explode or turn 90 degrees sideways. The problem is, players are just not interested in that right now.

If we want to complain about antags, lets get to brass tacks. Antag status has been, for as long as I can remember, a coveted "reward" from RNGesus that players would and still do enter rounds just to see if they get it. If they get it, they participate in the round because 1) they get OOC protection for being a dick to other players as per the rules and can generally just do as they please 2) we've coded a huge laundry list of toys that only antags get to play with and those toys are almost without exception stronger than anything you'll find or make on the station. When the player doesn't get antag status they'll afk in the dorms or whatever until the round antag reveals itself and then either charge off to hunt valids or just wait for the next round.
A lot of this comes from ease of design. Its much easier to design a new traitor item or weapon than it is to design a new or interesting system for construction/engineering/science/medical. We've attempted or considered changes for these departments to make them more interesting or at least give them some more interesting interactions and the response is often that the changes would interfere with the "high speed action" that the server culture craves. We've shaved more and more of the roleplay out of a roleplaying game (on a server named after /tg/ of all things) and slowly converted it into a griefy combat simulator that just happens to take place on something calling itself a space station. That's not something you can just code out. You can't suddenly convert the server back to where it was 3ish years ago where we prided ourselves on being the middle ground between Bay and any of the infinite hub RDM servers without a shift in server culture and that isn't going to fix itself when we go through wave after wave of hub players joining, finding 80%+ of the server just fucking off and tiding around or validhunting and joining in on what's apparently expected. Grief gets noticed because it is loud and visible. Players roleplaying amongst themselves or doing their department jobs without grief doesn't get noticed and its harder for new players to see. They can definitely see Static Name #3435 running around, yelling and smashing windows to get whatever it is they want without response. They can see sec getting swarmed by non-antag greys for trying to make a reasonable arrest and thing "yeah, that's what I'm supposed to do because they're doing it."

tl:dr - You aren't going to fix tiding without a culture shift away from grief for grief's sake.
You aren't going to motivate new players to play the game without turning into battle griffons themselves without some enticement.
You aren't going to make some players stop being griffons without motivation to stop because they thrive on the attention they get for doing it.
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #274829

- I never let clowns come even 1 tile into my personal space for that reason, some clowns are better than others at it but a LOT of clowns abuse it for grief, fuck slippy PDA's they should be de-lubed via PR and sec should crack down & destroy clown PDA's that are abused.
NOX clown rules when?

The clown is not human and is not protected or bound by server rules except:
1: Don't meta, hack, or exploit.
2: Don't do anything that ruins the station at large. No plasma, no bombs, no atmos fuckery, no significant hull breaches.

Edit: Oh wow I just realized something. We're turning into NOX but without the right attitude or rules. NOX was awesome before it went to shit and collapsed. Even with NOX's playstyle I remember there was more RP and often less grief there than we have here right now.
--Crocodillo

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #274833

We're turning into NOX but without the right attitude or rules.
Don't really have anything to add that is not a rehash of what I've already said a thousand times (admins have been misguided in their application of the rules) but I'm glad other people see it.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #274856

Kor wrote:
We're turning into NOX but without the right attitude or rules.
Don't really have anything to add that is not a rehash of what I've already said a thousand times (admins have been misguided in their application of the rules) but I'm glad other people see it.
if that's what people seem to agree on then we need to start addressing that problem instead of minor IC crime/etc.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #276326

NOX was never awesome, it was 100% garbage all the time
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #279144

CPTANT got what they wanted. Now there's too much "minor" IC crime.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #279184

Edit: Oh wow I just realized something. We're turning into NOX but without the right attitude or rules. NOX was awesome before it went to shit and collapsed. Even with NOX's playstyle I remember there was more RP and often less grief there than we have here right now.
You literally just suggested killing someone for slipping you and making the clown have less rules than they have currently so they can cause more grief lol.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #281578

Call me very salty but im actually going to call out low IC crime as actually feigning insanity, and i mean shitty harmless or otherwise very disrupting nonharmful griefing.

People push for a reaction when its quite clearly RP ADHD or criminal tendencies (RP kleptomania for hoarders) and a sick personal desire to make others suffer by pushing them into dangerous situations. If you shoot people dead in the halls and say 'MY CHARACTER IS CRAZY' you are commiting the same IC crime as hacking a door because you must have a object 'I NEED THAT ITEM *BECAUSE MY CHARACTER IS A HOARDING KLEPTOMANIAC') or constant harrassment. (obviously not in the same scope but the same shared thing)

Remember Emily Ranger? she became infamous for being a pain in the ass to security by stealing their weapons every round regardless of the round to be a annoyance, and then run around the halls while sec floundered after her, often crying when she was caught. that kind of shitty behaviour, especially when it gets to be associated with a meta identity (a persona that carries across rounds) that is expected to do those things.

