Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

[MortoSasye] Kryson - Naming policy violation note appeal

Post by Kryson » #459382

Byond account: Kryson
Character name: DePantherius X
Involved admin: MortoSasye

I was warned that my name was in violation of the naming policy and i was told i had to change it before next round. I was also told both my first name and last name were in violation and that felinid names are limited to "food names and regular human names".

My first name is clearly not a REGULAR human name, but it follows common African-American naming convention and it not "excessively OOC", it is exactly the type of name an African-American felinid would give their child. For real life examples of similar names see DeMarcus, DeAndre, etc.
If the standard is that you need to be able to find the name in a phone book I would wager a large percentage of the playerbase fail to live up to that standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-A ... tive_names

But the most confounding part is that the admin in question claim my last name "X" is not a valid name, when thousands of people go by that name every day in real life! The X last name is in fact quite common amongst the ~50 000 followers of the Nation of Islam religion. It is certainly not implausible this last name would survive 500 years into the future, especially considering the legacy of Malcolm X.

https://ask.metafilter.com/131876/On-th ... n-of-Islam

I think both names are fine as they are something a catperson of color on a futuristic space station could conceivably be called. But should my first name still be considered to be in violation after this appeal, I at least suggest my note should be edited to indicate that my last name "X" is a valid name.

Thank you for reading my appeal.
Malcolm X wrote:Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: [MortoSasye] Kryson - Naming policy violation note appeal

Post by Nervere » #459404

Admins can choose to intervene if they feel your name is dumb, and tell you to change it. Typically this happens when the name is excessively OOC, but it also happens when names are silly or flat out ridiculous.
I'm not going to argue with any admin who says that naming your catboy using the odd naming conventions of the Nation of Islam is ridiculous.

Also,
Kryson wrote: I was also told both my first name and last name were in violation and that felinid names are limited to "food names and regular human names".
MortoSasye shouldn't have told you this, it's not true. Technically we don't have species-specific naming conventions (at the moment), but "food names" are not an accepted naming convention for felinids.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #459438

Is there anyway I can get the entire admin team to pre screen and green light my future character names? I'm sure such a diverse group of individuals are going to have different standards of what is silly to them.

I have to say that having to pass under the bar of the least creatively minded and most conservative member of the admin team(who ever that may be) seems a bit silly to me.

I do of course plan on abiding by any ruling the admin team makes.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #459693

No, you can't. It's not difficult to make a name that isn't ridiculous. When in doubt, use the random name function to find something acceptable.