[Coiax] istoprocent - OOC in ICly Note Appeal

Appeals which have been closed.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

[Coiax] istoprocent - OOC in ICly Note Appeal

Post by Istoprocent1 » #462813

Byond account and character name: istoprocent - krokodil
Banning admin: Coiax
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Unfair note under rule 2.
Ban reason and length: Warned, kept using the roundtype in an OOC manner, "its hiveminds" ,"it might be hiveminds", "hiveminds confirmed".
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2018-12-16 18:24:57
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil
Your side of the story: The round type was Assimilators and we figured out that there are hiveminds among us. It is referring to the situation or active threat and there is no round type called Hiveminds. This happened 1-2 rounds after Coiax held another vote for Donut and I openly criticized it. May or may not have made things personal for him and he may or may not have decided to get back at me by tarnishing my reputation as a player.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I think the note should be deleted, because its unfair. I was thinking of making an admin complaint as Coiax seemed to refuse to handle other policy or rule violations, even when presented with. Which makes him apply policies and rules selectively.

Rounds 98766, 98770 (TRAITOR CONFIRMED uttered over comms) and 98771 (REVS CONFIRMED and REVS ARE CONFIRMED uttered over comms by multiple people) all contained similar violations or some obscure policy violation, such as Fortifying Brig.
coiax
Byond Username: Coiax

Re: [Coiax] istoprocent - OOC in ICly Note Appeal

Post by coiax » #462817

As an admin, I often hold votes to choose the next map, but I don't have any particular bias towards any maps, I more have a bias towards elaborate voting systems. It's perfectly within the realm of admin fiat to just choose a map round after round without any player input, but I wanted to I suppose get players involved more in map selection, when the map rotation code often selects maps that seem unpopular with almost everyone who complains about them on OOC.

In the previous years, I noted some admins trying hard to get people to stop talking about the "round type" so blatantly in IC chat, and I felt that was something to strive towards.

So when I noticed you doing that, I messaged you, explained how I felt, and left a note. I was also more motivated to leave a note, because in the conversation that we had over ahelps, you disagreed strongly with my assertions.

I then went back, as a Trialmin, and checked with my trainers and other admins that I had acted properly in doing this, and got no suggestions I had acted out of order.

I did not respond to your constant ahelps afterwards pointing out other language you thought was "IC in OOC", because I felt that your motives in reporting such language was less about your upset with rules infraction, and more about a minor note you had recieved, which had previously complained at great length in my admin complaint thread.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #462825

[2018-12-16 18:10:42.997] SAY: Istoprocent/(Krokodil) "Tanner doesnt have an implant it might be hiveminds!" (Fore Primary Hallway (106, 158, 2))
-snip-
[2018-12-16 18:11:24.355] SAY: Istoprocent/(Krokodil) "Start implanting crew, if Tanner wasnt cloned its hiveminds." (Port Bow Maintenance (76, 165, 2))
-snip-
[2018-12-16 18:13:48.913] SAY: Istoprocent/(Krokodil) "Hiveminds confirmed" (Brig (111, 167, 2))
-snip-
[2018-12-16 18:14:54.447] SAY: Istoprocent/(Krokodil) "We need more implants, its hiveminds." (Brig (113, 165, 2))

https://tgstation13.org/raw-logs/basil/ ... 3/game.log

Lines omitted between each line of text for irrelevancy.

The issue isn't saying hivemind or assimilators, both are fine. The issue is "Its [game mode/antag]".
Last edited by PKPenguin321 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed response to delete
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #462833

coiax wrote:As an admin, I often hold votes to choose the next map, but I don't have any particular bias towards any maps, I more have a bias towards elaborate voting systems. It's perfectly within the realm of admin fiat to just choose a map round after round without any player input, but I wanted to I suppose get players involved more in map selection, when the map rotation code often selects maps that seem unpopular with almost everyone who complains about them on OOC.
Coming in and saying "You know what time it is and then going DONUT with few hypemen backing you up and then voting for an unpopular map, which most of the time results in server population dropping.
coiax wrote: In the previous years, I noted some admins trying hard to get people to stop talking about the "round type" so blatantly in IC chat, and I felt that was something to strive towards.

So when I noticed you doing that, I messaged you, explained how I felt, and left a note. I was also more motivated to leave a note, because in the conversation that we had over ahelps, you disagreed strongly with my assertions.

I then went back, as a Trialmin, and checked with my trainers and other admins that I had acted properly in doing this, and got no suggestions I had acted out of order.
I don't know where you are getting this as I even in ahelps I said sure as I wanted that unreasonable interruption of my round to be done with, since everybody is saying "Its X".
coiax wrote:I did not respond to your constant ahelps afterwards pointing out other language you thought was "IC in OOC", because I felt that your motives in reporting such language was less about your upset with rules infraction, and more about a minor note you had recieved, which had previously complained at great length in my admin complaint thread.
You are trying to play up my saltiness and butthurt by saying that I did something to a great length, while in reality I was merely defending my points against shitposters. Its not about being upset, its about holding everybody to the same standard and being a neutral referee. Applying rules selectively is a big no-no. I was helping you out as in the admin feedback thread people pointed out that admins are not omniscient and all help is welcome. Either its all okay or none of it is okay - you shouldn't play favorites or gun down people you dislike. Some pretty prominent names used "REVS CONFIRMED" in the 3rd round that was brought up.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #462835

So you're asking us to uphold the rules non-selectively.

