Drone laws

christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Drone laws

Post by christ110 » #261625

Started by https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24550

It appears that drone laws and subsequent policy might need changes. I propose that we forbid drones from interacting with sentient beings only, instead of living things. This also means that interacting with borgs will be forbidden, under the previous laws, this was unclear.

Besides, all this means is that drones can do xenobio or mining, maybe milk a few cows, etc. There will be issues regarding simple mobs that gain sentience via pink slime extract or the random sentience event. But, they can always kill the drone, or say something which will let the drone know that the mob is sentient.

Thoughts?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: Drone laws

Post by Wyzack » #261629

Poor gunhog, he just wants to code things leave him alone
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #261636

Reeeee they're just supposed to repair things and keep getting features added for not-construction things
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #261640

I don't see a need to change to policy. Drones are already capable of doing a lot of things their laws don't allow. Same as any other player role. No reason to change policy to allow them to do those things.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #261643

What if a drone makes a slime farm, fucks off, or dies, and someone else dies because of the slimes?

What will stop people from megafauna fighting as drones?

NPC's are non sentient, just mobs. Does that mean you would be able to salvage the space pirate ruin?

It's a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #261654

Drones while fun to have aren't too hard to get.
Therefore they're a zero effort ghost tour.
Therefore they don't need more abilities
However his PR shouldn't get turned down because this is a player issue not a code issue.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #261655

If anything enforcement of drone rules are a little lax at the moment, given how frequently drones misbehave and either have to be blown or adminhelped.

Also as PKP said, they're repair drones, not second lives where you can go do stuff so long as you don't interact with other players. People seem to have this weird obsession with them doing not-repair things because "muh RP" which seems to translate to "I want to be able to fuck around with the station and be unaccountable since "I can't interact!""

Lets make it so that a mind can only occupy one drone per round so that getting your ass blown/killed as a drone actually means something rather then hopping in drone body #32 and carrying on your merry way

e: I should clarify that I think GunHog's PR is fine, its the rabid opposition to drones continuing not to have access to something they didn't have access to that perplexes and irritates me.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #261665

LEAVE

GUNHOG

ALONE
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #261682

D&B wrote:What if a drone makes a slime farm, fucks off, or dies, and someone else dies because of the slimes?
Then the drone gets bwoinked or banned because slimes are non-drone beings.
The drone gets bwoinked or banned because megafauna are non-drone beings.
NPC's are non sentient, just mobs. Does that mean you would be able to salvage the space pirate ruin?
No, because NPCs and mobs are still non-drone beings.

If it isn't an object, isn't part of the station, and isn't another drone, then don't fucking interact with it, ever. It baffles me that people find this so difficult.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #261685

christ110 wrote: I propose that we forbid drones from interacting with sentient beings only, instead of living things. This also means that interacting with borgs will be forbidden, under the previous laws, this was unclear.

Thoughts?
Bandit wins the "not reading the thread" award.

D&B

Post by D&B » #261690

bandit wrote:
D&B wrote:What if a drone makes a slime farm, fucks off, or dies, and someone else dies because of the slimes?
Then the drone gets bwoinked or banned because slimes are non-drone beings.
The drone gets bwoinked or banned because megafauna are non-drone beings.
No, because NPCs and mobs are still non-drone beings.

If it isn't an object, isn't part of the station, and isn't another drone, then don't fucking interact with it, ever. It baffles me that people find this so difficult.
Did you read the fucking thread
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #261702

Once again, here is a handy chart for all your drone related questions.

Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #261714

christ110 wrote:Started by https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24550

It appears that drone laws and subsequent policy might need changes. I propose that we forbid drones from interacting with sentient beings only, instead of living things. This also means that interacting with borgs will be forbidden, under the previous laws, this was unclear.