- Bumping because shittery just increased 120% with lots of fresh blood over easter holiday.

Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #281701

Shotgun the shit out of the scum. Come down on the crowd with flashbangs and riotguns. No mercy; the lawis the law.
The crime is life! The sentence is death!
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #281812

Someone needs to clarify what it means to say "We're like Nox was".

My position is that we've basically reached the point where security can act like antags minus certain acts of mass destruction. You can take people out of the round for the flimsiest of reasons and toss people in the gulag on a whim (just make sure if you get bwoinked to play stupid) and when you release them stand in the doorway on harm intent until they try to push you, and then immediately execute them for assaulting an officer.

I'm glad to see we have more admins (aka former tiders) who are reigning in security. People fucking with sec is not a shocking consequence if you let Sec play like they're antags then people start to treat sec like antags - but since we can't just murder asshole officers like we can antags, we have to resort to griff-lite.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #281816

Oldman Robustin wrote:My position is that we've basically reached the point where security can act like antags minus certain acts of mass destruction. You can take people out of the round for the flimsiest of reasons and toss people in the gulag on a whim (just make sure if you get bwoinked to play stupid) and when you release them stand in the doorway on harm intent until they try to push you, and then immediately execute them for assaulting an officer.

actually what

if this happens to you and you ahelp it i don't see a single admin on the team letting that slide

I'm glad to see we have more admins (aka former tiders) who are reigning in security. People fucking with sec is not a shocking consequence if you let Sec play like they're antags then people start to treat sec like antags - but since we can't just murder asshole officers like we can antags, we have to resort to griff-lite.

I fail to see how greytiding accomplishes anything but pissing officers off so they end up abusing people even more than they previously would have
Specifically
we've basically reached the point where security can act like antags
this may have been true previously but this is wild hyperbole right now
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #281819

Oldman Robustin wrote:I'm glad to see we have more admins (aka former tiders) who are reigning in security.
That's actually incredibly awful. Recently, it makes each round run like an anarchy full of non-antag revolutionaries in all but antag status breaking into places, ransacking offices, looting key items, calling for silicons and other tiders to save their sorry ass once arrested and acting like they did nothing wrong.

Then they complain about security imposing any kind of repercussions on them, and god forbid, taking them out of the round so that they don't have to deal with the same shitheads again. Then security gets bwoinked if they actually remove players from the game, which results in the most obnoxious players thriving, with no one stopping them in any meaningful way.

Even if a greyshirt is stopped, they don't tire and do the exact same thing next round. Then others jump on they greyshirt badwagon and grab all access from the original greyshirt and loot from whatever they can lay their hands on, knowing they won't be punished. There's no deterrent from IC or OOC perspective - it's easy, admins won't punish them, and security can't go too hard on them, else they get punished by admins.

Of course, you are a part of that problem
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #281853

Everyone acts like a antags (assistants loot everything not nailed down and constantly hack to steal objects like the captains id, rarely does a traitor even bother to take it when they know they can just double esword the HOP), sec's primary purpose in IC sec is to keep a lid on this. So treat everyone like antags which have to be removed from the round (actually shitty members of security who also hoard and are shitters don't help relations)

The only surefire way to actually knock someone out so they can't use their hands or react is to put them on NO2 internals which is becoming incredibly more popular amongst sec, because it deals with lings/sleeping carp/adrenals & people squirming who might use a self detonation implant/storage implant still enough to deal with them via surgery. They entirely relinquish control to try and twist the knife of the situation with repeated pushing/resistance even when they are in the cell or been let free after serving a sentence. Maybe we need to encourage more use of the gulag.

- To prior point of character associated behaviour, restlessness and aggression is basically RP pick and choose (Mental difficulties/ADHD/Anger issues) and generally the acceptable behavior along these lines are reserved for antagonists. Act antag, get removed from the round.

To cure a shitter who even after they are caught once immediately re-offend with either the same tactic or vendetta you (try to disarm your taser and shoot you before running of with it and adding it to their collection of backpack looted shit) you need to remove their presence out of the game. Sec is only borderline allowed to do that, and thankfully we NEED to act more antagonistically and harsh to deal with in reaction, because even though admins claim ("yeah if they do it repeatedly across rounds over and over we ban them") it never actually happens because admins don't even stop for 1 or two rounds at a time.

