Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

[Nervere] Timonk - Heads Role Ban appeal

Post by Timonk » #490510

Byond account and character name: Timonk - Kobe Koster
Banning admin: Nervere
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Heads
Ban reason and length:
Banned from Roles: Captain, Head of Personnel, Head of Security, Chief Engineer, Research Director, Chief Medical Officer for 2 weeks - As the captain, locked down a cyborg who had just rescued a corpse they recently executed. Reason being that they were independent (unsynced) and this made them suspicious because of their actions. The cyborg's laws were asimov. Later, after freeing the cyborg from lockdown, locked him down again after he saw another "independent" cyborg, to deny his ability to get on the shuttle, and also because he was rude. Denying someone the ability to play in the round for so long because they were unsynced from the AI is bad, and it's especially bad to metagame the shuttle like that.

Time ban was placed (including time zone): today, ~3.30pm EST
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil
Your side of the story:

i was locking a supsicious, independent and rude borg down after he dragged a human into space (not displayed in note), that was possibly dead (im unsure). after i locked the borg down he got incredibly rude but was more or less cooperating, after which i say "call me a retard one more time and ill lock you down again" and i was suspicious of him because you could give independent borgs their own laws (im paranoid, i know). after a while i checked the console again while the shuttle was arriving and i saw a second independent borg. i locked both down and asked them again why they were independent while the second borg had a good excuse, the other borg URM(who i locked down earlier) continued to be rude and giving me a bad excuse ("i was a roundstart borg", the ai was also roundstart) so i decided to keep him locked down while the shuttle arrived and left. he also ock icked while being locked down ("im a roundstart borg", should i just ghost so you can fuck off?")

Why you think you should be unbanned:
pretty shitty move of me to leave him locked down but i simply didnt feel save around him especially after the rudeness and the bad excuses, the station was also bombed to fuck. it was just pure chaos, i may have made a bad desicion but that was purely because of lack of time, as i could have deconstructed and rebuilt him (or simply synched to the ai)
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: [Nervere] Timonk - Heads Role Ban appeal

Post by Nervere » #491456

The problem with your behavior, and the reason why I banned you, is because a cyborg being unsynced from the AI is not itself a crime, and does not warrant locking down the cyborg for an extended period of time.
The first time you locked him down, it was because he had taken the body of a prisoner you just executed, and also because he was unsynced. To me, this is just the cyborg doing its job after you harm a human and the human calls out for help.
To your credit, he was removed from lockdown after about 10 minutes, but then he got locked down again. This time, the lockdown lasted the rest of the round. I heavily suspect that the reason you locked him down the second time was more because he was rude to you and less because you saw a second unsynced cyborg. In either case, permanent lockdown is not an acceptable solution.

The reason why they were not synced to the AI, as I told you in ahelps, was because both cyborgs had undergone a module change, and the roboticist had cut their law sync wire in doing so.
You mentioned in ahelps and this appeal that your actions were partially motivated by paranoia caused by the lawsync. I can sympathize with this argument, but it has its limits. You are free to act upon this paranoia within reason, but permanent lockdown is too far. You had plenty of time to work on the issue, a sum total of about 30 minutes, but in that time the cyborg simply remained locked in place, not having its laws changed or lawsync restored.

Lastly, as you've said yourself, the cyborg was locked for the shuttle ride too because you wanted to deny them any potential objective completion they would get by being on the shuttle.
This is pretty meta, and gives credit to the idea that your actions weren't entirely well-intentioned.

I decided to give a head role ban for this instead of a server ban or RD ban because the issue here is misuse of authority, which is something you have a history with, looking back at your previous permaban from captain, and your two warnings after that for problems in command roles.
I am denying your appeal, I hope you can understand why.