Besides, all this means is that drones can do xenobio or mining, maybe milk a few cows, etc. There will be issues regarding simple mobs that gain sentience via pink slime extract or the random sentience event. But, they can always kill the drone, or say something which will let the drone know that the mob is sentient.

Thoughts?
You've set out a solution without stating a problem. You've also not stated why that unstated problem needs to be solved by the solution. There's currently no reason that drones should be doing xenobio or mining. drones are meant as second layer repair bots that usually just build autism forts. Giving them mining and xenobio on a policy level just leads to a lot of really murky policy and tries to turn drones into a second life role. They were never meant to be "as long as I have a drone shell I can keep doing what I did before I died."
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #261729

Can we just remove the laws, give them flavor text that explicitly states what we want drones to do, or just remove the damn things?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #261731

It's not necessary to change policy to allow things that aren't currently allowed just because a few shitters are doing it / capable of doing it anyway.

If someone leaves their door unlocked, you don't see the police going "oh hey well we might as well make burglary legal since there wasn't a mechanical restriction preventing that burglar from entering the property"

and equally it doesn't make sense to lock people out of their own house to keep burglars out
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #261786

Why is it that drone laws are always confusing for people? The OP's version of drone laws are incorrect and interruption is incorrect.

Default drone laws:
Spoiler:
"1. You may not involve yourself in the matters of another being, even if such matters conflict with Law Two or Law Three, unless the other being is another Drone."
"2. You may not harm any being, regardless of intent or circumstance."
"3. Your goals are to build, maintain, repair, improve, and power the station to the best of your abilities, You must never actively work against these goals."
You literally can not interact with any other being, living or otherwise; so you can't touch that corpse, that cockroach, Ian, a borg, pAI, or really anything besides other drones and obvious inanimate objects that nobody else is using or is important(E.G. drone shouldn't touch the nuclear disk or loose weapons). Your job is to repair and improve the station.

As far as way drone are treated being pretty lax is kinda funny, considering the fact I believe some the most common bans levied are drone bans. Admins don't let drones have free reign; so if they get ahelped for violating laws they're going to receive a talking about their laws to being drone banned for breaking them.
Freedom
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #261789

But if it no longer is alive, is it really a being instead of dead matter?

This is a serious philosophical problem.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
D&B

Post by D&B » #261790

R E A D

T H E

O P
Spoiler:
fuck you
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #261791

Apologies. As I have a migraine so my comprehension isn't the best at the moment. Still after getting these drone law debates we're not going to change drone laws to allow drones to play with a camera to interact with shit. It's another case of IGNORE IT if you want to play drone.

By the way a change to drone laws would be coder territory first; not policy discussion as you'd have to change the laws. As far as somehow playing some weird policy game where this is okay to interact with things, but this interaction here isn't. That isn't going to happen.

Also, reflecting back on why I made that post that seems like I ignored the OP was more along to the OP's line here, "This also means that interacting with borgs will be forbidden, under the previous laws, this was unclear." I made it clear since we were not clear apparently with that previous post.
Freedom
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #262531

To the question at hand, nah, they shouldn't. Drones shouldn't be fucking around with NPCs just as they shouldn't mess with players.

But, since a thread on drone-related policy exists, I've got to say some things.

First off, interpretation of the drone lawset is all over the place.

The wiki suggests that drones should ignore beings as if they don't exist. (The laws don't even suggest that)
Most people believe that drones should not be interacting with beings in the slightest. (The laws don't actually say that.)

So, I'm bringing this law into question for policy questions.

1. You may not involve yourself in the matters of another being, even if such matters conflict with Law Two or Law Three, unless the other being is another Drone.

First question, what can you do if another being involves itself in your matters? Are you allowed to interact with them accordingly? Does this mean you can you set up a little DroneMart™ and try to serve patrons that approach the counter?
If drones can't do these things. Then I think the law needs to be re-written to be more clear-cut on that.

Second question, is taking items from somebody's workplace involving yourself in their matters? Is whether or not they're present a factor in this?