OK we'll do that as we have been. I still see 0 reason for this appeal other than soapboxing. Perhaps this is a peanut post and if the headmins decide it is please delete it. But you aren't asking for an appeal, you're salty you got caught breaking a rule and others didn't get caught. If they get caught they will receive the same punishment as you have done.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #462836

Rustledjimm wrote:So you're asking us to uphold the rules non-selectively.

OK we'll do that as we have been. I still see 0 reason for this appeal other than soapboxing. Perhaps this is a peanut post and if the headmins decide it is please delete it. But you aren't asking for an appeal, you're salty you got caught breaking a rule and others didn't get caught. If they get caught they will receive the same punishment as you have done.
I wasn't breaking any rules and if I was then Mike Murdock, Lexia Black and all the others were breaking it as well and you can note us all.

Edit: And if thats the case, then Coiax has been refusing to apply the same standards to all people, which makes an admin complaint a valid option.
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #462837

OK I'll go through logs when I get back from holiday and note everyone that's broken this rule.

Also you're implying he is omniscient and sees all.

Guess what admins are only human. Stop being so salty that you got caught and others just so happened to not. It's starting to look really pathetic.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #462839

Saying revs confirmed isn’t against the rules.

Saying its revs is.

Theres a difference and I don’t think you can distinguish it.
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #462843

wesoda25 wrote:Saying revs confirmed isn’t against the rules.

Saying its revs is.

Saying REVS is short for saying ITS REVS, because one can ask a question "What is?"

English is a second language to me, but its clear that the intent wasn't to reference to the round type, but to reference to the threat.

Meanwhile all the warden's getting noted up for using barriers at the start of the shift. Is this the kind of experience we are all looking for? To focus on nitpicking and finding loopholes over semantics?
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #462845

Rustledjimm wrote:OK I'll go through logs when I get back from holiday and note everyone that's broken this rule.

Also you're implying he is omniscient and sees all.

Guess what admins are only human. Stop being so salty that you got caught and others just so happened to not. It's starting to look really pathetic.
You are misquoting me. I said that "people said that admins are not omniscient", which I agree with. I was providing him help to notice rule and policy violations, which he could have otherwise selectively ignore.

Edit: What is pathetic is you dogpiling on a single member of the community just to save face of another admin.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #462848

Istoprocent1 wrote:

Saying its revs is.

Saying REVS is short for saying ITS REVS, because one can ask a question "What is?"

English is a second language to me, but its clear that the intent wasn't to reference to the round type, but to reference to the threat.

Meanwhile all the warden's getting noted up for using barriers at the start of the shift. Is this the kind of experience we are all looking for? To focus on nitpicking and finding loopholes over semantics?
So according to you, "we have caught the revolutionaries" is the same as "we have caught the its revolutionaries". When you say revs confirmed, you are referencing an IC threat. If you say its revs, you are referencing the game mode.

If you need more help with syntax and semantics there are better places than ban appeal and admin feedback threads.
Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #462849

It's amusing because if anything I've removed more admins than anyone for misconduct and not being up to the quality expected of the admin team.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #462850

wesoda25 wrote:
Istoprocent1 wrote:

Saying its revs is.

So according to you, "we have caught the revolutionaries" is the same as "we have caught the its revolutionaries". When you say revs confirmed, you are referencing an IC threat. If you say its revs, you are referencing the game mode.

If you need more help with syntax and semantics there are better places than ban appeal and admin feedback threads.
Edit: At times some may fall through the cracks and end up in a position of power, which can be detrimental in the wrong run. Better vet early.

According to you on the otherhand "We have a revolution" = "Revolutionaries Confirmed". Again calling out the threat, which is not a living being is IT, so "Its hiveminds" = "The present threat is hiveminds".
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #462852

To hopefully clarify,

saying it's X implies there can only be a singular threat to the station at any time. This is only true because you (the player) know that the antagonist is dictated by a gamemode. You never hear people say "IT'S ABDUCTORS" or "IT'S MORPH" although they are also threats to the station which is why admins get upset when people use it.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #462859

Cobby wrote:To hopefully clarify,

saying it's X implies there can only be a singular threat to the station at any time. This is only true because you (the player) know that the antagonist is dictated by a gamemode. You never hear people say "IT'S ABDUCTORS" or "IT'S MORPH" although they are also threats to the station which is why admins get upset when people use it.
If you put it in a sentece, then it makes sense.
A: Whats the situation?
B: Its the abductors, man, they are lurking in the boiler room. / There are abductors, man. is as correct.

It boils down to petty nitpicking using some niche rulings, which aren't meant to be used Rules As Written - This page does not replace the rules and whenever possible the rules should be referred to instead of this page.

