[thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Appeals which have been closed.

Moderators: In-Game Game Master, In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, TGMC Game Server Operators, Game Server Operators

sonictom6
 
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:35 pm
Byond Username: Sonictom6

[thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby sonictom6 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:47 pm #322380

Byond account and character name: Sonictom6, Character name not important as it was an OOC ban
Banning admin: thunder12345
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Rule 0
Ban reason and length: Rule 0 - Admitted to ban evasion on other servers, just because he thought those servers were shit. We do not want people who think this is reasonable behaviour
Time ban was placed (including time zone): Around 18:25 BST
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil
Your side of the story:People were speaking about how crap bans on byond were, and how easy they were to evade. I, in an attempt to bait, Claimed I had evaded a ban on yogstation. Whilst it wasn't true, a few people reacted but I didn't continue the bait, mainly because I didn't want to get punished for being a dick. Then, the subject changes and without messaging me, thunder immediately permabans me for admitting ban evasion. I could have explained to him I didn't actually do it, But he banned me instantly.
Why you think you should be unbanned: Because I never actually did it, I was just saying it in OOC to see what people said. I do think yog is shit, but that's completely besides the point. If I had actually ban evaded, I wouldn't be as stupid as to say it in OOC, Because I know full well an admin would ban me for it. Also, I don't see how I could have evaded the ban, as A: I have the same byond account and B: I have the same IP. Was it stupid to bait something like this in OOC? Probably, yeah. But I seriously don't think it's worth a permanent ban.



User avatar
danno
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: e-mail me if you want a pizza roll
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby danno » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:51 pm #322382

I warned you!
Hornygranny wrote:wtf i like danno now

Image
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit

sonictom6
 
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:35 pm
Byond Username: Sonictom6

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby sonictom6 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:55 pm #322384

You joked about it, saying "You shouldn't reveal something like that" in OOC - You didnt send me an admin message or anything of the sort

User avatar
danno
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: e-mail me if you want a pizza roll
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby danno » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:56 pm #322386

I wasn't joking lol, I was just deadmin'd and thought it would do well to make it a public announcement rather than a private one
Hornygranny wrote:wtf i like danno now

Image
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby oranges » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:16 pm #322466

I ban evaded on CM and goon

I'll expect my perma in the post please

User avatar
danno
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: e-mail me if you want a pizza roll
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby danno » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 pm #322470

well ok
Hornygranny wrote:wtf i like danno now

Image
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit

PostThis post was deleted by PKPenguin321 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:49 pm.
Reason: Funny but irrelevant

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby oranges » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:46 am #322604

is it irrelevant PK penguin? where does the line on this ruling end?

If we're banning people for ban evading on other servers, shouldn't we be banning them for evading on other games?

User avatar
danno
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: e-mail me if you want a pizza roll
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby danno » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:11 am #322632

Bragging about ban evading on other servers is a no-no for what I assume are obvious reasons but if you want to be a stinky doo doo head devil's advocate,
it gives us a pretty bad image and i mean good god, we're already suffering enough there
inter-server respect has always been a thing that the administration is supposed to uphold to some degree
mirroring bans from other servers is already a thing, is it so much to ask for people who get banned from other servers to NOT be retarded little shitheads and act like they're big cool guys for evading and brag about it in ooc?

we deserve a better class of criminal, for fuck's sake
Hornygranny wrote:wtf i like danno now

Image
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit

User avatar
danno
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: e-mail me if you want a pizza roll
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby danno » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:13 am #322633

Heh. Yeah, I ban evaded on yog. Totally owned those admins, am I right gamers?

no, dumbass. be smarter about being stupid next time
Hornygranny wrote:wtf i like danno now

Image
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby oranges » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:13 am #322634

alright, that's pretty fair

User avatar
danno
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: e-mail me if you want a pizza roll
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby danno » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:15 am #322636

Basically it's kind of really hard to tell if OP actually was just telling a bad joke, or if they were being serious
so the question is, does the ban stick to make an example of this behaviour, or is he given the benefit of the doubt despite this looking like desperation
Hornygranny wrote:wtf i like danno now

Image
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit

User avatar
MrStonedOne
Host
 
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 pm
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby MrStonedOne » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:43 pm #322839

danno wrote:Bragging about ban evading on other servers is a no-no for what I assume are obvious reasons


I respect servers, but I don't respect their rules.