Third question, what defines a being, exactly? Fluff-wise, plants are living things. But in-game they're simply reagent-holding items.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #262546

If someone throws a shitfit because a drone was doing xenobio when nobody else was and wasn't like summoning golems to grief or something I say we turn the person bitching into a drone with no hands.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
D&B

Post by D&B » #262547

It doesn't matter if someone else was doing it or not, drones are not meant to be treated as a second Life for you to do whatever you want, hence being restricted to repairing and improving.

Proposing to punish someone for reporting someone breaching their laws is the stupidest fucking idea I've read this week, congrats on that.
Spoiler:
fuck you
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #262549

D&B wrote:It doesn't matter if someone else was doing it or not, drones are not meant to be treated as a second Life for you to do whatever you want, hence being restricted to repairing and improving.

Proposing to punish someone for reporting someone breaching their laws is the stupidest fucking idea I've read this week, congrats on that.
If they aren't bothering the crew at all, what does it matter to you what the drones are doing? What excuse do you have for ahelping that a drone is doing xenobio besides "I want to rules lawyer this drone into trouble"?

If you do this you're a bad person flat-out.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #262551

ShadowDimentio wrote:
D&B wrote:It doesn't matter if someone else was doing it or not, drones are not meant to be treated as a second Life for you to do whatever you want, hence being restricted to repairing and improving.

If they aren't bothering the crew at all, what does it matter to you what the drones are doing? What excuse do you have for ahelping that a drone is doing xenobio besides "I want to rules lawyer this drone into trouble"?

If you do this you're a bad person flat-out.
>following the rules as written and wanting others to also follow those rules makes you a bad person
lad
D&B

Post by D&B » #262552

You're given explicit rules of what not to do, and you are willingly breaking that.

If you don't want to be restricted, then don't click the drone and you're set. But don't go getting into something that has boundaries, and then claim you're a victim of rule lawyers and administration when you're breaking those boundaries knowingly.
Spoiler:
fuck you
D&B

Post by D&B » #262553

Furthermore, working on xenobio DOES affect others if someone decides to make use of what you produced. Suddenly greytiders mcshit has an army of sentient creature they gained by breaking in and stealing the product that wasn't supposed to be produced by a player breaking rules that shouldn't be broken
Spoiler:
fuck you
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #262554

The real issue here is that, as stated earlier, drones are restricted from doing anything that affects any non-drone being directly because those sorts of activities are reserved for actual living players. Drones are just a "have something to do for a while before the round ends but stay away from players" role. You're not meant to treat it as a second life because, for the same reason as respawns, it cheapens your actual IC life. Why care if the antag dunks you if you can just respawn as a drone and go back to autisming your slimes?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #262566

policy does not need to be changed.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #262568

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:Can we just remove the laws, give them flavor text that explicitly states what we want drones to do
^this

Drone laws have been written and re-written and re-written again to try to find the perfect wording, yet people still argue about the definition of "being" and "involve" going as far as to say that current laws allow drones to set up a bar, breed slimes, and steal everything from RnD. Just accept the fact that finding a perfect wording is impossible. There will always be someone nitpicking the laws to find the most efficient laws-complaint way to grief/annoy others. A flavor text with OOC directives on what they can and can't do, like we have for other ghost roles, would be much better.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #262570

They're not realistically laws to the same degree as silicons, it was literally just meant to be flavour text.

changing the format of the laws won't really help people who always push the boundaries
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #262601

Right, hence you remove the laws entirely and replace it with an OOC addendum that the purpose of drones is to repair and improve the station, nothing more or less and that doing anything outside this, including interacting with any non-drone beings can/will get you in trouble.