Sybil is a lawless wasteland right now and its not even the most populated.
> One solution is to retroactively punish them by backing up a genetic copy then publically sentencing them to death = waste their time and clone

- Lethal chemical implants are technically taking them out of the round, so those are never used anyway.

Spoiler:
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #281862

For once I have to say, Fwoosh is correct.

I don't believe admins are actually doing much about repeat offenders as far as that "griff-lite" is concerned. It's something we're told a lot, but frankly, I haven't seen many players ever really give up that playstyle at all.
Last edited by Slignerd on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cedarbridge

Re: There is too little greytide

Post by cedarbridge » #281871

Part of the thing with IC law enforcement is that we don't actually have a fixed standard for law enforcement. We don't require Spess Law because the spectre of CBD hangs over security even still. There seems to be this cultural thing where we just presume that sec will turn minor offenses into 30 minute perma sentences just because they can or because predictable brig timers "require" it. I don't see evidence of this but what I do see currently is that the lack of visible standards makes law enforcement for sec a crapshoot. Nobody knows how long to set a brig sentence because its entirely up to either the warden or the arresting officer at the time. The only limitation we place on anyone is "don't just recycle 10 minute sentences into a pseudoperma for minor offenses." Apart from that, all brig sentences are assumed to be mere IC issues and administration doesn't get involved. This is a problem for sec because the expectations are so wide open that it can be exceptionally hard to determine what is expected of them. Its an issue for players being arrested because they don't really have a standard to appeal to. The lawyer is a double joke because where there is no standard to appeal to, there's no IC basis for him to argue for an inmate's release. He's just obnoxious until he gets thrown out of the brig and his headset taken away. If you want to talk about what law enforcement can and cannot do you have to have standards for sec to follow and then hold them to following those standards. The players interacting with sec then have to also understand those standards and accept that if they play stupid games they win stupid prizes.

Another side issue we have is that we're rapidly evolving (devolving?) into a team deathmatch server with preconditions. Its very rare that anyone calls for security unless its an AI/borg. If somebody tears up science, science will rarely if ever call sec. They'll just grab the nearest object and unzip valids. While I will admit that it does feel really good to turn some nerd breaking into your department into paste, it feels like we just have entirely too much vigilantism as a whole. Maybe this is just going to turn into another whine about RP, but somebody brought up an important point in OOC earlier. Our server culture has gone to such a point that people just play to "win" or to make somebody else "lose." Too much of our server population bases their entire play experience on either being the antag, acting like an antag, or finding and dunking the antag. Its the same sort of ugly cultural shift that leads to shitty immersion breaking things like "ITS <ANTAG TYPE>!" shouts over comms when whatever the roundtype is has been discovered by some evidence. I feel very justified in my attempts to metabreak those sorts of rounds quite regularly to punish that sort of mentality. Somebody once complained in an ahelp after being questioned by another admin on the subject "What's the difference between "Its revs" and "There's a revolution?"" This just emphasizes that OOC information and IC information have blurred so much that players don't see the difference anymore. We see a lot of that, also, in the way antags are handled with shuttle calls. If sec does a solid job and kills a handful of traitors, suddenly everyone gets "bored" and calls the shuttle. Valids secured, lets go home and roll for antag. I worry we just have too short of an attention span during higher population hours. During lower populations, projects get built, conversations and relationships are built, people cooperate on things. High pop rounds are lucky to survive the mandatory 20 minutes.
Spoiler:
Apologies to anyone who read this disorganized ranting mess.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #281872

The problem I see with cracking down on greytiders as an admin is the repercussions

So let's say greyshirt mcshit has been smashing shit all round, stole the spare, beating people up, etc. etc. and everyone is pissed with him

What do I do here? Do I do something IC to get him to stop/make him stop? Do I bwoink him and tell him to quit being shit? Do I ban him for being a useless piece of shit?

If I do something IC it usually doesn't work

If I bwoink him and make a note no one sees that and they eventually forget about it

If I ban them for being shit then I cause a massive shitstorm of drama and forum debates, and going off previous rule 0 bans, they usually just get quickly unbanned anyways

It's a lot easier to err on the side of caution than it is to just ban people, because where do we draw the line? At what point do we say X has caused enough grief to warrant a ban? What do we define as stuff that is shitty? Does context matter? Not only do you have to personally define those line, you have to defend your position in the inevitable ban appeal, to the banned person, random forum goers, and usually other admins.

