woross

[Togopal] Woross - sad permaban

Post by woross » #357469

Byond account and character name: woross, character being Caveman

Banning admin:
Togopal

Ban type (What are you banned from?): Server

Ban reason and length:

"Rule 1 - Has a history of acting shitty, named himself Caveman when told not to use this name and picks fights, killing in poor escalation."

P E R M A N E N T

Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2017-10-20 15:15:10 GMT+1

Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Not sure, I think Sybil

Your side of the story: The only truth in the ban reason is the statement that I named myself Caveman. I picked it because the only admin against it was Topogal and nothing in the rules is against that so I tried to play it when he wasn't online. He appeared out of nowhere! Saying that I picked fights is nonsense, in this particular situation that caused my ban it's very clear: someone was attacking the captain so I tried to defend him, the attacker ended up dying. All those cases of this character's violence were either direct self defense or defending someone.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I doubt most admins would ban me for what happened during this situation, I doubt that playing a naked guy with a spear and defending myself from attacks is that awful.

EDIT: Also remove the appearance ban against Caveman please
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: [Togopal] Woross - sad permaban

Post by kevinz000 » #357477

Mfw an admin tells you to not do something and you do it when they're offline instead.
And people wonder why I always hide my login.
woross

Post by woross » #357481

Well I know it sounds bad but it's not like he provided a proper reason for it. And playing a caveman doesn't really hurt anyone or violate the rules of the server
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #357485

woross wrote:Well I know it sounds bad but it's not like he provided a proper reason for it. And playing a caveman doesn't really hurt anyone or violate the rules of the server
tgstation rules page wrote: Rule 3 Precedents.
Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3. Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future. Admins may get involved if your name is dumb.
Although it's probably because you kept doing it after being told specifically to stop.
woross

Post by woross » #357486

I just want to play Caveman man
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #357487

Usually when you are told to not do something by an administrator then proceed to do it again despite them telling you not to, it is often considered "digging your own grave." If you decide to do that something and admit you were attempting to do it merely when the administrator was offline, it will often be taken as bad behavior and ignoring rules.
Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3. Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future. Admins may get involved if your name is dumb.
In regards to your name, we tend to try to encourage a "firstname lastname" basis for human characters (although rules for naming may be more lenient depending on roles such as clowns and mimes, or races like lizards or flypeople) although this may not be clearly stated on the wikipedia rule page like it should be. As a result, administrators will often private message players and ask them to change their name if it does not fall under what is mostly constituted as a "proper" name.

Hopefully the above will give you an understanding of the situation regarding your name. As for the alleged killing of other players, I was not present for the situation and do not have any mind to construct the story through loggings. If you wish to use them however, you may use the public parsed logs to aid in presenting your account of the situation.

From a short glance, you have a total of 44 bans and 74 notes from your initial join on 2013-09-21. Some of your most recent notes stemming from 2016 up until your ban are as follows:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
At the end of the day, we will have to wait for Togopol to be online to resolve your appeal.
Last edited by Okand37 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
woross

Post by woross » #357494

Okand37 wrote: From a short glance, you have a total of 44 bans and 74 notes from your initial join on 2013-09-21.
That's not that bad considering it's a period of over 4 years.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #357495

20 notes a year isn't exactly good.
Also you have only 2360 connections
You now have as many notes and bans as someone with 50% more connections than you.
woross

Post by woross » #357499

kevinz000 wrote:20 notes a year isn't exactly good.
Also you have only 2360 connections
You now have as many notes and bans as someone with 50% more connections than you.
You must admit, however, that a big portion of them are meme-tier misdemeanors, not something game-ruining or mood-killing

Fig. 1

Warned - in IC chat.

Fig. 2

Yelled ops on an actual nuke ops round despite not actually knowing it was ops. Caused the entire crew to get armed up and waiting for said ops. This should be his last warning before a long banning

Fig. 3

Banned for 10 minutes - Fucked up his banebost, ruined the movie.

Fig. 4

Banned for 5 minutes - Why are you trying to start race war bullshit ?
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #357501

I noted you for ooc in ic I fail to see a problem ex-gamer.
woross

Post by woross » #357512

kevinz000 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:People yell "AI ROGUE" and "VIVA" all the time
When was jokingly crying wolf ever actually a problem?

Besides, it's not my fault that the wolf actually came :^(

EDIT: Why did you delete that lzimann that was literally Top 10 Anime Battles
Last edited by woross on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A3STH3T1CS
Byond Username: Mack3r3l

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #357514

I've got warned for unimmersive nicknames before, once.
Even if your 74 notes are just 50% memes, that's over 30 notes of shit people had to put on your permanent record.

