[blessedheretic] Anewbe - Banned too quickly

Appeals which have been closed.
Anewbe

[blessedheretic] Anewbe - Banned too quickly

Post by Anewbe » #39601

Byond account and character name: Anewbe - Ash-On-His-Face
Banning admin: blessedheretic
Ban reason and length: From the log: "You have been banned by blessedheretic. Murdered a detained person as a security guard for no reason. "I didn't have orders" is not a justified reason to beat someone with a baton to death." 1440 minutes
Time ban was placed (including time zone): ~3:00 US Central Time, October 30th, 2014

Your side of the story: From the Wiki- Guide to Security: "Revolution is a special case for execution authorization, considering everyone is swarming you at once, so use your best judgement. Do remember that implants exist for a reason.:" Reason for my actions: Going along the lines of the above note, the assistant I beat was constantly getting into fights and had run through security as an escape attempt at least twice before. In what seemed to be a cultist-revolutionary round I didn't think there was time to chase him down and didn't know what he was going to do in Security. It wasn't meant to be an execution, I misjudged his health level and meant to beat him unconscious, but not to death. I'm pretty sure he was still alive but in critical when I pulled him to Medical.

Why you think you should be unbanned: Admin banned me without giving me time to properly explain my view on the situation. In the shitstorm that was that round, I thought it more prudent to move my prisoner to medical, honestly because I expected to have to talk to the admin, and remove the clown from robotics, because I had access and was nearby. The admin (blessedheretic) banned me in the middle of trying to type out my response. I'm not mad, but if job-bans are a thing I'd much more readily accept that than a full ban. Generally I don't think I've been much of a problem, and I try to stick within the bounds of my role, and my IC motivations. I still think I was acting the way a security officer would in that case, and that Sec Officers get judged to a much higher standard than the other roles, but a security ban wouldn't bother me the same way a full ban does. I know it's a relatively short ban, but I still feel wronged.
MrGlasses

Re: [blessedheretic] Anewbe - Banned too quickly

Post by MrGlasses » #39611

This would have really been better off as a sec ban, if a ban at all, judging from your side of the story. I'll pull up some logs in a bit here and look through 'em to see if you're side of the story matches up.
Anewbe

Post by Anewbe » #39613

Thank you sir, I'll take whatever's deemed appropriate, but the full ban felt unreasonable.
BlessedHeretic
Byond Username: BlessedHeretic

Post by BlessedHeretic » #39620

Beating someone into crit, inside the brig when they are already detained is beyond shit, you had no reason to do so, and no you beat him straight to death. The guy ahelped after he had already given up. You can't use revolutionary measures during cultist rounds, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference. During rev, you can literally beat someone upside the head to de-convert them, or simply implant them with a loyalty. Generally it's much smoother, but since their recruitment method is also several times faster than a cultists, they can be justified to be beaten down, NOT IN THE BRIG WHEN DETAINED, but in the field when it'd be far to risky to do anything else.

Cultists, unlike revs usually carry evidence of cult status, either by tomes, swords, whatever. While cultists can be argued that they are more dangerous, once you have them cuffed and in the brig without any sort of assault occuring, you can safely perma brig them until holy water comes. If the head of security gave you a go ahead to execute someone, or the captain this would not be the case.

In the case of the particular person you killed, they were not a cultist, had done nothing to warrant being beaten to death in custody, and simply put, you were a totally out of line. You literally put him down and tried to justify it with "I had no orders.".

Anyway, I have not applied a jobban nor server ban, I applied a day ban which is common and issued when someone in the round died to an unjustified murder by someone who really lacked a reason to go to such harmful intent.

I will not be lifting this ban, the duration is standard for the offense.
MrGlasses

Post by MrGlasses » #39635

This really, really, really does not warrant a day ban and we should NOT be going down this path. This does however, warrant a job ban from security. I'm turning this into a two week security ban. A note will be added to you Ckey, don't do this again or it WILL result in a server ban for more than a day. Go in peace, I will be watching.

Note: This was heavily discussed in adminbus, if another admin really, really feels this would be better as a dayban, change it.
BlessedHeretic
Byond Username: BlessedHeretic

Post by BlessedHeretic » #39636

MrGlasses wrote:This really, really, really does not warrant a day ban and we should NOT be going down this path. This does however, warrant a job ban from security. I'm turning this into a two week security ban. A note will be added to you Ckey, don't do this again or it WILL result in a server ban for more than a day. Go in peace, I will be watching.

Note: This was heavily discussed in adminbus, if another admin really, really feels this would be better as a dayban, change it.
I'm ok with this. I just used what I thought was proper at the time. Non antag murdering non antag outside of proper circumstances and all.