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #262630

oranges wrote:They're not realistically laws to the same degree as silicons, it was literally just meant to be flavour text.

changing the format of the laws won't really help people who always push the boundaries
There is no indicator that you are not suppose to treat the laws like a silicon would as a drone until an admin bwoinks you. The format is entirely important, hence why we had an entirely separate page about the format of Alert Levels, and hence why we have had several drone policy threads nitpicking the laws when we could just not try to disguise OOC rules to an IC format known to cause problems anyways.
Arianya wrote:Right, hence you remove the laws entirely and replace it with an OOC addendum that the purpose of drones is to repair and improve the station, nothing more or less and that doing anything outside this, including interacting with any non-drone beings can/will get you in trouble.

Also don't do the subtle validhunting such as repairing lights during sling or taking a knack for cleaning grafitti during gang.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #264038

The strictness of drone laws makes me kind of sad to be honest. They seem to be a holdover from when there were no other methods of perma-dead people from coming back into the round.

Now there are several ghost roles that give you full ability to roleplay with other players and effect the round. So would it be so horrible to let drones be able to run silly gimmicks like a Drone-shop or Drone bartenders?

It should have some non-violence clause however, we dont want drones validhunting. not that they arent stupidly fragile in the first place.
D&B

Post by D&B » #264043

Then why not do it when you're alive?

What is stopping you from turning on assistant, grabbing a toolbox, and doing whatever you want to do?
Spoiler:
fuck you
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #264044

Dr_bee wrote:The strictness of drone laws makes me kind of sad to be honest. They seem to be a holdover from when there were no other methods of perma-dead people from coming back into the round.

Now there are several ghost roles that give you full ability to roleplay with other players and effect the round. So would it be so horrible to let drones be able to run silly gimmicks like a Drone-shop or Drone bartenders?

It should have some non-violence clause however, we dont want drones validhunting. not that they arent stupidly fragile in the first place.
The problem is, drones spawn directly on station, can vent crawl etc. Drones should not be able to be functionally treated as second lives.

>Scientist gets dunked in department by traitor
>Sci player goes to drone
>Drone takes over xeno in his place

This means the sci player's death was mostly pointless because they're already back doing exactly what they were doing before their death. Other ghost roles like lavaland characters and such aren't the same because they have little or no impact on the on-station drama. Xeno golems 1) require pre-done xeno work 2) are bound to their creator. Additionally, drones have the laws they have to prevent ghosts from grabbing one and dicking over an antag plot in progress.
Last edited by cedarbridge on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #264081

Drones are from *after* golems, which is what you're talking about, dr_bee. Way, way, after.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #264154

cedarbridge wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:The strictness of drone laws makes me kind of sad to be honest. They seem to be a holdover from when there were no other methods of perma-dead people from coming back into the round.

The problem is, drones spawn directly on station, can vent crawl etc. Drones should not be able to be functionally treated as second lives.

>Scientist gets dunked in department by traitor
>Sci player goes to drone
>Drone takes over xeno in his place

This means the sci player's death was mostly pointless because they're already back doing exactly what they were doing before their death. Other ghost roles like lavaland characters and such aren't the same because they have little or no impact on the on-station drama. Xeno golems 1) require pre-done xeno work 2) are bound to their creator. Additionally, drones have the laws they have to prevent ghosts from grabbing one and dicking over an antag plot in progress.
"Don't dick over antags" is completely fine, drones shouldn't be bothering the crew and certainly not the antag that dunked them, but "don't do xenobio because technically they're beings and technically it's a law breach, you can do R&D or toxins or robotics though" is just an asinine distinction. What's lost by letting drones do xenobio? Your precious "D-DRONES SHOULDN'T BE A SECOND LIFE!! WHAT IF THEY WERE A XENOBIOLOGIST!???" subtext? They can already do literally all of science outside of xenobio, why is xenobio so special?
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #264173

ShadowDimentio wrote:Your precious "D-DRONES SHOULDN'T BE A SECOND LIFE!! WHAT IF THEY WERE A XENOBIOLOGIST!???" subtext? They can already do literally all of science outside of xenobio, why is xenobio so special?
"your precious"