Fuck that, you'll get unbanned, get bored the next 5 minutes you sign in and play next month like you haven't learned a fucking thing.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #357517

why was my comment about the baneposting "ruining" note deleted

that shit does not deserve to be held against someone in a fucking permaban, what the fuck

it was a meme note
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #357518

I don't want to get into a long argument over the note history here but I think it's counterproductive to ban people for silly and harmless gimmicks like pretending to be a caveman after we wring our hands so much about how people only valid hunt.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #357572

Kor wrote:I don't want to get into a long argument over the note history here but I think it's counterproductive to ban people for silly and harmless gimmicks like pretending to be a caveman after we wring our hands so much about how people only valid hunt.
I mean we haven't heard togopal yet but I'd think picking fights != harmless prank
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #357586

Next time be a lizard with the name "Hits-With-Clubs" which breaks the same amount of immersion but is allowed by the high quality role-playing standards we have here
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #357588

Personally I look at this less as 'someone with a shitty gimmick got banned' but more as 'someone kept doing something they were specifically told not to do by an admin got banned'. The former it can be arguable on whether it should be banned, the latter I don't see why we should be surprised about the ban.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #357591

ExcessiveJMadison wrote:
Kor wrote:I don't want to get into a long argument over the note history here but I think it's counterproductive to ban people for silly and harmless gimmicks like pretending to be a caveman after we wring our hands so much about how people only valid hunt.
I mean we haven't heard togopal yet but I'd think picking fights != harmless prank
I meant the caveman name/attire/spear which seems to have been declared an issue on its own
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #357672

i'm not sure why you couldn't just make your name something caveman sounding that isn't literally "caveman"

a caveman wouldn't call himself "caveman"

just make it "unga bongh" or something similar idk
Limey wrote:its too late.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #357700

Qbopper wrote:i'm not sure why you couldn't just make your name something caveman sounding that isn't literally "caveman"

a caveman wouldn't call himself "caveman"

just make it "unga bongh" or something similar idk
How do you exactly know what a caveman would call himself?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #357709

Regardless, our naming policy is pretty simple to follow.

possible names that do not break our very simple name guidelines:

Uunga Buunga
Ugh Ugh
Cave M. Anne
Cav Eman
Cave Man

Name he chose:
Caveman

I mean naming policy is always a fuss but as of now that policy is F L and quite frankly so easy to follow/bypass LEGALLY that setting it back to caveman is just doing it to intentionally break rules.

That's not even considering the fight part which we've yet to really discuss
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
A3STH3T1CS

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #357758

if you really want to get into it, goofy unique names just like Unga Bunga to rival "caveman" are something I consider good subtle community gimmicks if anyone picks up on them
woross

Post by woross » #357968

ExcessiveJMadison wrote: possible names that do not break our very simple name guidelines:

Uunga Buunga
Ugh Ugh
Cave M. Anne
Cav Eman
Cave Man

Name he chose:
Caveman
De jure different, but de facto the same thing! I wouldn't think a spessmen simulator would be this formal.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #357981

woross wrote:
ExcessiveJMadison wrote: possible names that do not break our very simple name guidelines:

Uunga Buunga
Ugh Ugh
Cave M. Anne
Cav Eman
Cave Man

Name he chose:
Caveman
De jure different, but de facto the same thing! I wouldn't think a spessmen simulator would be this formal.
might be my memory but didn't you say in ooc you're going back to hippie because you didn't like the place here?
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #357985

i don't care about your meme character

i care less about your name than i would have in the past but just fucking do 'Cave Mann' or something, don't be an idiot

i don't care if you go around punching people occasionally so long as you take your licks for it

if all you do is go around punching people and trying to get them to fight you so you can dunk them then i care and you seem to have done this on more than a few occasions

literally don't care about how many notes you have and you're right that a lot of them are dumb, but a lot of what you've done is also bad shit

you have a history of abusing whatever in-game power you happen to have at the time, whether that be your plausible deniability of being just a simple caveman, your honor, or of being a head of security

in this case the final straw was kinda silly but you honestly can't believe that after multiple warnings for your behavior over your time here that you wouldn't nab a ban for directly going against what an admin explicitly told you not to do in like the same day

can you?
woross

Post by woross » #358005

kevinz000 wrote:
woross wrote:

