[Darkgenerallord] Buggy1234 - rescinding a requested permanent ban

Appeals which have been closed.
Buggy
Byond Username: Buggy1234

[Darkgenerallord] Buggy1234 - rescinding a requested permanent ban

Post by Buggy » #448137

Byond account and character name: Buggy1234

Banning admin: Darkgenerallord

Ban type (What are you banned from?): Playing on the server.

Ban reason and length:
Originally going to be a shorter server ban due to spawning five hundred monkeys in a hall, but he asked for a perma instead. It was really, really shitty behavior, but probably wasn't going to be a perma except for his asking. More or less completely locked down a major hall, in addition to severely lagging the server.

Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2018-03-12 02:14:35 EST, round ID 84826

Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil

Your side of the story:
I originally thought spawning monkeys in a major hall would be a bit of funny hijinks, since things like that have happened in the past and it's been funny then. When I discovered a (at the time) new technique for very quickly producing large quantities of monkey cubes, I decided to give it a shot. Unfortunately, I went substantially overboard and spawned so many that the server lagged, and though I missed this part they apparently caught on fire and caused much, much more lag even after they died.

I recognized that this was too far and, owing to my personal belief that only extremely harsh, finalistic sentences are just, I asked for a permanent ban instead of whatever length ban was originally going to be placed. You can see examples of this policy in all of my job bans, wherein I asked for a permanent job ban due to incompetence or failure on my part.

Why you think you should be unbanned:
Originally, I intended to leave the ban in place permanently. To do otherwise would be unfair to the players of TGStation. Unfortunately, it has come to my attention that the server is close to ridding itself of the furry Filth that has plagued it for years, but the Filth are numerous enough to sway votes nearly in their favor. Normally, I wouldn't think my contribution would be significant enough to warrant asking for a unban, but the last vote was only in favor of removing the Filth by one vote, and due to how close the polling was the admins have decided to run another poll.

Clearly, those who wish to purge the Filth truly need every single bit of help they can get. I would be doing a far greater disservice to TGStation if I remained banned than if I asked for my just punishment to be rescinded so that I can help with the purge.

I don't know if you will agree with my reasoning, but it was explicitly stated that the ban would be less than permanent if I hadn't requested it, and it almost certainly wouldn't have been for over half a year; if it was going to be that long, Darkgenerallord probably would've just issued a permanent ban. As such, I believe that you will find me asking for a unban reasonable even if you disagree with my reasoning for it.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: [Darkgenerallord] Buggy1234 - rescinding a requested permanent ban

Post by Arianya » #448172

Discussion of the vote goes in vote threads.

Regardless, if you're not interested in being unbanned since you wouldn't be able to vote, please let us know.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Buggy

Post by Buggy » #448188

I think I'll still risk being unbanned, especially since I still don't know what criteria the votes are filtered under or if its possible to get my vote counted in a acceptable manner. I think I can resist the temptation to play, either way.

Plus there might be more votes like this in the future, since, naturally, this schism in the community is permanent until one of the two sides is exiled.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #448194

The vote is filtered for atleast an hour of playtime in the month before the vote was announced, so in this case there's no chance you would pass the filter for the vote.

Generally any vote of importance has a similar filter (recent playtime) so if you wanted to be unbanned with a view to only connect when there's a vote going on you would just be wasting your time for most votes.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Buggy

Post by Buggy » #448198

Hmm, i suppose I could just observe every so often to make sure I fit the criteria.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #448199

Playtime, not observe time.
Buggy

Post by Buggy » #448204

DemonFiren wrote:Playtime, not observe time.
...Ok, I suppose if it helps get rid of the Filth, even actually playing would still be worth it.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #448213

Your vote will not count, no matter how much you play, because in the time period that the filter checks for playtime, you have nothing due to being banned.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #448219

The fact you keep calling it "The Filth" suggests this should just be denied. You have no interest in playing on this server and frankly you're being a dick under rule 1 and this should be denied.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #448384

Someone acting like they're a beacon of hope for the community they haven't contacted in over half a year really jogs the nog.