Its the entire point of the lawset. You're not meant to use drones to replace being human. If you think drones should be banned from all activities to include those other departments then I suppose we can do that too. I've never seen a drone doing toxins but I'd have strong questions with it about which part of constructing bombs was in furtherance of its "repair and improve the station" directive. Drones are designed as non-participant repair and construction bots. They aren't second lives, they aren't additional crew to staff missing stations with ghosts. They're repair and reconstruction drones meant to improve and repair the station. That's what their laws say and they are for. There's no reason for the drone to do anything like xenobio because it doesn't repair or improve the station. Adding in a niche allowance because you want to be the xenodrone doesn't further their purpose as a ghost role.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #264177

Sure it improves the station, slimes have all sorts of stuff useful to the station such as bluespace tiles and self-recharging batteries.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #264309

I honestly hate drones, hate the minutia distinctions between the lawset, still not exactly sure what function they have due to the second bit, and would quite frankly like to see them removed from the station outside of things that would have them unbound by their flavortext/laws [like wizardry or badminnery].

I never really understood the point of ghost roles anyways since I was under the impression that was what the 2 servers were for.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #264312

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:I honestly hate drones, hate the minutia distinctions between the lawset, still not exactly sure what function they have due to the second bit, and would quite frankly like to see them removed from the station outside of things that would have them unbound by their flavortext/laws [like wizardry or badminnery].

I never really understood the point of ghost roles anyways since I was under the impression that was what the 2 servers were for.
Nobody wants to bounce between servers just for the one they were already on to end round and leave them out of a roundstart.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #264323

cedarbridge wrote:
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:I honestly hate drones, hate the minutia distinctions between the lawset, still not exactly sure what function they have due to the second bit, and would quite frankly like to see them removed from the station outside of things that would have them unbound by their flavortext/laws [like wizardry or badminnery].

Nobody wants to bounce between servers just for the one they were already on to end round and leave them out of a roundstart.
But round end is announced in-gamse now for the other server.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #264330

I'm not gonna lie. I love drones to death but I really hate having to deal with so many complaints about players that can't follow drone law instructions to not interact with non-drones. I'm not even talking subtle stuff. I've had at least 3 cases in the last week of drones dragging bodies and one even stuffed a guy in cryo. The last one is a fairly special individual and certainly not typical, but this is becoming a really annoying issue. We already age-range borgs/AI. Why are drones not age-ranged too?
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #264364

cedarbridge wrote:I'm not gonna lie. I love drones to death but I really hate having to deal with so many complaints about players that can't follow drone law instructions to not interact with non-drones. I'm not even talking subtle stuff. I've had at least 3 cases in the last week of drones dragging bodies and one even stuffed a guy in cryo. The last one is a fairly special individual and certainly not typical, but this is becoming a really annoying issue. We already age-range borgs/AI. Why are drones not age-ranged too?
They are.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #264393

It's not like you'd notice good drones being good drones anyways because a good drone is one you never even notice.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #264405

ShadowDimentio wrote:It's not like you'd notice good drones being good drones anyways because a good drone is one you never even notice.
Good drones you only notice when you see a new set of solars with a lounge suite overlooking space in a random part of the station.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #264423

Haevacht wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:It's not like you'd notice good drones being good drones anyways because a good drone is one you never even notice.
Good drones you only notice when you see a new set of solars with a lounge suite overlooking space in a random part of the station.
Professional drones build atmos pipe vents to seemingly nowhere just to have only drone access to their autism fort nests
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #264484

cedarbridge wrote:

There's a ghost verb that does this easily and round ends are announced via the news system. If you miss it then that means you're probably enjoying yourself on the other, so you haven't really lost.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #264500

that's the weirdest thing I ever heard
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #264581

Maybe it's time to drop the IC laws and just have a set of OOC explanations regarding what you can or can't do.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.