Appeals which have been closed.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

[excessiveuseofcobby] Ispiria - Note Appeal

Post by Ispiria » #322352

Byond account and character name: Ispiria / Eve Hybrid

Noting admin: excessiveuseofcobby

Note reason: 2017-07-10 04:51:50 | Sybil | excessiveuseofcobby
Ticket #2: Ispiria/(Eve Hybrid) (?) (PP) (VV) (SM) (FLW) (TP) (LOGS) (SMITE) (REJT) (IC) (CLOSE) (RSLVE): Hello, a friend of mine from another game, currently playing under the name Monte(?|F) Dennis, is playing for the first time this round. I'm Observing so I can ghost-follow him and give him basic instructions on controls and things like "That's an airlock to space,(?|F) don't go out there". I've disabled ghost(?|F) radio and everything except nearby communication, and will not be using our discord chat for anything except teaching him the fundamentals of the game. I just wanted to make sure the admins were aware of this, thanks!

Ban reason and length: n/a

Time note was placed (including time zone): See note

Server you were playing when noted (Sybil or Bagil): Sybil

Your side of the story: I'm not sure if this is really anything I should even really be appealing because it doesn't seem like a very big deal, but I was surprised when this suddenly popped up in my public notes, a significant time after the ahelp in question was made. I've made a few similar ahelps like this in the past when I've had a new friend joining the game and wanted to help them, but wanted the admins to know that I was aware of rules regarding metacomms and stuff, and that I wouldn't be abusing or anything like that, and I've never seen a note added for any of these instances before.

In this particular instance cobby was not only super supportive, telling me, quote, "okay have fun", but also went out of their way to actually put my ghost into the character of my friend so I would only directly observe the things he'd see/hear rather than having ghostlike omni-awareness of his surroundings. Because of this, I sort of suspect this note was meant to be a private one just for admins to keep tabs on possible meta-friendships, which I totally understand the need for, but is also the reason for my confusion as to this appearing in my public notes.

During the round where I sent this ahelp, I did exactly as described in the ahelp proper, using discord solely to provide my friend basic instructions on controls, how to equip clothes, where to go when the shuttle arrived, and encouraging him regularly to engage in-game chat to ask for guidance so he'd be less reliant on me for instruction. However, I don't think the game really took with him, and he hasn't been back since that round as far as I know - such is life, I guess, and to each their own. Anyway, if there's a real need for this note to stick I guess I'll understand, but I'd just like a little further clarification why it's necessary if so?

Additionally, if it's absolutely needed I could even provide the discord chatlogs to show exactly what I said to him, and how I strove constantly to avoid providing anything I might have intuited about the round via radio chatter - I focused almost exclusively on him and the situations he encountered and tried to avoid drawing his attention away from the basics of learning the game. Since it's been a while since the round in question happened though I'd have to crawl through a fair bit of discord logs to find the relevant ones, but again, I will if it's deemed necessary.

Why you think you should be unbanned: See above, I guess?
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Re: [excessiveuseofcobby] Ispiria - Note Appeal

Post by Shadowlight213 » #322366

Making a note public/private is a popup dialog box that appears after placing it. All a public note does is allow the player to see it when viewing their own notes.

Also, a few admins seem to prefer making all their notes placed public, so it might be that or an accident. Doesn't really matter for that kind of note.

Basically, I don't see how any real action is needed here.
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #322368

This is an example of a note placed for situational awareness. In this note I see a player who went out of their way to notify us of something clearly and thoroughly before engaging in what might be construed as a rule violation. This is a good thing.

The only time this note could be bad for you is if you actually do engage in metacomms later, which I don't believe you will.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #322370

Okay, I understand. I read the server rules very carefully after the first time I screwed up big and have endeavored ever since to abide by and follow them, I love this game and /tg/ is where I'm comfortable now, I've got friends and even a little bit of reputation - it just scared me when a new note popped up, is all. As long as it's not a bad thing, that's all cool then!

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond, this can be closed now!
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #322371

feem wrote:This is a good thing.
Good notes for good behavior are a myth.
They are only applied for circlejerking between the admins and their metafriends.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #322387

Glad my fellow conspirators could help you out.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current