I would personally love to start actually cracking down on people like this, but when the end result is going to be forum drama and likely an unban for the guy anyways, why bother?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #281879

Qbopper wrote:I would personally love to start actually cracking down on people like this, but when the end result is going to be forum drama and likely an unban for the guy anyways, why bother?
This is also true for most admins that I have interacted with to a certain degree. We know, by name, the players who add very little to rounds except cause trouble for other players and generally take it upon themself to be a mini-antag every round to the degree that some players can't even tell the difference between Shit McGrey being an asshole like always and Shit McGrey actually rolling antag and doing antag things. I'm not a huge fan of dropping rule 0 bans just to remove kebab because it turns into instant accusations of witch-hunting and bias. If I determine that Dreams-of-Trees is just an asshole who starts every round by looting the captain's office and then makes his way to the teleporter to loot a handtele and half the armory every chance he gets, I might personally decide that he's a shitter that needs to be removed for just being a play-to-win tumor on the server. Somebody else might decide that they like him or they appreciate his ability to do so as evidence of being "robust." Dropping a ban on that behavior would just turn into a 30 page thread of back and forth armchair quarterbacking that ends when one headmin or the other decides to unban the offender to just make the noise go away.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #281885

That's the biggest problem to me, at least - I think there's got to be a point where someone puts their foot down, but I don't know who that will be or when

Rule zero may not even exist by now - the rule says we can intervene in the interests of the playerbase, but it doesn't work, because people will step up to defend known players who do this shit all the time (cedar isn't kidding when we say we know these people by name) and then nothing will come of the ban but you looking like a tyrannical asshole and they banned player getting of scot free
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #281896

The only obvious solution is some sort of secret cabal made up of players and admins who can pass judgement and remove people we don't like.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #281924

Qbopper wrote: If I ban them for being shit then I cause a massive shitstorm of drama and forum debates, and going off previous rule 0 bans, they usually just get quickly unbanned anyways
This is the thing that irks me, 'cause the people who do this line-toeing bullshit are usually the sort to scream chapter and verse about the rules and procedure and not being treated fairly when you smack them for it, followed by a big public stink about how unfair their ban was while leaving out what they were actually banned for.

It's cut from the same cloth as acting like a childish cunt and starting arguments in OOC and wrecking people's stuff in-game while bringing nothing positive and generally acting like the sort of shitheel that nobody wants around, but the instant anyone in any position of authority whatsoever gives them anything close to what they're dishing out themselves, suddenly it's "reeeeee power abuse authoritarian power tripping badmins throwing their weight around whaaaa" and everything has to be elevated and appealed to a federal fucking supreme court over violating their divine constitutional right to impose their shittery upon everyone else.

Top tip: you lose nothing of value by showing them the door.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #281928

cedarbridge wrote:We see a lot of that, also, in the way antags are handled with shuttle calls. If sec does a solid job and kills a handful of traitors, suddenly everyone gets "bored" and calls the shuttle. Valids secured, lets go home and roll for antag. I worry we just have too short of an attention span during higher population hours. During lower populations, projects get built, conversations and relationships are built, people cooperate on things. High pop rounds are lucky to survive the mandatory 20 minutes.
Spoiler:
Apologies to anyone who read this disorganized ranting mess.
No worries, though i went crosseyed trying to read the entire thing in depth.

If rounds are long with no ghost roles (things to actively do post death, helps satiate poor attention spans with meaningless tasks), most people aren't interested enough to stay unless there's something actively happening to watch leading to depopulation.We can't support mining/space adventure or extended building projects effectively because a "I stubbed my toe lets go home" leniency to accepting the defined round is over, you still have to catch heads from sending off the shuttle with authorisations to bwoink non-antag to this current day.

> I partially cite the coders for either not trying hard enough with clarity on what we want the game to be (long rounds with interesting thoughtful progression, or shitloads of throwaway meme items, overpowered objects & antagonists to play a game) We should all be singing off the same hymnsheet even if maintainers have to screw their thumbs and force close PR's without a VERY good arguement why you should do X.

> The bad culture for sec is purported by shitty players who are not outed by other security or admins, demoting people is too slow & trivial, unfortunately without being strict and somewhat biased against sec like we have been (to detoxify influx of sec players) to loosen up the bias creates a breeding pool for shitty-sec.
Oranges probably has a better grasp of this, as to loosely paraphrase them the server constantly goes in cycles of players, things change hands and former shitter become admins but there are always fresh faces while SS13 remains culturally popular as a game on the BYOND hub, many people for instance throw shit at CM but they have managed to completely detoxify their current pool of notoriously shitty griefers (given the range of scope for error) by banning them outright on slight offences.

Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #282036

Screemonster wrote:Top tip: you lose nothing of value by showing them the door.
The problem is that I don't gain anything as the situation won't change beyond me probably getting yelled at on the forums/the other stuff I mentioned

Unless we start doing things like "I want to rule zero [player], here's why, convince me I'm wrong" to get the admins on the same page beforehand (and good fucking luck with that working out), or something similar, the situation will not change
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #282163

cedarbridge wrote: If I determine that Dreams-of-Trees is just an asshole who starts every round by looting the captain's office and then makes his way to the teleporter to loot a handtele and half the armory every chance he gets, I might personally decide that he's a imperfect person playing an imperfect game that needs to be removed for just being a play-to-win tumor on the server.
I don't like how if I'm Sec I have to pretend I don't know they're a worthless player who's going to continue being shit, and I have to catch them multiple times before I can finally remove the menace.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #282172

cedarbridge wrote:Its very rare that anyone calls for security unless its an AI/borg. If somebody tears up science, science will rarely if ever call sec. They'll just grab the nearest object and unzip valids. While I will admit that it does feel really good to turn some nerd breaking into your department into paste, it feels like we just have entirely too much vigilantism as a whole. Maybe this is just going to turn into another whine about RP, but somebody brought up an important point in OOC earlier. Our server culture has gone to such a point that people just play to "win" or to make somebody else "lose."
it has been this way since i can remember on tg so I don't know where you come up with the comment "gone to such a point"
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #282179

Lazengann wrote:
cedarbridge wrote: If I determine that Dreams-of-Trees is just an asshole who starts every round by looting the captain's office and then makes his way to the teleporter to loot a handtele and half the armory every chance he gets, I might personally decide that he's a imperfect person playing an imperfect game that needs to be removed for just being a play-to-win tumor on the server.
I don't like how if I'm Sec I have to pretend I don't know they're a worthless player who's going to continue being shit, and I have to catch them multiple times before I can finally remove the menace.
I mean, metagrudging is against the rules for a reason.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #282182

Obviously but if the admins won't ban the offenders because they don't want a forum thread popping up then I sure don't want to deal with them as Sec
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #282203

cedarbridge wrote:
Lazengann wrote:
Similar to how characters are allowed to know everything about ingame mechanics or antagonists under rule 2, characters are allowed to have persistent knowledge/relationships/friendships with the caveat that knowledge of a character being an antagonist from a previous round is not used.

hmmmmm.....
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #282216

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:characters are allowed to have persistent knowledge/relationships/friendships with the caveat that knowledge of a character being an antagonist from a previous round is not used.
What's a caveat?
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #282228

When I say we're like NOX without the rules or attitude I mean we're like if 4chan tried to take itself seriously. NOX was full of asshats fucking with each other and the clown seeing where the line is before he gets murdered and the best way to cross that line. There was a certain camaraderie in the shenanigans on NOX before it went to shit. Everyone was an asshole and everyone got along because of it. I can say I had way more interesting RP experiences on NOX because kooky shit would happen but if it went too far no one was too afraid of getting banned to handle it.

SS13 was supposed to be about paranoia and mistrust IC, /tg/ has become too much paranoia and mistrust OOC, and that's the problem. Half the server is rules lawyering to figure out exactly how much valid hunting and grief they can get away with without getting banned.
--Crocodillo

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282229

cmspano wrote:When I say we're like NOX without the rules or attitude I mean we're like if 4chan tried to take itself seriously. NOX was full of asshats fucking with each other and the clown seeing where the line is before he gets murdered and the best way to cross that line. There was a certain camaraderie in the shenanigans on NOX before it went to shit. Everyone was an asshole and everyone got along because of it. I can say I had way more interesting RP experiences on NOX because kooky shit would happen but if it went too far no one was too afraid of getting banned to handle it.

SS13 was supposed to be about paranoia and mistrust IC, /tg/ has become too much paranoia and mistrust OOC, and that's the problem. Half the server is rules lawyering to figure out exactly how much valid hunting and grief they can get away with without getting banned.
I see no difference in what you've described, we've already arrived at this point but we barely ban anybody have cross juristicative rules set, and enforced by ex shitters and as they say themselves, too scared of forum drama or being witchhunted to do anything. Shitters won, shut up shop, put up with the pain or take out the trash.

Can we go full north korea mode?

Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #282245

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Lazengann wrote:
Similar to how characters are allowed to know everything about ingame mechanics or antagonists under rule 2, characters are allowed to have persistent knowledge/relationships/friendships with the caveat that knowledge of a character being an antagonist from a previous round is not used.

hmmmmm.....
I know, I was thinking that bit over too. I think there's some value in prohibiting carrying a grudge between rounds over prohibiting positive thoughts or feelings between rounds. I'd rather players got along more between rounds than used previous antag rounds as an excuse to hound the other until valids.