Uunga Buunga
Ugh Ugh
Cave M. Anne
Cav Eman
Cave Man

Name he chose:
Caveman
might be my memory but didn't you say in ooc you're going back to hippie because you didn't like the place here?
Well when I get banned on hippie, I say I don't like it there and that /tg/ is better
When I get banned on /tg/ I say the same but vice versa, not that hard to believe and (I think) not that bad
woross

Post by woross » #358006

feem wrote:i don't care about your meme character

i care less about your name than i would have in the past but just fucking do 'Cave Mann' or something, don't be an idiot

i don't care if you go around punching people occasionally so long as you take your licks for it

if all you do is go around punching people and trying to get them to fight you so you can dunk them then i care and you seem to have done this on more than a few occasions

literally don't care about how many notes you have and you're right that a lot of them are dumb, but a lot of what you've done is also bad shit

you have a history of abusing whatever in-game power you happen to have at the time, whether that be your plausible deniability of being just a simple caveman, your honor, or of being a head of security

in this case the final straw was kinda silly but you honestly can't believe that after multiple warnings for your behavior over your time here that you wouldn't nab a ban for directly going against what an admin explicitly told you not to do in like the same day

can you?
Man I really really don't intentionally go picking conflicts, I just like to end conflicts that are escalated against me or someone else
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #358087

woross wrote:
feem wrote:i don't care about your meme character

can you?
Man I really really don't intentionally go picking conflicts, I just like to end conflicts that are escalated against me or someone else
this is the part you were supposed to reply to

can you?
woross

Post by woross » #358208

this is the part you were supposed to reply to

can you?
Certainly didn't think I'd nab a permanent ban for playing my favourite character nobody had any problem with prior to Togopal
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #358234

As a word of advice, trying to deflect the situation as somehow being the admin's fault for taking issue reflects poorly on you, considering its an admin who will decide your appeal.
A3STH3T1CS

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #358235

AR has a valid point. Whose man is this anyways, he's not even the one banned?
feem

Post by feem » #358255

You weren't banned for playing a gimmick, you were banned for repeatedly ignoring admin instruction to stop engaging in a gimmick _which you commonly use to push the boundaries of grief_.

The correct course of action here would have been to raise an admin complaint or appeal one of your earlier notes about this, or the earlier ban.

You would NOT have gotten a permaban for this if you didn't also have a history of summary executions, improper escalations, and wandering around picking fights.

I do understand your feelings here, since again, the final straw was a succession of events which stemmed from you playing a gimmick. But you need to understand that the actual problem which led to the ban isn't the gimmick, it's your intentional disregard for admin guidance and your history of behavior.

Even if the appearance ban were to be lifted, you are still banned on account of those items.
woross

Post by woross » #358283

feem wrote:You weren't banned for playing a gimmick, you were banned for repeatedly ignoring admin instruction to stop engaging in a gimmick _which you commonly use to push the boundaries of grief_.

The correct course of action here would have been to raise an admin complaint or appeal one of your earlier notes about this, or the earlier ban.

You would NOT have gotten a permaban for this if you didn't also have a history of summary executions, improper escalations, and wandering around picking fights.

I do understand your feelings here, since again, the final straw was a succession of events which stemmed from you playing a gimmick. But you need to understand that the actual problem which led to the ban isn't the gimmick, it's your intentional disregard for admin guidance and your history of behavior.

Even if the appearance ban were to be lifted, you are still banned on account of those items.
Dunno man, the occasional wrongdoing over the course of four years can't be considered a history that awful. I never really did any of the major horrible things people tend to get permabans for, just the occasional autism here and there. I don't really get why people keep saying that I go wandering around picking fights, that's just not true. Of course, I do sometimes disarm a security guy for his baton just to space it seconds later and things like that, but I never initiate fights with the intent of slowly escalating it far enough that I can kill the guy. And for addressing the final straw thing where I ignored the admin, okay, of course I did, I admit that. I just really like to play the caveman, man, and I'm sorry.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #358286

woross wrote:And for addressing the final straw thing where I ignored the admin, okay, of course I did, I admit that.
And that's why you copped this ban. Your impression is that as long as the admin that told you not to do something isn't around to see you do it then you can do whatever. That's not an angle that's going to get you any sympathy around here.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #358296

This guy was a massive pain in the ass from start to finish when I witnessed him. Aside from naming himself "Caveman", being naked and holding a spear, which are really only minor problems, he insisted on only speaking like a Caveman ("ooga booga") and still insisted on involving himself in fights he had no place in even though he didnt want to communicate properly because haha funny caveman meme. In ahelps he was extremely unpleasant to deal with, bringing out all the cards that people typically pull ("fun hating admin" "so i can do X if someone Ys?") and evaded me just so he could be Caveman again. From his posts it looks like hes learned nothing.

Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #358297

He also tried breaking into the HoP office to kill the HoP during my conversation with him about not fighting the HoP so that was why I banned him in the end

woross

Post by woross » #358312

Togopal wrote:He also tried breaking into the HoP office to kill the HoP during my conversation with him about not fighting the HoP so that was why I banned him in the end
The HoP endangered the integrity of the station by attacking the captain himself. The violation of the chain of command and mutiny is pretty clear in this case.
woross

Post by woross » #358313

Togopal wrote:This guy was a massive pain in the ass from start to finish when I witnessed him. Aside from naming himself "Caveman", being naked and holding a spear, which are really only minor problems, he insisted on only speaking like a Caveman ("ooga booga") and still insisted on involving himself in fights he had no place in even though he didnt want to communicate properly because haha funny caveman meme. In ahelps he was extremely unpleasant to deal with, bringing out all the cards that people typically pull ("fun hating admin" "so i can do X if someone Ys?") and evaded me just so he could be Caveman again. From his posts it looks like hes learned nothing.
Sorry I made you feel this way. I however find nothing wrong with playing a caveman in space. Certainly beats the usual powergaming and other fun you guys must deal with daily. And yes, wearing only a poncho and a spear and speaking in "ooga booga" is funny as hell. I wouldn't do it again if I knew it would get me permabanned, but I can tell you haven't yet experienced the joy of playing a really autistic gimmick.
feem

Post by feem » #358317

just play as cave mann and follow admin instructions and don't repeatedly get into situations that involve you getting bwoinked for escalating shit (which, by extension, means don't repeatedly and unnecessarily escalate shit) and don't be a shit in ahelps

this is all we ask of any player really
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #358326

woross wrote:
Togopal wrote:He also tried breaking into the HoP office to kill the HoP during my conversation with him about not fighting the HoP so that was why I banned him in the end
The HoP endangered the integrity of the station by attacking the captain himself. The violation of the chain of command and mutiny is pretty clear in this case.
Don't try to say "I'm a caveman IC!" and "chain of command is critical" in the same breath please
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #358335

Qbopper wrote:
woross wrote:
Don't try to say "I'm a caveman IC!" and "chain of command is critical" in the same breath please
This is really telling, he's doing the caveman schtick purely to have an excuse to be shit and start fights fnr then uses deeply respecting the command structure as an ic reasoning when it will let him start fights and be a shit

No matter what he does he's just trying to be a shit to people which i'm pretty sure violates rule 1
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #358338

Woross wrote:
Sorry I made you feel this way. I however find nothing wrong with playing a caveman in space. Certainly beats the usual powergaming and other fun you guys must deal with daily. And yes, wearing only a poncho and a spear and speaking in "ooga booga" is funny as hell. I wouldn't do it again if I knew it would get me permabanned, but I can tell you haven't yet experienced the joy of playing a really autistic gimmick.
You still seem to think that the name itself and ignoring me when I asked you to change it was the only reason you got permabanned. Both times I warned you about it, you were overescalating a situation to the point where I had to step in and tell you to knock it off, and from there, you still ignored me both times.

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #358357

Maybe he just shouldn't play here if he can't understand what it means when he gets told to stop and keeps arguing a different point and not getting it at all to the point of trying to evade a specific admin.
If he read the rules he would see rule 6.
woross

Post by woross » #358393

Qbopper wrote:
woross wrote:
Why not? Just because I'm a caveman means I can't contribute to the round?
woross

Post by woross » #358395

Togopal wrote:
Woross wrote:
You still seem to think that the name itself and ignoring me when I asked you to change it was the only reason you got permabanned. Both times I warned you about it, you were overescalating a situation to the point where I had to step in and tell you to knock it off, and from there, you still ignored me both times.
Well sorry man. I don't think I was escalating anything beyond what was necessary. I just liked playing caveman a lot, that's all what my intentions were.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #358439

I think the outcome of this must be quite clear now. At this point the only reason to keep this thread open is salt mining from what I can see.

You were banned for repeatedly ignoring an admins instructions and for having a history of bad escalation and killing. You can't seem to accept this and seem to insist it must be about you being a Caveman. No, this is not about how bad your IC character is. It's about how bad of a player you are.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #358470

The first time I told them to not name themselves "Caveman"

Cobby