Somebody evading say, a rule 4 ban on goon is more than welcomed here, because we either don't, or shouldn't, give two shits if you evade a ban for saying cuck or dick.

I also don't remember this being a formal policy. but I could be wrong.

It just seems like another silly push forward in the slippery slope of policing ooc conduct.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder

MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

Jack7D1 wrote:After reviewing the history of our previous host(s) I conclude that MSO is our most favorable host to date. To remove him would be very unwise.
Jack7D1 wrote:I seem to be mistaken

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby Cobby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:50 pm #322842

I'll unban you tomorrow EST if thunder doesn't answer, If you are ban evading just don't talk about it I guess.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

User avatar
danno
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: e-mail me if you want a pizza roll
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby danno » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:58 pm #322845

MrStonedOne wrote:
danno wrote:Bragging about ban evading on other servers is a no-no for what I assume are obvious reasons


I respect servers, but I don't respect their rules.

Somebody evading say, a rule 4 ban on goon is more than welcomed here, because we either don't, or shouldn't, give two shits if you evade a ban for saying cuck or dick.

I also don't remember this being a formal policy. but I could be wrong.

It just seems like another silly push forward in the slippery slope of policing ooc conduct.


Coming here because you had a rule 4 ban on goon is fine, that's not really evasion, but are you really going to say that it's fine for them to talk shit and brag about evading on goon just because they or you don't agree with their rules?
You're saying it's fine to go on their and break their rules, their laws and just go "yeah well i'd rather play by my OWN laws"

if you are, then it should be fine to ban evade on /tg/station too.

Joining these servers and playing them is a privilege, not some sort of human right. Respecting the rules of each server should be the bare minimum you expect from people.
Hornygranny wrote:wtf i like danno now

Image
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit

User avatar
danno
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: e-mail me if you want a pizza roll
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby danno » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:00 pm #322847

Coming to the server because you're banned from another one isn't a problem, just to clarify
Hornygranny wrote:wtf i like danno now

Image
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit

User avatar
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:55 pm
Location: Scotland, UK
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby Thunder11 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:18 pm #322849

Shadowlight was the one who suggested perma'ing him. Seriously though, if you brag about evading on other servers, don't be surprised if people think you aren't worth keeping around.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!

That's thinking on your feet, soldier!

Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all

oranges wrote:

Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.

Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578

User avatar
MrStonedOne
Host
 
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 pm
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby MrStonedOne » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:12 pm #322898

Thunder11 wrote:Shadowlight was the one who suggested perma'ing him. Seriously though, if you brag about evading on other servers, don't be surprised if people think you aren't worth keeping around.


Or maybe building character, personality, and psychological profiles of users based on ooc jokes then using that to determine their worth isn't exactly a sane idea.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder

MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

Jack7D1 wrote:After reviewing the history of our previous host(s) I conclude that MSO is our most favorable host to date. To remove him would be very unwise.
Jack7D1 wrote:I seem to be mistaken

User avatar
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:55 pm
Location: Scotland, UK
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby Thunder11 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:26 pm #322902

Saying "this person is admitting to evading on another server, do we really want someone who thinks it' reasonable to do that and then brag about it" is not "building character, personality and psychological profiles". Note that he is, in fact, permabanned on Yog, so it should be fairly obvious why it doesn't look very joke like.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!

That's thinking on your feet, soldier!

Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all

oranges wrote:

Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.

Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578

User avatar
MrStonedOne
Host
 
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 pm
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby MrStonedOne » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:03 am #322912

>do we really want someone who thinks it' reasonable to do that and then brag about it

I think the moment you start asking this question about non-disruptive ooc conduct, you've already lost.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder

MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

Jack7D1 wrote:After reviewing the history of our previous host(s) I conclude that MSO is our most favorable host to date. To remove him would be very unwise.
Jack7D1 wrote:I seem to be mistaken

User avatar
danno
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: e-mail me if you want a pizza roll
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby danno » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:35 am #322919

it stands to reason that a player who doesn't care for the rules of another server and evades bans on that server to cause trouble is a player who would do the same on this server

if you think that it's fine to evade /tg/station bans and brag about it, then that's that
but you can't have it two ways, either we respect the rules of all servers individually or nothing
Hornygranny wrote:wtf i like danno now

Image
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit

User avatar
MrStonedOne
Host
 
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 pm
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby MrStonedOne » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:47 am #322968

danno wrote:it stands to reason that a player who doesn't care for the rules of another server and evades bans on that server to cause trouble is a player who would do the same on this server


No it doesn't. A players respect for the rules is a reflection of their respect for the server and its administration, and there are a lot of servers where it's hard to feel respect for the server and/or its administration, that's on them, and isn't anything we have to give a fuck about.

danno wrote:if you think that it's fine to evade /tg/station bans and brag about it, then that's that
but you can't have it two ways, either we respect the rules of all servers individually or nothing


This is basically a strawman.

The point I'm trying to get across is that your entire justification for this rule 0 ban is an assumption about the players attitudes towards us, and the/all/our rules, based on a potential joke said over ooc chat about some other server.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder

MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

Jack7D1 wrote:After reviewing the history of our previous host(s) I conclude that MSO is our most favorable host to date. To remove him would be very unwise.
Jack7D1 wrote:I seem to be mistaken

Shadowlight213
 
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:34 pm
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby Shadowlight213 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:06 pm #322991

Since thunder pinged me saying "It's your turn",
This is what I saw. Hot IRC leaks here.
We were talking about stickyban screwing up, then

[19:26] <%Thunder11> OOC: Sonictom6: I've evaded bans on other servers (i.e. yog because yog admins are a meme) by using VM ware
[19:26] <%Thunder11> HMM
[19:26] <@Shadowmobile> Ban
[19:27] <%Thunder11> Just go with the full perma and shit?
[19:29] <@Shadowmobile> Yes
[19:30] <%Thunder11> Gone

I assumed that your hmm meant the account itself was suspicious, so you thought they might be evading a ban.
I was given no context of the conversation leading up to this. No reasoning to assume it had anything to do with a joke.
I simply gave a recommendation based on that line. I never said rule 0 or anything about people thinking it's reasonable behavior.
I thought you would apply your own judgement based on the clearer picture you had.

User avatar
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:55 pm
Location: Scotland, UK
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby Thunder11 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:27 pm #323000

Since you never asked about any other context, I was assuming that reply was based just off of what he said. Lifted, and let's all take this as a lesson in asking for context first, and not baiting people.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!

That's thinking on your feet, soldier!

Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all

oranges wrote:

Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.

Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578

User avatar
danno
 
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: e-mail me if you want a pizza roll
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby danno » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:36 pm #323019

MrStonedOne wrote:
danno wrote:it stands to reason that a player who doesn't care for the rules of another server and evades bans on that server to cause trouble is a player who would do the same on this server


No it doesn't. A players respect for the rules is a reflection of their respect for the server and its administration, and there are a lot of servers where it's hard to feel respect for the server and/or its administration, that's on them, and isn't anything we have to give a fuck about.

danno wrote:if you think that it's fine to evade /tg/station bans and brag about it, then that's that
but you can't have it two ways, either we respect the rules of all servers individually or nothing


This is basically a strawman.

The point I'm trying to get across is that your entire justification for this rule 0 ban is an assumption about the players attitudes towards us, and the/all/our rules, based on a potential joke said over ooc chat about some other server.


I don't think the rule 0 ban should stick but I believe it needs to be understood why it happened, and why it had to happen
There is no value in this sort of thing happening. Honestly if it was a joke sonictom needs to work on his delivery, unless it was his intention to make it seem like a genuine and unironic statement.
And that kind of statement has to be taken seriously, doesn't it?
Hornygranny wrote:wtf i like danno now

Image
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: [thunder12345] sonictom6 - Thought I ban evaded

Postby Cobby » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:26 am #323198

Since this was lifted I'll consider this resolved and the "can/should people banned here for doing X on other servers" should be taken to policy discussion.

Good communication all around is very important to avoid situations like these!
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current


Return to Resolved Appeals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users