Appeals which have been closed.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

[Hulk?/Oranges] Discord Ban

Post by terranaut » #501496

Discord ID: Terranaut#7054
Admin: The ban was placed at oranges behest by I assume Hulkamania
Time: Sometime last night about 9 hours or so ago
My side: I came into the discord to complain about the recent changes to wiring and the problems it caused for roundstart emitters needing to be powered by Pacmans, admittedly behaving a bit like a feral gorilla about it. Wjohnston, the man responsible, engaged me in conversation regardless and adressed my issues. Eventually the conversation shifted towards a planned atmos piping rework which was supposed to be in a similiar fashion, which I called shit, digg and dumbed down. Oranges told me to shut the fuck up before he fucks me up and I told him to suck my sweaty nuts which led to him banning me from the code channel. I immediately circumvented this by abusing discords shit permissions system to resume my conversation with Wjohnston. This ocurred twice more until I decided to let it rest and moved my conversation to a general channel to avoid further upsetting oranges at which point I was met with a serverban
Why I should be unbanned: because this is a literal hurt feelings ban
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Re: [Hulk?/Oranges] Discord Ban

Post by Hulkamania » #501497

This is not a "hurt feelings ban."

As per MSO, maintainers have the right to add special permissions to people in their channels to remove them/silence them. Also per MSO if people are evading this they open themselves up for a ban, which you did three times. We have banned a number of people who have used things like the bot to get around people who have blocked them, and this is in the same vein.

I'm interested to see if you have anything else to say about it as well as allowing oranges to chime in before I reach a complete verdict.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #501500

terranaut wrote:Discord ID: Terranaut#7054
Admin: The ban was placed at oranges behest by I assume Hulkamania
Time: Sometime last night about 9 hours or so ago
My side: I came into the discord to complain about the recent changes to wiring and the problems it caused for roundstart emitters needing to be powered by Pacmans, admittedly behaving a bit like a feral gorilla about it. Wjohnston, the man responsible, engaged me in conversation regardless and adressed my issues. Eventually the conversation shifted towards a planned atmos piping rework which was supposed to be in a similiar fashion, which I called shit, digg and dumbed down. Oranges told me to shut the fuck up before he fucks me up and I told him to suck my sweaty nuts which led to him banning me from the code channel.
Really out of the scope for this appeal, but I dont' have to entertain you shittalking someone trying to improve the game, especially not someone who has worked as hard as wjohn.
I immediately circumvented this by abusing discords shit permissions system to resume my conversation with Wjohnston.
This ocurred twice more until I decided to let it rest and moved my conversation to a general channel to avoid further upsetting oranges at which point I was met with a serverban
Why I should be unbanned: because this is a literal hurt feelings ban
It could have stayed hurt feelings that we could have resolved later if you hadn't been so intent of continuing your argument with wjohn after I stopped you, but you had to try to flex more and keep digging and you've earned yourself a deserved server ban because of it.

Given that you left the server three times to avoid the supression so you could keep attacking wjohn, I think the only person with hurt feelings was you.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #501514

oranges wrote: Really out of the scope for this appeal, but I dont' have to entertain you shittalking someone trying to improve the game, especially not someone who has worked as hard as wjohn.
No, you don't, that's very much true and I apologize to him for attacking him over a code change I disagree with. It was extremely unreasonable and rude from me at the very least. However I feel you didn't exclude me out of the channel for attacking him, as that had long stopped by the time you applied the restriction, the restriction came right after I told you off. At that point I was talking normally to him and discussing the planned atmos piping changes.
It could have stayed hurt feelings that we could have resolved later if you hadn't been so intent of continuing your argument with wjohn after I stopped you, but you had to try to flex more and keep digging and you've earned yourself a deserved server ban because of it.
I was talking to him normally at that point, intent to have a normal discussion. I don't believe he felt hassled by me or he would've said as much or stopped engaging me but if he did then I apologize for that aswell. As I said I ended up respecting the restriction and left the code channel alone. I wouldn't have circumvented a restriction like that to harass somebody because it is indeed not my driving desire to harass someone.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #501652

As a general community precedent, it's been looked poorly upon to circumvent intentional restrictions to ability to participate, whether your intent was good or bad.

We still ban people who ban evade on the game server even if they played entirely within the rules while ban evading - the systems exist for a reason and while you can disagree with their usage, it's not really acceptable to circumvent them just because you feel like it.

While obviously this is a discord matter rather then game server one, the general principle appears to be the same here.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #501750

I'm going to be denying this appeal for the time being. You admit that you were intentionally avoiding the restrictions placed on you by leaving and rejoining, and that's obviously not okay to do regardless of the situation. You were upset and I get that, but there's really nothing stopping you from getting upset once again and doing something similar in the future.

However due to the fact that discord bans are permanent, I'm willing to allow you to appeal again in a months time instead of the usual year between permanent appeals. As has been mentioned by both myself and Ari, when people are circumventing administrative actions placed upon them, we take that very seriously.