Do you still want to be unbanned even though you have 0 say votewise for the sole issue you wanted to be unbanned for?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Buggy

Post by Buggy » #448466

Cobby wrote:Someone acting like they're a beacon of hope for the community they haven't contacted in over half a year really jogs the nog.

Do you still want to be unbanned even though you have 0 say votewise for the sole issue you wanted to be unbanned for?
Yes, because the issue I want to be unbanned for isn't this specific vote (though this vote is part of it), but the general issue that there are two separate communities at loggerheads jammed together into "one" community. The constant arguing, demonizing, rants and removal PRs that generate a hundred comments in minutes before they're locked, etc, those are permanent. They will never stop until one of the two sides is permanently excised. There will be another vote, or somesuch, unless one of the admins or hosts or whatever other group has power decides to interfere. And I've long since decided to side with the not-furry group for various reasons, so I'm with them until the war is won.

I'd hardly call myself a beacon of hope, but if the votes are so closely tied that it's literally down to a difference of 3 votes, then clearly even a few more people on either side could make a significant difference.

And you're saying "haven't contacted in over half a year" as if it's a bad thing. I didn't leave, I was banished, and I have faithfully adhered to that banishment. Yes, originally the banishment was going to be for less than half of a year, but I thought that that was far too lenient a punishment for the good of the community and so requested that it be made permanent. And from that point on, I remained banished. I've browsed the forums and the subreddit and watched as the game evolved on github, but I've never done anything more than watch, and I've suppressed any and all desire to play because it would hurt the community to do it. I haven't even played any other SS13 server in the meantime.

I'm coming back now, not because I think the banishment should be rescinded; that's your choice, not mine. I'm coming back because I believe it would hurt the community more to stay banished than to violate it under specific circumstances. As far as I'm concerned, being "banned" or not doesn't really make a difference as to the banishment, it's just a technical limitation that i'm requesting be lifted so that i can contribute to the fight whenever I can, in whatever way I can; even if i'm unbanned, I'm still banished, i'm still not wanted here.

If you prefer that I actually play and contribute to the community in whole again, instead of just watching from the sidelines and joining in as necessary to help the community, by all means come to a consensus on that matter and decide whether or not you, the community, would prefer me to be here or not. In general the impression I've gotten is "not", as shown by that meme-comic someone posted about me before it was deleted, and the numerous other deleted posts, and my impression of everyone else's impression of me from back when I could play. But until then don't accuse me of ignoring the community when I am doing exactly what you want; staying away unless absolutely necessary.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #448680

Inflicting a rule 0 on someone because they don't like catpeople is a slippery slope
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #448682

Nilons wrote:Inflicting a rule 0 on someone because they don't like catpeople is a slippery slope
They have an extremely bad history, it's not even the cat people thing.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #448687

But they weren't banned for their history, now you're just reaching for stuff to justify keeping a voluntary ban because you disagree with their reason to come back.

You joyously unban and give second chances to worse players (me for example) and then turn around and think this guy that requested a permaban shouldn't be allowed back just because he dislikes pixels on someone's characters, even though he didn't break any rules to be permabanned, and then try to justify it?

Fuck off
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #448702

D&B wrote: You joyously unban and give second chances to worse players (me for example) and then turn around and think this guy that requested a permaban shouldn't be allowed back just because he dislikes pixels on someone's characters, even though he didn't break any rules to be permabanned, and then try to justify it?
I was very much against your unban, so please don't use that as part of your conspiracy that it's about cat ears and not about being an intolerable human being.

In fact I think we should be harder on people who are disappropriately negative/miserable/toxic whatever you want to call it.

This wasn't an out of the blue request mind you, this was a request during the investigation that involved him spawning literally 500 monkies in the hallway and nearly crashing the server.

Either way this thread is derailing fast, it's a headmin decision now.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #450994

It was definitely painful having to read through several paragraphs of a rant about catgirls when saying, "it was a requested permaban for a non-permanent ban, please unban me" would have sufficed.
Regardless, I spoke to the banning admin and he said your ban would have been a month at most, not permanent. Your notes are pretty terrible, but that one-month ban period has long since passed, so your ban has been lifted.