Saying "Its X" (threat) over "There are X" (beings or a threat if singular such as "There is a X") is not in the main rules and the intent of saying "Its X" is not to break the OOC in IC rule.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #462861

Istoprocent1 wrote: If you put it in a sentece, then it makes sense.
A: Whats the situation?
B: Its the abductors, man, they are lurking in the boiler room. / There are abductors, man. is as correct.
I'd be good with that but can you prove using logs that this is what happened for any of these lines:
BeeSting12 wrote:[2018-12-16 18:10:42.997] SAY: Istoprocent/(Krokodil) "Tanner doesnt have an implant it might be hiveminds!" (Fore Primary Hallway (106, 158, 2))
-snip-
[2018-12-16 18:11:24.355] SAY: Istoprocent/(Krokodil) "Start implanting crew, if Tanner wasnt cloned its hiveminds." (Port Bow Maintenance (76, 165, 2))
-snip-
[2018-12-16 18:13:48.913] SAY: Istoprocent/(Krokodil) "Hiveminds confirmed" (Brig (111, 167, 2))
-snip-
[2018-12-16 18:14:54.447] SAY: Istoprocent/(Krokodil) "We need more implants, its hiveminds." (Brig (113, 165, 2))

The issue isn't saying hivemind or assimilators, both are fine. The issue is "Its [game mode/antag]".
If not, then you're breaking a rule, and as a result, the note is both factually correct and consistent with our policies/rules, nor is it overly harsh as it just gives the facts. That would mean it's an invalid appeal. See this page for the rules on appealing notes: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13422
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #462862

https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/bas ... -98723.zip -- fixed link

What question was asked/context provided that you would respond with "It's [the] hivemind"?

To be clear if you can explain it in a way in which you ACTUALLY used the phrase using the log file I just linked instead of a hypothetical that very rarely applies I'd be very much for the removal of the note since my sole issue is referring to the gamemode as a gamemode in IC, which I think you were (albeit probably unintentionally) doing here.

Also beesting's link is cr4p
Last edited by Cobby on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #462863

BeeSting12 wrote: I'd be good with that but can you prove using logs that this is what happened for any of these lines:
BeeSting12 wrote:[2018-12-16 18:10:42.997] SAY: Istoprocent/(Krokodil) "Tanner doesnt have an implant it might be hiveminds!" (Fore Primary Hallway (106, 158, 2))
-snip-
-snip-
-snip-

I get that the main idea is to always find fault in the player and protect the admins, while trying to make the appealer run out of gas by redirecting focus everywhere. In reality is what was meant with the sentences:

"it might be hiveminds" - The present threat might be hiveminds.
"its hiveminds" - The present threat is hiveminds.
"hiveminds confirmed" - The threat of hiveminds have been established. (this one i would have the most beef with, then again revs confirmed would be problematic as well)

The appeal stands as there was no OOC in IC. The intent wasn't to OOC in IC - such as saying "round" or "validhunter" or anything OOC.

Edit: It would be like saying you can't say lings, because it refers to the round type changeligns. Always have to use "carbon based non-human lifeform with shapeshifting abilities". We are heading towards word policing territory.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #462864

It looks like you spent most of your tank on trying to call out a nonexistent admin conspiracy. That doesn't get you very good miles per gallon, I'd recommend actually trying to prove your innocence or getting the policy changed in policy discussion.

I also don't see an issue with "Hiveminds confirmed", I just included it because I ctrl f'ed hivemind and got those four lines from you before coiax bwoinked you.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #462865

BeeSting12 wrote:It looks like you spent most of your tank on trying to call out a nonexistent admin conspiracy. That doesn't get you very good miles per gallon, I'd recommend actually trying to prove your innocence or getting the policy changed in policy discussion.

I also don't see an issue with "Hiveminds confirmed", I just included it because I ctrl f'ed hivemind and got those four lines from you before coiax bwoinked you.
I think I have proven my point that there was no OOC in IC nor any intent to OOC in IC, even if one applied niche rule of OOCing ICly.

Its a fact that the group is as strong as its weakest link and people in groups tend to cover for another. Say a cop not noticing a key piece of detail in order to save his partner from the law etc.

Edit: 3. Do not say in character (IC) things in the out of character (OOC) chat channel. Do not say OOC things in IC either. There is an exception for OOC in IC where terms like 'clickdrag X to Y, or look for the tab' is used to help a player.

There is no round type called Hiveminds nor are there any antags called Hiveminds. Its Assimilators and Hivemind Hosts.

Edit 2: People who belong to a hive and practice groupthink are hiveminds.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #463001

Denied. This note is factual and is not unfairly negative to your standing in other admins eyes. It's also a good enforcement of our rules on OOC in IC.

I appreciate the distinction might seem nitpicky to some, but the point is that even if we're "lowRP" that we are still "RP". We try to keep the concept of the gamemode of the round out of IC, and the particular wording used here does matter.

As a personal point of advice to OP, I'm going to note that the way they've reacted to being noted, in game and out, has done more to harm his image in the eyes of random admins then this note would ever have done. If you disagree with a note, appeal it, but don't waste everyone's time by trying to get "gotcha!"s in on the banning admin because you think they have it out for you.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg