[TheMidnightRose] Fornax S - Ban for Repeated "IC in OOC"

Post by T1MM5H » #491337

Byond account and character name: T1MM5H - Fornax S
Banning admin: TheMidnightRose
Ban type: Playban
Ban reason and length: 30 Minutes/IC in OOC
Time ban was placed: 2019-04-29 00:38 Server Time
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Terry
Your side of the story: During a Blob outbreak, the AI flooded Plasma into the Atmosphere. Shortly after, a captain's Announcement was made, that the AI was "Almost Free". I assumed the AI Player had decided to randomly fill the Air with Plasma because "Muh filthy meatbags". I criticized what i thought was murderboning on the side of a free AI in OOC. It turned out i was wrong, and that was a ruse.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I understand the problem with IC in OOC. I would be okay with the ban if it was not for the Captain's Announcement stating the AI was free. At this point i considered the Information that the AI was free to be "out", and not exactly impactful to the round's progression. I understand that i have a problem with IC in OOC, but that is mostly because of these kinds of misunderstandings and not intentional. Therfore i would argue that escalating ban times further would be kind of a dick move.
Sincerely, T1MM5H
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Re: [TheMidnightRose] Fornax S - Ban for Repeated "IC in OOC"

Post by Okand37 » #491344

Regardless of whether or not you believe the information to be publicly available, the rules state that you should never reference the round.
Rule 3 is as follows:
Do not say in character (IC) things in the out of character (OOC) chat channel.
As well, a related precedent of Rule 3:
References to the current round, even if vague; is still considered being IC in OOC.
The IC in OOC rule is a blanket rule. The information could be as trivially or as universally known as it comes, but it's still considered sharing IC (in character) information in the OOC (out of character) channel. We completely disallow any referencing of the round whatsoever in any OOC medium until the round has ended. Even if the information doesn't seem impactful or abusable, you shouldn't ever reference the current ongoing round in OOC. You've been warned of this behaviour before, and escalating punishments up with repeated instances is a regular practice of the administration team, and likely a result of the following notes you've received prior:

Code: Select all

2019-03-27 18:03:14: Warned for IC in OOC - OOC: T1MM5H: why was i instamurdered by a syndictae
2019-04-08 16:02:33: Second warning for IC in OOC - OOC: T1MM5H: I'm dissecting someone right now so this music fits - No matter the context, don't talk about the current round.
2019-04-08 16:12:19: Banned from the server for 15 minutes - IC in OOC - we literally just warned you for this in the same round, don't talk about events of the ongoing round in OOC
2019-04-28 21:36:28: Warned - Once again, intentional IC in OOC.

I hope that clears up the misunderstandings you mentioned you had in your post!
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
TheMidnghtRose
Byond Username: TheMidnightRose

Post by TheMidnghtRose » #491345

Honestly, Okand37 puts in quite nicely. In the round I was watching various things and when you yelled out some IC stuff in OOC I went ahead and did a blanket mute on the entire server for a few minutes, checked your notes, then just slapped a ban on you. This appeal is denied mostly due to you already have one other ban for the exact same reason. and about four notes.
Emerald Gleaner -/Roboticist/Replica AI Series
T1MM5H

Post by T1MM5H » #491349

Thanks for clearing that up. Still i'm hoping i don't get perma'd for this 5 years down the line when this stuff inevitably piles up. I have shitty self-control when it comes to communication, but i'll try to be more attentive. Would it be possible to transform playbans into OOC bans? I'm not trying to be malicious, and i could make do without OOC.
T1MM5H

Post by T1MM5H » #491350

I would suggest banning my ability to speak in OOC altogether. I dont have the kinda self-control to keep my mouth shut after 1 hour of gameplay...
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #491439

T1MM5H wrote:I would suggest banning my ability to speak in OOC altogether. I dont have the kinda self-control to keep my mouth shut after 1 hour of gameplay...
OOC bans affect dead chat too. If you want to request a ban for something ahelp when an admin is on.

Also notes 'fade' after a while and unless they are severe they generally will not influence a ban decision a year or so later.
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #491441

Not much more to do here. Please don't do it again if you don't want to be OOC banned.
Locked.
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try